Post Reply Legendary Co-Founder of Studio Ghibli Isao Takahata recently passed away.
mxdan 
11779 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 4/9/18 , edited 4/9/18
I'm surprised there wasn't a thread made about this already... For those of you that don't know Isao was the primary force behind Panda! Go, Panda! (Which probably influenced My neighbor Totoro's aesthetic.) He also wrote and directed Grave of the Fireflies (One of my personal favorites besides Porco Rosso) and was a friend and colleague to Miyazaki throughout a lot of his life.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/isao-takahata-poignant-japanese-director-who-co-founded-studio-ghibli-dies-at-82/2018/04/08/bdd05a58-3b3a-11e8-a7d1-e4efec6389f0_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d1adde5d4b47

DP0083 
16131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/9/18
Anime has lost one of its great talents with the death of Isao Takahata. Condolences to his family and friends on their terrible loss.
19 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / M / Heaven
Offline
Posted 4/9/18
Rest in peace.
17207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 4/9/18 , edited 4/9/18
I'm sure I have seen a thread from a few days ago.

Correction, it was over in the news section.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/04/05/legendary-anime-director-isao-takahata-passes-away-at-82
Posted 4/9/18
Such precious memories, here the opening from one of his beloved series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrbgE6Nj8M
5022 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 4/11/18
Rest in peace
119241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 16 days ago , edited 16 days ago
One of my local independent non-profit theaters (aw heck, I'll give them a plug--it's the Brattle Theatre in Harvard Square) has been running a "Tribute to Takahata" series (started last week). The Tale of the Princess Kaguya filled all seats last night and it was beautiful. I am so very, very glad I went.

I saw Pom Poko last week, but decided not to see Grave of the Fireflies since that was one I had already seen and I'm not much for rewatching things.

Tomorrow they're doing a double feature of My Neighbors the Yamadas and Only Yesterday. I expect to be there. Gotta use up my membership passes before they expire anyway Oh darn!

Looks like they fit in all the work he wrote and directed for Ghibli. What a nice little package.

Tonight it's The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness--a documentary focused on a year at Studio Ghibli (when Miyasaki's The Wind Rises and Takahata's The Tale of the Princess Kaguya were being completed.

25686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Imouto Sanctuary
Online
Posted 16 days ago

lorreen wrote:

One of my local independent non-profit theaters (aw heck, I'll give them a plug--it's the Brattle Theatre in Harvard Square) has been running a "Tribute to Takahata" series (started last week). The Tale of the Princess Kaguya filled all seats last night and it was beautiful. I am so very, very glad I went.

I saw Pom Poko last week, but decided not to see Grave of the Fireflies since that was one I had already seen and I'm not much for rewatching things.

Tomorrow they're doing a double feature of My Neighbors the Yamadas and Only Yesterday. I expect to be there. Gotta use up my membership passes before they expire anyway Oh darn!

Looks like they fit in all the work he wrote and directed for Ghibli. What a nice little package.

Tonight it's The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness--a documentary focused on a year at Studio Ghibli (when Miyasaki's The Wind Rises and Takahata's The Tale of the Princess Kaguya were being completed.



Aw yes, he wrote My Neighbors, The Yamadas. Quirky slice of life family movie, but one held dear to my heart, after all these years. I hope you enjoy yourself tonight, Lorreen. The Kingdom of Dreams And Madness, huh? I shall have to watch that soon now that I am aware it exists!
119241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 15 days ago , edited 15 days ago

PeripheralVisionary wrote:
Aw yes, he wrote My Neighbors, The Yamadas. Quirky slice of life family movie, but one held dear to my heart, after all these years. I hope you enjoy yourself tonight, Lorreen. The Kingdom of Dreams And Madness, huh? I shall have to watch that soon now that I am aware it exists!


It was really good, and I would recommend it. However it is really quite centered on Miyasaki and The Wind Also Rises and doesn't deal much with Takahata and Princess Kaguya. There is some talk among others about doubts of Takahata finishing it (or finishing it anything like on schedule), but we really only see Takahata himself in brief footage from the past and in a brief conversation with Miyasaki and Suzuki in the main footage.

Miyasaki though -- what a chatterbox. I found listening to what he chatted about enjoyable.

Also, goats.
4274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / BuBbLeS!
Offline
Posted 15 days ago
aww RIP, but at least he put in a good long life and wasn't taken early. not to mention he will be legend for generations to come due to the legends he was behind. he will be missed, but too bad he was taken out by lung cancer, he could have lived longer, but that's how life plays her cruelty I'm afraid.
119241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 14 days ago

PeripheralVisionary wrote:
Aw yes, he wrote My Neighbors, The Yamadas. Quirky slice of life family movie, but one held dear to my heart, after all these years.


It was soooo good! Completely delightful.

119241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 2 days ago

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

The Kingdom of Dreams And Madness, huh? I shall have to watch that soon now that I am aware it exists!


And hey, look what just showed up on Crunchyroll. You have no excuse not to watch it soon:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/the-kingdom-of-dreams-and-madness

25686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Imouto Sanctuary
Online
Posted one day ago

lorreen wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

The Kingdom of Dreams And Madness, huh? I shall have to watch that soon now that I am aware it exists!


And hey, look what just showed up on Crunchyroll. You have no excuse not to watch it soon:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/the-kingdom-of-dreams-and-madness



Thank you Lorreen!

I shall watch it soon, but I got a job with tutoring, and now classes. Life is heck.
119241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted one day ago

PeripheralVisionary wrote:
but I got a job with tutoring, and now classes. Life is heck.


Those are good excuses. I wish you the best with both tutoring and your own studies. (PM me to tell me more about what classes you are taking. I'm curious, but this thread isn't the place for too much off-topic chat).
You must be logged in to post.