First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Classical Art in Anime
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 2/18/08 , edited 2/18/08
After watching several anime series I started to notice that many animes pay tribute to classical artwork. Ergo Proxy was full of classical art from the Michaelangelo statues to the Roman ones in the library. There was also this scene

notice how it resembles the painting Ophelia (this was intentional as the episode name was Ophelia

Also the images in Elfin Lied's opening closely resemble paintings by Klimt



Lastly I even noticed an example of this in Claymore. When they were in the town of Pieta there's a statue in the backround that highly resembles Michaelangelo's statue Pieta


So what do you think about this and what other examples of this have you found?

Please post pictures and examples
Posted 2/18/08
I think they have a couple in Get Backers but I`m not sure .
I vaguely remember the characters talking about artworks .
Venus de Milo was in it .

There were also parts with paintings and characters talking about famous painters .
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 2/18/08

snow-chibi wrote:

I think they have a couple in Get Backers but I`m not sure .
I vaguely remember the characters talking about artworks .
Venus de Milo was in it .

There were also parts with paintings and characters talking about famous painters .


that's interesting. I also remember reading a post on a different forum on how the backrounds in Gilgamesh were all paintings by old masters
Posted 2/18/08

artgeek707 wrote:


snow-chibi wrote:

I think they have a couple in Get Backers but I`m not sure .
I vaguely remember the characters talking about artworks .
Venus de Milo was in it .

There were also parts with paintings and characters talking about famous painters .


that's interesting. I also remember reading a post on a different forum on how the backrounds in Gilgamesh were all paintings by old masters


Ooo ~ I`ve never really cared about how anime paid attention to other artworks .
It`s really interesting . I should pay more attention .
6119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Tulsa..A boring p...
Offline
Posted 2/18/08
i see alot of classical music like in evangelion they played pachabel's canon,ode to joy,suiten fur violoncello,and jesus bleibet meine freunde,also in kanon2006 they played pachabel's canon
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 2/18/08

snow-chibi wrote:


artgeek707 wrote:


snow-chibi wrote:

I think they have a couple in Get Backers but I`m not sure .
I vaguely remember the characters talking about artworks .
Venus de Milo was in it .

There were also parts with paintings and characters talking about famous painters .


that's interesting. I also remember reading a post on a different forum on how the backrounds in Gilgamesh were all paintings by old masters


Ooo ~ I`ve never really cared about how anime paid attention to other artworks .
It`s really interesting . I should pay more attention .


I didn't really care much either but things just kept popping up that would make me think, hey I've seen that somewhere. Didn't Naruto have a reference to the scream?


monkeyzamm wrote:

i see alot of classical music like in evangelion they played pachabel's canon,ode to joy,suiten fur violoncello,and jesus bleibet meine freunde,also in kanon2006 they played pachabel's canon


yeah in the last episode to Gunslinger Girl the characters sang (I think it was) Ode to Joy
Posted 2/18/08

artgeek707 wrote:

I didn't really care much either but things just kept popping up that would make me think, hey I've seen that somewhere. Didn't Naruto have a reference to the scream?


Did it really ? I`m not sure . Which episode is it ? I stopped watching Naruto ...
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 2/18/08

snow-chibi wrote:


artgeek707 wrote:

I didn't really care much either but things just kept popping up that would make me think, hey I've seen that somewhere. Didn't Naruto have a reference to the scream?


Did it really ? I`m not sure . Which episode is it ? I stopped watching Naruto ...


I think it was the episode where they try to remove Kakashi's mask, but i don't remember
Posted 2/18/08
who cares?
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 2/18/08

snow-chibi wrote:


artgeek707 wrote:

I didn't really care much either but things just kept popping up that would make me think, hey I've seen that somewhere. Didn't Naruto have a reference to the scream?


Did it really ? I`m not sure . Which episode is it ? I stopped watching Naruto ...



gotta love photobucket


Posted 2/18/08

artgeek707 wrote:


gotta love photobucket

LOL ! There we go ! Proof ! I watched that episode . I remember now . XD
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 2/18/08

snow-chibi wrote:


artgeek707 wrote:


gotta love photobucket

LOL ! There we go ! Proof ! I watched that episode . I remember now . XD

I think Excel Saga did the same thing but i can't remember wen. It's within the 1st few episodes
Posted 2/18/08

artgeek707 wrote:

I think Excel Saga did the same thing but i can't remember wen. It's within the 1st few episodes


Death Note had that scene from the bible . Not sure if that was considered art .
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 2/18/08

snow-chibi wrote:


artgeek707 wrote:

I think Excel Saga did the same thing but i can't remember wen. It's within the 1st few episodes


Death Note had that scene from the bible . Not sure if that was considered art .


oh the one in the opening? with him reaching for the apple, that's a copy from the sistine chapel ceiling (the japanese seem to love Michaelangelo)
Posted 2/18/08

artgeek707 wrote:

oh the one in the opening? with him reaching for the apple, that's a copy from the sistine chapel ceiling (the japanese seem to love Michaelangelo)


We`re the only ones here . >.> It seems that we`re the only smart ones . XD
We should keep track of all these art stuff in anime ! It makes it more interesting .
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.