First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Neon Genesis Evangelion and Rahxephon
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 12/6/06
You have to watch Rahxephon to the end. Like I said, I don't view it as being original, but I do beleive they improved upon Eva. Nothing seemed terribly random to me when I saw it, but it's been a while. But I've seen so much anime that character and storyling cliches don't really bug me. Of course, my idea of random is, say, Excel Saga. I suppose it would be fair to say that it is about "music," but what I mainly liked is it fealt as though there was resolution to it which I don't feel Eva really had. It's also a more positive series. I enjoy dark angsty and tragic stories as much if not more than the next guy, but just because a series is positive doesn't mean it's bad.

Like I said, I enjoy both series a great deal but pound for pound (including character design, production value, music, in addition to the actual story), Rahxephon is better. I would call Evangelion a "greater" series because it was extremely original in a genre that isn't known for originality.
843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 12/6/06

lusulpher wrote:


arx7arbalest wrote:

Exactly.
Also, the way people compare it is weird. I have seen people like Lusulpher take everything as a rip off of EVA. If your comparing quality thats one thing, which still shouldn't be compared if your considering if the anime is any good, but saying whether something is a rip off is another.


RahXephon compared to Evangelion, is like Chobits to DearS.

IT'S BLOODY FUCKIN' OBVIOUS!

I would have to be blind not to see it .
Evangelion is not the only show that I stated gets ripped off, it's the one that gets ripoffed the most, and I'm not counting homages.(Watch episode 1 of Fafner and tell me that ain't Nerv under attack from Sachiel, ep 1 of Eva)

And the fact remains that from RahXephon eps 1-13, RahXephon is still a crappy show. All those unended conversations are starting to take a toll on our club. Whenever a new plot event happens, we try to put into the overview of the show, WE CAN'T!

They are trying so hard to be mysterious, that they don't give any additional data in the plot. Characters just start acting wierder(usually when a song plays, or they state some random poetry), no motivation necessary

You keep saying it can stand on it's own, but that has to be one badass ending to make up for this crap.


hmm 2 points for fact

284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/6/06
I remember flipping through channels late at night and stumbling on Rahxephon. I was shocked at how blatant it was. It's like some exec at Fuji TV said "Hey, I heard something called evangelion is very popular. We should make it too!". I kinda feel sorry for people who were forced to work on this project. I think this was aired at same time as Kanon, which was equally atrocious but in a different way. I was able to endure Kanon till first commercial break (which I think was enough to lower my IQ), but I couldn't even take a minute of Rahxephon. It remains to this day the most ill conceived show ever created which I was unfortunate enough to bare witness to. Quite an incredible feat when you consider the depressingly huge number of crappy shows made after this.
697 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 12/6/06
People just see giant robots with teenages and think, OMG NGE Rip-off!!!!
55072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 12/6/06
Apparently you don't know what blatant means.
Blatant means obvious. Saying "I was shocked at how blatant it was" is like saying "Naruto is CHEESE at best."
You sound like a partisan politician rather than someone who is trying to say something. You throw in Kanon randomly which has nothing to do with Rahxephon OR Evangelion. You just wasted a paragraph looking like a moron that knows how to spell.

Lusulpher
Whether Rahxephon is horrible or not really depends on tastes and since you can't understand it, as you have stated in your past post, then how can you say its bad after looking at Evangelion, which takes several views and you still don't catch everything.
The fact is that they're plots DON'T paralell and therefore isn't a rip-off.
All I have heard is ITS OBVIOUS. Name one GOOD example where I haven't seen it at least once in a mecha before EVA. So many scenes are so cliched from anything past 1990 that its not even funny. However, Evangelion DID do what it does best. That is how I rate anime.
With out all the comments comparing Rahxephon and EVA, it would almost seem as if it was trying to be the exact opposite of EVA. A lot of people who finish the series and still compare to EVA can even see it as a way of ridiculing EVAs thoughts on humanity by creating an opposing view.



FlyinAsian wrote:

People just see giant robots with teenages and think, OMG NGE Rip-off!!!!


What are you talking about man? Gundam Seed was a total rip-off of NGE. Kira was all like "I don't wanna fight cause its gay." And hes a teenager just like the guy from NGE. That Captain chick is totally like Misato because shes hot and doing that good looking guy like Misato and Kaji.
284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/6/06

arx7arbalest wrote:

Apparently you don't know what blatant means.
Blatant means obvious. Saying "I was shocked at how blatant it was" is like saying "Naruto is CHEESE at best."

Uh, I think you are the one who is confused here.


arx7arbalest wrote:

You throw in Kanon randomly which has nothing to do with Rahxephon OR Evangelion.

Huh? I checked it just now, Kanon was indeed aired on same channel (Fuji TV) and in same season as Rahxephon (Rahxephon on Monday & Kanon on Wednesday). And that's exactly why I brought it up. Some of us actually saw it on time, you know.
55072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 12/6/06

zbohpfjsxkelcf wrote:


arx7arbalest wrote:

Apparently you don't know what blatant means.
Blatant means obvious. Saying "I was shocked at how blatant it was" is like saying "Naruto is CHEESE at best."

Uh, I think you are the one who is confused here.



Main Entry: bla·tant
Pronunciation: 'blA-t&nt
Function: adjective
Etymology: perhaps from Latin blatire to chatter
1 : noisy especially in a vulgar or offensive manner : CLAMOROUS
2 : completely obvious, conspicuous, or obtrusive especially in a crass or offensive manner : BRAZEN <blatant disregard for the rules>

Hmm doesn't look like it.


zbohpfjsxkelcf wrote:
Huh? I checked it just now, Kanon was indeed aired on same channel (Fuji TV) and in same season as Rahxephon (Rahxephon on Monday & Kanon on Wednesday). And that's exactly why I brought it up. Some of us actually saw it on time, you know.


So basically you missed the entire point of the discussion just to say that you watched something that aired at the same time and it was better. Thank you for that complete waste of time.
284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/7/06

arx7arbalest wrote:


zbohpfjsxkelcf wrote:


arx7arbalest wrote:

Apparently you don't know what blatant means.
Blatant means obvious. Saying "I was shocked at how blatant it was" is like saying "Naruto is CHEESE at best."

Uh, I think you are the one who is confused here.



Main Entry: bla·tant
Pronunciation: 'blA-t&nt
Function: adjective
Etymology: perhaps from Latin blatire to chatter
1 : noisy especially in a vulgar or offensive manner : CLAMOROUS
2 : completely obvious, conspicuous, or obtrusive especially in a crass or offensive manner : BRAZEN <blatant disregard for the rules>

Hmm doesn't look like it.

Google is your friend.

From article in San Francisco Chronicle:
"...I have to say I was absolutely shocked at how blatant it was."
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=18&entry_id=8923

From article in Salon:
"He still manages to sound surprised at how blatant it was."
http://www.salon.com/news/1999/03/08news.html

From article in Boston Globe:
"We're amazed at how blatant it was and how brazen people were"
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2005/03/06/crash_for_cash/

Still confused?


arx7arbalest wrote:

So basically you missed the entire point of the discussion just to say that you watched something that aired at the same time and it was better. Thank you for that complete waste of time.


I'm sorry that reason why I brought up Kanon went completely over your head. I should of have expected less.
55072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 12/7/06
This is turning into a flame war so I'll just kill this quickly.

You googled without reading the articles or even looking for the difference between what you said and what they said. You said It was shocking how blatant Rahxephon was. The blatant stereotyping in the first article was about stereotyping. You know, as in offensive or vulgar.

Then what is it your trying to say about Kanon? Rahxephon's production quality is not revolutionary because Kanon is about on par with it? *Its not
Kanon gives greater insight to the human condition? * it doesn't
You simply mentioned Kanon because they came were aired at the same time, then you said something went over my head. What am I missing? Just simply admit there was no point in saying that Kanon aired at the same time except that you thought one was better while implying that you understand japanese and therefore are superior because you just sound like a babbling moron trying to make excuses by insulting without explaining what "went over [my] head."
5788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 12/7/06

arx7arbalest wrote:

This argument has gone into other threads and should be taken here.
I'm not gonna post much right now other than the fact that there is a huge difference in theme and plot. Evangelion is more critical about humanity while Rahxephon celebrates it. Its really funny how themes so opposite of one another can be seen as the same thing. Rahxephon really should be seen to completion if anything. It is a stand alone anime and people should be less objective between it and Evangelion.


comparisons between the 2 are ineveitable, coz the 2 share too many similarities.
kinda like comparing the simpsons and family guy oryu yu hakusho and bleach

7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 12/7/06

zbohpfjsxkelcf wrote:

I remember flipping through channels late at night and stumbling on Rahxephon. I was shocked at how blatant it was. It's like some exec at Fuji TV said "Hey, I heard something called evangelion is very popular. We should make it too!". I kinda feel sorry for people who were forced to work on this project. I think this was aired at same time as Kanon, which was equally atrocious but in a different way. I was able to endure Kanon till first commercial break (which I think was enough to lower my IQ), but I couldn't even take a minute of Rahxephon. It remains to this day the most ill conceived show ever created which I was unfortunate enough to bare witness to. Quite an incredible feat when you consider the depressingly huge number of crappy shows made after this.


I don't say stuff like this often, but you're a pretentious arrogant fucking douchebag.

What the fuck difference does it make if you saw something when it was originally aired? Has the show somehow magically changed since then? Also, the first Kanon series was terrible, even the hardcore Key fans agree on that.

You're trashing a entire 26 episode series when (as best as I can discern) you haven't even seen a full episode? Do you base all your oppinions on what other people tell you? I don't begrudge someone who doesn't like a series, as long you are aware that your oppinion does not equal fact - they are oppinions after all.

Then when someone actually picks apart what you say you respond with "lolz i'm to smartz for u to understand" as opposed to explaining what you intended?

Comparing Rahxephon and Eva is completely reasonable since they do share so many similarities. Making a comparison to Kanon... is odd to say the least. Asking for an explanation is perfectly reasonable.

I've spent a fair amount of time in japan, I have alot of friendsl iving in japan who couldn't tell the difference between sailor moon and initial D, but that doesn't automatically justify any half baked poorly explained oppinion we have. I could say "well my buddy living in japan hates anime, so well, he must be right, it all sucks." Pretty piss poor logic isn't it?

Get the fuck over yourself you obnoxious snot nosed little prick.
2691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / "Podunk USA" Brun...
Offline
Posted 12/7/06

FlyinAsian wrote:

People just see giant robots with teenages and think, OMG NGE Rip-off!!!!


I think awesome, a mech show.

When it starts reenacting scenes from Eva, but out of episode order like some sort of bad blender joke, I think RahXephon.

When it copies character design and movement from FLCL AND the plot from Mobile Suit Gundam(with sly nods to organic Eva mech design), I think Eureka Seven.

When I think a regurgitation of Eva/RahXephon, I think Fafner(Episode 1 was a copy and paste job ,hope it gets more original).

Haven't seen Argento Soma, but the plot description reads like the capture of Adam and the formation of Nerv and the Evas(but this time they call them Frank).

When I think original story that was influenced by Eva/Cowboy Beebop, but can stand on it's own, I think Macross Zero.
843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 12/7/06
i am getting some popcorns...plz keep the flame coming ---> popcorns need some flames to pop!

*kringles the beer* "hmmmmm"*
284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/8/06

azrael910 wrote:

I don't say stuff like this often, but you're a pretentious arrogant fucking douchebag.

Heh. Come on don't hold back, tell me how you really feel.

Anyway, so I need to explain what I meant with “I was shocked at how blatant it was.”? Uh, well, I was greatly surprised by how obvious Rahxephon was. What did I find so obvious about the show? As the original post of mine imply, its lack of originality. So if I was to be verbose, “I was taken aback at how conspicuously unoriginal Rahxephon was”.

Also, why did I bring up Kanon? Cause by unfavorably comparing it to some thoroughly wretched show, I wanted to demonstrate how low an opinion I have of Rahxephon. But why did I choose Kanon, when there is no shortage of horrid shows (plenty of Eva-wannabe among them too) to choose from? Cause I associate the two together. Why? Cause Kanon was the only other late-night show airing on Fuji TV at that time.

Clear now? Or should I type slower?
55072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 12/8/06
You probably skipped the first post. The plots don't parallel therefore it isn't a rip-off. Comparisons can be made, but its still not a rip-off of EVA. I guess you never heard of an anime called "Brave Raideen." You know, the show that inspired a great deal of Rahxephon along with Megazone 23. How Rahxephon be rip-off of EVA when there are 2 shows before it that it openly admits that it pays homage to it? Not to mention the FACT that you said you couldn't bare a minute of viewing this. To avoid comments like "went over your head" I will say that it was an exagerration in advance and that you possibly sat through at least an episode. Of course, you had EVA Clone in mind while viewing and completely missed the message of everything. You know, how its interpretation of humanity is either a complete opposite or completely unrelated to what EVA's interpretation is.

How about how many times I hear that Rahxephon remakes EVA episodes in different order. There are some episodes that can be compared, but only to find that it can also be paralelled to an anime that came at least a decade before EVA.
Perhaps EVA took ideas from other anime as well? *it did
Mobile Suit Gundam, Gigantor, Mazinger Z. EVA isn't all that original if it wasn't for the references to philosophy, religion, and psychology, which are all done for effect.

As far as Kanon goes, your basically saying that you associate it because they both came on late night on Fuji TV and that's why whenever you think of Rahxephon you think of Kanon which is also a horrible show. So instead of being random, your being irrelevant. You should have mentioned these so called "Eva- wannabes" because at least you would have been relevant rather than wasting time mentioning shows that have nothing to do with it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.