First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
Corporal punishment for kids?
2478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / L.A.
Offline
Posted 2/20/08
you can but it wont always work as well as you want it too
2144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Earth
Offline
Posted 2/20/08

BOYVIRO666 wrote:

you can but it wont always work as well as you want it too


Things take time
7474 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Parañaque, Philip...
Offline
Posted 2/20/08
A good hitting will make a child grow up right. I've noticed this with my sister. When I was young, my mom hits me with her belt whenever I did something wrong (wrong as in she warned me but I still did it). This happened all the time seeing that I was a very naughty child back then. I am now a more obedient son to my parents because of that since I now know that they hit me back then because it was for my own good. They don't hit me now though (why would they use the belt on a seventeen year old son?)

But, when my sister came into this world, the hitting mysteriously stopped. Now look at her right now, she answers back to my parents whenever they argue, and she's only nine for crying out loud! They do hit her, but by spanking... not with the more painful belt.

So, corporal punishment, to me, is for the best. It lowers the possibility of a child to grow up disobedient and such.
2478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / L.A.
Offline
Posted 2/20/08

coolalicialee wrote:


BOYVIRO666 wrote:

you can but it wont always work as well as you want it too


Things take time


they said the same about hitler in ww2 and look how that turned out. looking at the long term is good in some cases but not while raising a child
2144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Earth
Offline
Posted 2/20/08
lol it should be the opposite.. your parents should take care of her and if they did thier job properly that wouldnt happen and also it depends when you say she talks back. Because sometimes children are telling you what they think and when they say that parents will go like "How dare you talk back!" Which is not very nice
2144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Earth
Offline
Posted 2/20/08

BOYVIRO666 wrote:


coolalicialee wrote:


BOYVIRO666 wrote:

you can but it wont always work as well as you want it too


Things take time


they said the same about hitler in ww2 and look how that turned out. looking at the long term is good in some cases but not while raising a child


so you think it is better to hit them, just so that they can stop just for a while? The child might not do it in front of you, but that dosent means he dont do it around others... he might be the bully in school or something. Violent is never the solution. Never never... i mean when ppl say ohhh just a pat on the bum... blahh blahh... it dosent really mean anything does it? why do the pat on the bum when your just gonna pat him and then everything ok.
2478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / L.A.
Offline
Posted 2/20/08
not hitting your kids shows a lack of conviction
thats all im going to say. because if the child doesnt think you mean it then they wont stop
2144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Earth
Offline
Posted 2/20/08

BOYVIRO666 wrote:

not hitting your kids shows a lack of conviction
thats all im going to say. because if the child doesnt think you mean it then they wont stop


So only by hitting them, they will only think you are serious.... now dosent that sound a but closed minded?
7716 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
77 / M / Florida, US
Offline
Posted 2/20/08
Some limited punishment is okay in my opinion. If your kid is emotionally immature yet is smart enough to realize that you can't really do much to them without corporal punishment, you can be screwed. What do you do if they sneak out (or don't even care) when you ground them? Ground them even more? You guys notice how much problems and issues parents in the US are addressing in regards to kids not listening and being rebellious? Maybe they want to look at their problems rather than pointing the finger at teachers and television. Children in Korea show way more respect to their parents and love them. And the parents don't always resort to corporal punishment. If severe enough they will hit their hands with a ruler or something moderate; if it even comes to that. The problem in the US is that people beat their kids rather than punish/teach them out of love and care. And the ones that don't do anything have kids who just run wild.
2478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / L.A.
Offline
Posted 2/20/08

coolalicialee wrote:


BOYVIRO666 wrote:

not hitting your kids shows a lack of conviction
thats all im going to say. because if the child doesnt think you mean it then they wont stop


So only by hitting them, they will only think you are serious.... now dosent that sound a but closed minded?


maybe so but in my experience the phrase "spare the rod spoil the child" works better than "you can catch a fly easier with than with vinegar"

by the way im off to sleep
2144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Earth
Offline
Posted 2/20/08
lol Spare the rod spoil the child... i though you are a free thinker? or at least not chritian, or was i wrong? lol

“The bible says 'Spare the rod and spoil the child' and I must obey God”

Spanking is deeply rooted in the history and culture of the United States. The bible is often used to support, even perhaps to require, that parents use corporal punishment on children. Many clergy today are speaking out against that interpretation of scripture. The Reverend Dr. Thomas E. Sagendorf, retired Methodist Minister, says the following “I can find no sanction in the teaching of Jesus or the witness of the New Testament to encourage the practice of corporal punishment at home, school or anywhere else. A number of popular voices take a different view, often quoting Old Testament scriptures to prove their point. Those who subscribe to this argument misunderstand and misuse scripture. A similar method of selective reading could just as well be used to justify slavery, suppression of women, polygamy, incest and infanticide”. At its General Conference in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in April and May, 2004, the United Methodist Church passed two resolutions against corporal punishment in homes, schools and child-care. The United Methodist Church is the second largest Protestant denomination in the United States.


Got that from a reliable site.
397 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / uk
Offline
Posted 2/20/08
that's a tough one.. i think it's justified when the kids are still really young,like 3 to 12 or something.i dnt mean beat to kill,just a slap or something. They won't learn any manners just by talking to them because they'll just ignore whatever the parents say. for example, there are a lot of 15 or 16 yr old girls/boys drinking and smoking behind their parents' back, and behaving like sluts or gangster-like,be it at school or on the streets. i think some corporal punishment from their parents would have prevented them from becoming like that.
81078 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31
Offline
Posted 2/20/08
Well, when I was a kid, I got spanked and whatnot. It didn't always keep me from doing bad, but I do feel like it eventually said, "I don't want to do anything bad enough to make dad angry enough to spank me." Eventually, I think it was for the best. My little cousin was the same, except my grandma used a little-bitty yellow ruler. Whenever she would be naughty, grandma would threaten her with the yellow ruler and a wet noodle. She would often break out into tears at just the threat (even when she was as old as seven or so), and wouldn't dare do whatever she was about to do or had been doing for a while. When she got the yellow ruler applied by my (extremely weak) grandma, she was so emotionally distraught that she wouldn't try something like that again for quite a long time.

The thing is, kids, and even adults, often forget about punishments like these. The ones who really act up don't think at all about the threat of corporal punishment until after they have already done what'll earn it for them. At my worst, I was like this. When this happens, yes, corporal punishment is a waste, you need to do something that will pry its way into the kid's brain, not redden his backside. Even though it may be a waste, it shouldn't be something that is banned. It is an effective tool for certain situations. Just as you wouldn't try to hammer in a screw, or use a screwdriver to tighten a bolt, you shouldn't use corporal punishment for everything.
2144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Earth
Offline
Posted 2/21/08

warlord06 wrote:

that's a tough one.. i think it's justified when the kids are still really young,like 3 to 12 or something.i dnt mean beat to kill,just a slap or something. They won't learn any manners just by talking to them because they'll just ignore whatever the parents say. for example, there are a lot of 15 or 16 yr old girls/boys drinking and smoking behind their parents' back, and behaving like sluts or gangster-like,be it at school or on the streets. i think some corporal punishment from their parents would have prevented them from becoming like that.


hmmm well maybe if the parents didn't neglect then and try reasoning out to the children and have a good relationship with the children! those wouldnt happen. Or maybe they do get hit by thier parents and they hate it so they come out..and then mixed with the wrong people and feel like "oh these are the people that inderstand me" Those kids are sad kids that need help not physical punishment
39308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / canada
Offline
Posted 2/21/08
end physical punishment!!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.