First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
Corporal punishment for kids?
3594 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Where the clowns...
Offline
Posted 2/21/08
So has anyone actually worked with children? Are you around someone younger than 10 often? How about younger than 5? Ever taken a psych class? How about a child psychology class or developmental courses?

I'm just saying, people like to make bold statements when they have no idea what they're dealing with. Reasons like "You're children wouldn't be bad if you treated them better" are bogus. Just as children can be sweet and quiet, they can also be terribly behaved and loud, 'abused' or not. It's because their minds are not mature enough to understand the way we do and that's why we have to discipline them until they pick it up naturally.

Another question - how many people here were spanked as a child? If you're quick to say no, double check with your parents/grandparents. I've met a quite a few people who say they don't even remember getting spankings even though their parents admitted they had when they were younger.

^That question was asked in one of my courses and 2/3 of the class (about 60ish people) said they had. If we had asked everyone's parents, the number would probably be the same, if not higher. I'm not saying spankings are a good thing, but I'm also saying it's not as damaging as people like to think nor is it a "new thing". People need to differentiate the difference between discipline and abuse.

Discipline is a learning experience. That's why spanking no longer becomes a discipline to a child who is mentally challenged, because they wont LEARN from it, like normal-minded children are able to. When one can't learn from it, then it starts to become abuse.

It's usually the principle of getting spanked that hurts more, not the actual pain - like if I tap my nephew's hand with a firm "No!" for trying to reach for a plug -- he'll start to cry even though it doesn't hurt because its the principle that his auntie doesn't approve of what he's doing and not using a happy voice, and he doesn't like that/ashamed of getting scolded.

People really give children too much credit. Hating their parents for giving them a spanking because THEY did something wrong at the age of 7? Come on! That's more likely to happen when it's A) continual abuse for no reason at all B)It continues on a regular basis after the child has reached adolescence (when such kinds of discipline should be ineffective).

But before I ramble on I just wanted to say I was spanked as a child and I didn't take it as 'violence is the answer' - it was another form of punishment my mother could give me when I was naughty. I agree with anyone who says if it's possible to do some other form of discipline, but I'm not flat out against spanking as a last resort.
3065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Hawaii
Offline
Posted 2/21/08
fuck yeah....i fuckn hate these lil punks that think they bad
4688 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Palm Beach, Florida
Offline
Posted 2/21/08
Hitting a child is okay, but people have to know when enough is enough, and you can't have a temper problem when physically punishing a child, just keep you cool and give the child an spanking that fits the crime, thus unless the child killed someone, you have no right to kill the child. As far as corporal punishment becoming 100% legal in the U.S., I don't see that becoming likely, simply because there are way too many people out there who can't properly spank a child without severely hurting or killing the child.
3065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Hawaii
Offline
Posted 2/21/08

a1q2s3 wrote:

Hitting a child is okay, but people have to know when enough is enough, and you can't have a temper problem when physically punishing a child, just keep you cool and give the child an spanking that fits the crime, thus unless the child killed someone, you have no right to kill the child. As far as corporal punishment becoming 100% legal in the U.S., I don't see that becoming likely, simply because there are way too many people out there who can't properly spank a child without severely hurting or killing the child.


shit happens!!! if u kill um there is always more
4688 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Palm Beach, Florida
Offline
Posted 2/21/08

gummyvites808 wrote:


a1q2s3 wrote:

Hitting a child is okay, but people have to know when enough is enough, and you can't have a temper problem when physically punishing a child, just keep you cool and give the child an spanking that fits the crime, thus unless the child killed someone, you have no right to kill the child. As far as corporal punishment becoming 100% legal in the U.S., I don't see that becoming likely, simply because there are way too many people out there who can't properly spank a child without severely hurting or killing the child.


shit happens!!! if u kill um there is always more


I hope that is your sarcastic side.

3065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Hawaii
Offline
Posted 2/21/08

a1q2s3 wrote:


gummyvites808 wrote:


a1q2s3 wrote:

Hitting a child is okay, but people have to know when enough is enough, and you can't have a temper problem when physically punishing a child, just keep you cool and give the child an spanking that fits the crime, thus unless the child killed someone, you have no right to kill the child. As far as corporal punishment becoming 100% legal in the U.S., I don't see that becoming likely, simply because there are way too many people out there who can't properly spank a child without severely hurting or killing the child.


shit happens!!! if u kill um there is always more


I hope that is your sarcastic side.



yeah my bad if i offended u im just tryn to lighten up the mode kinda
5463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 2/21/08

gummyvites808 wrote:


a1q2s3 wrote:


gummyvites808 wrote:


a1q2s3 wrote:

Hitting a child is okay, but people have to know when enough is enough, and you can't have a temper problem when physically punishing a child, just keep you cool and give the child an spanking that fits the crime, thus unless the child killed someone, you have no right to kill the child. As far as corporal punishment becoming 100% legal in the U.S., I don't see that becoming likely, simply because there are way too many people out there who can't properly spank a child without severely hurting or killing the child.


shit happens!!! if u kill um there is always more


I hope that is your sarcastic side.



yeah my bad if i offended u im just tryn to lighten up the mode kinda


Some Hawaiians need to be Horse Whipped.
3065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Hawaii
Offline
Posted 2/21/08

Sulla wrote:


gummyvites808 wrote:


a1q2s3 wrote:


gummyvites808 wrote:


a1q2s3 wrote:

Hitting a child is okay, but people have to know when enough is enough, and you can't have a temper problem when physically punishing a child, just keep you cool and give the child an spanking that fits the crime, thus unless the child killed someone, you have no right to kill the child. As far as corporal punishment becoming 100% legal in the U.S., I don't see that becoming likely, simply because there are way too many people out there who can't properly spank a child without severely hurting or killing the child.


shit happens!!! if u kill um there is always more


I hope that is your sarcastic side.



yeah my bad if i offended u im just tryn to lighten up the mode kinda


Some Hawaiians need to be Horse Whipped.


wow!!! where did that come from....and oh im not hawaiian...that was kinda disrespectful to the hawaiians...i dont care if you say bad stuff about me but dont disrespect others
5463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 2/21/08

gummyvites808 wrote:


Sulla wrote:


gummyvites808 wrote:


a1q2s3 wrote:


gummyvites808 wrote:


a1q2s3 wrote:

Hitting a child is okay, but people have to know when enough is enough, and you can't have a temper problem when physically punishing a child, just keep you cool and give the child an spanking that fits the crime, thus unless the child killed someone, you have no right to kill the child. As far as corporal punishment becoming 100% legal in the U.S., I don't see that becoming likely, simply because there are way too many people out there who can't properly spank a child without severely hurting or killing the child.


shit happens!!! if u kill um there is always more


I hope that is your sarcastic side.



yeah my bad if i offended u im just tryn to lighten up the mode kinda


Some Hawaiians need to be Horse Whipped.


wow!!! where did that come from....and oh im not hawaiian...that was kinda disrespectful to the hawaiians...i dont care if you say bad stuff about me but dont disrespect others


Ok for that earlier comment you need to be Horsewhipped a little.
4175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/21/08
im against it.
just cause every friend i had that was beat up on by there parents turn into "rap music loving high school drop outs or dropping out
soon enough
aka:ditching not giving a shit about school"

but hey it's not like that everywhere....just in califorina >_>
1010 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Birmingham
Offline
Posted 2/21/08
They still do it in places in the south. [In America]
The schools arent afraid to whip out the paddle if necessary.
1902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / most likely in bed.
Offline
Posted 2/21/08
People are such wusses nowadays and you can't even slap them without causing some deep psychological scar that will turn them into psychopaths later in life. I was brought up on corporal punishment until I was deemed old enough to understand things on my own and now all my mum does is nag and no one listens to her. Anyway I think it did help me grow stronger and able to face and endure many struggles in life.
Posted 2/21/08
We can't do phisical disicpline since.... dunno when

where is the world going?...

Posted 2/21/08

coolalicialee wrote:

This topic have really interested me for a long time and after talking to many people, i want to know how all of the intellectual in CR thinks about this topic.
I am against corporal punishment for kids! END PHYSICAL PUNISHMENT OF CHILDREN that is because i don't see why people have to inflict pain on others to make others learn. I belive there is a better way of teaching children without hitting children and why not use that better way?...

...So after reading this what do you think? Agree or still disagree with me?


totally agree. my parents used to hit me too when i was young using the same old reason "it's for your own good" or "because you've done something wrong." they even yelled at me at public places or dragged me to a room and locked me there. at that time i made a promise to myself that i will not do it to my children. too bad for me, our culture's different.

parents hit their children not because their children done something wrong but solely because of their anger. they're angry of the action done by their kids so they're taking their anger out on their children. which is wrong. they're not open about diplomacy or serious conversation.

other parents hit their children because they felt they were embarassed or they're not good parents. so again, they will take it out on their kids again. not because of their alibi "you've done something wrong."

however, laws will not really prevent a parent to hit his/her child. parents need therapy. they need to understand and accept that hitting will make things worst.

media should be the one educating the parents since they're the most influential. church leaders too.

if people will continue to justify corporal punishment with same old reasons, then change would be impossible. most people will reason out "so that they'll never do it again." yes, there's a huge chance that they will not do it again but there's also a big chance that they will be sadist or future killers in the future. maybe a psychopath or a person with the lowest self-esteem. someone who can't find a job or someone who can't finish their education even though they have the brains to beat einstein out.

THERE ARE MANY CONSEQUENCES IF YOU HIT YOU HIT YOUR KID. SO THINK FIRST BEFORE YOU ACT.
Posted 2/21/08
Hitting children to the extent of child abuse I am againest..but like a lil spank or something is okay...Then again that might be hard...alot of kids are so annoying you just wanna slap them
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.