First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Do you think today's generation is losing its intelligence?
2769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Monterey
Offline
Posted 2/20/08

noodles1631 wrote:


paperback wrote:


that's because you are in America(well, the majority of us are.. so forgive me if i thought you were in america =P) lol
but there are people that are just as *smart as them, just not as famous.. because..

* correction of word

one, Einstein was hella smart.. lots of his theories are being proven now..
Newton.. dude, he discovered... or "created the idea" of gravity, how can anyone in science beat that? lol
since gravity is like one of the main sources of energy(or something like it)

as for Leonardo.. he was smart in his time, but people before him were smarter too
Leonardo just rediscovered lots of things, like the things lost from the Dark Ages(and Alexandria)


lols i'm in england!!

or maybe...they just found out the easy stuff and left us with the hard stuff!!



omg, i said "much" instead of "smart".. i think i woke up way too early today lol
anyway. England.. woot! just a hundred more countries and i'd have spoken with one person from every nation lol
still no Russia though =(

anyway.. yeah, we found the easy stuff.. for money that is..
basically, spend all your life doing one thing, and you might get paid a lot if you're good at it(sports, video games, prostitution(porn is prostitution too, just in video form.. and legal lol---but then again, that also goes for the rest of the world <__<;; )

Posted 2/20/08
Honestly there should be set a straight line between intelligence and education, since this two terms are defined totally differently. You can be educated but your natural intelligence can be very low. You can be stupid and uneducated. You can be intelligent and uneducated. You can be intelligent and educated.
What are we talking about now? Education or intelligence? Or perhaps both?
Comparing the situation nowadays to a few centuries ago, where the education of the majority of the population was prone to be very low, then the situation nowadays is quite better now. But I can't deny the fact that the educational system is decaying, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the level of intelligence of the population did sink with it as well.
The new generation was/is just brought up in a very indulgent way.

I find this theory about the decreasing intelligence among the new generation very ambiguous/uncertain. So I don't believe that the intelligence is slowly disappearing, but I am open to conviction if adequate evidence should appear.

Flo~
9896 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / LI, NY
Offline
Posted 2/20/08

Neukuhn wrote:


CerridwenStorms wrote:


Nisselue wrote:

Naa, I think stupid's become a fashion.
Or, I hope so. If it turns out I'm wrong, I'll be terrafied!


Nope, it's the education system. At least, that's how it is in America. Not so sure about the rest of the world. But here, the economy and the war are top concerns, so people don't think about the school budget. I never hear when the voting on the school budgets are anymore, otherwise I'd vote on them. As a result, more and more material is dropped from the public curriculum, and this not only limits what taught, but how much students actually want to learn. There are already enough kids who just flat out don't care to learn, but now more of the smarter, more engaging students don't have stimulating material to learn, get bored, and then stop caring about learning as a result. In addition to all this, we focus too much media attention on low education jobs as being glamorous and drawing less attention to actual career goals.


you have a good point, but you forgot one thing, technology, nowadays technology has made life so easy making people lazy thus making kids to not care about there education kus they love to sit down and just play there video games or watch t.v., and something that i have seen a lot is that every kid that is around my age always says there going to run there parents businesses or they earn a lot of money at a shop, lets say 1 grand a week it's good but they just don't see that if they study they could earn more then 3 grand a week, but thats if you study. plus the Internet has a big part in it, they say it's the future but it only takes up time, thats why there so many fat people in the world, no offense to them. if people would just think ones in while, the world would change, i say take some time to wonder why things happen or how things work.


The use of the Internet has actually deteriorated people's language skills, you're right. I'm happy my sister verbally beat chat speak out of me. I've actually had classmates right their term papers in web speak shorthand (i.e. i think ur class is vry kool--No, really, what the hell?! Why would you ever turn something in with that in it in college?!). I recall hearing about a study where they found that in the last five year, the average high school English grade in America has gone down proportionately to the increase of teens using the Internet. It was already getting damaged from the use of automated spell checkers. They predict it will get worse with cellphones making texting easier.
9896 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / LI, NY
Offline
Posted 2/20/08

MidnightZorya wrote:

Honestly there should be set a straight line between intelligence and education, since this two terms are defined totally differently. You can be educated but your natural intelligence can be very low. You can be stupid and uneducated. You can be intelligent and uneducated. You can be intelligent and educated.
What are we talking about now? Education or intelligence? Or perhaps both?
Comparing the situation nowadays to a few centuries ago, where the education of the majority of the population was prone to be very low, then the situation nowadays is quite better now. But I can't deny the fact that the educational system is decaying, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the level of intelligence of the population did sink with it as well.
The new generation was/is just brought up in a very indulgent way.

I find this theory about the decreasing intelligence among the new generation very ambiguous/uncertain. So I don't believe that the intelligence is slowly disappearing, but I am open to conviction if adequate evidence should appear.

Flo~


Over all intelligence, which is still effected by education. This doesn't necessarily mean grades, though. Just the intelligence that people appear to show from a day to day basis.
242 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 2/20/08
I have to agree with many of you, the system of learning is decaying however i think it has to do with other things as well. I remember back in Jr. High School and in High School only a handful of us felt like we could do anything in the world.
Many times my friends and I didn't do anything to stick up for ourselves against other teachers because usually it ended in an argument and a punishment of sorts. The punishment usually was usually given because the teacher would consider it a disruption in class, a failure to respect authority, or some other misc stuff. In a nut shell the student feels powerless to do anything which also stumps motivation.
Also the casual environment has a role as well. Teachers are educating the best they can, well the good ones anyways, but everything is to lax. After a while when a new teacher becomes more experienced, they relax and the students are already laid back as it is to its more of a cooperative effort so nothing is taken seriously. There are several factors involved, were all just happy go lucky bums in the educational system sometimes, lol.
56939 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 2/20/08

CerridwenStorms wrote:


Neukuhn wrote:


CerridwenStorms wrote:


Nisselue wrote:

Naa, I think stupid's become a fashion.
Or, I hope so. If it turns out I'm wrong, I'll be terrafied!


Nope, it's the education system. At least, that's how it is in America. Not so sure about the rest of the world. But here, the economy and the war are top concerns, so people don't think about the school budget. I never hear when the voting on the school budgets are anymore, otherwise I'd vote on them. As a result, more and more material is dropped from the public curriculum, and this not only limits what taught, but how much students actually want to learn. There are already enough kids who just flat out don't care to learn, but now more of the smarter, more engaging students don't have stimulating material to learn, get bored, and then stop caring about learning as a result. In addition to all this, we focus too much media attention on low education jobs as being glamorous and drawing less attention to actual career goals.


you have a good point, but you forgot one thing, technology, nowadays technology has made life so easy making people lazy thus making kids to not care about there education kus they love to sit down and just play there video games or watch t.v., and something that i have seen a lot is that every kid that is around my age always says there going to run there parents businesses or they earn a lot of money at a shop, lets say 1 grand a week it's good but they just don't see that if they study they could earn more then 3 grand a week, but thats if you study. plus the Internet has a big part in it, they say it's the future but it only takes up time, thats why there so many fat people in the world, no offense to them. if people would just think ones in while, the world would change, i say take some time to wonder why things happen or how things work.


The use of the Internet has actually deteriorated people's language skills, you're right. I'm happy my sister verbally beat chat speak out of me. I've actually had classmates right their term papers in web speak shorthand (i.e. i think ur class is vry kool--No, really, what the hell?! Why would you ever turn something in with that in it in college?!). I recall hearing about a study where they found that in the last five year, the average high school English grade in America has gone down proportionately to the increase of teens using the Internet. It was already getting damaged from the use of automated spell checkers. They predict it will get worse with cellphones making texting easier.


thats true and plus you never know when WW3 might brake out because of bad communication and people have said that the end is near, i say it's true, seeing how people are so stupid they can't notice how messed up the world is, but if the world lives on then where still screwed because every person will be living in something thats not real, they already started to create a virtual life, where you can actually earn money, i bet you anything that in the future every person will just get up and sit on there computers all day kus thats the only way that you can earn money and be lazy at the same time. if that ever happens, the theory of us ending up with three fingers will happen, so many thing you can with a push of a button we won't need our pinky or ringfinger.
1337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / East Coast
Offline
Posted 2/20/08
I'd have to disagree, just from what I've seen. I know a kid that's in 8th grade and has to come to my high school to take AP Calc II
I also know many people learning multiple languages, kids who take on all honors and AP and get the honor roll, and the discussion that goes on can get pretty deep.

then you go to our parent's generation who struggled with things like basic algebra and geometry, had the same attitude about education (because they may deny it, but they did), many of whom didn't take college seriously enough to try to attend it, etc

how many of you have gone to your parents for help on homework (even as a child) and found them unable to help you?
5719 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/20/08

Tagi-chan wrote:

I'd have to disagree, just from what I've seen. I know a kid that's in 8th grade and has to come to my high school to take AP Calc II
I also know many people learning multiple languages, kids who take on all honors and AP and get the honor roll, and the discussion that goes on can get pretty deep.

then you go to our parent's generation who struggled with things like basic algebra and geometry, had the same attitude about education (because they may deny it, but they did), many of whom didn't take college seriously enough to try to attend it, etc

how many of you have gone to your parents for help on homework (even as a child) and found them unable to help you?


Well some parents are unable to help their children with homework for other reasons, for example: A parent may forget basic concepts with fractions if they have taken calc because they will think of turning everything into decimals.
Posted 2/20/08

CerridwenStorms wrote:


MidnightZorya wrote:

Honestly there should be set a straight line between intelligence and education, since this two terms are defined totally differently. You can be educated but your natural intelligence can be very low. You can be stupid and uneducated. You can be intelligent and uneducated. You can be intelligent and educated.
What are we talking about now? Education or intelligence? Or perhaps both?
Comparing the situation nowadays to a few centuries ago, where the education of the majority of the population was prone to be very low, then the situation nowadays is quite better now. But I can't deny the fact that the educational system is decaying, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the level of intelligence of the population did sink with it as well.
The new generation was/is just brought up in a very indulgent way.

I find this theory about the decreasing intelligence among the new generation very ambiguous/uncertain. So I don't believe that the intelligence is slowly disappearing, but I am open to conviction if adequate evidence should appear.

Flo~


Over all intelligence, which is still effected by education. This doesn't necessarily mean grades, though. Just the intelligence that people appear to show from a day to day basis.


This is plaguing me quite for a time now, people tend to misuse the word effect/effecting/effected, or am I misinterpreting the usage of the word effect and it's derivations? The words affect and effect. Affect can be defined as influencing something/someone, while effect can be defined as bringing a change upon something/someone. So you are saying that education has a changing effect on intelligence? Or did you mean that education can influence intelligence?(though influence could also unofficially mean change. :sweatingbullets:, but there is a slight difference to the meaning of both expressions...I guess <.< )

Unless you are practicing brain jogging education doesn't really affect your average intelligence. For example lets say that you know where America lies on the map, or how much 2+2 is, this doesn't affect your intelligence at all, now does it? Someone living in the jungle, who never had the pleasure to experience classes in an educational institution could be as intelligent as a normal civilised person or could be even compared to Einstein if talking about intelligence. So the notion about education having a serious influence on the matter of intelligence should be contemplated/formulated in a very chary way, since the extent of the term intelligence is very vague, and is also open to be hotly debated. For me intelligence and education are two different things, but of course they are somehow connected but not as much as that it could have a sever impact on someone's intelligence.

Flo~
Posted 2/20/08
i dont care if u guys are talking about ur selves but this days children are getting smarter (why do u think they are getting better at smuggling drugs) jk but neways
Posted 2/20/08

MidnightZorya wrote:

Honestly there should be set a straight line between intelligence and education, since this two terms are defined totally differently. You can be educated but your natural intelligence can be very low. You can be stupid and uneducated. You can be intelligent and uneducated. You can be intelligent and educated.
What are we talking about now? Education or intelligence? Or perhaps both?
Comparing the situation nowadays to a few centuries ago, where the education of the majority of the population was prone to be very low, then the situation nowadays is quite better now. But I can't deny the fact that the educational system is decaying, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the level of intelligence of the population did sink with it as well.
The new generation was/is just brought up in a very indulgent way.

I find this theory about the decreasing intelligence among the new generation very ambiguous/uncertain. So I don't believe that the intelligence is slowly disappearing, but I am open to conviction if adequate evidence should appear.

Flo~


Agreed. :] Very profound/intelligent answer!
8435 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / candy mountain lol
Offline
Posted 2/20/08
were losing knowledge of the past but gaining knowldege of the future.
676 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Belgium
Offline
Posted 2/20/08
i would say;

we know a lot of things on a lot of subjects.
on the other end we don't know much detailed things..

it's more like yeh i know about everything...but don't ask me anything too specific..
4027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / mission viejo,cal...
Offline
Posted 2/20/08
absolutely this is going to turn out like the movie IDIACRACY or however you spell it
2119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / southern ontario
Offline
Posted 2/20/08

emm0548 wrote:

this is eveident by the medias shown... movies... song writing... and this forums are also evidence of the young generations that they are losing intelligence...

i have noticed this for a long time... our generation compared to the past generations is definitely losing its intelligence on my opinion...

what do you think? have you noticed this too?



Yes, these forums all by themselves show that younger generations are loosing the capacity for creative thought. (in some cases, like the united states, I blame it on the educational system - which wants people to be stupid and go long with whatever is spoon fed to them on the news)

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.