First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Manic Depression / Bi-Polar
Posted 2/3/08
I'm not going to say that I'm bi-polar because I don't know enough of it to say I am, but I would say that I have very bad mood swings and how I feel can change so quickly. I'm not going to pour my feelings out on the internet, seeing as though the majority of people wouldn't really be bothered anyhow but I would say that I understand you a tiny bit.

What I'd like to know is 'What are the major symtoms to knowing that you may be bi-polar?'
1668 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / home
Offline
Posted 2/3/08

edsamac wrote:

To clear things up, Manic/Depressive Disorder (MDD) is not an illness, it's a disorder. When you say something is an illness, that means that there is an aggravating factor (e.g. bacterial infection, virus, etc.) that causes the illness. Manic Depression is usually genetically linked, and can have several different causes (i.e. biological/genetic, traumatic experiences, etc.).

Manic Depression is usually seen with people who suffer from ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), and is usually treated with the use of certain drug cocktails and routine check-ups/interviews with a psychiatrist......


I like the way you state how it is a disorder and not an illness. Illness makes it sound like some disease. I used to work in a psychiatric hospital as a social worker and the stigma surrounding mental disorders is tremendous. Some people think that the patients are possessed or something. Which is rather sad because then they are extremely resistant towards taking medication regularly. And their family members don't understand and eventually give up on them. Many are stuck in the hospital because they have no homes to go to. I hope none of you out there with any mental disorder, bipolar or what-have-you, end up in such a state.
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 2/3/08

Lazybook wrote:

ugh.. Someone please explain to me the difference between tsundere and bi polar


Tsundere is a loose term that denotes someone who can be both mean (or hard headed) and soft (or sensitive) at the same time. If you've watched Lucky Star, Minoru actually gives an interesting etymology behind the term. Apparently, he says that the term originally meant to mean someone who was initially stoic and brash, but as time goes by, they turn sensitive, and kind, but the realization is that they were as such to begin with, and their "hard" characters were simply defense mechanisms against potential, emotional harm.

Bi-polar syndrome can be a personality disorder, and does not necessarily imply that the person is a tsundere. The term, in fact, was an online derivation of the original term, and eventually came to be anyone who exhibits bi-polar like activity on-line.


However, they are completely different. One is a matter of character (tsundere). The other, is a personality disorder.
Posted 2/3/08
Well I have a good friend who has been diagnosed as being bi-polar. Sometimes he feels like he's on top of the world and is really, really happy but then there are days when he has gotten close to committing suicide. Its kind of weird cos you never know what your going to get when you meet him.
42013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F / Fort Meade, MD
Offline
Posted 2/4/08

exjay wrote:


Dusterbayala wrote:

Bi-polar
Bipolar disorder is an illness bipolar illness of severe mood swings. It is also called manic depression. If you have this bipolar illness illness, you may have periods of severe high or low moods. These periods may impact your day-to-day functioning.

The high moods are called acute mania. They can make you feel restless, grouchy, or very happy. The low moods are called depression. They can make you feel very sad.

Some people can have a mixed state. That's when you have acute mania and depression at the same time.

Both women and men get bipolar disorder in equal numbers. The disease is usually first seen in adults 18 and older.


I was diagnosed with this when i was 16. I've been through various treatments for it and nothing seems to help.
It effects my daily life and relatioships with people.
I am not crazy
It's actually a chemical imbalance in my brain that causes me to lose it every once in awhile. It effects people differently.

Does anyone else share this problem with me?
What are your thoughts about it?


does this happen often? as in your outbreaks(or whatever you call it) pls excuse this quote if this has been asked before


It used to happen a lot more often then it does now, but i usually go manic about once or twice a month, i tend to stay more in the low...
Posted 2/4/08
i don't know whether i have bi polar disorder or not because generally i am not happy most of the times i am feeling shit because of something or the other.the only thing that makes me feel any good is music.to get away from depression i think one should do something that one likes.and as for the happy moments one can just enjoy it.
Posted 2/4/08

Dusterbayala wrote:

^ me? no i'm actually even right now, and when i wrote this.
I rarely get sad...
it takes triggers to get me sad...
I'm the angry bi polar..
i go from sex kitten to psycho bitch in half a second flat.


i want the psycho sex kitten
im bi polar and i have my ups and downs im constenly getting angry
i tryed to get meds once and the docter i visted didnt even do any tests just looked at me and said i have
dual personality decied i have a dual personality with in 2 minutes of meeting me
i just walked out and deal with my bi polar problems on my own
i know i have it my sister has it and takes meds for her chemical imbalence
42013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F / Fort Meade, MD
Offline
Posted 2/4/08

kitanaikoneko wrote:


Dusterbayala wrote:

^ me? no i'm actually even right now, and when i wrote this.
I rarely get sad...
it takes triggers to get me sad...
I'm the angry bi polar..
i go from sex kitten to psycho bitch in half a second flat.


i want the psycho sex kitten
im bi polar and i have my ups and downs im constenly getting angry
i tryed to get meds once and the docter i visted didnt even do any tests just looked at me and said i have
dual personality decied i have a dual personality with in 2 minutes of meeting me
i just walked out and deal with my bi polar problems on my own
i know i have it my sister has it and takes meds for her chemical imbalence


o.O You mean, you haven't seen my psycho sex kitten?

Do you ever come into the cleavage thread? or the chats? or anywhere i'm at?

>.> i'm kinda the biggest female pervert on the site >.>

Suprised there's someone that doesn't know that >.>


BubbleGumx wrote:

I'm not going to say that I'm bi-polar because I don't know enough of it to say I am, but I would say that I have very bad mood swings and how I feel can change so quickly. I'm not going to pour my feelings out on the internet, seeing as though the majority of people wouldn't really be bothered anyhow but I would say that I understand you a tiny bit.

What I'd like to know is 'What are the major symtoms to knowing that you may be bi-polar?'


http://www.helpguide.org/mental/bipolar_disorder_symptoms_treatment.htm

This site might help you learn more.
*smiles*
1285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / If you bend over...
Offline
Posted 2/4/08
im bipolar......
314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Maryland
Offline
Posted 2/4/08
I have a classmate who is bi-polar. All I have is depression, severe social anxiety, and mild general anxiety. I purposely didn't take that damned medicine this morning. I'm actually starting to think that I may be bi-polar though.
24693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / TX
Offline
Posted 2/4/08
i believe both my sister and i are bi-polar because we both have very high and low moods like you say in your definition
35886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 2/4/08
Yikes...that would suck...I feel bad for you...
Posted 2/4/08
Well, i'm a one of them. Sometime i hang out or working with someone, i was so happy and just a minute another partner triggered by telling a joke or mocking on asians. I was freaking angry that i won't like to work. But after that, they reassure me that it was only a joke.
399 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / Australia/Singapore
Offline
Posted 2/4/08
i knew someone who has bipolar disorder.. it was really stressful dealing with his ups and downs.. he even attempted suicide many times!! it was scary
667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Yokohama, Japan
Offline
Posted 2/4/08

Dusterbayala wrote:

I was diagnosed with this when i was 16. I've been through various treatments for it and nothing seems to help.
It effects my daily life and relatioships with people.
I am not crazy
It's actually a chemical imbalance in my brain that causes me to lose it every once in awhile. It affects people differently.

Does anyone else share this problem with me?
What are your thoughts about it?



I'm not sure if she's bipolar or manic depressive, since she's diagnosed in Japanese, but my mom has うつ病 [u-tsu-byou], which is usually simply translated as depression. Hers isn't from a genetic tendency, it's the traumatic experience-kind (I was being bullied at school, then her father died of cancer, and soon after she found out my dad was having an affair). For a couple of years our family was insane - I'm not saying that people who are depressed are crazy but that these disorders can really mess up someone life, and the lives of everyone around them. At least she's a little better now - she doesn't try to commit suicide anymore - so that the meds actually work properly and keep her from getting super-down. Isn't it a lack of dopamine in the brain, or something?

I just think that it's a really hard thing to live with, for the person especially but also for the people around them. I also think you're lucky if your triggers are so clear - my mom's depression has dozens of factors linked to it, so I had to religiously avoid every dangerous-seeming topic when I was in late elementary, Still, it's not an impossible situation, so I hope you can keep dealing with it! (In the meantime, wish me luck - I'll be evading the psychiatrist . . . I have ADD and my mom's psychiatrist suspects that maybe all the stuff that happened in elementary gave me depression, too. I've got some symptoms, I guess, but I'm too busy to take notice and definitely too busy to have to deal with more problems. *sigh*)
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.