First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Have you ever been called "that weird Anime kid" in school?
Posted 12/7/06
ya...i hear that a lot but its not that i care..i mean i love anime!
304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / your face
Offline
Posted 12/7/06
oh yeah, i remember. i actually got beat up for being different at my school, not just for anime reasons, but video games as well. hehe.
20230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / California
Offline
Posted 12/7/06
When I was younger, I attended a private Catholic school. I was already an "outcast" because of my being Asian (there being 3 people including myself who were not white attending, 1 being my younger brother) and not being Catholic. I was picked on a lot already because of this. After the burst in popularity with Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z, more kids at my school became more knowledgeable about 'anime'. I had already been drawing cartoonish type of figures before I began watching anime, however the kids in my class began making fun of me behind my back, saying I'm childish for liking "Chinese cartoons".

It became increasingly worse when I was in 9th grade when my best friend (and the only other person in my grade who watched any anime) began to attend a different private school. My mother had recently died the previous year from brain tumors so I wasn't in the higest spirits. I fell under depression, my grades falling drastically (being an A+ student and getting Ds and almost flunking). The kids at school continued to make fun of me because of my interest in anime and my choice in video games (RPGs; they played sports games and GTA). After they got bored of making fun of me because of my interests, they would laugh at my musical choices, my talent in the band, and the fact that I had no friends at the school. I lost interest in soccer because the other girls would just make fun of me during practice. Eventually, I even lost interest in art because of my classmates.
9121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 12/7/06
you know say to those kids.....FUCK YOU!
4534 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/7/06

redgarnettk wrote:

When I was younger, I attended a private Catholic school. I was already an "outcast" because of my being Asian (there being 3 people including myself who were not white attending, 1 being my younger brother) and not being Catholic. I was picked on a lot already because of this. After the burst in popularity with Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z, more kids at my school became more knowledgeable about 'anime'. I had already been drawing cartoonish type of figures before I began watching anime, however the kids in my class began making fun of me behind my back, saying I'm childish for liking "Chinese cartoons".

It became increasingly worse when I was in 9th grade when my best friend (and the only other person in my grade who watched any anime) began to attend a different private school. My mother had recently died the previous year from brain tumors so I wasn't in the higest spirits. I fell under depression, my grades falling drastically (being an A+ student and getting Ds and almost flunking). The kids at school continued to make fun of me because of my interest in anime and my choice in video games (RPGs; they played sports games and GTA). After they got bored of making fun of me because of my interests, they would laugh at my musical choices, my talent in the band, and the fact that I had no friends at the school. I lost interest in soccer because the other girls would just make fun of me during practice. Eventually, I even lost interest in art because of my classmates.

I actually felt sad after hearing this. I don't know what to say.....
20230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / California
Offline
Posted 12/7/06

waffle26 wrote:

you know say to those kids.....FUCK YOU!


Even though I ignored what they said, having to listen to it for 5 years (plus the 5 years before because of my ethnicity) began to affect me. You have to keep in mind that my mother had recently died from brain tumors, my only friend had left, and it was a daily thing. It wasn't one of those 'haha we'll make a joke at your expense once in a while' things. It was a daily routine and I didn't have one person to talk to.
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 12/7/06

redgarnettk wrote:

When I was younger, I attended a private Catholic school. I was already an "outcast" because of my being Asian (there being 3 people including myself who were not white attending, 1 being my younger brother) and not being Catholic. I was picked on a lot already because of this. After the burst in popularity with Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z, more kids at my school became more knowledgeable about 'anime'. I had already been drawing cartoonish type of figures before I began watching anime, however the kids in my class began making fun of me behind my back, saying I'm childish for liking "Chinese cartoons".

It became increasingly worse when I was in 9th grade when my best friend (and the only other person in my grade who watched any anime) began to attend a different private school. My mother had recently died the previous year from brain tumors so I wasn't in the higest spirits. I fell under depression, my grades falling drastically (being an A+ student and getting Ds and almost flunking). The kids at school continued to make fun of me because of my interest in anime and my choice in video games (RPGs; they played sports games and GTA). After they got bored of making fun of me because of my interests, they would laugh at my musical choices, my talent in the band, and the fact that I had no friends at the school. I lost interest in soccer because the other girls would just make fun of me during practice. Eventually, I even lost interest in art because of my classmates.


High school is a very temporary period of life. It doesn't seem like it when you're there, but it is. Just focus on the future and all the possibilities that await there and don't let anyone drag you down to their level.
20230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / California
Offline
Posted 12/7/06

azrael910 wrote:


redgarnettk wrote:

When I was younger, I attended a private Catholic school. I was already an "outcast" because of my being Asian (there being 3 people including myself who were not white attending, 1 being my younger brother) and not being Catholic. I was picked on a lot already because of this. After the burst in popularity with Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z, more kids at my school became more knowledgeable about 'anime'. I had already been drawing cartoonish type of figures before I began watching anime, however the kids in my class began making fun of me behind my back, saying I'm childish for liking "Chinese cartoons".

It became increasingly worse when I was in 9th grade when my best friend (and the only other person in my grade who watched any anime) began to attend a different private school. My mother had recently died the previous year from brain tumors so I wasn't in the higest spirits. I fell under depression, my grades falling drastically (being an A+ student and getting Ds and almost flunking). The kids at school continued to make fun of me because of my interest in anime and my choice in video games (RPGs; they played sports games and GTA). After they got bored of making fun of me because of my interests, they would laugh at my musical choices, my talent in the band, and the fact that I had no friends at the school. I lost interest in soccer because the other girls would just make fun of me during practice. Eventually, I even lost interest in art because of my classmates.


High school is a very temporary period of life. It doesn't seem like it when you're there, but it is. Just focus on the future and all the possibilities that await there and don't let anyone drag you down to their level.


It wasn't just high school. I was made fun of since kindergarten because of my ethnicity. From 5th grade until the end of 9th grade was when it became bad. I think I would have delt with it much better if I had someone to talk to about it. After the loss of my mother, my father was grieving so much he didn't pay attention to my little school troubles in 9th grade. In fact, high school played little in this. Yes, 9th grade is when I broke down but the events leading up to that grade were more important.

On a happier note, I have not quit art. I'm majoring in metal arts in college and continue using charcoal and watercolors. When I left for public school, I made friends and my grades improved. Sure I got made fun of by some kids for liking anime, but at least I had people to talk to about it then.
304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / your face
Offline
Posted 12/7/06
you see, you had people to talk too. but for me...? i had no friends whats so ever. and people keep on hating on me because of my choice on anime and video games. people don't.... like me it seems.

oh well, at least i have fun playing RPG's and watch my favorite anime though. thats all i need anyway.
671 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Mass
Offline
Posted 12/7/06
Nope. People assume that I'm not into anime or video games. It's actually quite amusing. =)
498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/7/06
Personally, i dont tell people b/c no1 asks....i'm 23 so i'm too old to go parading about any of my interests in public. My advice if you're still in school is to keep to yourself.....dont give them anymore weakness's or targets to mess with you about. I have african american friends that wont eat watermelon in public.
2695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / "Podunk USA" Brun...
Offline
Posted 12/7/06

lakes4200 wrote:

Personally, i dont tell people b/c no1 asks....i'm 23 so i'm too old to go parading about any of my interests in public. My advice if you're still in school is to keep to yourself.....dont give them anymore weakness's or targets to mess with you about. I have african american friends that wont eat watermelon in public.


Watermelon is overrated.
But chicken is the best! Can't lie there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How To Pwn for Wierdos:
Now what you must understand, is that life is one giant high school. If you are "the loser" now, you will most likely be "the loser" later.

My advice to my little brother when he says kids pick on his ethnicity, is to start being aggressive before you come of criminal age, but don't just lash out at random folks. No, no...you make it your life mission to humiliate those that socially attack you.

Cowards travel in mobs, so you will have to use strategy, learn some insulting jokes and use them when confronted in a social situation. Choose your enemy at this point, either the ringleader or the one with the most aggressive reputation.

If they want to get physical, let them make the first physical threat,(appear to be the defending victim, which you are). If they are much bigger than you, pretend to be afraid and FIGHT DIRTIER THAN ALL HELL(low blows are a staple). Remember to kick them when they are down. You must make an example of anyone you fight or it wasn't worth.

Whatever you do ALWAYS appear calm and tolerant, it gives the element of surprise and gives witnesses the opinion that you are the "good guy". (Crying is also helpful after and before a fight, but can be misunderstood as a sign of weakness.)

When outnumbered, DON'T PULL PUNCHES, aim for the windpipe.

Like my stepdad says-"If a man puts his hands on me, he better kill me, because if I survive, I'll make sure I find and kill him. " And my mom stabbed her ex-husband/stalker, didn't spend a day in jail! (she's the basis for the innocent victim tactic)

Such great role models
843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 12/7/06
i loled irl

"Such great role models" hell ya

or just let them go to your own line, and when crossed make them remember how BAD it is to cross -> personal "best attack" brake their nosses and watch em bleed...they wont attack back since their whole face will be swalloved and bleeding like hell
Posted 12/7/06
well i was (and so were many other ppl) known as that "Weird Chinese girl whose trying to be Japanese" It annoyed me for a bit but I got over it lol.
55072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/7/06

lusulpher wrote:


lakes4200 wrote:

Personally, i dont tell people b/c no1 asks....i'm 23 so i'm too old to go parading about any of my interests in public. My advice if you're still in school is to keep to yourself.....dont give them anymore weakness's or targets to mess with you about. I have african american friends that wont eat watermelon in public.


Watermelon is overrated.
But chicken is the best! Can't lie there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How To Pwn for Wierdos:
Now what you must understand, is that life is one giant high school. If you are "the loser" now, you will most likely be "the loser" later.

My advice to my little brother when he says kids pick on his ethnicity, is to start being aggressive before you come of criminal age, but don't just lash out at random folks. No, no...you make it your life mission to humiliate those that socially attack you.

Cowards travel in mobs, so you will have to use strategy, learn some insulting jokes and use them when confronted in a social situation. Choose your enemy at this point, either the ringleader or the one with the most aggressive reputation.

If they want to get physical, let them make the first physical threat,(appear to be the defending victim, which you are). If they are much bigger than you, pretend to be afraid and FIGHT DIRTIER THAN ALL HELL(low blows are a staple). Remember to kick them when they are down. You must make an example of anyone you fight or it wasn't worth.

Whatever you do ALWAYS appear calm and tolerant, it gives the element of surprise and gives witnesses the opinion that you are the "good guy". (Crying is also helpful after and before a fight, but can be misunderstood as a sign of weakness.)

When outnumbered, DON'T PULL PUNCHES, aim for the windpipe.

Like my stepdad says-"If a man puts his hands on me, he better kill me, because if I survive, I'll make sure I find and kill him. " And my mom stabbed her ex-husband/stalker, didn't spend a day in jail! (she's the basis for the innocent victim tactic)

Such great role models


I tried that....it didn't work. You kick one guy in the nutz, then they all just gain up on you and beat the shit out of me. Of course, I was in a bad neighborhood and felt stupid.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.