First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Favorite Japanese Bands
Unicorn Princess
16230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/28/07
I wish people would stop using the 'j' for Japanese music. The Japanese don't even use it. It's not like everyone else goes around and says, I listen to Apop (American pop), so why should we do it to the eastern asian countries' music? It only further distances the countries' music from all of the others'.

Some of my favorite bands:
Sahara (korean)
Galneryus
Feel So Bad
X Japan
Onmyo-Za
Oblivion Dust
D
Cloud Nine
Atomic Tornado
Analoug Fish
Tokyo Jihen


lokita wrote:

Have you ever heard of nil? If you're a fan of ZIGZO, then you should give them a listen. nil's Tetsu's latest band.


I didn't think anyone on this site was watching the Zigzo videos I uploaded. Maybe I've been proven wrong?
Posted 1/28/07

lokita wrote:


JessicaN2 wrote:

Well, I've never actually listened to Japanese bands unless I'm listening to opening/ending themes for an anime.

I would not mind giving it a shot though.


So, if anyone as any recommendations I'd be glad to know them.


There are so, so many amazing bands out there. A few pages back I posted some recommendations.

What kind of music are you into? Jpop? Jrock? Pop-rock? If you give me a genre, I'll be able to recommend bands that you might be interested in.


I guess I would like Jrock and some Pop - rock.

I'm actually trying to explore new genres anyways so, just give me what you think would be good to start out with.

18981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 1/28/07

redgarnettk wrote:

I wish people would stop using the 'j' for Japanese music. The Japanese don't even use it. It's not like everyone else goes around and says, I listen to Apop (American pop), so why should we do it to the eastern asian countries' music? It only further distances the countries' music from all of the others'.

I didn't think anyone on this site was watching the Zigzo videos I uploaded. Maybe I've been proven wrong?


:) I had no idea you had uploaded ZIGZO PVs.

No one goes around saying Arock, Apop, etc because it's implied that what you're listening to is music by English-speaking artists. I don't see why the Japanese would add a J in front of genres. To them, Jrock is just rock, Jpop is just pop. That's not what it's like all over the world though. Also, it makes things a lot simpler. It's much easier saying/typing Jrock, rather than Japanese rock.
Unicorn Princess
16230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/28/07

JessicaN2 wrote:


lokita wrote:


JessicaN2 wrote:

Well, I've never actually listened to Japanese bands unless I'm listening to opening/ending themes for an anime.

I would not mind giving it a shot though.


So, if anyone as any recommendations I'd be glad to know them.


There are so, so many amazing bands out there. A few pages back I posted some recommendations.

What kind of music are you into? Jpop? Jrock? Pop-rock? If you give me a genre, I'll be able to recommend bands that you might be interested in.


I guess I would like Jrock and some Pop - rock.

I'm actually trying to explore new genres anyways so, just give me what you think would be good to start out with.



Try giving a list of some bands you like, even if they aren't Japanese. That'll better help specify exactly what genre you're most into. "Rock" is a general genre and there are a lot of subgenres within that genre.
18981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 1/28/07

JessicaN2 wrote:
I guess I would like Jrock and some Pop - rock.

I'm actually trying to explore new genres anyways so, just give me what you think would be good to start out with.



Do you prefer male vocals or female? :/ If you are more into female-fronted groups, then I can't help you too much. I can't tolerate many female singers. However, if you're more into male vocalists, then I'll compile a list of some bands for you. ^_^
Unicorn Princess
16230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/28/07

lokita wrote:

:) I had no idea you had uploaded ZIGZO PVs.

No one goes around saying Arock, Apop, etc because it's implied that what you're listening to is music by English-speaking artists. I don't see why the Japanese would add a J in front of genres. To them, Jrock is just rock, Jpop is just pop. That's not what it's like all over the world though. Also, it makes things a lot simpler. It's much easier saying/typing Jrock, rather than Japanese rock.


I would think it would be more useful to classify English music as Apop, Bpop (Britain, or any other country) than Asian countries. With most Asian countries, you can pick out the country just from the language the song is spoken. Also, if one is willing to have correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation on a forum, I see no reason as to why people cannot put the 'Japanese', 'Korean', 'Chinese', etc in front of the genre. Typing "visual kei" is longer than typing "Japanese". The main reason I'm not liking the extra letter is because it further distances the music from other music. It's putting the music on a pedestal. It's not like Japanese music is far superior to other music.
18981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 1/28/07

redgarnettk wrote:
I would think it would be more useful to classify English music as Apop, Bpop (Britain, or any other country) than Asian countries. With most Asian countries, you can pick out the country just from the language the song is spoken. Also, if one is willing to have correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation on a forum, I see no reason as to why people cannot put the 'Japanese', 'Korean', 'Chinese', etc in front of the genre. Typing "visual kei" is longer than typing "Japanese". The main reason I'm not liking the extra letter is because it further distances the music from other music. It's putting the music on a pedestal. It's not like Japanese music is far superior to other music.


..no one said Japanese music was superior. Adding the J isn't what that's for.

I rarely come across people who still use the term visual kei, whether they're typing or speaking. People usually just refer to it as VK.

Honestly, it just makes things quicker and easier. It's not intended for alienating anything. By nature, humans try to find ways of making their lives simpler, and this is just one way of doing that.
Unicorn Princess
16230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/28/07

lokita wrote:


redgarnettk wrote:
I would think it would be more useful to classify English music as Apop, Bpop (Britain, or any other country) than Asian countries. With most Asian countries, you can pick out the country just from the language the song is spoken. Also, if one is willing to have correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation on a forum, I see no reason as to why people cannot put the 'Japanese', 'Korean', 'Chinese', etc in front of the genre. Typing "visual kei" is longer than typing "Japanese". The main reason I'm not liking the extra letter is because it further distances the music from other music. It's putting the music on a pedestal. It's not like Japanese music is far superior to other music.


..no one said Japanese music was superior. Adding the J isn't what that's for.

I rarely come across people who still use the term visual kei, whether they're typing or speaking. People usually just refer to it as VK.

Honestly, it just makes things quicker and easier. It's not intended for alienating anything. By nature, humans try to find ways of making their lives simpler, and this is just one way of doing that.


I never said that people who use the term are saying that Japanese music is better. I'm saying it is putting the music on a pedestal which makes it stand out more, which in turn makes the genre seem better. Generally however, there are a large amount of people who believe that Japanese music is better than other music (especially with those who believe that Japan's pop music is somehow better than American pop music...an idea that continues to baffle me).

And like I said earlier, there really is no need to put that extra 'j' to make things easier. Generally the language spoken in the song will be able to tell the listener which country the band is from.
18981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 1/28/07

redgarnettk wrote:
I never said that people who use the term are saying that Japanese music is better. I'm saying it is putting the music on a pedestal which makes it stand out more, which in turn makes the genre seem better. Generally however, there are a large amount of people who believe that Japanese music is better than other music (especially with those who believe that Japan's pop music is somehow better than American pop music...an idea that continues to baffle me).

I'm well aware of the Japanophiles who firmly believe that because something is Japanese, it's far better than anything else. However, you'll find people like that all over the place. There are people who think Korean music is the greatest thing on earth, people who think that French music is God's gift to mankind, and people who feel that Americans are better at everything.

I honestly don't see how it's putting the music on a pedestal. All it's doing is letting people know the kind of music someone is listening to. The majority of my friends aren't interested in the same music as I am. Therefore, when I mention a band I like, I let them know the country the band is from.


And like I said earlier, there really is no need to put that extra 'j' to make things easier. Generally the language spoken in the song will be able to tell the listener which country the band is from.

Not necessarily. There are quite a number of bands from X country that'll sing in Y. The TRAX is a good example of that. Despite the fact that they're a Korean band, they have a fair amount of Japanese releases.
Unicorn Princess
16230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/28/07
How is it not putting the music on a pedestal when there are not any other countries' music that we put that extra letter in front of? That is making the music stand out because there are only a select few countries' music that do it.


lokita wrote:

Not necessarily. There are quite a number of bands from X country that'll sing in Y. The TRAX is a good example of that. Despite the fact that they're a Korean band, they have a fair amount of Japanese releases.


How many fans of a band won't go to the website or look up information about the band? Considering the fan(girl)ism of visual kei/"jrock" fans, I have a hard time believing that people don't know what country a particular band is from.

Besides, even if one did want to know what language a band sang in, what difference does it make? Unless you speak the language, you should be listening to the musical aspect of the band rather than the lyrics.
18981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 1/28/07

redgarnettk wrote:

How is it not putting the music on a pedestal when there are not any other countries' music that we put that extra letter in front of? That is making the music stand out because there are only a select few countries' music that do it.

I really don't know what to tell you without repeating everything I've previously stated. I've mentioned that it doesn't put the music on a pedestal and it makes things easier, but you seem to believe otherwise.


How many fans of a band won't go to the website or look up information about the band? Considering the fan(girl)ism of visual kei/"jrock" fans, I have a hard time believing that people don't know what country a particular band is from.

:) VK isn't the only genre to have fangirls. Also, I can honestly say that I've never been to any band's website. It just doesn't interest me. Going back to The TRAX, the classification all comes down to the language of the song. Their songs could either be Jrock or Krock, depending on the language it's sung in.


Besides, even if one did want to know what language a band sang in, what difference does it make? Unless you speak the language, you should be listening to the musical aspect of the band rather than the lyrics.

What's wrong with listening to a song for the lyrics rather than the music? That's completely rude of you to say that, unless I speak X, I can only listen to X bands for the music.

Sometimes the musical/lyrical aspect doesn't matter that much. VK & all its subgenres are an example of that. All those bands revolve around the outfits/make-up.
Posted 1/28/07

redgarnettk wrote:


JessicaN2 wrote:


lokita wrote:


JessicaN2 wrote:

Well, I've never actually listened to Japanese bands unless I'm listening to opening/ending themes for an anime.

I would not mind giving it a shot though.


So, if anyone as any recommendations I'd be glad to know them.


There are so, so many amazing bands out there. A few pages back I posted some recommendations.

What kind of music are you into? Jpop? Jrock? Pop-rock? If you give me a genre, I'll be able to recommend bands that you might be interested in.


I guess I would like Jrock and some Pop - rock.

I'm actually trying to explore new genres anyways so, just give me what you think would be good to start out with.



Try giving a list of some bands you like, even if they aren't Japanese. That'll better help specify exactly what genre you're most into. "Rock" is a general genre and there are a lot of subgenres within that genre.


Nightwish ( Goth )
Epica ( Goth/Metal )
Leaves Eyes ( Goth/Metal )
Nocturna ( Goth )
Within Temptation ( Goth/Rock )
The Birthday Massacre ( Alternative/Industrial )
Mindless Self Indulgence ( Alternative/Industrial )
Stoneman ( Goth/Metal )

I'm abit busy now and so I may take awhile to reply but if you ( Anyone ) have any ideas; just pm and I greatly Appreciate this.



369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Chinatown
Offline
Posted 1/28/07

lokita wrote:


mimmy wrote:
just bands i'd have to say
• Monkey Majik
• The Back Horn
• ELLEGARDEN
• Mr. Children
• Asian Kung-fu Generation
• Porno Graffitti


:D! I love all of them. For some reason, though, I'm not really big on ELLEGARDEN's Japanese songs. :/


i know what you mean ELLEGARDEN can be a bit hit & miss when it comes to some of their songs

Unicorn Princess
16230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/28/07

lokita wrote:

I really don't know what to tell you without repeating everything I've previously stated. I've mentioned that it doesn't put the music on a pedestal and it makes things easier, but you seem to believe otherwise.


And obviously you are not paying attention to what I am saying. I'm saying that by using the extra letter, you are excluding the music. That places the music on a pedestal. I don't see how this is complicated. I told you it DOESN'T make things easier because people don't care what country the music is from. The only reason it makes things easier is that it helps organize the videos on sites such as this one.


lokita wrote:

:) VK isn't the only genre to have fangirls. Also, I can honestly say that I've never been to any band's website. It just doesn't interest me. Going back to The TRAX, the classification all comes down to the language of the song. Their songs could either be Jrock or Krock, depending on the language it's sung in.


You aren't much of a fan if you haven't gone to their site or if you haven't at least looked at a page to read about the band. If you don't even care about reading about the band (and you're just listening to the music because of the pretty boys), why do you care about what country the band is from or what language the lyrics are sung in (unless you're doing it for "indie" cred)? I think it's pointless if that's your argument. You can determine the "j" or "k" by the lyrics sung (whether it is sung in Japanese or Korean). And like I'm saying below, the lyrics don't even matter if you can't understand the language.


lokita wrote:

What's wrong with listening to a song for the lyrics rather than the music? That's completely rude of you to say that, unless I speak X, I can only listen to X bands for the music.

Sometimes the musical/lyrical aspect doesn't matter that much. VK & all its subgenres are an example of that. All those bands revolve around the outfits/make-up.


How is it rude to say that if you don't speak the language, you shouldn't be listening to the lyrical aspect of a song? How can you UNDERSTAND the lyrics if you don't speak the language? It makes no sense. Even if you did decide to look up english translations, then what? Then you have someone else's translations. There is no personal meaning to the lyrics then. You are reading another's opinion on what the lyrics represent, not your own.

And the way you're saying that the musical/lyrical aspect doesn't matter sometimes only further advances my argument that the extra j or k is irrelevant because you don't understand the language. Why would you care what language it's in if you're just looking at the outfits and makeup?
18981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 1/28/07

And obviously you are not paying attention to what I am saying. I'm saying that by using the extra letter, you are excluding the music. That places the music on a pedestal. I don't see how this is complicated. I told you it DOESN'T make things easier because people don't care what country the music is from. The only reason it makes things easier is that it helps organize the videos on sites such as this one.


sigh. Sweetheart, listen to me. You're just repeating yourself. Please stop it. Believe it or not, many people do care what country some music is from.


You aren't much of a fan if you haven't gone to their site or if you haven't at least looked at a page to read about the band. If you don't even care about reading about the band (and you're just listening to the music because of the pretty boys), why do you care about what country the band is from or what language the lyrics are sung in (unless you're doing it for "indie" cred)? I think it's pointless if that's your argument. You can determine the "j" or "k" by the lyrics sung (whether it is sung in Japanese or Korean). And like I'm saying below, the lyrics don't even matter if you can't understand the language.


Lmao, ok. So just because I don't look at their websites, that means I don't give a damn? I actually know quite a lot about many, many bands that I listen to. XD Lol, and you're putting words in my mouth by saying that since I don't look at their websites I'm only interested in them because they're 'pretty' or because I want Indie cred. I'm afraid you're wrong.


lWhy would you care what language it's in if you're just looking at the outfits and makeup?


Please stop putting words in my mouth. I never said I'm interested in bands because of their looks. Do you know what VK means?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.