First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Wicca/Wiccans
28134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / USA, vague enough...
Offline
Posted 11/3/11 , edited 11/3/11
I'm Wiccan, and proud.

I researched many different religions before deciding the Wicca met my basic spiritual and religious needs.

I'm willing to answer any questions anyone has, so long as it's respectful. I don't Bash other people's religions, and I have looked into many of them, so please, no telling me "Your going to hell" or "Your blasphemous! Damn you!" I get enough of that in the real world, thank you very much.

Some basic info about me:
I'm a solitary, or a hedgewitch, meaning I don't have a coven. A coven would be a group of Wicca that get together to worship as a whole, usually for special occasions, though some covens meet often.

I focus more on meditation and one-ness then the glamorized 'magic' aspect. I have cast what can be called spells, and they have worked. This is not why I practice Wicca, spells are a tool, not a religion in themselves.

Lets see....

I do not dance naked in a field when there's a full moon.
I do not drink blood or sacrifice chickens.
I am not [/b ]goth
I donot ride a broomstick, and I don't think I can fly.

I do follow the golden rule, also known as the rule of three.
I do worship multiple deities.
I do respect nature
I do respect your right to have your own beliefs, so please respect mine.
4951 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / France
Offline
Posted 11/12/11
I'm a solitary witch :)
Which means, I practice alone, me and my own craft
6212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Montana US
Offline
Posted 4/28/12 , edited 4/28/12

bedlamwolf wrote:

I'm Wiccan, and proud.

I researched many different religions before deciding the Wicca met my basic spiritual and religious needs.

I'm willing to answer any questions anyone has, so long as it's respectful. I don't Bash other people's religions, and I have looked into many of them, so please, no telling me "Your going to hell" or "Your blasphemous! Damn you!" I get enough of that in the real world, thank you very much.

Some basic info about me:
I'm a solitary, or a hedgewitch, meaning I don't have a coven. A coven would be a group of Wicca that get together to worship as a whole, usually for special occasions, though some covens meet often.

I focus more on meditation and one-ness then the glamorized 'magic' aspect. I have cast what can be called spells, and they have worked. This is not why I practice Wicca, spells are a tool, not a religion in themselves.

Lets see....

I do not dance naked in a field when there's a full moon.
I do not drink blood or sacrifice chickens.
I am not [/b ]goth
I donot ride a broomstick, and I don't think I can fly.

I do follow the golden rule, also known as the rule of three.
I do worship multiple deities.
I do respect nature
I do respect your right to have your own beliefs, so please respect mine.


I started reading about it and I became interested. The book I read mentioned finding a teacher, although it is not mandatory. Did you find a teacher or did you find most information from books and the internet? If you didn't have a teacher, did you feel that you were missing out on some important information? I apologize if this is off topic, but I really do not know how to get advice from experienced Wiccans.
28134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / USA, vague enough...
Offline
Posted 4/28/12

dragonroo wrote:


bedlamwolf wrote:

I'm Wiccan, and proud.

I researched many different religions before deciding the Wicca met my basic spiritual and religious needs.

I'm willing to answer any questions anyone has, so long as it's respectful. I don't Bash other people's religions, and I have looked into many of them, so please, no telling me "Your going to hell" or "Your blasphemous! Damn you!" I get enough of that in the real world, thank you very much.

Some basic info about me:
I'm a solitary, or a hedgewitch, meaning I don't have a coven. A coven would be a group of Wicca that get together to worship as a whole, usually for special occasions, though some covens meet often.

I focus more on meditation and one-ness then the glamorized 'magic' aspect. I have cast what can be called spells, and they have worked. This is not why I practice Wicca, spells are a tool, not a religion in themselves.

Lets see....

I do not dance naked in a field when there's a full moon.
I do not drink blood or sacrifice chickens.
I am not [/b ]goth
I donot ride a broomstick, and I don't think I can fly.

I do follow the golden rule, also known as the rule of three.
I do worship multiple deities.
I do respect nature
I do respect your right to have your own beliefs, so please respect mine.


I started reading about it and I became interested. The book I read mentioned finding a teacher, although it is not mandatory. Did you find a teacher or did you find most information from books and the internet? If you didn't have a teacher, did you feel that you were missing out on some important information?


I live very rural, VERY religious area, so I didn't find a teacher. In fact, I only know of four or five other Wiccan/Pagens in my area, all my age or younger. A large amount of my information to begin with came from books, though I did get in touch with others in college and we learned from each-other. I never felt like I was missing out, since the sources I used were very diverse. I got books from many different authors, even a few that I didn't necessarily agree with fully to see there take on things. Actually, I felt on some level like I was being guided I know that sounds kind of lame, when I say it though. Talking with others who are mostly self-taught, most seem to be more cautious, but others have mentioned feeling 'pulled' or lead to do one thing or another, even without a physical mentor.
6212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Montana US
Offline
Posted 4/28/12

bedlamwolf wrote:


dragonroo wrote:


bedlamwolf wrote:

I'm Wiccan, and proud.

I researched many different religions before deciding the Wicca met my basic spiritual and religious needs.

I'm willing to answer any questions anyone has, so long as it's respectful. I don't Bash other people's religions, and I have looked into many of them, so please, no telling me "Your going to hell" or "Your blasphemous! Damn you!" I get enough of that in the real world, thank you very much.

Some basic info about me:
I'm a solitary, or a hedgewitch, meaning I don't have a coven. A coven would be a group of Wicca that get together to worship as a whole, usually for special occasions, though some covens meet often.

I focus more on meditation and one-ness then the glamorized 'magic' aspect. I have cast what can be called spells, and they have worked. This is not why I practice Wicca, spells are a tool, not a religion in themselves.

Lets see....

I do not dance naked in a field when there's a full moon.
I do not drink blood or sacrifice chickens.
I am not [/b ]goth
I donot ride a broomstick, and I don't think I can fly.

I do follow the golden rule, also known as the rule of three.
I do worship multiple deities.
I do respect nature
I do respect your right to have your own beliefs, so please respect mine.


I started reading about it and I became interested. The book I read mentioned finding a teacher, although it is not mandatory. Did you find a teacher or did you find most information from books and the internet? If you didn't have a teacher, did you feel that you were missing out on some important information?


I live very rural, VERY religious area, so I didn't find a teacher. In fact, I only know of four or five other Wiccan/Pagens in my area, all my age or younger. A large amount of my information to begin with came from books, though I did get in touch with others in college and we learned from each-other. I never felt like I was missing out, since the sources I used were very diverse. I got books from many different authors, even a few that I didn't necessarily agree with fully to see there take on things. Actually, I felt on some level like I was being guided I know that sounds kind of lame, when I say it though. Talking with others who are mostly self-taught, most seem to be more cautious, but others have mentioned feeling 'pulled' or lead to do one thing or another, even without a physical mentor.


Thank you so much. This has really been helpful, especially since I also live in a very rural and religious area too.
28134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / USA, vague enough...
Offline
Posted 4/28/12

dragonroo wrote:


bedlamwolf wrote:


dragonroo wrote:


bedlamwolf wrote:

I'm Wiccan, and proud.

I researched many different religions before deciding the Wicca met my basic spiritual and religious needs.

I'm willing to answer any questions anyone has, so long as it's respectful. I don't Bash other people's religions, and I have looked into many of them, so please, no telling me "Your going to hell" or "Your blasphemous! Damn you!" I get enough of that in the real world, thank you very much.

Some basic info about me:
I'm a solitary, or a hedgewitch, meaning I don't have a coven. A coven would be a group of Wicca that get together to worship as a whole, usually for special occasions, though some covens meet often.

I focus more on meditation and one-ness then the glamorized 'magic' aspect. I have cast what can be called spells, and they have worked. This is not why I practice Wicca, spells are a tool, not a religion in themselves.

Lets see....

I do not dance naked in a field when there's a full moon.
I do not drink blood or sacrifice chickens.
I am not [/b ]goth
I donot ride a broomstick, and I don't think I can fly.

I do follow the golden rule, also known as the rule of three.
I do worship multiple deities.
I do respect nature
I do respect your right to have your own beliefs, so please respect mine.


I started reading about it and I became interested. The book I read mentioned finding a teacher, although it is not mandatory. Did you find a teacher or did you find most information from books and the internet? If you didn't have a teacher, did you feel that you were missing out on some important information?


I live very rural, VERY religious area, so I didn't find a teacher. In fact, I only know of four or five other Wiccan/Pagens in my area, all my age or younger. A large amount of my information to begin with came from books, though I did get in touch with others in college and we learned from each-other. I never felt like I was missing out, since the sources I used were very diverse. I got books from many different authors, even a few that I didn't necessarily agree with fully to see there take on things. Actually, I felt on some level like I was being guided I know that sounds kind of lame, when I say it though. Talking with others who are mostly self-taught, most seem to be more cautious, but others have mentioned feeling 'pulled' or lead to do one thing or another, even without a physical mentor.


Thank you so much. This has really been helpful, especially since I also live in a very rural and religious area too.


Glad I could help~ Living rural makes having an alternative religion very difficult at times. (Oh, the slightly-funny stories I could share...) If you do decide to follow Wicca and can't find a teacher, read LOTS, and check for some good web-groups for support if you feel you need it. If you have any other questions or just want to talk, feel free to drop me a message anytime.
Posted 4/30/12
i had an ex girlfriend who was wiccan and I have to say meeting her friends who were also seriously practicing were some of the best people I've EVER met. I'm not a religious person at all, just open minded. I wish I could meet more in my area
5349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 5/15/12
Anyone here who is Wiccan may feel free to debate me on this, I will happily listen to your point of view.

However, I view the Wicca faith as little more than an off-shoot of various pagan beliefs; Basically a group of people wanted to be pagans, but just couldn't find an ideal in any form of traditional paganism that they could get behind, so they cherry-picked from various pagan faiths, slapped them together, and boom: Wicca

It's not the first time a religion has been formed in this manner, and I'm certain it will not be the last
130903 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / 私自身の不思議の国
Offline
Posted 7/15/12
I'm not in Wiccan myself in real life.
But I like to check into different views of this religion, out of my pure curiously.
7157 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Europe
Offline
Posted 7/16/12 , edited 7/16/12
I'm atheist, but I've been to a few open Wiccan services out of curiosity. There was a lot of meditation, discussion, and at one, I think it was the Spring Equinox, there was a group dance. All of it always began with a creation of a circle, and ended with closing it.

It was relaxing and fun, and while not enlightening for me it was educational.
4582 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / ireland
Offline
Posted 7/18/12
my friend is into all that shit. I have a feeling she's going to grow out of it by the time she hits her mid-twenties, like most wiccans I've known.

Boring jobs and looking to start famalies seem to be what makes people lose interest.
32300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Somewhere off in...
Offline
Posted 8/13/12
I went to a few wiccan services when I was in the air force. Out of all of my limited experiences with religious groups they definitively have been the most fun down to earth and non judgmental group I've seen.
36082 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/16/12
Two quick helpful factoids

The type of hooves determined if an animal was clean or unclean according to the Jewish tradition which is why Satan being evil is shown with hooves of an unclean animal. Christianity stemming from the Jewish religion thus adopted this imagery.

As far as Satan and snakes, the first appearance of Satan in the Bible is him as a snake when he tempted Eve to eat the forbidden fruit. So as far as consistent imagery it doesn't get more consistent than snake in the beginning, snake in the end. It's also interesting to note that the snake was cursed to crawl on its belly after the fiasco which might imply it having legs before aka a Dragon.

I believe that to answer your original question, the connection with Satan having supernatural power and "lending" those powers to his "adherents" might be what some consider Satan causing "magic".

Always love a mind who is open and questioning...

Truth never fears a challenge.
20990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 8/23/12
Over the years, I've done a great deal of religious research. Thankfully, I grew up with parents who didn't give two pinches and therefore allowed me the chance to explore any and all (or none) of the different and varied options out there. I've looked into the more mainstream religions (Christianity, Judaism, so forth) as well as more non-traditional ones. In my study of Wicca, and many of the splinter beliefs there of, I've noted the following.

Being a polytheistic religion, it doesn't depend on one specific being to 'do it all' to summarize. Each of the various deities has a role and are interdependent on one another to keep a sort of balance in the cosmology they create. While many of the varying splinter groups have more or fewer deities depending on preference or taste, the basic concept is still the same, with the most important aspects of life being represented and presided over by a divine entity. In this model, one can be devoted to more than one aspect of life without having to necessarily acknowledge those aspects that they might not like or feel an affinity for. In this way there is a good deal more freedom for someone who might be looking for something to fulfill a specific spiritual void without having to accept or honor an entire doctrine.

In this way, Wicca is far more progressive than other religions. It allows for a differing of opinions and thought without taking away from the ideology as a whole. Most monotheistic religions demand that a follower accept all or nothing, with very little room for any interpretation. Whether this attitude of latitude is a superior one or not is up to the individual to decide, but many people appreciate it for the freedom of spirituality if provides.

I wanted to touch briefly on one of the comments above about people 'growing out of' believing something. I'd like to throw down the BS flag on that because it isn't a matter of 'growing out of it' at all. Most often, in a climate ripe with intolerance and bigotry, people simply suppress their views and practices to save themselves from daily ridicule by ignorant people who don't take the time to actually understand something. I catch a great deal of flack in my job because I'm agnostic, whereas a vast majority of the people I work with are Christian. Their intolerance and wanton stupidity makes me sick sometimes but I've never once attacked them for believing what their hearts accept as true. While I don't get extended that same courtesy for the most part, I don't see the need to be ignorant and stupid back. And I don't feel the need to change myself simply because it isn't a popular ideology. Boring jobs and the desire for a family has nothing to do with your belief structure, it's just an excuse used to justify abandoning something you hold dear to save a little face.
18 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 10/12/12
I feel like people that don't know what it means to be a Wiccan are generally the ones that attach a negative connotation to it, simply because it is unknown to them.
I have the privilege of knowing a high priest and priestess of the local coven of my town, and they are the most wonderful people I know.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.