WEEKEND TICKETS GOING FAST!

PRICES GO UP AT THE GATE

PURCHASE TICKET
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
One Male VS Female Thread to Kill Them All!
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/8/07 , edited 8/9/07
(Note the first section of this is not necessary to read to participate. Most of what it says is pretty standard. It explains the general idea of the thread and requests good behavior.)

EDITED IN NOTE: PLEASE do NOT post if you are not willing to read the opening post! (This one.) Please do not post ignorant crap about how men are better than women. Please do not post ignorant crap about how women are better than men. This thread is about comparing and contrasting strengths, not the value of individuals.

There has been here on CR a massive wave of threads comparing the strengths and weaknesses of the two sexes. This being said I have created a thread to encompass all male/female comparisons. Although I do not encourage sexism or sexual stereotyping I do not find the controversy is an excuse to remain ignorant of the truth; moreover, I feel strongly that it’s about time we settle this.

I think that the assumption of “If you look at all strengths and weaknesses of men and women they both come out with the same score” is overly optimistic. I also know that the assumption that male and females have no variation in potential as far as mental and physical capabilities go.

The obvious stereotype says that men have more strength, women more brains. To generalize the first half is known to be true, but the second half is debated. This being said there has been a question of, “Can women fight like men,” and “Are Women Smarter than men?”

In this thread I hope to give answers to both of these inquiries along with all other related questions. Are there truly psychological and social differences in men and women? Is it true that women gossip more because of brain functions? Is it true that men lie more?

These posts will simply put, hand out the evidence. The decision to the answer is up to you. The thread exists for people to be educated on not only the differences, but also the similarities between the sexes. Post your conclusions and comments here. I will post websites that can be relied upon for further information at the end of the post. Please do not make useless or crude comments.

This thread is not for one sex or the other to claim superiority. It is most certainly not for men to come in here shouting, “Take that women!” or women to come in here shouting, “See! I told you men were stupid!” I humbly request you look at this thread seriously or simply leave and stop wasting your time now. Please be as prudent as possible. Heated conversation is acceptable, but I ask you now to refrain from flaming and straightforward argument. This being said I expect extreme controversy but I am sick of the forum being flooded with threads that all have the same purpose. That is (childishly) to prove the superiority of one sex in one or more areas in a furtive manor. So, let’s get started!
-------------------
The studies of Benbow and her colleagues show us some of the most major differences in male and female cognitive capabilities from a statistical end. This, however, is not entirely reliable. This could in fact be a cultural result. None the less the discoveries of her studies show us some incredibly profound variations in men and women and their thinking power.

Let us, for example, look at the SAT tests statistics. This shows that the ratio of men who score over five hundred on the mathematical portion of the test to women is two to one. This, however, is a tiny difference compared to the next to levels. The statistics remain in favor of men when we raise the score a hundred points, and they double at the same time. In other words there are four men who score 600 or higher for every woman. So what about 700, you ask. There are thirteen times as many men who score higher than 700 than women. These statistics have held up for twenty-five years.

However, these do not necessarily prove anything. The test also shows that statistically most of the people to reach these levels were left-handed. Does this mean that if right-handed chess master approaches a left-handed layman he’s going to find himself outsmarted? Not at all.

There are also the cultural influences to be considered. There is more pressure, in our modern world, on the average man to excel than there is on the average woman. (Obviously this varies from person to person. This condition seems to have been created because women can feel more comfortable living off of a man’s income than the other way around. In other words there’s more for a woman to fall back on than there is for man in our cultures. This is often used to destroy the feminist argument that life is naturally harder for women in our cultures, but this is again not necessarily true.)

We also have to look at the bigger picture. It is easy for one to focus on one strand of evidence and ignore another, so as to form favor for them. For example, I could point out that men have 6.5 times more gray matter than women while ignoring the truth that women have 9 times more white matter than men.

We do know that girls learn language skills (on average) faster than boys do. They learn to talk sooner. We also know that stutterers are almost strictly men, and that dyslexia is almost entirely a male disorder. (Interestingly people who are left handed are more prone to these disorders than right handed.)

Basically what all of this is showing is that men have a tendency (on statistics) to reach the extremes. The cognitive masters and cognitive novices are typically men. So what about the average men and average woman?

Statistics show the average man scores 47 to 50 points higher than the average female on the same portion of the SAT. Again, this may be a result of culture more than biological difference.

The SAT scores on the verbal portion are a good example of how culture can effect scores on tests. Initially women were scoring (on average) notably higher than men. Some time ago the lines crossed and now men are the ones scoring higher. (This being said scores for men and women have gone down notably over the generations.)

Another thing to consider is life span. When are these differences most notable? When do they fall in favor of which sex? Studies show that girls have an advantage in arithmetic as early as elementary school. As I believe was mentioned before girls mature faster than boys, but the same statistics of arithmetic scores that supports this also claims that boys not only catch up but also eventually surpass the girls. In early middle school the statistics change and fall in favor of males. (Keep in mind this is all national and international.)

What about elderly men and women? Well, this is a very hard comparison to make. Men die earlier than women do (on average) and thus it is difficult to monitor their changes. This being said there is no completely reliable information on male ands female differences in late age, but the gaps between them seems to follow its continuity at a roughly constant deviant.

There are also reports of very large effects on spatial-temporal tasks favoring males, and tests of associational fluency favoring females. The difference is comparable to the variation in IQ between a 13yearold and an 18yearold.

Something else that needs to be kept in mind is handedness. I’m going to quote my main source of online information here to explain this part.



In a large study researchers reported sex by handedness interaction on cognitive tests. They used three large samples in different geographical areas of the country, so they had built-in two replication samples. They used multiple measures of spatial and verbal ability, and they found that while, overall, males performed better than females on 14 out of 15 of the different spatial tasks, across three geographically distinct samples, they found that left-handed males performed poorer than right-handed males on all 15 of these tests across all three samples. On the other hand, left-handed females performed better than right-handed females on 12 of these tests. Reverse results were found with verbal abilities
These results are particularly important because we have no reason to believe that sex role pressures, learning environments, or any other psychosocial variable differs as a function of laterality.


For fear of scaring off Crers I’m closing here, for now. I’ll post my online sources so you can go on if you wish. I’ll most likely (depending on how the community acts to this) come back and further this myself. (Either through Edit or through further posts, whichever fits more appropriately.) I apologies to those of you who are actually interested in intellectually stimulating matters for this sudden and probably out of place halt.

http://www.sfu.ca/~dkimura/articles/Ceci%20Essay.htm

http://www.neuropsychiatryreviews.com/mar05/menandwomen.html
http://www.markgalli.com/galliblog/?p=55 (This one is to be relied upon very-very lightly.)
http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/05-03-15.html#gender_differences (my main online source.)

A final note is that I think it is sad that this comparison is necessary. I don't see why men and women feel the urge to compete with one another, when we naturally work so well together.
10553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 8/9/07
we need each other.... were not suposed to kill the other half... thier was originally one HUman... and that human was lonely... hence God took a rib/genes and mixed it with dirt to make woman... and the original human missin a rib/gene was now Man.... its why were after women..caus were lonely... and we have mixed feelings about our missin rib/gene... but its ok.. we value the women more... and thiers now us too... so its all good.. were ment to be together as one... not trying to kill eachother so theirs none
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/9/07
Thanks for you comment but you probably shouldn’t have expressed your religious beliefs so bluntly and freely. Now you’re going to get a bunch of those ignorant antireligious brats in here complaining about how ignorant you are and how you’re beliefs are dumb and theirs are great, and how religion is evil, religion is a crutch, you’re ignorant… *Sigh* Anytime you post something like that it may be wise to finish it with a “In my opinion/belief”

Anyway, for what it is worth I agree.
24645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / 横浜市
Offline
Posted 8/9/07

SeraphAlford wrote:

Thanks for you comment but you probably shouldn’t have expressed your religious beliefs so bluntly and freely. Now you’re going to get a bunch of those ignorant antireligious brats in here complaining about how ignorant you are and how you’re beliefs are dumb and theirs are great, and how religion is evil, religion is a crutch, you’re ignorant… *Sigh* Anytime you post something like that it may be wise to finish it with a “In my opinion/belief”

Anyway, for what it is worth I agree.


Don't temp me Seph! But I'll stay on topic and post a simple joke.

If you ask why did God create men before who will get conflicting answers.

Men answer : Because men are clearly superior.

Women answer : Because everyone needs a first draft.
413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / the bottom, Florida
Offline
Posted 8/9/07

orangemaen wrote:


SeraphAlford wrote:

Thanks for you comment but you probably shouldn’t have expressed your religious beliefs so bluntly and freely. Now you’re going to get a bunch of those ignorant antireligious brats in here complaining about how ignorant you are and how you’re beliefs are dumb and theirs are great, and how religion is evil, religion is a crutch, you’re ignorant… *Sigh* Anytime you post something like that it may be wise to finish it with a “In my opinion/belief”

Anyway, for what it is worth I agree.


Don't temp me Seph! But I'll stay on topic and post a simple joke.

If you ask why did God create men before who will get conflicting answers.

Men answer : Because men are clearly superior.

Women answer : Because everyone needs a first draft.

ROFL! I say females ftw!
11277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Iloilo City, PH
Offline
Posted 8/9/07
hmm... I don't see a reason to stop the senseless self-flaming ignoramuses roaming this little slice of internet real estate that we call crunchyroll...

i know it's annoying as hell trolling around threads and trying to rationalize with the (insert prefix of choice here)-tards... but we humans are the willing blind... I see nothing, therefore I'm ignorant of the evils that I deprive myself to see...

and given that choice i am willing to sit back and watch idiots slaughter each other with a smile on my face because after all; I don't have that much compassion in me...
15333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / KSA
Offline
Posted 8/9/07
Dude... you wrote too much!
2055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Undisclosed
Offline
Posted 8/9/07
Males are the superior gender.

Case closed.
Posted 8/9/07
^narrow-minded, aren't we? lol

anyway....I think manzi is right...and I'll be behind him making popcorn....yum....

...man, I'm hungry... XD
2055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Undisclosed
Offline
Posted 8/9/07
God obviously made females to cook and do dishes. He foresaw, when females were put on this Earth, that mankind will have to go through a period of time where there are no dishwashers and robots to do the cleaning. That's why he created females. So that they do the jobs for the men, until we made the dishwashers and robots that clean for us.

After we (by we, I mean men, since women don't invent things) make robots that clean for us, women will get put into the category as we know as "obsolete".
42013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F / Fort Meade, MD
Offline
Posted 8/9/07

Stratify wrote:

God obviously made females to cook and do dishes. He foresaw, when females were put on this Earth, that mankind will have to go through a period of time where there are no dishwashers and robots to do the cleaning. That's why he created females. So that they do the jobs for the men, until we made the dishwashers and robots that clean for us.

After we (by we, I mean men, since women don't invent things) make robots that clean for us, women will get put into the category as we know as "obsolete".


I'd be willing to bet every fucking penny i own that you're single, unless you don't actually treat women like you say.
'cause if you did, there'd be line out the door of women waiting to kick you in the balls.
:::smiles:::

*note sry seraph, i WILL read your HUGE FREAKING POST... just need to not be sick and have time.
then i'll edit!
11277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Iloilo City, PH
Offline
Posted 8/9/07
@Stratify: therefore you don't need women because you're perfectly happy with robots or machines...
2055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Undisclosed
Offline
Posted 8/9/07
I hope you're rich, cause I'm not single.
Do you want to pay paypal or what?
18981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 8/9/07

Stratify wrote:

God obviously made females to cook and do dishes. He foresaw, when females were put on this Earth, that mankind will have to go through a period of time where there are no dishwashers and robots to do the cleaning. That's why he created females. So that they do the jobs for the men, until we made the dishwashers and robots that clean for us.

After we (by we, I mean men, since women don't invent things) make robots that clean for us, women will get put into the category as we know as "obsolete".


lawl.
2055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Undisclosed
Offline
Posted 8/9/07

manzi wrote:

@Stratify: therefore you don't need women because you're perfectly happy with robots or machines...


I get your point completely, and I agree. Women arn't just used for house chores, they're also meant to satisfy the male desires. Thanks for bringing that up.

I forgot, cause I woke up a few hours ago. My male drive pick up until noon and after.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.