First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply 家族 Kazoku (Family)
Member
2564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 3/5/08
In Japanese, your own family members and other people's family members are addressed differently. Here are just some of the words for addressing your family and another person's family. Watashi no Kazoku (My Family) is a list of words to address your own family, while Anata no Kazoku (Your Family) is a list of words to address another person's family.

Note: Taken from Minna no Nihongo Translation Textbook


わたし の 家族 - Watashi no Kazoku (My Family)

祖母 /そぼ (sobo) - grandmother
祖父 /そふ (sofu) - grandfather
母 / はは (haha) - mother
父 /ちち (chichi) - father
兄 /あに (ani) - elder brother
姉 / あね (ane) - elder sister
弟 / おとうと (otouto) - younger brother
妹 / いもうと (imouto) - younger sister
妻 / つま (tsuma) - wife
夫 / おっと (otto) - husband
娘 / むすめ (musume) - daughter
息子 / むすこ (musuko) - son
子ども / こども (kodomo) - children
祖父母 / そふぼ (sofubo) - grandparents
両親 / りょうしん (ryoushin) - parents
兄弟 / きょうだい (kyoudai) - brothers & sisters/siblings
夫婦 / ふうふ (fuufu) - husband & wife


あなた の 家族 - Anata no Kazoku (Your Family)

おばあさん (obaasan) - grandmother
おじいさん (ojiisan) - grandfather
お母さん / おかあさん (okaasan) - mother
お父さん / おとおさん (otoosan) - father
お兄さん / おにいさん (oniisan) - elder brother
お姉さん / おねえさん (oneesan) - elder sister
弟さん / おとうとさん (otoutosan) - younger brother
妹さん / いもうとさん (imoutosan) - younger sister
奥さん / おくさん (okusan) - wife
ご主人 / ごしゅじん (goshujin) - husband
娘さん / むすめさん (musumesan) - daughter
息子さん / むすこさん (musukosan) - son
お子さん / おこさん (okosan) - children
ご両親 / ごりょうしん (goryoushin) - parents
ご兄弟 / ごきょうだい (gokyoudai) - brothers & sisters/siblings
ご夫婦 / ごふうふ (gofuufu) - husband & wife


Member
6822 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 3/5/08

ehcie-utada wrote:

In Japanese, your own family members and other people's family members are addressed differently. Here are just some of the words for addressing your family and another person's family. Watashi no Kazoku (My Family) is a list of words to address your own family, while Anata no Kazoku (Your Family) is a list of words to address another person's family.

Note: Taken from Minna no Nihongo Translation Textbook


わたし の 家族 - Watashi no Kazoku (My Family)

祖母 /そぼ (sobo) - grandmother
祖父 /そふ (sofu) - grandfather
母 / はは (haha) - mother
父 /ちち (chichi) - father
兄 /あに (ani) - elder brother
姉 / あね (ane) - elder sister
弟 / おとうと (otouto) - younger brother
妹 / いもうと (imouto) - younger sister
妻 / つま (tsuma) - wife
夫 / おっと (otto) - husband
娘 / むすめ (musume) - daughter
息子 / むすこ (musuko) - son
子ども / こども (kodomo) - children
祖父母 / そふぼ (sofubo) - grandparents
両親 / りょうしん (ryoushin) - parents
兄弟 / きょうだい (kyoudai) - brothers & sisters/siblings
夫婦 / ふうふ (fuufu) - husband & wife


あなた の 家族 - Anata no Kazoku (Your Family)

おばあさん (obaasan) - grandmother
おじいさん (ojiisan) - grandfather
お母さん / おかあさん (okaasan) - mother
お父さん / おとおさん (otoosan) - father
お兄さん / おにいさん (oniisan) - elder brother
お姉さん / おねえさん (oneesan) - elder sister
弟さん / おとうとさん (otoutosan) - younger brother
妹さん / いもうとさん (imoutosan) - younger sister
奥さん / おくさん (okusan) - wife
ご主人 / ごしゅじん (goshujin) - husband
娘さん / むすめさん (musumesan) - daughter
息子さん / むすこさん (musukosan) - son
お子さん / おこさん (okosan) - children
ご両親 / ごりょうしん (goryoushin) - parents
ご兄弟 / ごきょうだい (gokyoudai) - brothers & sisters/siblings
ご夫婦 / ごふうふ (gofuufu) - husband & wife


hi!! i want to ask u something! well... when i watch anime, and there is a part when somebody call their moms, they usually call them like this: okasan, matte..!* (mom, wait) so.. i dont understand something!! if they are calling their moms why they called them okasan, instead of "haha" ??
Member
6822 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 3/5/08
could somebody explain me! if it is haha, when im talking about "my family"! or is okasan when im talking about "my family"! not just okasan, but otoosan, obaasan , etc...
Creator
1946 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 3/5/08
mm, i'm not very strong in this subject, but i think i may know why.

When you say "Okaasan! matte!" You're addressing your mother directly.

When you talk to another person about your mom, you say, "Watashi no haha ha kirei desu" (My mother is pretty.)

that might be the reason, although i'm not too sure.
Creator
1946 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 3/5/08
btw, awesome psot
:) stickzorz
Member
6822 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 3/5/08

sunwooz wrote:

mm, i'm not very strong in this subject, but i think i may know why.

When you say "Okaasan! matte!" You're addressing your mother directly.

When you talk to another person about your mom, you say, "Watashi no haha ha kirei desu" (My mother is pretty.)

that might be the reason, although i'm not too sure.

uhm..... soka.... thnks! so when u re talking with someone about ur family! u use haha,but when u say it directly to ur parents/family u use okasan or otoosan! right!!?? heheh !! thnsk!!
Member
6480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Intelligence Route
Offline
Posted 3/20/08
Ahh, I understood it now. The Kazokus are great. I can remember it.
Member
6480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Intelligence Route
Offline
Posted 3/20/08
1. Okay but I heard someone calling his grandpa " Ojichan " instead of " Ojisan "
Sounds immatured right?

2. What is watasan? I think it's not a good language but what is it?
Creator
1946 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 3/21/08
ojii-chan is just a very familiar way of calling your grandpa, "grandpa". It's not considered to be offensive if you're close with your grandpa.

Watasan? maybe you mean, "Wata-san". Wata just being a name, and -san being seperate.
Member
2381 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / ~ earth ~
Offline
Posted 3/22/08
what about uncle and aunt?

I think its oba-san isn't for aunt and oji-san for uncle...?

am I right?
Member
2564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 3/23/08
obaasan means grandmother.
ojiisan means grandfather.

...well, those were written in my japanese language book, if i remember it correctly.
Member
18150 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / EARTH
Offline
Posted 5/11/08
there`s a diffirent between obaasan & obasan obaasan means Grandma obasan is aunt it gets diffirent when you add A to it
Member
4009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Fanfiction.net an...
Offline
Posted 6/6/08 , edited 6/6/08

mia_chan88 wrote:

there`s a diffirent between obaasan & obasan obaasan means Grandma obasan is aunt it gets diffirent when you add A to it


So when you call someone aunt you would pronounce it like "oh-bah-san" and then when you say grandma you would say it like, "oh-baah-san" (you would add stress to the 'a')

Or is there something else?
Member
18150 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / EARTH
Offline
Posted 6/7/08

Rx2D wrote:


mia_chan88 wrote:

there`s a diffirent between obaasan & obasan obaasan means Grandma obasan is aunt it gets diffirent when you add A to it


So when you call someone aunt you would pronounce it like "oh-bah-san" and then when you say grandma you would say it like, "oh-baah-san" (you would add stress to the 'a')

Or is there something else?


yup that`s it
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.