First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Harsh Interrogation Methods
1337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / East Coast
Offline
Posted 3/7/08
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080308/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_torture

The CIA is renowned for using harsh methods to interrogate prisoners, these days mostly suspects of terrorism.
Anyone who has seen the movie 'The Good Shepherd' would know what I was talking about.

One of these is called waterboarding, which is a method to simulate drowning. Drowning is a terrifying experience and this method of torture has traumatized (maybe even killed) hundreds of people.
In my opinion it should definitely be banned from use. It's medieval and wrong on so many levels.

Congress has put up a bill to bar the CIA from using waterboarding as well as many other harsh methods of interrogation, but President Bush has other plans. He believes it would limit the United States ability to confront terrorism.

What are your thoughts on these methods to interrogate prisoners? are they justified? should the bill be passed?
2335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Earth
Offline
Posted 3/9/08
whoa! too much... it so harsh, they should ban it... I really don't know what to say...
president bush was right that it will limit the terrorism but also wrong many people might protest on this kind of interrogation
Posted 3/9/08
Waterboarding is in my opinion one of the more decent methods compared to other horrific methods. Anyways why should we care? I don't mind them doing what they want since I am not really involved in any suspect shit. Of course it might happen that they torture an innocent one, but hey shit happens. And also it is not like they were torturing everyone they see....and even if it was, it's not one of the main problems that should be solved here.
Anyways there are a lot more effective methods of how to torture someone without leaving marks on their bodies. :D

Floetry~
1328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Closing in
Offline
Posted 3/9/08
Officially banned, but used in reality.
Officially allowed, and used in reality.
Does it make a difference? It's not like CIA will stop using torture anyway. Although CIA meets criticism, they are unofficially and/or officially allowed to continue their methods as always. It is only a question of how much they should be offically allowed to continue, that is: how much of a political point some politicians want to make about where they "stand". I find it irrelevant, just a image point. If politicians really didn't sanction brutality, they would have changed the CIA long ago.
27712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / CA
Offline
Posted 3/9/08
Well if we had to torture them I would do mentle torture not physical because people can't really protest to them saying things to get them to talk. It won't hurt anybody. So in answer to the question no we shouldn't use torture, but if we have to we use mental torture not physical.
Posted 3/9/08

crunchylover wrote:

Well if we had to torture them I would do mentle torture not physical because people can't really protest to them saying things to get them to talk. It won't hurt anybody. So in answer to the question no we shouldn't use torture, but if we have to we use mental torture not physical.


That's even more traumatic than any form of physical torture.

You do know what constitutes a "mental torture," right?
4095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Los Angeles, Cali...
Offline
Posted 3/9/08
i don't think waterboarding is that bad compared to some tortures i've heard about.

i've heard of some pretty nasty shit, i'd rather be waterboarded than go through some of the things i've heard about.
27712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / CA
Offline
Posted 3/14/08

Draykid wrote:


crunchylover wrote:

Well if we had to torture them I would do mentle torture not physical because people can't really protest to them saying things to get them to talk. It won't hurt anybody. So in answer to the question no we shouldn't use torture, but if we have to we use mental torture not physical.


That's even more traumatic than any form of physical torture.

You do know what constitutes a "mental torture," right?


yes I do and yesterday I herd someone talking about it and decided againts the whole thing.
1307 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 3/26/08
I Don't Oppose It because its the only on getting information form them and its not our fault that their terrorists. And the CIA has the right to do so...
533 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / Singapore
Offline
Posted 3/26/08
i think mental torture is a lot worse
Scientist Moderator
digs 
48106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/26/08

AngelzAndDeath wrote:

I Don't Oppose It because its the only on getting information form them and its not our fault that their terrorists. And the CIA has the right to do so...


I agree. Terrorists deserve NO rights.
1337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / East Coast
Offline
Posted 3/26/08

AngelzAndDeath wrote:

I Don't Oppose It because its the only on getting information form them and its not our fault that their terrorists. And the CIA has the right to do so...


You have to understand, these are interrogation methods, not punishment methods. This is the stuff they use when they THINK that someone is a terrorist or involved in something they don't like. It isn't allowed by the US constitution, but because it takes place only on US territory outside of the US, it's allowed.

Besides, do you know what can constitute a "terrorist?"
Someone promoting socialism or trying to incite a protest against the gov't might be named a terrorist.

Anyways, the majority of what's done is done on suspicion alone. And its' disgusting what's done. But it's ok right? because as we definitely know by all the weapons of mass destruction found in Iraq that the CIA is ALWAYS right!
Posted 3/26/08
All I can I say is that there is a fine line in which people use interrogation methods to get info out of suspects and just plain torture. And USA has crossed that line and is going farther it. Besides I bet Bush is still pretty paranoid about terrorists since the 9/11 incident. No matter what, terrorists are human, they deserve the same rights as everyone else in America. CIA interrogates people that they suspect are terrorists, so what happens if they aren't? Those torture methods then is going to haunt the innocent person forever. Have you ever heard of this childish saying? "You want to be treated nicely, you have to treat others the same way." The same with the US. Do you want to make an enemy of another country by doing stuff like that to someone that can get you back? We are humans. So we should all do humane things. Not subject someone you think is a terrorist to things you shouldn't even do to animals.
1337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / East Coast
Offline
Posted 3/26/08 , edited 4/18/08

magnus102 wrote:


Tagi-chan wrote:


AngelzAndDeath wrote:

I Don't Oppose It because its the only on getting information form them and its not our fault that their terrorists. And the CIA has the right to do so...


You have to understand, these are interrogation methods, not punishment methods. This is the stuff they use when they THINK that someone is a terrorist or involved in something they don't like. It isn't allowed by the US constitution, but because it takes place only on US territory outside of the US, it's allowed.

Besides, do you know what can constitute a "terrorist?"
Someone promoting socialism or trying to incite a protest against the gov't might be named a terrorist.

Anyways, the majority of what's done is done on suspicion alone. And its' disgusting what's done. But it's ok right? because as we definitely know by all the weapons of mass destruction found in Iraq that the CIA is ALWAYS right!

Your point is as almost as well put as it is irrelevant. The CIA will do whatever it wants. If they want to torture people they will regardless of the law. I am quite certain they kill people as well.


as sad as it is you are right in your statements. I still think the fact that Bush openly vetoed a bill trying to gain some control is ridiculous. We look like even bigger assholes now than we did before
70633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 3/26/08 , edited 4/18/08
Torture is notoriously unreliable. People will admit to anything to make it stop. It's no good for getting information, it's just a sadistic way to scare people.

I'm just glad that it's illegal in Europe.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.