First  Prev  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  98  99  100  101  102  Next  Last
Suicide
31425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Online
Posted 11/30/12

nameherenow wrote:


lordseth23 wrote:


nameherenow wrote:


lordseth23 wrote:

Why do you people think that suicide is selfish?

If ANYONE is selfish when it comes to suicide, it is the people that do not want to see a person commit suicide.

Why would you ever assume that everybody's depression can be cured? It is rather disgusting how ignorant you people are about this topic.

So you are telling me that you basically have the mental capacity of a deity and know every single little detail about the lives of everyone who wants to die and are saying that every reason for them to commit suicide can be overcome by self-perseverance and optimistic thinking? Give me a break. You have no clue what the world is like for other people, so the best thing you can do is to just let them be and give them the freedom to choose what they want to do with their lives. If you do not agree, then you are simply a selfish and heartless person.

If you knew that there was no chance at accomplishing your goals, would you put any effort into accomplishing them? It is just wasted time and effort if you do, which is why suicide is a viable option for some lives.

So go ahead, try to convince people to not commit suicide. You are just making them suffer more while catering to the selfish desires of their friends, family, and society as a whole. It is bad enough that there aren't any legal and efficient suicide methods available to the public, but to thrust yourself upon these poor, innocent people with your blatant ignorance is the worst possible thing you could ever do.

I want to commit suicide because there is nothing for me here, on this planet, in this life. You can call me mentally ill all you want, have me talk to as many people as you want, have me take as many pills as you want, but it will NEVER change my thinking. I am the only one who has ever lived my life, so I am the only one who can properly determine what the future holds for me. Don't talk to me about my future, you don't know anything about me, so f--- off. You are just being selfish if you want me to live another second in the miserable life that I have.


Of course it's selfish. After all it's a personal choice that is all about you, your pain, your suffering, your world, your life, your rights, your future,what's best and easiest for you, regardless of what others might feel, want or think.

The fact that no one can see into the future and no one can truly predict what will happen or know exactly what goes on in someone else's life or even what influences them is probably why there isn't much support for suicide. Who wants to support or sponsor a final and irreversible solution to a problem they know nothing about?


The selfishness of choosing what to do with one's own life pales in comparison to the selfishness of people who only want a person to live in order to benefit themselves. Therefore, it should not be considered selfish.

So you are telling me I have to suffer my entire life just because society doesn't want me to die? Interesting.

What is the difference between this and slavery?

Just because my future is not 100% certain does not mean you should be able to take away my freedom.


Whether one selfishness is worse than the other depends on which side you're looking at it from. How does it pale in comparison? Are you assuming that the choices you make about your life affects you only or does it not matter how it affects others? The focus shouldn't just be on one person and how they feel, ignoring the wider effect it has on other people and on society as a whole. Your choice to die, other people have to live with it and cope and there's an unfairness in that you don't have to face up to that or deal with the consequences of that.

Who is saying you have to suffer your entire life and what kind of gifted fortune teller must they be to be so certain that it is exactly what will happen merely as a result of you being alive? The opportunity for a life you're happy with, a life of freedom, without pain and suffering can only exist if you're alive first. Anyone who holds that kind of hope for you isn't then going to support a decision that takes that opportunity away.

I don't see how it compares to slavery at all. Would it have been alright then if someone had distributed suicide pills to all the slaves and said "if you want freedom you can die." After all you seem to suggest that living is in itself a form of slavery and death is the only path to freedom and therefore anyone who disagrees is a selfish supporter of slavery.

Death doesn't give, it takes. All those rights, freedom, choices you have now, that all ends when you die. People are never completely free but any freedom they may have, death will most certainly take away. So no I don't believe anyone is taking any freedom from you that death won't take away anyway.


I assure you, the pain of having to live for one person can be much greater then the collective grief of the death of someone. Yes, people are sad at the initial death of someone, but time is able to heal those wounds and everyone eventually continues with their normal lives. A person like me, however, feels much more pain on any given day than all of those people combined would ever feel about someone dying. So couple that with the fact that I have to live for thousands of more days, and the magnitude of my pain overwhelmingly exceeds the collective grief that may be felt about my death.

It is my choice to suffer because that is how I want to live my life, if i must live at all. I will never be happy with my life, so anyone who wants me to live a life like that is doing me a great disservice, and again they are being selfish and are not taking into consideration what I want.

It is absolutely a form of slavery because I do not own my life in this circumstance. I must live for the sake of others, even if I do not want to live at all.

I would gladly give any rights, freedom, choices that I currently have for the opportunity to die. If you are continuing to view freedom in such a narrow-minded manner like this, then let me take back what I said about wanting freedom. I simply do not want to exist anymore because my birth was a mistake. The creation of my being was a folly, so to destroy it once and for all would make the world a better place.
121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F
Offline
Posted 11/30/12 , edited 11/30/12
[


and yet people live for others all the time and make sacrifices to make others happy. You belittle and downplay the pain of others as if you are some kind of special person whose pain should matter more. Don't complain if others see that as utter selfishness. You have no problem with others having to live thousands of days with their pain because hey how could that ever measure up to yours? Just like you say no one can ever understand you and your pain so don't pretend that you can understand others and theirs. Shaping things in a way that makes YOU the only consideration is what others see as SELFISH.

Opportunities to die are everywhere, as a person who has seen people die, I can tell you dying is easy and happens all the time but it seems you would never grab such an opportunity unless you were certain there would only be consequences for others and none for yourself.

No one owns their life completely, otherwise we'd all be free to live however we want, for however long we want. Death doesn't give you ownership of life, it ensures you loose it and who decides who's birth is a mistake and who should and shouldn't exist?
31425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Online
Posted 11/30/12

nameherenow wrote:

and yet people live for others all the time and make sacrifices to make others happy. You belittle and downplay the pain of others as if you are some kind of special person whose pain should matter more. Don't complain if others see that as utter selfishness. You have no problem with others having to live thousands of days with their pain because hey how could that ever measure up to yours? Just like you say no one can ever understand you and your pain so don't pretend that you can understand others and theirs. Shaping things in a way that makes YOU the only consideration is what others see as SELFISH.

Opportunities to die are everywhere, as a person who has seen people die, I can tell you dying is easy and happens all the time but it seems you would never grab such an opportunity unless you were certain there would only be consequences for others and none for yourself.

No one owns their life completely, otherwise we'd all be free to live however we want, for however long we want. Death doesn't give you ownership of life, it ensures you loose it and who decides who's birth is a mistake and who should and shouldn't exist?


I never said my pain matters more. I am strictly speaking about quantity, not quality. It definitely does not matter more, in fact it matters much less than that of many others who have better lives than me. If a particular person happens to have the same amount of pain as I do, then they should be allowed to die as well.

Yes, opportunities do exist, but they are not worth the risk because they do not guarantee fatality.

I would gladly lose ownership of my life for the chance to not exist.
Posted 11/30/12
though i strongly don't encourage suicide, I am curious for those who are considering it, would you just do it? or would you also plan out your full funeral such as where it will be held, special ceremonies, etc?
31425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Online
Posted 11/30/12

JListCharlie wrote:

though i strongly don't encourage suicide, I am curious for those who are considering it, would you just do it? or would you also plan out your full funeral such as where it will be held, special ceremonies, etc?


I would just do it, without any thought of what may come next.
Banned
31571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 11/30/12
It's your choice to kill your body, but I find that a total waste.
31425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Online
Posted 11/30/12

-Vega- wrote:

It's your choice to kill your body, but I find that a total waste.


If it is my choice, then why isn't there any publicly available means of doing so?
Banned
31571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 11/30/12

lordseth23 wrote:


-Vega- wrote:

It's your choice to kill your body, but I find that a total waste.


If it is my choice, then why isn't there any publicly available means of doing so?


I don't know. LOL. What do you mean by publicly available means? Are you talking something like the suicide booths in Futurama?

19956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Oslo
Offline
Posted 11/30/12
The thing is is that a lot of people don't exactly understand how depression works and what it does to your mind.
If you're depressed, you're most likely not going to consider how selfish it is of you to end your life when there will be others who will be pained by it, or why exactly you you've come to such an extreme of even considering suicide at all.

I mean, of course it makes sense to the depressed person, but things also make sense to those who are extremely mentally deranged right? (Not saying depression is for those who are extremely mentally deranged.)

Personally, I was quite depressed once and everything just seemed too much to carry on. My family situation isn't great, I didn't have a lot of friends, I go to a really stressful school, and eventually the only solution I had to end this was to simply put myself to sleep. So, I took a lot of sleeping pills, but before I could do any real damage I was too drugged out of my mind to do anything.

Simply put, my parents figured it out and drove me to the hospital, where they gave me treatment for about two days and I spent the rest of the week in a mental hospital.

Ironically, my best friend went through the same thing and went to the exact same hospital. So we joke about the horrible food and wacky people. It's kind of nice to have someone who understands exactly what you went through, even though she had to go through a lot of pain and sacrifice to be able to do so : (
Posted 11/30/12

lordseth23 wrote:


JListCharlie wrote:

though i strongly don't encourage suicide, I am curious for those who are considering it, would you just do it? or would you also plan out your full funeral such as where it will be held, special ceremonies, etc?


I would just do it, without any thought of what may come next.



I would think it would totally suck for the family to deal with a sudden death and not knowing how to give the person a proper funeral. For example if I die I want my ashes shot off in fireworks and for my closes friends to be there to watch it, just want my last requests done, wouldn't you?

But I guess I can see some people who want to commit suicide probably dont care on how they are burried, who's gonna push the cremate button, what choice of song at funeral, etc.

I use to be a crematorium driver and saw so much death, i think it would be wise to just get a last request planned ahead before just doing it, its something a suicide letter wouldnt be enough for. If i was to commit suicide, my word I would do so so soooooo much at my funeral
31425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Online
Posted 12/1/12

-Vega- wrote:


lordseth23 wrote:


-Vega- wrote:

It's your choice to kill your body, but I find that a total waste.


If it is my choice, then why isn't there any publicly available means of doing so?


I don't know. LOL. What do you mean by publicly available means? Are you talking something like the suicide booths in Futurama?



Sure, that is one possibility.
31425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Online
Posted 12/1/12

JListCharlie wrote:


lordseth23 wrote:


JListCharlie wrote:

though i strongly don't encourage suicide, I am curious for those who are considering it, would you just do it? or would you also plan out your full funeral such as where it will be held, special ceremonies, etc?


I would just do it, without any thought of what may come next.



I would think it would totally suck for the family to deal with a sudden death and not knowing how to give the person a proper funeral. For example if I die I want my ashes shot off in fireworks and for my closes friends to be there to watch it, just want my last requests done, wouldn't you?

But I guess I can see some people who want to commit suicide probably dont care on how they are burried, who's gonna push the cremate button, what choice of song at funeral, etc.

I use to be a crematorium driver and saw so much death, i think it would be wise to just get a last request planned ahead before just doing it, its something a suicide letter wouldnt be enough for. If i was to commit suicide, my word I would do so so soooooo much at my funeral


I really do not deserve a funeral or all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it, so I would not request anything like what you just mentioned.
10616 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Portland, Oregon
Offline
Posted 12/1/12
I can't say whether it's wrong or right, after all, that's all based on perception. What I can say is, it's sad to see people cut their lives so short. Life is full of changes and full of opportunities. Full of people you could have met, and things you could have experienced that you never gave yourself the chance to see. I think it's important we persevere through the hard times, because once we're through them we'll be that much tougher. And that's only human.
I didn't necessarily feel this topic was appropriate for the forums and wasn't going to post. But, for the people that are going through a rough time, remember yesterday can never change. But tomorrow is completely unknown. Persevere and look towards your goals, and you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.
31425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Online
Posted 12/1/12

blackdahlia90 wrote:

I can't say whether it's wrong or right, after all, that's all based on perception. What I can say is, it's sad to see people cut their lives so short. Life is full of changes and full of opportunities. Full of people you could have met, and things you could have experienced that you never gave yourself the chance to see. I think it's important we persevere through the hard times, because once we're through them we'll be that much tougher. And that's only human.
I didn't necessarily feel this topic was appropriate for the forums and wasn't going to post. But, for the people that are going through a rough time, remember yesterday can never change. But tomorrow is completely unknown. Persevere and look towards your goals, and you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.


Why should I care about people I could have met or things I could have experienced? There is no guarantee that they will provide happiness to me or meaning to my life. There is no point in persevering and making goals if they do not lead to happiness.
10616 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Portland, Oregon
Offline
Posted 12/1/12

lordseth23 wrote:


blackdahlia90 wrote:

I can't say whether it's wrong or right, after all, that's all based on perception. What I can say is, it's sad to see people cut their lives so short. Life is full of changes and full of opportunities. Full of people you could have met, and things you could have experienced that you never gave yourself the chance to see. I think it's important we persevere through the hard times, because once we're through them we'll be that much tougher. And that's only human.
I didn't necessarily feel this topic was appropriate for the forums and wasn't going to post. But, for the people that are going through a rough time, remember yesterday can never change. But tomorrow is completely unknown. Persevere and look towards your goals, and you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.


Why should I care about people I could have met or things I could have experienced? There is no guarantee that they will provide happiness to me or meaning to my life. There is no point in persevering and making goals if they do not lead to happiness.


There's also no guarantee they won't. It's better to know what could have been, than condemning yourself in this hopelessness. There's a huge world out there, and it's about finding things that truly make you happy. I am confident they are out there for you.
First  Prev  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  98  99  100  101  102  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.