First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Major Disappointments
8138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 8/14/07 , edited 8/14/07
Well I couldn't find a topic like this, so

What were some major disappointments in your life?
What effect did it have on you?
Were you bitter about it?
Are you still bitter about it?

My inspiration for this thread came as recently as this week, I spent most of last week preparing for the Marine corps, signing a crap load of papers, traveling around with my recruiter (who was a very cool guy), and securing documents, having to go through the highly uncomfortable task of asking my family members, which one would want to be the one to choose where I'm to be buried in the event, that I die in combat,

I was more then physically prepared to become a Marine infantryman, I trained my body for years to become the highly effective weapon it is now

I was more then academically prepared for the corps, I had one of the highest scores possible on my Enlistment exams, and was qualified for every MOS (military occupatin specialty), my recruiter told me my brain behind a weapon on the battlefield would be dangerous (in the good way)

I was even prepared to kill or be killed in the service of my country

But one thing screwed me over before I could get processed, because my albinism, makes my eyes sensitive to extreme sunlight, doctors felt I wouldn't be effective or safe when shooting on the range, so now I'm destined (cursed) to walk the Earth as a freakin, lowly civilian, and hang around a bunch of lame cowards, who have ALL the qualifaications, to be Marines, but are too cowardly to do so, while I, who was Gung ho about it, can't do so because of one little genetic defect, The bitterness will never leave me for as long as I live

Posted 8/14/07
I think this thread may be a little like this one...

Disappointments
http://www.crunchyroll.com/showforumtopic?id=1088

To answer your question though...

One of my major disappointments was when I got rejected from Oxford. I got invited for an interview which went horrifically bad and I got my rejection letter a few days before Christmas.

Effect? Well I felt like I was a complete failure. Even just going there I felt really really stupid compared to all the other intelligent and talented people who were there. Just talking to people there made me feel really small.
The people were all nice enough but you could tell they thought themselves as being superior to other people and I hated that because it worked - it did make me feel inferior.

I was bitter about it when I found out that two people in my year got into Oxford but now I realise that I would never have enjoyed studying there - constantly comparing myself to the other students, feeling really stupid etc. And I wouldn't have got a good experience out of it.
So the rejection was a good thing.
Posted 8/14/07
^^Yeah, that's sad. i mean you did a heckova lot of stuff to get ready for that but you can' even do it now because of something you can't help =[

^Don't worry =D You can get into som better college then rub it in their faces >=P
(noo...this is a MAJOR disapointment haha)

Hm...a major disapointment? I really can't bitch right now. Well, I am disapointed in Comcast >.< that guy didn't even install the box right so we got maybe...10% of the channels we were supposed to get {grr...}
8138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 8/14/07
^^But these are major ones, those were mostly minor
Posted 8/14/07
^ Well it really depends on what you think is major and minor doesn't it?

Going to a good uni means everything to me because my career path is really important. I'm hugely ambitious and Oxford would have given me the opportunity that I needed to get onto that career playing field.

For a while it really harmed my self esteem and confidence and that to me is not minor because it affected my learning.
A lot of people just give up once they learn they were rejected from Oxbridge.

I'm sorry if that isn't major enough for you but I can't think of anything more right now.
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 8/14/07
….Man, I really get tired of hearing about the killer one man army albino weapon….

Anyway, I don’t appreciate being called a lowlife coward. Well, whatever.

Disappointments? Well, I’ve lived without any major disappointments thus far. Probably because I’ve been a pessimist until recently. Never really expected anything to work out. In fact, my life’s come out better than I could have ever asked. I’m completely happy with it.
8138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 8/14/07

SeraphAlford wrote:

….Man, I really get tired of hearing about the killer one man army albino weapon….

Anyway, I don’t appreciate being called a lowlife coward. Well, whatever.

Disappointments? Well, I’ve lived without any major disappointments thus far. Probably because I’ve been a pessimist until recently. Never really expected anything to work out. In fact, my life’s come out better than I could have ever asked. I’m completely happy with it.


I've never mentioned those 2 things in the same post, and those are the only things I'm known for

And that's how most Marines view civilians
Posted 8/14/07
Hmm, dont really have major disappointments.
Sorry cant entertain you guys
42552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/14/07
what does this thread mean?
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 8/14/07

abel89 wrote:


SeraphAlford wrote:

….Man, I really get tired of hearing about the killer one man army albino weapon….

Anyway, I don’t appreciate being called a lowlife coward. Well, whatever.

Disappointments? Well, I’ve lived without any major disappointments thus far. Probably because I’ve been a pessimist until recently. Never really expected anything to work out. In fact, my life’s come out better than I could have ever asked. I’m completely happy with it.


I've never mentioned those 2 things in the same post, and those are the only things I'm known for

And that's how most Marines view civilians

So you say. Personally, I think you’re full of it. Whatever. Don’t plan to argue with you.
8138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 8/14/07
^Well that's how I view civilians
Marines just think the coward part
Posted 8/14/07
I regret leaving England... because I left my gf behind....

i heard from a friend she went through severe depression after I stayed in California.

10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 8/14/07

abel89 wrote:

^Well that's how I view civilians
Marines just think the coward part


Marines are just normal people. You watch too many movies.
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 8/14/07
Double post, srry.
8138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 8/14/07

SeraphAlford wrote:


abel89 wrote:

^Well that's how I view civilians
Marines just think the coward part


Marines are just normal people. You watch too many movies.


My father was a marine, they are above the rest
if a person never served before, in my eyes, they don't merit respect from me
I tried at least, and I will always look down on those who didn't bother to
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.