First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Fascination over 300!!!
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08
I LOVED it even though it was way off on the history.
For example the Spartan Council was made up of older men
and the outfits they wore in the movie were no where close to traditional Spartan atire.
But it was amazing none the less, the hot guys rocked.
lol
6119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Tulsa..A boring p...
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08
ive been seeing A LOT of parodies of it lately
1836 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / ohio
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08
eventhough it was historically inaccurate it was a good movie and stimulated intrest in the subject... amd the homosexuality thing was common but not at all universal . the thing that pissed me offthe most was not the rampant historical innacuracies but what the oracle said .... historically the oracle said something to the effect that a spartan king must die or sparta will burn ... this would have been enetertaining, accurate and cooler
190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08

angelseraphim wrote:

I consider the movie slightly racist. It places Persians in a discriminatory light. I'm sure you're all aware at the discrimination Muslims faced and still face after 9/11. This proliferates hatred towards Muslims in a indirect manner. If I may further go deeper into my analysis. Sparta is a militaristic country much like America. Sparta emphasizes much patriotism and pride of the soldier as Americans do during times of peace and times of war. Now in the movie, Spartans are threatened by Xerxes and the Persian army. The Persian emissary demanded that Sparta surrender to the Persian Empire or face death. This is similar to Alqueda's threats to the Western World (America mainly) that it should surrender to Islam or face death. Like the Spartans, Americans refused to surrender. As we have seen in the movie the Spartans brought the fight to the Persians. This is very similar to how America went to places like Iraq to fight for their "freedom." Fighting for freedom was a theme that was brought up consistently throughout the movie as well. If I may skip the gory fight scenes and the boorish speeches of a warrior's honor and other nonsense I would like to bring up the end of the movie. As you are all aware the movie is a bit inconclusive. The Spartan King disgraces Xerxes and the Spartan soldiers are devastated. And the movie states that the war for freedom continued on. and people will remember those 300 that gave their lives for freedom. This is quite similar with America's war in the Middle East. There is no end in sight. There will be no conclusion to this war for a long time. Its a beautiful final speech at the end of the movie I must say. So there are my two cents regarding the movie. But there are several things I would like to point out. This war America is in is not about Freedom or Honor. This war is about several selfish things that I will not mention for fear of persecution by Americans. Bottom line, with all the liars and hypocrites running this world, war is not what it used to be. Also people should not be discriminated because there kinsmen or countrymen behave poorly. I must also state that America will never attain the true glory of Sparta.


Who cares? First of all, Spartans were Greek and Persia tended to be sided towards Muslim/Arabs. It doesn't matter what kind of "message" this movie sent out since it was meant to be viewed like Transformers. Sure, you can bitch about how it really has no plot or it has cheesy lines, but at the end of the day, the fight scenes and the giant robot battles made it all worth those few dollars.

You claim that this all had to do with America when this entire situation had some historical basis. The only difference was that all of Greece eventually stood up against Xerxes, then later on, Alexander the Great pretty much raped the Persians. This movie was made for guys. Kick ass scenes, crazy screams, and a half-naked chick who dances for no reason.

Also, the Spartans never "brought the fight" to the Persians. The Persians were invading in giant numbers and that point was the most beneficial point that Sparta could choose to defend. It's better to force your enemies into a small pass that's impossible to climb than to face them on a giant field where you're heavily outnumbed.

"Blah, blah, blah, America sucks! I like politics!" Who cares? Seriously. If you hate America, to each their own. We're talking about a movie, not politics. You fail at life.

In other news: Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!
2156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08


gotta love that picture. the movie is alright, thought i wish they would have made the setting a bit more wide, 300 men vs an army fighting in a cliff makes em not look like their as good as they are, watching 300 men surrounded by an army and still be able to fight equally makes em look like gods
6509 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08

DTSX wrote:


angelseraphim wrote:

I consider the movie slightly racist. It places Persians in a discriminatory light. I'm sure you're all aware at the discrimination Muslims faced and still face after 9/11. This proliferates hatred towards Muslims in a indirect manner. If I may further go deeper into my analysis. Sparta is a militaristic country much like America. Sparta emphasizes much patriotism and pride of the soldier as Americans do during times of peace and times of war. Now in the movie, Spartans are threatened by Xerxes and the Persian army. The Persian emissary demanded that Sparta surrender to the Persian Empire or face death. This is similar to Alqueda's threats to the Western World (America mainly) that it should surrender to Islam or face death. Like the Spartans, Americans refused to surrender. As we have seen in the movie the Spartans brought the fight to the Persians. This is very similar to how America went to places like Iraq to fight for their "freedom." Fighting for freedom was a theme that was brought up consistently throughout the movie as well. If I may skip the gory fight scenes and the boorish speeches of a warrior's honor and other nonsense I would like to bring up the end of the movie. As you are all aware the movie is a bit inconclusive. The Spartan King disgraces Xerxes and the Spartan soldiers are devastated. And the movie states that the war for freedom continued on. and people will remember those 300 that gave their lives for freedom. This is quite similar with America's war in the Middle East. There is no end in sight. There will be no conclusion to this war for a long time. Its a beautiful final speech at the end of the movie I must say. So there are my two cents regarding the movie. But there are several things I would like to point out. This war America is in is not about Freedom or Honor. This war is about several selfish things that I will not mention for fear of persecution by Americans. Bottom line, with all the liars and hypocrites running this world, war is not what it used to be. Also people should not be discriminated because there kinsmen or countrymen behave poorly. I must also state that America will never attain the true glory of Sparta.


Who cares? First of all, Spartans were Greek and Persia tended to be sided towards Muslim/Arabs. It doesn't matter what kind of "message" this movie sent out since it was meant to be viewed like Transformers. Sure, you can bitch about how it really has no plot or it has cheesy lines, but at the end of the day, the fight scenes and the giant robot battles made it all worth those few dollars.

You claim that this all had to do with America when this entire situation had some historical basis. The only difference was that all of Greece eventually stood up against Xerxes, then later on, Alexander the Great pretty much raped the Persians. This movie was made for guys. Kick ass scenes, crazy screams, and a half-naked chick who dances for no reason.

Also, the Spartans never "brought the fight" to the Persians. The Persians were invading in giant numbers and that point was the most beneficial point that Sparta could choose to defend. It's better to force your enemies into a small pass that's impossible to climb than to face them on a giant field where you're heavily outnumbed.

"Blah, blah, blah, America sucks! I like politics!" Who cares? Seriously. If you hate America, to each their own. We're talking about a movie, not politics. You fail at life.

In other news: Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!


I was just mentioning the similarities within the movie and the current political situation in the world. Its nice that you brought up several important historical facts. However, 300 is fictional. I was only drawing examples from the movie not history. Many movies have political references. I'm sorry you're so blind. And to produce a movie during this tense time, one cannot help but to see similarities.
13092 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08
man 300 was a great movie
190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08

angelseraphim wrote:


DTSX wrote:


angelseraphim wrote:

I consider the movie slightly racist. It places Persians in a discriminatory light. I'm sure you're all aware at the discrimination Muslims faced and still face after 9/11. This proliferates hatred towards Muslims in a indirect manner. If I may further go deeper into my analysis. Sparta is a militaristic country much like America. Sparta emphasizes much patriotism and pride of the soldier as Americans do during times of peace and times of war. Now in the movie, Spartans are threatened by Xerxes and the Persian army. The Persian emissary demanded that Sparta surrender to the Persian Empire or face death. This is similar to Alqueda's threats to the Western World (America mainly) that it should surrender to Islam or face death. Like the Spartans, Americans refused to surrender. As we have seen in the movie the Spartans brought the fight to the Persians. This is very similar to how America went to places like Iraq to fight for their "freedom." Fighting for freedom was a theme that was brought up consistently throughout the movie as well. If I may skip the gory fight scenes and the boorish speeches of a warrior's honor and other nonsense I would like to bring up the end of the movie. As you are all aware the movie is a bit inconclusive. The Spartan King disgraces Xerxes and the Spartan soldiers are devastated. And the movie states that the war for freedom continued on. and people will remember those 300 that gave their lives for freedom. This is quite similar with America's war in the Middle East. There is no end in sight. There will be no conclusion to this war for a long time. Its a beautiful final speech at the end of the movie I must say. So there are my two cents regarding the movie. But there are several things I would like to point out. This war America is in is not about Freedom or Honor. This war is about several selfish things that I will not mention for fear of persecution by Americans. Bottom line, with all the liars and hypocrites running this world, war is not what it used to be. Also people should not be discriminated because there kinsmen or countrymen behave poorly. I must also state that America will never attain the true glory of Sparta.


Who cares? First of all, Spartans were Greek and Persia tended to be sided towards Muslim/Arabs. It doesn't matter what kind of "message" this movie sent out since it was meant to be viewed like Transformers. Sure, you can bitch about how it really has no plot or it has cheesy lines, but at the end of the day, the fight scenes and the giant robot battles made it all worth those few dollars.

You claim that this all had to do with America when this entire situation had some historical basis. The only difference was that all of Greece eventually stood up against Xerxes, then later on, Alexander the Great pretty much raped the Persians. This movie was made for guys. Kick ass scenes, crazy screams, and a half-naked chick who dances for no reason.

Also, the Spartans never "brought the fight" to the Persians. The Persians were invading in giant numbers and that point was the most beneficial point that Sparta could choose to defend. It's better to force your enemies into a small pass that's impossible to climb than to face them on a giant field where you're heavily outnumbed.

"Blah, blah, blah, America sucks! I like politics!" Who cares? Seriously. If you hate America, to each their own. We're talking about a movie, not politics. You fail at life.

In other news: Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!


I was just mentioning the similarities within the movie and the current political situation in the world. Its nice that you brought up several important historical facts. However, 300 is fictional. I was only drawing examples from the movie not history. Many movies have political references. I'm sorry you're so blind. And to produce a movie during this tense time, one cannot help but to see similarities.


I never said I didn't. I said it doesn't matter. It's a movie to watch killing and gore. All the stuff in between is just filler. No one really gives a damn about politics.
1704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M / Black Hole
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08
for those people saying that the movie is inaccurate, haven't you read the graphic novel? the movie is just based from the graphic novel of the same title. and the graphic novel is based from the famous "Battle of Thermopylae". Frank Miller did not intend to accurately base the story from that historical event. It's a comic book, for God's sake.
6509 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08

DTSX wrote:


angelseraphim wrote:


DTSX wrote:


angelseraphim wrote:

I consider the movie slightly racist. It places Persians in a discriminatory light. I'm sure you're all aware at the discrimination Muslims faced and still face after 9/11. This proliferates hatred towards Muslims in a indirect manner. If I may further go deeper into my analysis. Sparta is a militaristic country much like America. Sparta emphasizes much patriotism and pride of the soldier as Americans do during times of peace and times of war. Now in the movie, Spartans are threatened by Xerxes and the Persian army. The Persian emissary demanded that Sparta surrender to the Persian Empire or face death. This is similar to Alqueda's threats to the Western World (America mainly) that it should surrender to Islam or face death. Like the Spartans, Americans refused to surrender. As we have seen in the movie the Spartans brought the fight to the Persians. This is very similar to how America went to places like Iraq to fight for their "freedom." Fighting for freedom was a theme that was brought up consistently throughout the movie as well. If I may skip the gory fight scenes and the boorish speeches of a warrior's honor and other nonsense I would like to bring up the end of the movie. As you are all aware the movie is a bit inconclusive. The Spartan King disgraces Xerxes and the Spartan soldiers are devastated. And the movie states that the war for freedom continued on. and people will remember those 300 that gave their lives for freedom. This is quite similar with America's war in the Middle East. There is no end in sight. There will be no conclusion to this war for a long time. Its a beautiful final speech at the end of the movie I must say. So there are my two cents regarding the movie. But there are several things I would like to point out. This war America is in is not about Freedom or Honor. This war is about several selfish things that I will not mention for fear of persecution by Americans. Bottom line, with all the liars and hypocrites running this world, war is not what it used to be. Also people should not be discriminated because there kinsmen or countrymen behave poorly. I must also state that America will never attain the true glory of Sparta.


Who cares? First of all, Spartans were Greek and Persia tended to be sided towards Muslim/Arabs. It doesn't matter what kind of "message" this movie sent out since it was meant to be viewed like Transformers. Sure, you can bitch about how it really has no plot or it has cheesy lines, but at the end of the day, the fight scenes and the giant robot battles made it all worth those few dollars.

You claim that this all had to do with America when this entire situation had some historical basis. The only difference was that all of Greece eventually stood up against Xerxes, then later on, Alexander the Great pretty much raped the Persians. This movie was made for guys. Kick ass scenes, crazy screams, and a half-naked chick who dances for no reason.

Also, the Spartans never "brought the fight" to the Persians. The Persians were invading in giant numbers and that point was the most beneficial point that Sparta could choose to defend. It's better to force your enemies into a small pass that's impossible to climb than to face them on a giant field where you're heavily outnumbed.

"Blah, blah, blah, America sucks! I like politics!" Who cares? Seriously. If you hate America, to each their own. We're talking about a movie, not politics. You fail at life.

In other news: Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!


I was just mentioning the similarities within the movie and the current political situation in the world. Its nice that you brought up several important historical facts. However, 300 is fictional. I was only drawing examples from the movie not history. Many movies have political references. I'm sorry you're so blind. And to produce a movie during this tense time, one cannot help but to see similarities.


I never said I didn't. I said it doesn't matter. It's a movie to watch killing and gore. All the stuff in between is just filler. No one really gives a damn about politics.


There is more to the world then what you see in front of you.
3769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08

valdaros wrote:

for those people saying that the movie is inaccurate, haven't you read the graphic novel? the movie is just based from the graphic novel of the same title. and the graphic novel is based from the famous "Battle of Thermopylae". Frank Miller did not intend to accurately base the story from that historical event. It's a comic book, for God's sake.



THIS IS MADNESSS! :O



SPARTA R SRS BZNS!!?@!?@?!!
2212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / back in cr
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08

angelseraphim wrote:


dj_catmix wrote:

It seems that now more than ever today people has drawn a fascination over the legendary Spartans, and to show their admiration they run around yelling this is Sparta and kicking people down some stairs(this happened at my school a while ago). although kick as by nature ninjas and pushing elephants were probably not in the original battle and Leonidas was not the last to die, but he dies and the remaining 300 are there fighting over his corpse. Although the movie is horribly incorrect and does not portray the real 300 which was an elite group of homosexuals, it is by its nature "kickass" and "plenty of awesome". Although it is sublime in action I could not help to think that trying to imitate scenes from the play to be a tad bit ridiculous, the only benefits to this is that people now know you are an indecisive hick who very nature is arbitrarily ruled by your short attention span.
Also this is awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDEbZBXyiDI


They were bisexual not entirely homosexual.


oh yes i mean bi forgot about the whole having a son business, but like all little spartan boy they had a male partner.
4327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / the square
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08
this is madness!!!
THIS IS..SPPAAARTA!!!!!
^me and my friends cant stop saying that line xD
2964 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08
THIS. IS. SPARTAAAAAAAAAAA
2634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08
The movie was good because it was what it was supposed to be; an action packed badass movie.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.