First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Car Tech
3769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 3/16/08

lasthope05 wrote:

Harmonic dampeners are subjective but if what they say is true and they are unnecessary then why do all professional drivers all keep their harmonic dampeners whether it be aftermarket or factory. IT does have truth in. The safety feature it is far out weights the gains of a measly couple hp.

Engine lubrication is important to healthy engine life but i beg to differ that synthetics truly is a cure all. Its all about how you drive the car and the thermal breakdown of the oil. I personally change my oil every 2000 miles and I use only conventional oil. Synthetics are mostly used because its resistance to thermal breakdown is much higher allowing you to run longer between oil changes. I have never noticed much of a difference from switching to synthetics except during cold starts where they have the advantages of being much more consistent.

In my eyes there is no need to switch to synthetics with my oil change regimen.


True, but modern engineering has allowed synthetics to have better lubrication properties, and professional drivers keep their harmonic dampeners on because they are always in the top of their RPM range, and a high horsepower v8 at 8-9k RPM's all day could possibly be affected. Those are the most extreme conditions though, race car drivers drive their cars the hardest they can be driven, squeezing every ounce of performance out of them, sacrificing durability in the process. That is why in 24 hour endurance races, its not uncommon to have pull and repair the powertrain mid-race. Anyways, I'm not say its right either way, just stating both sides of the argument.
Posted 3/17/08
is it me or is greddy getting a lil to overpriced??
3929 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / My body lives in...
Offline
Posted 3/19/08
for speed weight and tech always go together
865 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Norfolk, VA
Offline
Posted 3/19/08

TheGoat wrote:

Whats the best engine out there?
Best Turbo?
Best headers?
......


*sigh* This post is as gay as your avi. j/k
1263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/19/08

240sx-mayn wrote:

is it me or is greddy getting a lil to overpriced??


greddy's always been over priced. ive never been a greddy fan though. i tend to stick with Tomei, HKS, JUN, and Apexi (love the exhausts). though, i like Trust parts (ya, i know Trust owns Greddy, but there's just something about Trust :ph34r:)
1108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/19/08
I've never really like the parts that trust/greddy made. Everything of theirs is always overhyped and you are paying mostly for the name.
850 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / california
Offline
Posted 3/19/08

memphit wrote:


AWDfreak wrote:

Most people cannot shift faster than those "automated manuals" or "clutchless manuals", unless you're an experienced race driver.

So, in the end, a driver CAN shift faster/better than a clutchless manual, as the clutch provides more control than an automated clutch.....


Not true. Cars like the Veyron, which run out 1st gear really fast, would be inefficient in a true manual. There are pro's and con's to each side, I guess for everyday cars some prefer manuals, but in racing applications I could see how cars with shorter gears, or higher power outputs could utilize them.




uhmm youd actually be suprised, watch top gear, i dont remember if they show first but first gear is a bit longer than youd expect compared to other cars





240sx-mayn wrote:

is it me or is greddy getting a lil to overpriced??



always been





lasthope05 wrote:

I've never really like the parts that trust/greddy made. Everything of theirs is always overhyped and you are paying mostly for the name.



ehhh even still there are better names than gredd/trust out there, like the person above you said tomei hks etc i have couple parts from them myself
388 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / a
Offline
Posted 12/11/08
yes they do
23 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/11/08

TheGoat wrote:


memphit wrote:


TheGoat wrote:


lasthope05 wrote:

All engines need a harmonic balancer. Doesnt matter now many cylinders there are. The ignition of the fuel mixture sends a shock to the crank and the crank releases the shock by vibrations. The harmonic balancer is there to dampen and relieve that stress away from the crank. Balancing does not mean it doesnt need a balancer. When you balance an engine you are weight matching the pistons, rods, and wrist pins so they are within 1 gram of each other. Then you would proceed to balance the crank with the new weight matched rods and pistons. Having a balanced engine only eliminates vibrations and stress from the rotating assembly. Having the engine balanced is fine but the torsional stress still remains there and it is not a changeable factor in the engine.


What about the Boxter engine? is that a longer lasting engine since it eliminates some stress and keeps the engine balanced with 2 cylinders running horizontal?


Harmonic balancers are purely subjective. Some people say they help, others say that unless you are revving in the higher ranges on a daily basis, you don't need them. Many enthusiasts remove them in order to lighten up the crank pulley and free up more power. While I won't comment on the endurance of an engine based solely on whether it has a harmonic balancer or not, I believe that there are MUCH more important factors in long lasting engines. The engine configuration may affect it minimally, at best, but engine oil is far more important in a long lasting engine.


yeah true. of course if someone wants there engine internals a big heap of metal shavings then put synthetic oil..

unless your car is super old , you are pretty much 100% wrong.
1809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34
Offline
Posted 12/12/08

theonenonlyjake wrote:


TheGoat wrote:


memphit wrote:


TheGoat wrote:


lasthope05 wrote:

All engines need a harmonic balancer. Doesnt matter now many cylinders there are. The ignition of the fuel mixture sends a shock to the crank and the crank releases the shock by vibrations. The harmonic balancer is there to dampen and relieve that stress away from the crank. Balancing does not mean it doesnt need a balancer. When you balance an engine you are weight matching the pistons, rods, and wrist pins so they are within 1 gram of each other. Then you would proceed to balance the crank with the new weight matched rods and pistons. Having a balanced engine only eliminates vibrations and stress from the rotating assembly. Having the engine balanced is fine but the torsional stress still remains there and it is not a changeable factor in the engine.


What about the Boxter engine? is that a longer lasting engine since it eliminates some stress and keeps the engine balanced with 2 cylinders running horizontal?


Harmonic balancers are purely subjective. Some people say they help, others say that unless you are revving in the higher ranges on a daily basis, you don't need them. Many enthusiasts remove them in order to lighten up the crank pulley and free up more power. While I won't comment on the endurance of an engine based solely on whether it has a harmonic balancer or not, I believe that there are MUCH more important factors in long lasting engines. The engine configuration may affect it minimally, at best, but engine oil is far more important in a long lasting engine.


yeah true. of course if someone wants there engine internals a big heap of metal shavings then put synthetic oil..

unless your car is super old , you are pretty much 100% wrong.



i 2nd what he said.

if your internals in your engine arnt balanced no ammount of oil in the world is gonna keep that engin from fragin itself.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.