First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
74% of you are forum idiots
219 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Men's Wearhouse
Offline
Posted 3/20/08

PedoBear wrote:
OptimusGatts just proved you guys are idiots. His goal was to troll and you guys took the bait, idiots.



Sorry Pedobear, I understand your instincts but there are no successful trolls on Cr. no one on the forum is internet savvy enough. I was an internet troll, but not a successful one that fooled people.. Maybe I'm just covering my ass though.
804 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Singapore (:
Offline
Posted 3/20/08
This is quite a silly thread, so maybe you should ask yourself that question first? I can understand how piqued you feel, but this is not unlike the negative threads you posted up. All I can get from your first post is that you are annoyed (to put it simply) that people do not ask and/or respond appropriately as per required of Extended Discussions and they are all "idiots". So you're just ranting on and on about how people are idiotic and post up examples.

Your attempt to invite discussion ended up futile and you just had silly replies (including this one!) to a thread which is anti-silly replies. How paradoxical.

As to "why people love being such idiots on the forums":
1. They are lazy to use their brains since a higher order of thinking is required in intelligible posts
2. By nature, they are "idiots" ie they have no brains or a peanut-sized one
3. They have actually not read the rules (I once reported a thread which is clearly not an ED and was prompted told by another person that the thread was fine and should not have been reported)
207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / the net
Offline
Posted 3/21/08
Well I've actually just skimmed through the first post, but received the message pretty loud and clear.
And I agree, to a certain degree.

Unfortunately, seeing as how I'm only a new member, I haven't been around to look at all the forum posts and topics to criticize and add to the list. Plus it really isn't my style or position to do so, but nonetheless see this...idiocy, as you put it. Frankly, I can't really stand discussions with no meaning or a lot of chat speak, really grates my nerves. Then there's the shortcuts of 'wat' or short forms, not all of us are MSN literates; sure, some chat speak is fine but not a whole paragraph of it! Or is this just my dislike of inappropriately written replies? I'm not sure, perhaps it's for the general as well.

Most people when asking the question "Who's your favourite character?" or "What do you think of..." usually just leave a one liner because the topic title itself is self-explanatory. Yes, we all know it is, but in-depth information is nice as well.
Now, I'm not saying I'm not like these people, which is totally untrue, but I've learned now. However, when it comes to serious discussions, most people try, either with facts or personal experiences, to reply with a more in-depth reply than their usual, even though it still may be inconsistent, they have tried nonetheless.

At this moment, I know what I've said doesn't really make sense, I know, and I apologize for it.
I'm not trying to put anyone down (I've been known to in real life) but this is just my opinion.
People should try to at least put more effort into posting, giving details and typing like a normal person (who doesn't user or understand chat speak) so that there are no usual one liners and such.
124 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / QC
Offline
Posted 3/21/08
none sense thread..

this thread should be closed.
819 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/21/08

ZeroxRei wrote:

Well I've actually just skimmed through the first post, but received the message pretty loud and clear.
And I agree, to a certain degree.

Unfortunately, seeing as how I'm only a new member, I haven't been around to look at all the forum posts and topics to criticize and add to the list. Plus it really isn't my style or position to do so, but nonetheless see this...idiocy, as you put it. Frankly, I can't really stand discussions with no meaning or a lot of chat speak, really grates my nerves. Then there's the shortcuts of 'wat' or short forms, not all of us are MSN literates; sure, some chat speak is fine but not a whole paragraph of it! Or is this just my dislike of inappropriately written replies? I'm not sure, perhaps it's for the general as well.

Most people when asking the question "Who's your favourite character?" or "What do you think of..." usually just leave a one liner because the topic title itself is self-explanatory. Yes, we all know it is, but in-depth information is nice as well.
Now, I'm not saying I'm not like these people, which is totally untrue, but I've learned now. However, when it comes to serious discussions, most people try, either with facts or personal experiences, to reply with a more in-depth reply than their usual, even though it still may be inconsistent, they have tried nonetheless.

At this moment, I know what I've said doesn't really make sense, I know, and I apologize for it.
I'm not trying to put anyone down (I've been known to in real life) but this is just my opinion.
People should try to at least put more effort into posting, giving details and typing like a normal person (who doesn't user or understand chat speak) so that there are no usual one liners and such.


I agree with what you say, but the topic starter here is not referring to people who post one-liners in the particular threads you mentioned, but in ones that take serious discussion, i.e Extended Discussion. The ones you mentioned have a lot more leeway in how much content one should include, and short, simple answers, though not necessarily encouraged, are permitted. Also, as long as what someone writes is legible enough to make sense to others, grammar and spelling isn't much of a problem. The people referred to are just those who don't contribute to the discussion, such as someone popping in to say "hm, yeah, I think so too," or perhaps "yeah, wait no. I dunno lolz." If you're going to discuss something, you should at least have some opinion of it, and at least attempt to back up your opinion.

The other people mentioned were thread starters who either were, as he put it, idiots because they failed to adhere to the rules, or because they didn't provide any substance to their thread. Then of course, there were the ones who were trying to be funny, whom I don't think are really fit to be called "idiots," although they could try to work on their maturity. There's a time and place for things.
549 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 3/21/08
I'm amazed by the amount of verbally abusive replies here. If anything ruins their image it's mouthing off as a defence; a number of people have given explanations as to why they think the TS is an idiot, but the majority of returning posters are just making attacks at him and ignoring the actual content of his posts.

I agree with the point raised and am stunned by the blunt or tactless way it was addressed for much of the post. (The repetitive use of 'idiot' as a conclusion on people's character comes off as insulting and, seeing as offensive text is a common form of 'attack' on the internet, it makes you harder to side with where morality is concerned. What surprises me is how many genuinely flipped out over it and took great offence to a word not deemed to be cursing or particularly offensive. In their rage they are so intent on making you feel bad they don't seem able to justify their own opinion or give reason for lacking posts on an ED board. Two sentences of yours were damaging to your argument though: you contradicted yourself by stating that people who are idiots on forums may not be so in real life, then told a guy he wasn't studying to become smarter because of his poor choice of action on a forum and that someone who is acting badly on a forum will have dimmer kids than you with no real life basis).

I cannot understand how boards for extended discussion end up with posts that are nearly worthy of the title 'spam' - a lot of what I see on CR does not contribute to any discussion at all, and had I not already given up hope for the forums as a whole I would have expected people to at least make some effort on an ED board.

People are expressing disgust here for someone pointing out that extended discussion should mean extended discussion - can there only be a minority who sees something a little off here? Attack his methods by all means, but the point itself is valid and he has asked you to discuss why people don't feel the need to improve for just the one board. I'm clueless as to that so I can't comment.

A subjective part of the argument may be the experience section; people asking for other's experiences of something may well provide a lengthy starting point and those replying may give a good feedback along with their account. I can see how a one or two sentence starting post and replies with no relation to existing posts would make it general discussion material, but that kind of thread, while may be not spawning debate as such, should not be struck off as not being elaborate enough.

Finally, my first impression of the title alone brought this one liner to mind: 'Welcome to Crunchy Roll.' You can't expect too much of a place with such a reputation (people will slack off if everyone else does and others may avoid the forums like the plague), you can in private sections create what you like of the facilities, and you can expect an enormous forum such as this to be hard to moderate. The answer to the problem addressed here would be to have non-contributing replies reported as spam and treated as such, but this is based on opinion, would take far more work, and may upset and confuse existing users. May be now people will think twice before making a topic, but it seems few here are up for a social revolution.


Apologises for language mess ups, repetitiveness, lack of structure and the extreme overuse of 'quite', 'may', etc. I freely admit to having a lack of confidence problem that litters my writing style with vague, nervous statements. If I don't sound solid then it's likely I'm trying not to step on toes - hard not to do considering this situation.
178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 3/21/08
wow, this troll thread is still alive
Posted 3/21/08
wow.. interesting the majority of the people looking into the thread (as far as I have seen) are not forum idiots... I believe that the reason people always act stupid on the internet is because in the internet no one knoews who you are so you can act dumb adn not worry about any real consequences while if you act like an idiot in lets say your school you will probably be outcasted and scolded, I believe that all humans are idiots deep down but just keep them in to act cool but via the internet alot of people release their inner idiot whether by forum, chat room or video comments
6497 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / cLouD9
Offline
Posted 3/21/08

jestorebo wrote:

Hm. Although I understand you want to keep the title simple, I suppose it is really about being bad debatants. This would also make the references less "insulting". Also it would be nice if the kind of "idiocy" is named. For instance:
1. The "lol" comment. I strangely enough still don't know what "lol" means, but that is besides the point. I am talking about comments like "lol", "hahaha" and the like. Completely pointless.
2. Meaningless references. Quotes that have nothing to do with it, movies once seen not relevant, et cetera.
3: stated naivety. Like "war is bad". I saw that one actually on a war thread, and "war is so stupid. why do it?". Basically the person is stating that he/she can not debate, just filled with naive ideals with no reasoning behind it, that one feels must be stated on a thread. Kindergarten discussion.
4: "Haven't got a clue what the thread is about"- syndrome. Some even state it themselves: "I am to lazy to read the OP right now, but...". Then don't write anything. Or read the OP instead of writing. It's like they need to write a certain amount of letters on different threads a day, or they'd die. But usually they just write. A good example is "did Jesus exist". Wrongly named, it was baout the evidence for claiming that Jesus existed. However, you needed to read Op in any case. The thread was full of statements like "I belive in Jesus" and some "religion is a hoax". It shoudl have been a discussion of evidence. Usually it is probably people that have just read the title, or a previous post, responding right away because they are enflamed by the chance, but don't bother getting into it.
5. "Funny" remarks. Seldom funny, usually a reference to something. It is ok to end a post this way I think, but not as only comment
6. Misunderstanding on purpose. Some people insist on doing this.
7. Statements just showing that one does not know the facts.
8. statements without argument.
9. Wrong and right. One thing that has become popular is making moral statements into facts. "This should not be done as it is wrong, now....". Nope. Actually what is wrong and right is subjective. You can argue for and against something. But some just say "wrong" as a fact, and then starts the argument about something else, as if something being right or wrong is a scientific fact.
UUhh. That's all I can be bothered to think of. Except I got nervous. I've had soem experience being said to have stupid comments, so I thought I might appear on one here. Not so far.....


lol - laughing out loud.
6497 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / cLouD9
Offline
Posted 3/21/08
only 74% are idiots? c'mon, it's actually 100%.
Posted 3/21/08

OptimusGatts wrote:
TS: shibole
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-98479/Buddhism.html
Look at that first post! Marvelous! Colour! Links to videos! A brief introduction to the topic! Get this guy a box of Oreos and some dunking milk. This is definetely the template to follow for starting a thread.

Glad you liked it.
Posted 3/22/08
Woot I fit onto the 74% percentile.

Good thing my brain only operates at less then 10%.

Yea there are idiots everywhere. From work place, home, college, and mostly the inturdnet. But hey I love the stupid people. It makes you feel more intellectual to be around them. So bring on the dummies. Cause we need more of them to test out some spiffy brand new rides.

A Toast. MMM toast. Oh the Stupid already spread to me. Gotta wipe off the drool on myself.
207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / the net
Offline
Posted 3/22/08 , edited 4/21/08

X-ATMO92 wrote:


ZeroxRei wrote:

Well I've actually just skimmed through the first post, but received the message pretty loud and clear.
And I agree, to a certain degree.

Unfortunately, seeing as how I'm only a new member, I haven't been around to look at all the forum posts and topics to criticize and add to the list. Plus it really isn't my style or position to do so, but nonetheless see this...idiocy, as you put it. Frankly, I can't really stand discussions with no meaning or a lot of chat speak, really grates my nerves. Then there's the shortcuts of 'wat' or short forms, not all of us are MSN literates; sure, some chat speak is fine but not a whole paragraph of it! Or is this just my dislike of inappropriately written replies? I'm not sure, perhaps it's for the general as well.

Most people when asking the question "Who's your favourite character?" or "What do you think of..." usually just leave a one liner because the topic title itself is self-explanatory. Yes, we all know it is, but in-depth information is nice as well.
Now, I'm not saying I'm not like these people, which is totally untrue, but I've learned now. However, when it comes to serious discussions, most people try, either with facts or personal experiences, to reply with a more in-depth reply than their usual, even though it still may be inconsistent, they have tried nonetheless.

At this moment, I know what I've said doesn't really make sense, I know, and I apologize for it.
I'm not trying to put anyone down (I've been known to in real life) but this is just my opinion.
People should try to at least put more effort into posting, giving details and typing like a normal person (who doesn't user or understand chat speak) so that there are no usual one liners and such.


I agree with what you say, but the topic starter here is not referring to people who post one-liners in the particular threads you mentioned, but in ones that take serious discussion, i.e Extended Discussion. The ones you mentioned have a lot more leeway in how much content one should include, and short, simple answers, though not necessarily encouraged, are permitted. Also, as long as what someone writes is legible enough to make sense to others, grammar and spelling isn't much of a problem. The people referred to are just those who don't contribute to the discussion, such as someone popping in to say "hm, yeah, I think so too," or perhaps "yeah, wait no. I dunno lolz." If you're going to discuss something, you should at least have some opinion of it, and at least attempt to back up your opinion.

The other people mentioned were thread starters who either were, as he put it, idiots because they failed to adhere to the rules, or because they didn't provide any substance to their thread. Then of course, there were the ones who were trying to be funny, whom I don't think are really fit to be called "idiots," although they could try to work on their maturity. There's a time and place for things.


Quite true, quite true. I apologize for the mistake.

It is true that some people do post seemingly 'idiotic' things to be funny or to be popular, in my opnion it may just for more points, for what reason we have no idea. However, at times it can be extremely annoying. In terms of grammar, it is true that it doesn't really matter, as long as the writing is legible, I for one am not the best in grammar, but try nonetheless. Though there are times when there are people who do contribute to the conversation but the way they write using chat speak is so unlegible that it really makes it hard for the reader (at times) to understand; a slim but real possibility.

Another thing I wanted to point out about topics is the way most people tend to drift off the current topic being discussed. I'm not saying I haven't done this, which I have done countless of times, though at times the way it drags of is quite annoying. Instead of being a 'What do you think about abortion?' topic it became a 'What does this slang mean?' topic. I know I didn't put in a quote or names, but I did put the topic title which should be enough proof, near the last pages. Also, the rplies that some people give to serious discussion topics are fairly lacking of inconsistancy in backing up their points, I'm sure this has been mentioned already. One can't just say, "Well, I think it's bad because it's murder" out of the blue. Okay, they can, but still. I know people are entitled to freedom of speech but hearing the same answer over and over again is getting boring, at least people should back up their statements with an example or something, a view of some sort, instead of looking at the topic at hand with one view.

Now, I would like to apologize for anything that I've written that may seem offensive to some users.
I'm not trying to be mean or single people out, it's not my way, and I really believe that others are entitled to their own opinions.
This may be hypocritical but I don't really want any enemies.
1078 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Yeah
Offline
Posted 3/22/08 , edited 4/21/08
This topic is packed with long posts, I wouldn't call someone that doesn't read all that nonsense an idiot, I didn't read all that nonsense, I read enough to find you pretentious, before I got bored and skipped right to the part that tells me I'm an idiot for not reading your unimportant, boring shit. There's a reason why people read tedious shit, interest or useful information, and this topic here, I'm afraid gives neither.
Personally I don't give a shit what your opinion is, you are too insignificant, you only gained some attention by using people's mistakes against them no more, don't flatter yourself, that doesn't make you significant enough to judge what people are and what they are not, I'll make it short, and interesting for you:

Eat my shit.
1222 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / SomeWhere In Nevada
Offline
Posted 3/23/08 , edited 4/21/08
Well lemme say one small thing, you've got too much time to be calling other ppl idiots.
second if you considered yourself "smart", you wouldn't have an account here to begin with, you'd be out either studying and being social or other more important things.
Lastly-who would you lable intelligent or above the idiot standard? One thing for you to note is that their is no straight standard for any person, each is different in their own way
IF you had some sense, you'd rethink about lableing people idiots due to their ability to start topics.

PS most of the mods here are jackasses in my personal "opinion"
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.