This is a compilation post by many of the moderators on the site. PLEASE familiarize yourself with the rules. Moderators are not obliged to explain every rule prior to moderation.
Note: Click the spoiler button under each rule for a more detailed explanation!
General Site Rules
*Report all errors with the site to the mods
Any coding errors that you notice should be reported to a moderator. Failure to do so will not get you into any trouble but if you exploit a flaw with the site instead of telling a moderator about it, you will be banned. Length of the ban will depend on the severity of the action.
*Have an appropriate Avatar
- must not contain nude or offensive images.
- can't be any larger than 500 pixels in length and 200 pixels in width.
- may not be taken/stolen from another user.
If any of those are not followed, a staff member will remove it if reported to them or if they happen to see it.
* Do not spam for CR Points:
Posting things like Forum posts, photos or comments earns you CR points, but it is not what the site was created for. The points are supposed to be a reflection of how much you used the site but also has no direct relation to how experienced you are on this site. Trying to abuse the system to gain a lot of CR Points is a punishable offense.
* Only post links if they are appropriate
Please use common sense with links. The following are disallowed.
Links to sites (commercial OR personal) that have:
1. Pornographic, racist or illegal materials
2. Profit sites or referral link games. These are sites that earn the poster a profit/commission or sites that give points for incoming links.
3. Any form of advertising. You may post links to sites you like, just as long as you genuinely endorse it and don't post it multiple times.
* Chainletters are not to be circulated
Exactly what it says. Any message that tells you to send the same message to other people or else something bad will happen, is fake.
DO NOT SEND/FORWARD any random messages you get or see which contain words or phrases similar to the following examples:
- Forward this
- copy and paste
- send to all your friends
- pass it around
- copy and paste it on 10 other videos
- your will die
- press f4
If you happen to see messages like these, please mark them as 'SPAM', and a moderator will eventually delete it.
Please refer to this thread: http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-65959/NO-Chainletters-Please.html
NONE of the site moderators or administrative staff will ask for a mass circulation of any letter of any sort. We do not need to resort to these tactics to get our messages across. So please, do NOT circulate them.
* Multiple accounts (aka Alts) are generally not allowed
These have to be reported to administrators and moderators, with a reasonable explanation as to why it was created. This is a serious offense, failure to do so may result in account termination.
Multiple accounts that are used to spam, harass/deceive other users, get around a ban or break any other rules, will most likely be deleted on sight with absolutely no warning.
* Know where to seek Help with using the site
Please don't post just anywhere if you need help. There are proper places for this.
If you need help with something on the site, you may:
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- PM a staff member, whom you can find listed on the Staff page.
- visit the Site Feedback and Help section for assistance with any of your site related problems.
* Only edit an Article page if the information you are adding is valid
If you edit Article pages in the Crunchyroll Library and continually add invalid information, you may be warned and banned for doing so.
General Forum and etiquette rules:
*Read and understand the General Site and Forum Rules before posting on the Forum
This was put at the top of the list for a reason. The rules are here for you to read, so there is no excuse to feign ignorance when a warning is issued.
*Flamebaiting and Flaming are disallowed.
Do not insult others. Even if you strongly detest the content of a post or individual to whom you are replying to. Swearing is only allowed if the swear word does not directly insult any users. This will be dealt in a case by case basis.
PMs are not moderated. However, you should respect the privacy of others and refrain from quoting Private Messages in a public forum. Consider bringing issues up to any moderators if you feel harassed by any individual though.
*Don't force the forum rules down someone else's throat.
If you believe it needs pointing out, take it to PM or notify a moderator. Quoting the rules in public is unnecessarily embarrassing for the author of the post in question. If someone breaks the rules, respectfully inform them of it, report it to a moderator and be on your way. Don't make it into a personal issue by arguing with them.
*Generally, be respectful in tone:
- Do not yell, i.e. type in all caps.
- Once is enough. Don't post the exact same message multiple times.
- Type what you want to say in an intelligible way - avoid l33t, shorthand, and related internet atrocities.
- Spamming smilies is unnecessary. Nobody needs to see 99 smilies in a post. One will suffice.
- Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use annoying caps, special characters, or titles that have sexual innuendo just to draw attention. They will be edited if someone has time.
Internet tone is easy to misinterpret, hence unless the evidence highly suggests otherwise, take sometime to think - could the post you just read could be interpreted in a friendlier fashion? Give them the benefit of doubt.
* Forum standards are rated PG-13.
- Do not post naughty links or graven images.
- Please try to keep sexual innuendo to a minimum. This forum does not disallow it, but occasionally, such things get out of hand, so please think about sharing them in private instead of posting them.
- Refer to the Photo Upload Guidelines found later in this list
* Do not engage in unnatural thread bumping.
If you are concerned about a topic, post once. If it's good, people will respond, but if you are doing it simply to make a thread seem popular (esp if the thread is your own) then it's an unnatural bump. Posts like that will be deleted if seen and you will be warned not to do so again.
* Post your threads in the appropriate forums.
Save the moderators time by thinking about where your thread best fits in the forum. Make sure to use the correct subforum/section and check to see if your thread has already been made in the past because duplicates (or very similar topics) will be removed without question. Nobody will kick you if you get it wrong, but it saves your thread from being overlooked or locked.
Also, use the forum search or check the index threads to see if the thread you plan on making isn't a duplicate of an old one.
Forum Games Index
* Almost ALL new Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, & One Piece threads will be locked. Those must go in the proper subsections that are dedicated to those shows.
* Most 'Versus' thread will be locked
Due to the numerous amount of these particular anime and 'versus' threads already posted, no new threads will be allowed unless it is a good topic that deserves it's own thread. (which won't happen often)
* Offer content.
Remember that your post is supposed to be read by someone. Don't just post saying 'Yo', or things like that that others cannot contribute to. It's not a personal space for you to do whatever you want, but an interactive board. Threads made to simply ask a question and have it answered are not allowed. There are most likely larger threads which have already been made for you to do that in.
*Do not post more than 2 pictures in a single Forum post
Not everyone has high speed internet, therefore, do put a note before submitting a new thread that is image intensive. It would also be wise to limit the number of pictures per post to 2 and refrain from posting a lot of pictures in one post. This does not mean you can double or triple post right after wards with 2 more images per post. If you must put a lot of images in a post, try linking to the url instead of embedding the image with the IMG tags.
* Type intelligibly.
This is not an instant messenger program, and CR does have a chat program for that purpose. People prefer to read a post that someone has taken the time and consideration in. Also, under no circumstances are you to type in a foreign language without providing an English translation (which should also be done sparingly). Illegible posts that don't make sense are easily misinterpreted as spam, and therefore are subjected to removal without warning, so save yourself the trouble.
*** Thou Shalt Accept the Moderators' and Administrators Decisions.
We reserve the right to edit any part of a post, member profile, ban members (temporarily or permanently) and other miscellaneous actions required to keep the forum in order. You will accept this gladly and run to the yoke of our loving arms, because we do so for your sake. <-That was a joke, btw. (*wicked grin*)
(^ with that last point, anyone who ignores a moderator will have our wicked fury cracking upon their souls. )
*Do not Double-Post
When you make a post immediately after your last post, this is called Double Posting. If you post three times in a row, that's Triple posting. Post any more than that, it's Spamming. You can use the edit button found on the upper right-hand corner of your last post to add on any additional comments you'd like to add, instead of posting again.
Naturally, if no one responds to your post, don't post after your previous post asking something like 'Why no one is replying'.
*Don't ask for licensed Anime
Posting requests to bring back a removed Anime will not be tolerated. They're gone and will remain gone for the foreseeable future (as has been explained in a separate Crunchy News thread). Asking why it's gone or if you can upload a licensed Anime (that you know is licensed), is a waste of our and your own time. Asking about it doesn't make it any more likely for a particular Anime to be brought back.
* Please do not post threads in the Site Feedback and Help section
This is unnecessary. Your questions or concerns can be posted in the respective help threads already existent. Only the CR staff is permitted to post threads in that section.
Additional guidelines by edsamac:
Thread Creation Guidelines
*Make the First Post clear and complete
If you're going to start a topic, back it up with any background information that should be known regarding the topic in question. Don't assume that everyone knows what you're talking about - provide external/internal links, synopses, and examples to clarify your topic so that everyone can understand and join freely.
*Initiate the discussion in the First Post
The importance of the first post can't be stressed enough. If you're going to start a discussion, make sure to participate in it by giving your opinions as well. It's basic forum courtesy to open a topic by sharing your own views regarding the topic at hand. Simply dropping a topic in front of everyone is very distasteful, and in many ways, can be considered rude. So don't go starting a topic with a short sentence that says: "discuss __(topic goes here)___ in this thread..." because that is a given already based on the title... do your job as thread starter and INITIATE the discussion.
*Label threads appropriately
When you're asked to fill in the field for Topic Title, be clear and concise. Don't write a lengthy sentence or use unnecessary phrases... just keep it simple and sweet. Under Topic Description, give a SHORT description of the nature of the topic. A single sentence is enough - keep more detailed topic descriptions for the FIRST POST of the thread.
*Create topics SENSIBLY
Don't just start any random topic out of a whim. Think first if the topic is worthy of discussion and worth the time of other users to look through and react/comment upon. Any topic that does not generate any reasonable form of discussion, or a topic that is simply too trivial to discuss will be locked.
*Avoid creating Comparison/VS Threads
This is somewhat related to the Sensible Topic guideline. Though there's nothing wrong with versus topics per se, they generate little discussion, and history has shown that users abuse topics like these and post one-worded responses. Many, IF NOT ALL comparison/versus topics WILL BE LOCKED. The bottom line is that Forum Topics should be venues for discussion. Period.
*Don't BUMP threads
Though it may be frustrating that no one is replying to your thread, don't bump or troll in it to keep it alive in the forums. If people have nothing to say, then they don't have anything to say. Just let the thread be and sooner or later, someone will reply.
*Always check for Existing Threads
Don't go starting a thread without having first checked the forums for existing threads. You can use the new Forum Search tool bar to find threads with matching keywords, or you can consult the Thread Indices, which are stickied near the top of each forum section. If your topic is a duplicate, it will be locked.
*Post threads in the appropriate forum section
As stated a while ago, make sure you're posting your topic in the proper forum section.
*No Picture Sharing Threads
Posting a picture in your posts is fine... but creating a topic specifically asking people to post pictures will only promote spamming and no discussion. The point of the threads is to discuss. You can share pictures using the Profile Photo Sharing feature, or you can use the Groups Photo Sharing feature. Either way, it all boils down to the fact that the forum threads are meant to be venues of discussion. Pictures don't generate much discussion, so don't create threads where posting pictures is the main theme.
Guidelines for Photos Updated!
The following includes what photos are NOT ACCEPTABLE for upload in the photo sections/avatar of your profile:
~ Any form of nudity, regardless of whether or not the subject is covering their breasts or genitalia will not be tolerated.
~ Exposure of more than 1/2 of the breast, exposure of the areola, and exposure of the nipple will not be tolerated. Fondling of the breasts (i.e. grasping the breasts either by the character or by another character) will not be tolerated either.
~ No form of genital exposure will be tolerated. This includes fondling with undergarments, extremely low exposure (such that more or less 1/2 of the mons pubis is exposed) or visualizations of the genitalia beneath the underwear (where the labia majora is discernable).
~ Any picture depicting sexual undertones, such as sex, masturbation, or any of the sort will not be tolerated.
Any infringement will result in automatic deletion of the said pictures and the following sanctions:
1st offense ~ Warning
2nd offense ~ 3-day ban
3rd offense ~ Account Deletion
Remember that CR is a PG13 site, first and foremost. You have no defense what so ever in explaining why any R18 images should be uploaded.
Crunchyroll Chat Rules
1) Respect the ops (operators) of the room.
NOTE: The (main) operators are thefinalword, Zeronite, mochacafe, Crossy, houck, thenicooole, Blazeh, Bedlam, Scripted , Junglizm, as well as the moderators listed on the staff page (http://www.crunchyroll.com/staff).
They can kick you out from a room, ban you from a room, ban you from the site, and nuke your account. Both forum AND media moderators are chat room ops.
(Note: The following, if used excessively or inappropriately, can result in a kick or a ban)
(It is up to the mod in the room to determine what can be considered kick or ban-appropriate)
2) The chat is still PG-13--meaning no inappropriate topics, discussions, images, or links.
3) The main chatrooms (crunchyroll, anime, games, music, drama, fansubs, uploaders, mods,random) are to be ENGLISH-ONLY. If you wish to speak in another language, make your own chatroom (see below).
4) Do not type in all CAPSLOCK (unless occasionally for humor).
5) Refrain from typing something completely irrelevant (being random) when others are having a conversation.
6) NO FLAMING and/or aggressively cussing/swearing.
7) Type intelligibly. Refrain from extreme 1337, text-speak, or ghetto-talk.
8) DO NOT drag out words, punctuation marks, or add excessive emoticons.
9) Multiple lines of short words (or lines) such as 'blah,' 'hey,' 'hi,' 'u there?' 'lol,' 'haha,' 'what,' 'bye,' and 'bored' are not allowed. This can be considered spamming and will encourage others to spam as well.
10) No asking for email addresses, AIM screen names, MSN contacts, buddy requests, and phone numbers for people to join your group, etc. PMs, GBs, and buddy invitations exist for those purposes.
11) Be in the correct room. To discuss drama, go to the drama room; to discuss anime, go to the anime room, etc. This is similar to the forum, there are sections for specific subjects.
12) Roleplaying is not allowed in the main channels. If you wish to roleplay, you need to create your own channel and roleplay there. Excessive roleplaying after warnings from a mod will result in a kick and, if continued, a ban.
13) Do NOT take advantage of the /me command. Use it sparingly.
14) 'Truth or Dare' or similar games are not allowed in the main chatrooms. You'll have to make your own room to play a chat game with a group of friends.
15) Idling is not allowed. Idling is defined as staying in a chatroom when you are not at your computer. Being away from your computer for a short amount of time is fine but idling to be at the top of the chat list WILL result in a kick. Moderators are allowed to idle kick when they feel it is necessary.
16) Do not repeatedly whisper people who don't want to talk to you. This includes using the "/f m " command to message a bunch of people at the same time. If someone requests that you take them off of your friends list, you have to comply.
17) Do not be a mod "suck up" or shove the chat rules down other users throats. Do not brag about how moderators may show favor to you. Do not manipulate moderators into doing your bidding. Doing any of these will result in a kick or ban from the chatroom or an account (forum/chat) ban if used excessively.
18) No more mod walls. >_>
Crunchyroll Group Rules
Rules for a group you create can be whatever you decide on as long as the group does not involve the following:
1) The group may not be used to attack/ridicule other users of this site by doing things like the following for example; creating lists of users to pass judgment on them, posting images of conversations, welcoming the members in your group to harass other users through PMs and/or Forum Posts ,etc. Such groups may be deleted if they continue to be a problem after being warned.
2) Groups with material only suitable for Adults, must be set as a Secret Group and marked as "Mature". Otherwise the group may be closed after a 24 hour notice is given to the creator, so he/she can change the group to meet our requirements.
We only intervene in groups when necessary and as such, dealing with groups is done case by case. This means that the Site Moderators (listed on the staff page) reserve the right to look over your group and impose any new rules on them if it is deemed to be best for the community. If this happens, a moderator will usually explain the new rules to the creator of the group and it will be up to creator to impose those rules on to the rest of the members. If the rules are still not upheld by either the creator or the members, the group could be removed.