First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
Singapore students get lessons in love
Posted 3/21/08

casualbrutality wrote:

If we all lived more communally, that would eliminate the desire to progress and in a world without progression, wouldn't we cease to be humans? Humans thrive on comfort and on advancements both physically and mentally, how long do you think we would be able to trade that up for a simpler way of living?



It's definitely a difficult thing to do. Something I'll leave to the idealists (I'm a pseudo-idealist at best). I'm nearing 30 and I'm still unwilling to settle down and have kids despite having been with the same guy for 7 going on 8 years (I met him early on in my undergrad years). We're both career freaks (me more so than him and I'm the only one out of us two who can anatomically give birth).

Anyways, I disagree that communal living would dampen progress. I think you're probably misunderstanding. Communal living has been around since the beginning of humanity and actually gives rise to progress, or perhaps you can say progress gives rise to communal living. Either way, they're codepent.

Here's an example: Discovery of irrigation and new farming techniques resulted in the formation of more communities (think of the Idus River Valley phenomenom here). Or, you could look at this in another way- the human desire to stay within their own racial, ethnic, and familial groups spurred the discovery of new and better technologies and subsequently made it possible for even larger communities to spring up (i.e. a community is simply a larger product of communal living).

Anyways, I can probably give up a few creature comforts but I can't give up my penchant for costly fashion. It's the bane of my life!

Anyways, I disagree that poverty leads to crime. The only time poverty leads to crime is when one is too lazy to do something to better oneself. My family was dirt poor growing up and we literally had to starve many days but my dad worked 2 jobs and put himself through college, and my mother took english classes at home while watching us kids courtesy of your friendly neighborhood churches.

As for the whole having many kids thing, you're misunderstanding (at least in terms of refugees like my parents). A lot of them come from third world countries and are used to kids dying young due to disease and malnutrition. They simply can't shake that fear. All my mom's kids she had in the old country (aside from my elder sister) died from disease and malnutrition. That was 4 in total that died!



Posted 3/21/08

darrylchan wrote:
Instead of $$,people get what they want by rendering service.

Some people already get what they want by "rendering service"
Posted 3/21/08

shibole wrote:


casualbrutality wrote:
because you fancy on learning the secret trade of doing the dirty from government funded curriculum?

Yea, I want them to assign partners. As long as mine is female and attractive, and not older than say 30.


i almost took up a sexuality class at the local community college during my junior year of high school. irrelevant, but the thought still puts a smile on my face.

Make your order a double!

202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 3/21/08
I ought to take up this module next sem! Haha =D
1174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 3/21/08

shibole wrote:


darrylchan wrote:
Instead of $$,people get what they want by rendering service.

Some people already get what they want by "rendering service"


Different context.
1174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 3/21/08

xidiya wrote:


casualbrutality wrote:

If we all lived more communally, that would eliminate the desire to progress and in a world without progression, wouldn't we cease to be humans? Humans thrive on comfort and on advancements both physically and mentally, how long do you think we would be able to trade that up for a simpler way of living?



It's definitely a difficult thing to do. Something I'll leave to the idealists (I'm a pseudo-idealist at best). I'm nearing 30 and I'm still unwilling to settle down and have kids despite having been with the same guy for 7 going on 8 years (I met him early on in my undergrad years). We're both career freaks (me more so than him and I'm the only one out of us two who can anatomically give birth).

Anyways, I disagree that communal living would dampen progress. I think you're probably misunderstanding. Communal living has been around since the beginning of humanity and actually gives rise to progress, or perhaps you can say progress gives rise to communal living. Either way, they're codepent.

Here's an example: Discovery of irrigation and new farming techniques resulted in the formation of more communities (think of the Idus River Valley phenomenom here). Or, you could look at this in another way- the human desire to stay within their own racial, ethnic, and familial groups spurred the discovery of new and better technologies and subsequently made it possible for even larger communities to spring up (i.e. a community is simply a larger product of communal living).

Anyways, I can probably give up a few creature comforts but I can't give up my penchant for costly fashion. It's the bane of my life!

Anyways, I disagree that poverty leads to crime. The only time poverty leads to crime is when one is too lazy to do something to better oneself. My family was dirt poor growing up and we literally had to starve many days but my dad worked 2 jobs and put himself through college, and my mother took english classes at home while watching us kids courtesy of your friendly neighborhood churches.

As for the whole having many kids thing, you're misunderstanding (at least in terms of refugees like my parents). A lot of them come from third world countries and are used to kids dying young due to disease and malnutrition. They simply can't shake that fear. All my mom's kids she had in the old country (aside from my elder sister) died from disease and malnutrition. That was 4 in total that died!







There
Someone who is able to refute my point on communal living.
Posted 3/21/08

casualbrutality wrote:
i almost took up a sexuality class at the local community college during my junior year of high school. irrelevant, but the thought still puts a smile on my face.

That sounds more like an excuse to leave school early than an actual class.
2250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/21/08
weird....!
Posted 3/21/08

shibole wrote:


casualbrutality wrote:
i almost took up a sexuality class at the local community college during my junior year of high school. irrelevant, but the thought still puts a smile on my face.

That sounds more like an excuse to leave school early than an actual class.


more like an excuse to hang around dirty middle aged women.

"alright class, it's time to share our most exciting sexual encounter!"
202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 3/21/08
I suppose our government is really super concern with the issue. Haha.

But btw, from historial perspective, most government policies have been quite successful, except from some.
36562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Corner of No and...
Offline
Posted 3/21/08
omfg - *laughs ass off* oh *gasp* it hurts...*hugs sides*
202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 3/21/08
ya. Singaporeans are well known for obeying their government. That is so stupid.

Most of us are just concern with the economy. Anything else, leave it to the Lee family
2937 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / San Francisco CA...
Offline
Posted 3/21/08
apparently porn is the easiest way, have they not encounter a "supplier" before?
Posted 3/22/08
Hey why i didn't see this report? zzz
752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36
Offline
Posted 3/22/08
hahaaha, im from ngee ann poly yet i dun even know of this.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.