First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
BODIES The Exhibition
Posted 3/27/08

artgeek707 wrote:

Today I went to see BODIES The Exhibition and loved it.
It's a gallery featuring dissected and plastecined cadavers and is educational on how the body works. It features rooms based on the different systems of the bodies. I really loved it and I'm glad I took an opprotunity to go see it. The circulatory system was the best. The arteries were injected with a pigment polymer and the rest of the surrounding organs were chemically destroyed. This left all the arteries, veins, and capillaries intact and it gave a really detailed outline of the body, even down around fingers and toes.


A lot of people are against the exhibet. The Arch Diosces of Cincinnati told people not to go see it because they felt it disrespected the dead (because I go to a catholic school in the area my school would not take any field trips there) My only concern was how the bodies were obtained. All of the peopkle were from China and were unclaimed bodies in morgues and hospitals and the iffy origins bother me a little but not enough to stop me from going.

So, do you want to see it or are you grossed out. Is it disrespectful or educational?


I saw a clip of this in the news & yes the bodies are given to them (The Exhibit) illegally. It's near some hospital in China and somewhere close the hospital there's a facility where they process the dead bodies.
I believe it's both disrespectful and educational;
disrespectful bcos the people who are processing the dead bodies didn't get any consent from the bodies of the people. Plus, in China a person's body is very important so exposing it out to the public like this is also disrespecting their culture/beliefs.
educational bcos we get to learn about the human body full blast, exposed to us the anatomy of the human body and its works. We can learn a lot from the exhibit too.

So, it's actually both.
6367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / around here
Offline
Posted 3/27/08
my friends went to see it too
1078 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Yeah
Offline
Posted 3/27/08 , edited 4/18/08
Frankenstein got killed for grave-robbery.

I don't think I would give my permission for my body to be preserved for the mere human amusement.
Posted 3/27/08 , edited 4/18/08

AznTacoLover wrote:

i saw it at omsi it was veryyy intresting


me too.
Posted 3/27/08 , edited 4/18/08
it may be educational but if they didn't have permission then thats another story...
Posted 3/27/08 , edited 4/18/08

Shaun_Mimi wrote:

I saw a clip of this in the news & yes the bodies are given to them (The Exhibit) illegally. It's near some hospital in China and somewhere close the hospital there's a facility where they process the dead bodies.
I believe it's both disrespectful and educational;
disrespectful bcos the people who are processing the dead bodies didn't get any consent from the bodies of the people. Plus, in China a person's body is very important so exposing it out to the public like this is also disrespecting their culture/beliefs.
educational bcos we get to learn about the human body full blast, exposed to us the anatomy of the human body and its works. We can learn a lot from the exhibit too.

So, it's actually both.


well, if that's the case, I think it's very disrespectful...

I thought that these people donated their bodies to science or research or... art... or whatever... I had no idea that they were actually obtaining these bodies illegally :o

I have to revise my earlier claim that it was purely educational, w/o disrespect

but I still wanna see that awesome hoodie >:3
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 3/27/08 , edited 4/18/08

DreadDenimPirate wrote:


artgeek707 wrote:


nosuchname wrote:

:o

didja take any pictures? or are you not allowed? I'd like to see some of these myself, it sounds interesting. I don't think it's disrespectful at all, unless the people being viewed didn't agree to being put on display in the first place. I don't think that if they disagreed with the whole "lol, I'm gonna be on display at an exhibition", otherwise, their bodies wouldn't be there...

*ah, fuck parallelism in my sentences ¬_¬;;


not allowed They didn't even have post cards in the gift shop. I got an awesome hoodie though. It has the skeletal system on it and the words BODIES The Exhibition on it


Wait, I saw BodyWorks... is what you saw different?


different exhibet similar concept
Posted 3/27/08 , edited 4/18/08

nosuchname wrote:


Shaun_Mimi wrote:

I saw a clip of this in the news & yes the bodies are given to them (The Exhibit) illegally. It's near some hospital in China and somewhere close the hospital there's a facility where they process the dead bodies.
I believe it's both disrespectful and educational;
disrespectful bcos the people who are processing the dead bodies didn't get any consent from the bodies of the people. Plus, in China a person's body is very important so exposing it out to the public like this is also disrespecting their culture/beliefs.
educational bcos we get to learn about the human body full blast, exposed to us the anatomy of the human body and its works. We can learn a lot from the exhibit too.

So, it's actually both.


well, if that's the case, I think it's very disrespectful...

I thought that these people donated their bodies to science or research or... art... or whatever... I had no idea that they were actually obtaining these bodies illegally :o

I have to revise my earlier claim that it was purely educational, w/o disrespect

but I still wanna see that awesome hoodie >:3


Yeah, it is very disrespectful. Even though these bodies are illegally obtained, I still want to see the exhibit =3
5354 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / beaverditch
Offline
Posted 3/27/08 , edited 4/18/08
it sounds interesting, but i wouldn't i'd like to go because i just don't think my stomach could handle it. :|
Posted 3/27/08 , edited 4/18/08

Shaun_Mimi wrote:


nosuchname wrote:


Shaun_Mimi wrote:

I saw a clip of this in the news & yes the bodies are given to them (The Exhibit) illegally. It's near some hospital in China and somewhere close the hospital there's a facility where they process the dead bodies.
I believe it's both disrespectful and educational;
disrespectful bcos the people who are processing the dead bodies didn't get any consent from the bodies of the people. Plus, in China a person's body is very important so exposing it out to the public like this is also disrespecting their culture/beliefs.
educational bcos we get to learn about the human body full blast, exposed to us the anatomy of the human body and its works. We can learn a lot from the exhibit too.

So, it's actually both.


well, if that's the case, I think it's very disrespectful...

I thought that these people donated their bodies to science or research or... art... or whatever... I had no idea that they were actually obtaining these bodies illegally :o

I have to revise my earlier claim that it was purely educational, w/o disrespect

but I still wanna see that awesome hoodie >:3


Yeah, it is very disrespectful. Even though these bodies are illegally obtained, I still want to see the exhibit =3


me too... or at least I'd like to grab that hoodie...
do they smell? that's prolly the only thing I couldn't handle
16313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ♪ ♫ ☼ england
Offline
Posted 3/27/08 , edited 4/18/08
sounds fun. always good to learn about new things.
18587 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 3/27/08 , edited 4/18/08
It was absolutely disgusting. I didn't eat for 2 days after that.. I was keep imagining my muscles and my organs
750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / in my room
Offline
Posted 3/27/08 , edited 4/18/08
it woudl be an honor
7407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / South Florida
Offline
Posted 3/27/08 , edited 4/18/08
hahah it's in my city right now (fort lauderdale). It's actually 5 min. from my apartment. I've seen it twice. It's great and really interesting. But I would never want that to be done to my dead body. I'll be an organ donor but that's it. Nobody is putting me up for display
1112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / F
Offline
Posted 3/27/08 , edited 4/18/08
You know that some such places use bodies of executed prisoners in China?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.