First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
prisoners
2824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / kyoto
Offline
Posted 3/27/08 , edited 3/27/08
hey im doing this cause i was in another topic about (Is Capital Punishment Wrong?)
and then i star talking and this came to my mind

do you think its fair that we keep giving our money so the prisoners can sleep whit a warm blanket and have warm food and being there whit out doing nothing just being for a crime they did, a crime thats going to let them get out in 5-10 years maybe but until then they have a very nice meal.

when they could be using or taxes for schools and hospitals and stuff like that.

also what do you think about the prisoners life??
1445 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Yew Nork
Offline
Posted 3/27/08
Getting raped isn't a good life :\
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 3/27/08
Eating cold bread and water, living in concrete enclosed walls, and serving penitentiary services doesn't sound like a good life, to me. Maybe in some of the more advanced countries, may it seem like an incentive to be incarcerated, but most of the time ~ no. There is no real point in going to prison.

Another thing is that after they ARE released, they have a criminal record ~ which makes it difficult for them to get employed. Not a very nice life, if you ask me.
39229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Helloween Town
Offline
Posted 3/27/08

Kaoru_Niikura wrote:

hey im doing this cause i was in another topic about (Is Capital Punishment Wrong?)
and then i star talking and this came to my mind

do you think its fair that we keep giving our money so the prisoners can sleep whit a warm blanket and have warm food and being there whit out doing nothing just being for a crime they did, a crime thats going to let them get out in 5-10 years maybe but until then they have a very nice meal hey i want a life of a prisoner as well having a place to leave and warm meal and blanket whit out doing nothing.
they sure have a good life dont they??



lol..i work wit cons on work release...and they are some of teh coolest people i have met... i still even talk to some after they got out they may get a warm meal but they told me it sucks and whatnot...soggy bread, the meat tasting like shit/being "sweaty", they told me they joked saying it was "rat" meat that the cops found in the prison. etc, etc...and ur talking as if juts cuz they did a crime they are not human anymore..everyone is human no matter what they do.so yeah i think its fair. And your talk about I want a life of a prisoner..have fun getting strip searched every day, being in a cell almost 24/7 or a dorm if ur a work release con. Being "watched 24/7 and if you did something wrong go in this room ( forget what my boss called it) for like a day or more by urself. waking up at 6am for breakfast, noon for lunch and 6pm for dinner i think it was. And they dont have a "good life" in jail, at least to the extent of what they told me...it makes me think that you think urs isnt? The people i worked with couldn't wait till they got out and go back to a normal life...with their family, loved ones, their job.
2824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / kyoto
Offline
Posted 3/27/08

punkmusic1088 wrote:


Kaoru_Niikura wrote:

hey im doing this cause i was in another topic about (Is Capital Punishment Wrong?)
and then i star talking and this came to my mind

do you think its fair that we keep giving our money so the prisoners can sleep whit a warm blanket and have warm food and being there whit out doing nothing just being for a crime they did, a crime thats going to let them get out in 5-10 years maybe but until then they have a very nice meal hey i want a life of a prisoner as well having a place to leave and warm meal and blanket whit out doing nothing.
they sure have a good life dont they??



lol..i work wit cons on work release...and they are some of teh coolest people i have met... i still even talk to some after they got out they may get a warm meal but they told me it sucks and whatnot...soggy bread, the meat tasting like shit/being "sweaty", they told me they joked saying it was "rat" meat that the cops found in the prison. etc, etc...and ur talking as if juts cuz they did a crime they are not human anymore..everyone is human no matter what they do.so yeah i think its fair. And your talk about I want a life of a prisoner..have fun getting strip searched every day, being in a cell almost 24/7 or a dorm if ur a work release con. Being "watched 24/7 and if you did something wrong go in this room ( forget what my boss called it) for like a day or more by urself. waking up at 6am for breakfast, noon for lunch and 6pm for dinner i think it was. And they dont have a "good life" in jail, at least to the extent of what they told me...it makes me think that you think urs isnt? The people i worked with couldn't wait till they got out and go back to a normal life...with their family, loved ones, their job.



first of all i have a very good life thank you very much what kind of prison are you running??
cause the prisons that i have to visit are just like im telling you but you are missing the point my point is
that if its ok for us to be paying there food or whatever in there prisoner life.


guys your missing the point!!!!!
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 3/27/08
^ and you're missing our point. Our point is that your reasoning is flawed, because you're assuming that they ARE having it easy in the prison, when in fact, they are not.

Plus, we aren't directly paying for them ~ it's just part of our taxes. Only a small fraction of it goes to the prisons for their maintenance ~ this includes keeping the facilities secure, paying the guards that keep them in, and ensuring the people living near the prisons that one day, these convicts won't simply bust out and raid their homes.

This might seem like a harsh example, but it's possible. My point to you now, is that the portion of my tax money that goes to the prisons isn't simply for the prisoners food and lodging. It includes many other expenses that go to the prisons, in general. I think the way you put it is just the point that we're driving at, because you're grossly over-simplifying the picture with your "point".
2824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / kyoto
Offline
Posted 3/27/08

edsamac wrote:

^ and you're missing our point. Our point is that your reasoning is flawed, because you're assuming that they ARE having it easy in the prison, when in fact, they are not.

Plus, we aren't directly paying for them ~ it's just part of our taxes. Only a small fraction of it goes to the prisons for their maintenance ~ this includes keeping the facilities secure, paying the guards that keep them in, and ensuring the people living near the prisons that one day, these convicts won't simply bust out and raid their homes.

This might seem like a harsh example, but it's possible. My point to you now, is that the portion of my tax money that goes to the prisons isn't simply for the prisoners food and lodging. It includes many other expenses that go to the prisons, in general. I think the way you put it is just the point that we're driving at, because you're grossly over-simplifying the picture with your "point".


ok so are you willing to pay my food as well???

and i do understand your point maybe i didn't express myself correctly.
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 3/27/08

Kaoru_Niikura wrote:

ok so are you willing to pay my food as well???


You are making no sense. What does that have to do with anything?

We don't directly pay prisons, dear. We pay in taxes that are remitted through the things we buy. If you have a salary, then it's remitted through your income. If you own property, you're also charged a tax. All of these incurred taxes go to the government, and it is used accordingly.

I don't decide where my taxes go, they just go wherever the government needs it ~ and a small portion of this tax money goes to the prisons.

Your inference to me paying prisoner's food is nothing short of an epic failure, on your part. Not only have you shown me you don't know what you're talking about, you've also proven the fact that you don't understand what I'm talking about, either.


2824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / kyoto
Offline
Posted 3/27/08

edsamac wrote:


Kaoru_Niikura wrote:

ok so are you willing to pay my food as well???


You are making no sense. What does that have to do with anything?

We don't directly pay prisons, dear. We pay in taxes that are remitted through the things we buy. If you have a salary, then it's remitted through your income. If you own property, you're also charged a tax. All of these incurred taxes go to the government, and it is used accordingly.

I don't decide where my taxes go, they just go wherever the government needs it ~ and a small portion of this tax money goes to the prisons.

Your inference to me paying prisoner's food is nothing short of an epic failure, on your part. Not only have you shown me you don't know what you're talking about, you've also proven the fact that you don't understand what I'm talking about, either.




whatever ok fine you didnt understand what i was trying to said and according to you i
didnt understand what you were saying and if this topic bothers you so much go ahead an erase it i dont care
specially if your ok whit what the government its doing then i dont have nothing to talk whit you cause your
ok whit what ever the government its doing >_<
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 3/27/08

Kaoru_Niikura wrote:

whatever ok fine you didnt understand what i was trying to said and according to you i
didnt understand what you were saying and if this topic bothers you so much go ahead an erase it i dont care
specially if your ok whit what the government its doing then i dont have nothing to talk whit you cause your
ok whit what ever the government its doing >_<


Again, you're throwing unrelated matters into the debate.

You said "I'm okay with what the government is doing" ~ but you put it in such a negative tone. Tell me, what is the government doing? Are you assuming it's bad that they're using taxes to pay off prison expenses? Because if that's your beef in the issue, then state that clearly. Don't beat around the bush and ask people if it's okay that we're paying prisons and crap, because you're just confusing people.

If you want my opinion on that aspect, about the government using taxes to pay off prison expenses, then yes, I agree to it, simply because there's more to prison expenses than giving prisoners food and lodging.


You're adding a political tone to a simple point, and you're giving me the impression that even you don't know that the heck it is you want to achieve out of this thread.
2824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / kyoto
Offline
Posted 3/27/08

edsamac wrote:


Kaoru_Niikura wrote:

whatever ok fine you didnt understand what i was trying to said and according to you i
didnt understand what you were saying and if this topic bothers you so much go ahead an erase it i dont care
specially if your ok whit what the government its doing then i dont have nothing to talk whit you cause your
ok whit what ever the government its doing >_<


Again, you're throwing unrelated matters into the debate.

You said "I'm okay with what the government is doing" ~ but you put it in such a negative tone. Tell me, what is the government doing? Are you assuming it's bad that they're using taxes to pay off prison expenses? Because if that's your beef in the issue, then state that clearly. Don't beat around the bush and ask people if it's okay that we're paying prisons and crap, because you're just confusing people.

If you want my opinion on that aspect, about the government using taxes to pay off prison expenses, then yes, I agree to it, simply because there's more to prison expenses than giving prisoners food and lodging.


You're adding a political tone to a simple point, and you're giving me the impression that even you don't know that the heck it is you want to achieve out of this thread.


that was exactly my point thats why i said that maybe i didnt express myself right!!!!
1433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 3/28/08
Prison sentences have come to replace actual punishments of an eye-for-an-eye nature, much like money in our system of trade. They aren't objectively based, but at least they're something.

The issue isn't as simple as judging the fairness of using taxpayer money to fund prisons. Some of the people in there aren't any different from you or me, and some are wrongly convicted; if you place yourself in the latter situation, how would you feel if you weren't provided with anything more than the very bare minimum for survival because the prisons weren't funded by the masses? People who emerge from those conditions are most likely not going to be fully productive--if at all productive--members of society.

I guess there are a few alternatives, though. We could just execute anyone who is suspected of being a criminal, but, apart from both the basic practical and ethical issues, I doubt most modern countries would even stand for that at this point. We could actually apply the eye for an eye rule, but then we run into problems with certain crimes whose impact upon the victim cannot be recreated in the criminal. We could exile the criminals, but to where and to what end? Looks like our alternatives aren't too great...
3914 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / just about ... here.
Offline
Posted 3/29/08
quite confusing topic.

my impression of a prisoner's life here in the Philippines is this: it's a life I wouldn't want to live. the prisoners:cell ratio is pretty bad. it's not a comfortable life as some might think. you're life's in danger too most of the time.

taxes going to prison expenses: it is well within the government's concern. so it is but right to allocate a fraction of the citizen's money to prison expenses. they are human beings like us after all. they too have needs. if nobody gives funds for their expenses, and no one cares enough to donate money for their expenses, then getting imprisoned for a year = death sentence.

don't get me wrong, i hate criminals too... as much as i want them to die and burn in hell, i think they still deserve to at least live as humanely as possible before they do.
12079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / location location...
Offline
Posted 3/29/08
There are two things we have to do in life,
1. pay your taxes
2. Die

But if we don't have to really pay our taxes, because if we don't, we still have a little room to stay with food provided.... which is called jail

So in life, all we have to do is die.

I just wanted to say the above

Back to the topic, they did the crime, they pay the price... If their crimes are serius, they get wiped or hanged
But for those little ones, well they just wasted lots of time
time = money

They wasted lots of money too...
People who commit crimes on purpose deserve to be locked away.
Prison life might not be that terrible comparing to those who are suffering from poverty in Africa, but to be locked away from the world and being wiped, I supposed they've deserved enough
3335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/30/08
Prisoners have quite comfortable lives in prison now, so long as they keep on other people's good sides. If we were to revert back to the old fashioned imprisonment, where they just live in a small concrete box with nothing but straw to sleep on and a bucket to piss in and a minimal diet, it would be much more effective and crime rates might be lower. And we would not have to spend so much money on them.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.