First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
For Star Supporters Only Please: Are you happy with free hidef vids for all?
774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / F / Seattle, WA
Offline
Posted 3/28/08 , edited 3/28/08
This poll is for Star Supporters only, please. If you are a current or past donor, please participate. Everyone else, please respect this poll, it is not for you. I want to get real numbers, so I am asking anyone who has never donated to CR to please not vote.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Star Supporters:

If you marked "no," please state why you are not happy about everyone being able to see high quality and hi-def vids for free.

Thanks for voting and posting!
13788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / In a recession
Offline
Posted 3/28/08
I am not happy because it seems we were disrespected in a way! I didn't donate just to help CR but to get HQ vids! i think its unfair how we were given the middle finger.........
70633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 3/28/08
...It looks like the free method is a lot of hastle.

I don't like hastle.
774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / F / Seattle, WA
Offline
Posted 3/28/08

iambill10 wrote:

I think that it's better if it is in the general section.

Reported.


Why would you report my thread? Especially without even bothering to talk to me first. I want to extend the discussion already going on. It's like CR is getting to be a big tattle tale site. Go and run to a mod, if that makes you feel good about yourself. It's not like you have done anything real to support CR and make sure it runs smoothly or runs at all for that matter.

Also, if one more person who has never bothered to financially support CR tells me how I should feel and what I should think about this situation, I may get banned for my reply!

You non-payers never felt it important enough to pay so you really don't have any right to tell us Star Supporters anything at all. You should stay out of it. You are now benefiting from the Star Supporters paying for CR up until now. There would be no CR if those of us who paid chose not to do so.

If anything, all the non-payers should thank us. Come to think of it, not one non-payer has said thank you to the Star Supporters for helping to put CR in the position to make the entire site free for them. I guess CR has attracted a majority of users who are just as disrespectful to us as they are.

Go figure.

31116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Clow Country
Offline
Posted 3/29/08
I've been a star supporter for a while now, and technically will remain one for the next 103 days. In a sense, the site won't be "free" for me until that term is over. Despite that, I think that free hi-definition is good. The truth is, I have no right to complain about it. The money I invested in CR was not meant for renting high quality anime each month; it was a donation, not a purchase. Now that the site has finally become capable of standing on its own, how could I be anything but excited? My money, and the money of thousands of other supporters, helped keep the site alive, and allowed it to grow as fast as it did. I'm glad I had the opportunity to be a part of that support, and am even more excited to see that it no longer needs it. It's relieving, isn't it? The site has secured it's footing.

Those who are disappointed at hi-def being free didn't pay for the right reasons. Sure, that was the incentive, but it wasn't supposed to be the reason. You all should have no regrets.
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/29/08

raja613 wrote:

I am not happy because it seems we were disrespected in a way! I didn't donate just to help CR but to get HQ vids! i think its unfair how we were given the middle finger.........


Your assumption of confusing donation with 'I pay for this' is your problem, because you misunderstood the donation. So no one is disrespecting you.
The donation was voluntary, was to help server costs and coincidentally shinji decided to reward donators with access to HQ videos. He could have given many other benefits except HQ videos.

Second, it seems many people are missing the point. The content was always meant to be free. It's just that with the site getting so many viewers is difficult to have the money to satisfy everyone equally because bandwidth gets expensive with so much traffic. On top of that, many people were confusing CR as a pay site, this caused problems with fansubbers, etc. Now finally CR has been taken seriously enough and not viewed as a mere fan site of kids putting videos and someone has decided to invest on it. This made it possible to stop asking for donations, everyone now enjoys HQ quality, and the misconception of CR being a pay site no longer holds together.

This can also mean, a certain part of the monetary things are now taken care of and this gives way to shinji or whoever helps with the site's infrastructure to invest more work on it and make the site better, hence the design change, and constant updates, etc.

I suggest some of you start seeing the situation from the general to the particular, instead of just viewing it from the particular to the general.


i think its unfair how we were given the middle finger.........



This could be applied in so many other ways, for example if we assume that you were actually donating TO get HQ, then guess what? the people who own the material you are watching, and the ones who created it, are being disrespected and given the middle finger because the money "goes to CR and not them"
13788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / In a recession
Offline
Posted 3/29/08

mauz15 wrote:


Your assumption of confusing donation with 'I pay for this' is your problem, because you misunderstood the donation. So no one is disrespecting you.
The donation was voluntary, was to help server costs and coincidentally shinji decided to reward donators with access to HQ videos. He could have given many other benefits except HQ videos.

Second, it seems many people are missing the point. The content was always meant to be free. It's just that with the site getting so many viewers is difficult to have the money to satisfy everyone equally because bandwidth gets expensive with so much traffic. On top of that, many people were confusing CR as a pay site, this caused problems with fansubbers, etc. Now finally CR has been taken seriously enough and not viewed as a mere fan site of kids putting videos and someone has decided to invest on it. This made it possible to stop asking for donations, everyone now enjoys HQ quality, and the misconception of CR being a pay site no longer holds together.

This can also mean, a certain part of the monetary things are now taken care of and this gives way to shinji or whoever helps with the site's infrastructure to invest more work on it and make the site better, hence the design change, and constant updates, etc.

I suggest some of you start seeing the situation from the general to the particular, instead of just viewing it from the particular to the general.

This could be applied in so many other ways, for example if we assume that you were actually donating TO get HQ, then guess what? the people who own the material you are watching, and the ones who created it, are being disrespected and given the middle finger because the money "goes to CR and not them"


I agree the donation was indeed a voluntary choice......but just like deciding to buy new sneakers is voluntary and other tasks that we as humans do throughout life are voluntary.

I for one just wish that maybe.........donations could have been explained more maybe......don't you think its wrong that CR took money from people 2 weeks after they were able to host HQ vids for free? I am happy I wasn't one of the lucky few who paid a 6 month donation during that grace period. But my main point is that the situation was handled incorrectly and unprofessionally, it would have been nice if Shinji could have given us a heads up that donations were no longer needed instead of implementing the changes and expecting us to be happy about it!

True enough, I could have donated to the fansubbers which is what I have recently started doing, and the money I spent on a donation could have bought me a few manga books and maybe 1 anime DVD. But to be honest this was the website that informed me on what fansubbers, torrents, and etc..... were, and that there were other ways to get the shows I love at the cost of nothing. I donated because I liked the interface and because I would get better quality and I wouldn't have to download any software and possible viruses to my computer!

So with that being said you have a wonderful point and true enough I could have given money to the owners and makers of these series, but I didn't I gave it to CR for HQ vids and Fullscreen.......it was an incentive/marketing ploy to pull us in and donate...you can at least admit to that.......but I would just like to be addressed as well as others who are angry about this situation....I'm happy Shinji is beginning to make money off of his creation but we were done wrong!

And I can see why fansubbers confused this site for a paysite.....why not post links to go to the fansubbers website and ask us to donate there instead of having or used to having the donate to CR button below videos?

But i'm no longer mad at this situation I have 19 days left.........and I will probably enjoy P2P free HQ vids!

46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/29/08
That's true, the donations were never explained well and I always disagreed with how vague the donation page was.
I wish i knew enough on what went on to answer why they waited 2 weeks to stop.

keep in mind shinji is now dealing with companies so announcements are now more complicated to make, or take longer to be made at least that's what I think.
833 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Nova Scotia, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/29/08
I think its a step in the right direction. I donated to the site after about five months because I wanted High-Quality vids along with a decent community unlike SOME sites (Looks grudgingly over at the Youtube bandwagon).

Now that its free High-Def for all, I think that the community overall is stronger, because thats a sign of better things to come and hopefully Shinji will be able to stick with it awhile longer
37756 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / アメリカ
Offline
Posted 3/29/08
Unfortunately for those dumb enough to think they were paying for hd vids then allow me to elaborate. You were paying for the site upkeep. That is all. If you were paying for better quality vids then the site would have to be shut down due to its illegal operations.
Ghost Moderator
AHTL 
87563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 3/29/08
I don't mind it at all.

I did the donation because I enjoy CR and the dollar wasn't so high at the time xD

I'm only sad that I can't keep supporting CR in the ways of donation :(

Still wondering how it'll turn out with the badges etc
70633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 3/29/08

sypris wrote:

Unfortunately for those dumb enough to think they were paying for hd vids then allow me to elaborate. You were paying for the site upkeep. That is all. If you were paying for better quality vids then the site would have to be shut down due to its illegal operations.


Money was given. HD vids were recieved in return. It's an understandable mistake.

You realise it's illegal either way, right?
13788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / In a recession
Offline
Posted 3/30/08

Tyrfing wrote:


sypris wrote:

Unfortunately for those dumb enough to think they were paying for hd vids then allow me to elaborate. You were paying for the site upkeep. That is all. If you were paying for better quality vids then the site would have to be shut down due to its illegal operations.


Money was given. HD vids were recieved in return. It's an understandable mistake.

You realise it's illegal either way, right?


Indeed the website in essence is illegal lol!
7258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Manila
Offline
Posted 4/1/08
what with cr no longer accepting donations, meaning there will no longer be badges?
free HD vids is fine for me.
1712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F
Offline
Posted 4/4/08
I didn't see this in any of the posts of this topic, but with HQ videos do we also get full screen unlimited??

Never mind, I found out by testing myself.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.