First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
The music Thread
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/4/07
Well, I started listening to European metal first and later on I explored American metal, so I also learned about Pantera kind of late and she said she listens to Dragonforce so it's not as bad as you claim kyocool
37667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Hinamizawa.
Offline
Posted 1/4/07

sacrificed21 wrote:

um ok does anyone like Linkin Park?
I love linkin park they kick ass

Posted 1/4/07

azrael910 wrote:

Eh, in his defense he never said he was a metal fan. Though it is kinda odd for someone who listens to heavy music not to know who they are, but remember how long it's been since their final album (which was crap anyways).




I know she said he never was...but i thought it was safe enough to assume..perhaps not....well regardless if your going to dive into a genre of music shouldnt you be aquainted with the standards of the music first then branch out?
I mean i like to become familiar with the basics soo that i can get a better understanding of the genre and then see whatelse has progressed out of it from there.


Trevor (OP)
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 1/4/07

kyocool wrote:


azrael910 wrote:

Eh, in his defense he never said he was a metal fan. Though it is kinda odd for someone who listens to heavy music not to know who they are, but remember how long it's been since their final album (which was crap anyways).




I know she said he never was...but i thought it was safe enough to assume..perhaps not....well regardless if your going to dive into a genre of music shouldnt you be aquainted with the standards of the music first then branch out?
I mean i like to become familiar with the basics soo that i can get a better understanding of the genre and then see whatelse has progressed out of it from there.


Trevor (OP)


True, that is the best way to go about it - that is exactly what I'm doing with Jazz and Opera right now. However younger people don't tend to put that much though behind it and just listen to whatever they're exposed to (hence all the Linkin Park fans). Typically they listen to the popular stuff first. If they decided they really like, then they dive into the history of the genre. More often than not, they just stick with what's popular at the moment.
Posted 1/4/07

azrael910 wrote:


kyocool wrote:


azrael910 wrote:

Eh, in his defense he never said he was a metal fan. Though it is kinda odd for someone who listens to heavy music not to know who they are, but remember how long it's been since their final album (which was crap anyways).




I know she said he never was...but i thought it was safe enough to assume..perhaps not....well regardless if your going to dive into a genre of music shouldnt you be aquainted with the standards of the music first then branch out?
I mean i like to become familiar with the basics soo that i can get a better understanding of the genre and then see whatelse has progressed out of it from there.


Trevor (OP)


True, that is the best way to go about it - that is exactly what I'm doing with Jazz and Opera right now. However younger people don't tend to put that much though behind it and just listen to whatever they're exposed to (hence all the Linkin Park fans). Typically they listen to the popular stuff first. If they decided they really like, then they dive into the history of the genre. More often than not, they just stick with what's popular at the moment.



I know and the awful truthfulness in your statement makes me a sad Trevor. If you cant appreciate and understand where the music came from then i think your doing a total disservice to all the newer bands by saying i like your band because you wont understand why they sound like they do why their influences are the things they are..its not a very deep appreciation for the band outside of well their popular soo im with it and going to listen




Trevor (OP)
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / home
Offline
Posted 1/4/07
Copypasta from my lj:

175r, architecture in helsinki, art school, asian kung-fu generation, beat crusaders, beck, bleach, bugy caxone, bump of chicken, burger nuds, cake, cibo matto, dacco, david bowie, def leppard, doping panda, eric clapton, fujifabric, go!go!7188!, heart bazaar, homemade kazoku, husking bee, led zeppelin, mclusky, modest mouse, motely crue, nine miles, orange range, pixies, plc, plc dvds, queen, quruli, shonen knife, spaghetti vabune!, spiky brothers, the beatles, the cherry cokes, the hangovers, the pillows, the predators, veruca salt, waffles, yogurt-pooh.
93 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/5/07


These guys kick ASS!

*fixed by mauz15
To post an image paste the url here, highlight it and click
18981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 1/6/07

Nirvana?

I fucking hate Nirvana.


Anyway, does anybody listen to Metallica, Dragonforce, Megadeth, Rammstein, Godsmack, Pantera or any other metal bands?

:) Metallica's lovely & Rammstein kicks ass.


how about MUCC? they arnt that big of a japanese band

oO;..erm, yes they are.


art school, asian kung-fu generation, beat crusaders, bump of chicken,dacco, david bowie, def leppard, doping panda, fujifabric, homemade kazoku, queen, quruli, the pillows, waffles, yogurt-pooh.

:) Excellent artists.

:D In my first post I fangirled over Jrock, but David Bowie will forever own my soul. <3
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 1/6/07
How can someone hate Nirvana? They'll be one of the few - if not only - bands that are remembered for decades to come from the early nineties and with good reason.

They're probably not the best band from that scene but they're the most memorable. They're the nineties answer to the Doors - a decent band with an enigmatic frontman who died before his time. The Doors weren't all the spectacular either, but they're legendary for the legacy just as Nirvana is/will be.

The only way someone can hate Nirvana is if they can remember back when they were so overhyped, but most folk here are too young for that (hell it's been 12 years since courtney blew him away :P), and I was only vageuly aware of them back when Kurt was alive.

But you do earn some cool points for digging David Bowie. David Bowie is the most underated overrated artist in my oppinion.
18981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 1/6/07

azrael910 wrote:

How can someone hate Nirvana? They'll be one of the few - if not only - bands that are remembered for decades to come from the early nineties and with good reason.

They're probably not the best band from that scene but they're the most memorable. They're the nineties answer to the Doors - a decent band with an enigmatic frontman who died before his time. The Doors weren't all the spectacular either, but they're legendary for the legacy just as Nirvana is/will be.

The only way someone can hate Nirvana is if they can remember back when they were so overhyped, but most folk here are too young for that (hell it's been 12 years since courtney blew him away :P), and I was only vageuly aware of them back when Kurt was alive.

But you do earn some cool points for digging David Bowie. David Bowie is the most underated overrated artist in my oppinion.


I'm not & was never into grunge. I never understood what was so great about it or Nirvana.

How on earth is David Bowie underrated?

As for The Doors, Jim Morrison has got to be the coolest guy to ever have lived just for the fact that the cemetery he's buried in is thinking of ordering him to be removed since, even to this day, too many people go and party there. How kickass are you if you get kicked out of a place for partying and you've been dead for decades?
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 1/6/07
I was making a joke about David Bowie. I called him the most underrated OVERRATED arist, meaing he is overrated, but not enough people listen to him despite that.

The essence of grunge may be something lost in the pages of counter culture history. Grunge is to this day the MOST counter culture anti-establishment music that ever became popular, be it for a brief but wonderfull period of time. Even Punk and Industrial were to glam and flashy in their own ways. No fashion, No hip-hop, No glam, No polish, nothing. Just an honest to god traditional band. No synth, no over production, just an honest to god chorus of angst and rebellion. And in a much more heartfelt - and genuine - manner than that emo crap thats out there today.

Apart of their rebellion was their simplicity (which seperates itself from punk and other popular counter culture genres to visit the mainstream). Flannel shirts, blue jeans, old shoes... you can pick that shit up in a good will. Emo crap you have to shop at Hot Topic or other gay ass commercial places for. It's all apart of the machine even if the kiddies don't realize it while shelling out their allowance. Grunge was just so damned honest. genuine, and original. I'm not saying Nirvana invented it - it was around long before Nirvana brought it to the mainstream attention. And I'm not saying some bands around today are without merit, just that the vast majority of what you hear lacks the same substance.

Jim Morrison's burial place in Paris has long been a pilgrimage place and tourist attraction, I doubt they'll ever seriously move him - the place is so covered in graffitti I don't see how they could rationalize it. The Doors are fun, though not terribley remarkable msically, though they certainly do have some gems. I think it's the "legend" of The Doors that most people enjoy and there is nothing wrong with that. Jim Morrison is a the poster child of 60's excess.
18981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 1/6/07
Seeing as how it's 4:15 in the morning & I'm sick, I'm debating whether or not to wait and reply once I've had some sleep.

Looks like I'm not waiting. :/ I'm sorry if you expect any sort of intelligent reply. I'll most likely make another reply later.

I never ever said anything about the whole grunge movement & Nirvana's place in it other than I wasn't a fan of it. I definitely am aware of Nirvana's importance and how influential they were to other bands. I was just never a fan of theirs. Kind of like U2/Bono. I know that Bono's absolutely obsessed with Africa and it's great that he's bringing attention to it, but I'm not a fan of his at all.

Meh. I'm not a Doors fan either. My mom, however, used to love them. When I heard they thought about moving him, the reasoning behind it was that all the people partying there would leave beer cans & used condoms lying all over the place.
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 1/6/07

lokita wrote:
I'm not & was never into grunge.



lokita wrote:
I never ever said anything about the whole grunge movement





18981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 1/6/07

azrael910 wrote:


lokita wrote:
I'm not & was never into grunge.



lokita wrote:
I never ever said anything about the whole grunge movement







You didn't read the rest of what I said. I said I never said anything about it other than the fact I wasn't into it.


I never ever said anything about the whole grunge movement & Nirvana's place in it other than I wasn't a fan of it.
179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / chile
Offline
Posted 1/6/07
to me, nirvana has always been the band that didnt care about how people and the media thought about them; though i guess they were affected by it. personally, i think their music was great, and so was the image that they portrayed.

i miss them live. ^^
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.