First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
Do video games cause/encourage violence?
67850 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Japan
Offline
Posted 1/5/07

Do0mAid wrote:

I might overestimate the resistance people have to influences like video games and such, but I really think it's the parents responsibility to gauge the level of maturity the kid has. So I agree parents getting to know their child is important too.

Side note: I like your avatar a lot ^^!


I definetly think the parent's have a big role to play... teaching kids reality from fiction. Also for controling what their kids do. Parents spend the most time with their kids, it's their job to know about them... know what they are capable of, what kind of resistence they have.

I dont want to generalise though, because sometimes no matter how great the parents, kids will be influenced. Also, some kids have strong resistence and have no problem differentiating between right/wrong, reality/fiction

7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 1/5/07
I think it's all really apart of a much bigger problem right - the lack of people recognizing the responsibility for the indivual for commiting the acts that they do. All of a sudden, video games, music, TV, whatever you want to list, is suddenly responsible and held accountable for the acts committed by these people.

I think it would be fair to say that people who commit violent acts may be attracted to violent forms of entertainment, but it's absurd to think the media actually made a normal person commit these acts. Could they push a mentally unstable over the edge to commit these acts, or even duplicate what they saw? Sure, but they're mentally unstable to begin with - that is the problem, not the entertainment they choose.

Another problem goes back to my "christians are idiots" comment I made in another thread. So you have a form of entertainment you hate - maybe it's rock music, maybe it's harry potter, maybe it's a particular video game - instead of letting the product glide under the radar they instead cause a controversy causing more people to purchase than would ever have dreamed of it before.

For example I watched "The Last Temptation of Christ" just because I wasn't supposed to. It was a terrible movie redeemed by a couple of unintentionaly funny lines. Nobody would have cared about this movie had it not been so publically proclaimed as an abomination. And of course now we have a similar example from the other side of the fence (virtually all roles reversed) being "The Passion of the Christ" which was ungodly popular thanks to outspoken secular criticism of it.

On the other hand, I do beleive all Furries are sick fucks and that form of entertainment does rot minds, along with their disgusting sub-sub-sub cultures.
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/5/07
^ Agree. Especially to the last part ugh!
1546 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Martian / Estonia
Offline
Posted 1/5/07
totally disagree, i think its quite the opposite, they are a way for you vent anger and pent up rage, although a better way would be LARP with russians, but thats a different story altogether.
Also VG train youre mind, reflexes and system analysis in my oppinion, if the game is a little gory then so be it...
What i serously dislike is that parents just play the blame game, if a kid turns out to be someone not nice or rather violent then the media/social-groups go out and say that that kid had been playing this or that game and/or watching this or that show.... They dont look into the fact that his partents might have been abusive or neglecting, or maybe his school was turning a blind eye in some cases.... its really mindboggling how much bullshit comes out of the mouthes of some people these days, the most a game can do, is to familiarise weapons and violence, makeing children more numbed towards it...
ALSO all games have an age rateing, Red Alerts/GTA age rateing is 18, so if parents buy something lke that to a kid and he becomes a mass murderer they blame the game, not the parents who bought the game and/or neglected him/her....

( :
4065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Somewhere in Deep...
Offline
Posted 1/5/07
my only thoughts are video gamez are todays way to vent out anger without becomin a mass murderer or rapist. also in a recent study over the years the more advanced and graphic games get the less kids/ teens live out these fantasys due to that they can now do it in an imaginary world. sadly is one becomes too involved then that can lead to a lousy social life and probably suicide.
1560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/5/07
Where i live if you go to gamestop and the person at the counte doesnt ask for your id when you buy an m rated game and they sell you it they will most likely be fired but i really dont think thats right because of parents looking for good ways to sue someone for alot of money because they are shitty parents. on top of that yes it is good they have started doing that because when i was 7 i remember being able to go into a store and buy an m rated game no questions asked.
1560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/5/07

jokerman wrote:

my only thoughts are video gamez are todays way to vent out anger without becomin a mass murderer or rapist. also in a recent study over the years the more advanced and graphic games get the less kids/ teens live out these fantasys due to that they can now do it in an imaginary world. sadly is one becomes too involved then that can lead to a lousy social life and probably suicide.



well your talking about a whole different type of game when you say they become involved because there is a difference in the ones that most people play like GTA for example because if someone plays gta and dies big whoop i still got all my stuff and i can reload from the last save point whatever but on a MMORPG you go online you have alot of stuff high level that took you 4 months to get then someone better than you comes along and kills you and you have to start all over those are the kind of people who become involved and commit suicide and have bad socials lives morealess the people that play games like GTA so there is a huge difference because there is not much to lose on a game but its extrememly violent and alot too lose on a less violent online multiplayer game with people who takes it seriously so its either one or the other in some people opinions so thats why i say violence because violence only affects the weak minded.
1560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/5/07

azrael910 wrote:

I think it's all really apart of a much bigger problem right - the lack of people recognizing the responsibility for the indivual for commiting the acts that they do. All of a sudden, video games, music, TV, whatever you want to list, is suddenly responsible and held accountable for the acts committed by these people.

I think it would be fair to say that people who commit violent acts may be attracted to violent forms of entertainment, but it's absurd to think the media actually made a normal person commit these acts. Could they push a mentally unstable over the edge to commit these acts, or even duplicate what they saw? Sure, but they're mentally unstable to begin with - that is the problem, not the entertainment they choose.

Another problem goes back to my "christians are idiots" comment I made in another thread. So you have a form of entertainment you hate - maybe it's rock music, maybe it's harry potter, maybe it's a particular video game - instead of letting the product glide under the radar they instead cause a controversy causing more people to purchase than would ever have dreamed of it before.

For example I watched "The Last Temptation of Christ" just because I wasn't supposed to. It was a terrible movie redeemed by a couple of unintentionaly funny lines. Nobody would have cared about this movie had it not been so publically proclaimed as an abomination. And of course now we have a similar example from the other side of the fence (virtually all roles reversed) being "The Passion of the Christ" which was ungodly popular thanks to outspoken secular criticism of it.

On the other hand, I do beleive all Furries are sick fucks and that form of entertainment does rot minds, along with their disgusting sub-sub-sub cultures.



thats a extremely prejudice and stereotypical not all christians are hardcore against harry potter my pastor says there is nothing wrong with it he has read the whole series my best friends dad is a pastor and he has read the whole series so has my friend there is nothing wrong with it in his opinion. My friend who is a preachers kid plays violent video games and he says nothing against it because he knows my friend is mature and smart enough to know the difference between reality and "nana land" and rock music hell he listens to metal, rock, and everything except rap, and pop and all the stupid stuff and he listens to it full blast in his room so I find your statement wasnt well put. but besides the point i do agree with you that media doesnt make normal people commit violent acts just the weird mentally unstable ones who have issues in life and dont know how to handle those issues correctly..
5769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / ?
Offline
Posted 1/5/07
kids are idiots this days, i do believe they are influence by violent games but bad parenting are to blame. i think some parents don't care what kind of games their kids play. i saw one parent buying GTA: San Andres for 7-8 years old kid this show that they don't care what kind of game they purchase for their child as long as it makes them happy (the the child stops annoying the parent once they get what they want)
1560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/5/07

Ragnorak_1 wrote:

kids are idiots this days, i do believe they are influence by violent games but bad parenting are to blame. i think some parents don't care what kind of games their kids play. i saw one parent buying GTA: San Andres for 7-8 years old kid this show that they don't care what kind of game they purchase for their child as long as it makes them happy (the the child stops annoying the parent once they get what they want)


kids can say no why cant parents? that is the antidote to some parents poison that raised a spoiled brat who wants to have everything they see which is another reason i hate little children because they are fucking stupid and whenever they are on a game like halo2 because their older brother plays it and they are lifeless dorks at age 4 it makes me want to rip their fucking vocals cords out and shove them up their ass because they are annoying and have no clue what they are doing nor do their parents give half a SHIT that they are cursing in swearing at someone they dont even know on an online game and say stuff that they dont know what they mean over a fucking game because they think its cool that their shitty older brother for a role model does it. which is why i like the fact their are some people other than myself who believe that little children shouldnt be allowed to play those types of games because a majority of them arent mature enough to handle stuff like that at the age and grow up to be absolute fuck ups and i cant say anyone wants a fuck up going around making everyone miserable because their life sucks. so yeah you have a good point their Ragnorak

7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 1/5/07

Tetsuo wrote:

thats a extremely prejudice and stereotypical not all christians are hardcore against harry potter my pastor says there is nothing wrong with it he has read the whole series my best friends dad is a pastor and he has read the whole series so has my friend there is nothing wrong with it in his opinion. My friend who is a preachers kid plays violent video games and he says nothing against it because he knows my friend is mature and smart enough to know the difference between reality and "nana land" and rock music hell he listens to metal, rock, and everything except rap, and pop and all the stupid stuff and he listens to it full blast in his room so I find your statement wasnt well put. but besides the point i do agree with you that media doesnt make normal people commit violent acts just the weird mentally unstable ones who have issues in life and dont know how to handle those issues correctly..


I never said all of them. Like you said, there are quite a few christians who do have enough common sense to realize there is nothing wrong with Harry Potter even from an occult viewpoint. But whenever you hear about idiots protesting Harry Potter books, they are invariably christians. At least one church had a friggen Harry Potter book burning for crying out loud. Christians don't tend to get as up in arms about violent video games as they do about anything that can be occult related, but they do support the politicians who are after them (i.e. Lieberman). Violent video games tend be abhored by idiot soccer moms and average over protective parents, though there are quite few christians lumped in there with them.
1560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/5/07

azrael910 wrote:


Tetsuo wrote:

thats a extremely prejudice and stereotypical not all christians are hardcore against harry potter my pastor says there is nothing wrong with it he has read the whole series my best friends dad is a pastor and he has read the whole series so has my friend there is nothing wrong with it in his opinion. My friend who is a preachers kid plays violent video games and he says nothing against it because he knows my friend is mature and smart enough to know the difference between reality and "nana land" and rock music hell he listens to metal, rock, and everything except rap, and pop and all the stupid stuff and he listens to it full blast in his room so I find your statement wasnt well put. but besides the point i do agree with you that media doesnt make normal people commit violent acts just the weird mentally unstable ones who have issues in life and dont know how to handle those issues correctly..


I never said all of them. Like you said, there are quite a few christians who do have enough common sense to realize there is nothing wrong with Harry Potter even from an occult viewpoint. But whenever you hear about idiots protesting Harry Potter books, they are invariably christians. At least one church had a friggen Harry Potter book burning for crying out loud. Christians don't tend to get as up in arms about violent video games as they do about anything that can be occult related, but they do support the politicians who are after them (i.e. Lieberman). Violent video games tend be abhored by idiot soccer moms and average over protective parents, though there are quite few christians lumped in there with them.



i know i probably shouldnt have been so harsh on the stereotypical and prejudice aspect i just have a tendency to explode after a while of idiotic peoples opinions and prejudice and rascist i tend to explode on the most minor cases of it. but yes you are right that a majority of the ones that protest against it are Christians that have a tendency to not even read the books or say they read it or read it and judge it harshly although they arent perfect themselves and use that to cover up for insecurity.
529 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 1/5/07
Do video games cause/encourage violence?

No, they do not.
1560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/5/07
of course they dont stupid people who take video games to seriously cause violence
1905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / pwning the world.
Offline
Posted 1/5/07
I think instead of blaming video games & rmusic they should blame the parents..
Its not the game creators fault if little kids think they can float on water and then come back to life from watching a character do it, instead the parents should be there to make sure their kids aren't doing that sorta thing. Or just not let your kids play games before they realize its not reality.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.