First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Academics
Posted 10/6/07 , edited 10/6/07
What do you think is more important: grades, or how much you learn?

I think society (atleast American society) has put too much focus on grades. Colleges look too much on high grades (both past and current) than how much you have learned.

I think acceptance into a college should be based on an interview, and then an entrance exam. Not your grades on the SATs, not your grades in high school. Just who you are now. Rather than looking into your past, the entrance exam would show how much you know now. This way people who haven't gotten good grades their whole lives because they've slacked off can change. People deserve a second chance.

So what do you think? Which is more important?
21114 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
I totally agree with you.
Posted 10/6/07
grades are of the utmost importance. they tell of how much you pay attention and learn and if you get it right.
3405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
Grades are a reflection of how much you learn :D

If you get good grades, you get into AP classes, and then you get even more scholarship money from getting good grades in those.
10149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Home of SeaBiscuit
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
Of course learning an intake the information is more important. However that means jack if you have shitty grades though. So to everyone else grades are the most important thing.

I think its cruel but it does prep you for society. There is no "second chance." You screw up big, more than likely you'll be fired by your employer or dropped from school. There is no safety net and I think its good that we learn that early.

Oh btw, SATs sucks ass.
3099 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / standing behind y...
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
How much you learn is more important because grades can be manipulated these days.
Posted 10/6/07
skygod333:
I don't think that at all. Grades are deceiving. Someone could pay attention and study just as much as any straight A student, but just because they get C's or even B's they don't get accepted into the same colleges? Often times the teachers that give you C's are the ones that are teaching you the most, because you're not getting your usual easy A. What about if you started out the year with D's and C's and then worked your way up to all A's. Colleges only see the GPA, not the gradual change which actually indicates that you're learning.
3405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
You won't get B's or C's if you listen, study, and apply yourself enough.
Posted 10/6/07
Woo, I totally agree with ya, girl : (
10149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Home of SeaBiscuit
Offline
Posted 10/6/07

lumiina wrote:

skygod333:
I don't think that at all. Grades are deceiving. Someone could pay attention and study just as much as any straight A student, but just because they get C's or even B's they don't get accepted into the same colleges? Often times the teachers that give you C's are the ones that are teaching you the most, because you're not getting your usual easy A. What about if you started out the year with D's and C's and then worked your way up to all A's. Colleges only see the GPA, not the gradual change which actually indicates that you're learning.


Thats their fault for slacking. Colleges and most people will have no pity.
Posted 10/6/07
^ That's not slacking. Working your hardest is not slacking. If your studying the most you can, going to extra help, paying attention in class and you start off with C's and D's then work your way up to A's how is that slacking? That's learning!


TollBooth wrote:

That wouldn't work. Grades are unbiased. You get a 70 on a quiz, that is your grade for that quiz, no if ands or buts about it. But if the teachers were to write out an 'Improvement Critique', it could be very heavily biased. Not to mention, it would be too hard for teachers to take note of the improvement of EVERY single student they teach.


That's true, but that doesn't mean there still doesn't need to be a change in the way you look at how much as student has learned.
3405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
Honestly, the way it is now is the best way. Whether you like it or not.
21260 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Somewhere in the...
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
i definitely agree with you, people who seriously want to change deserve a chance. but i think u have contradictng ideas, how will the teachers see how much you've progressed throughout the year without recording your 'grades', right?=) not getting into a prestigious univ. isnt the end of the line. you still have a long way to go...you can still prove yourself that you can be the best in anything that you want to accomplish as long as your dead serious about it
Posted 10/6/07
^ That's true. A lot of people who go to normal universities/colleges can end up with the same careers as the ones who go to prestegious ones.


fenderhawk wrote:

You won't get B's or C's if you listen, study, and apply yourself enough.


That's not true at all. I get moslty B's and some A's, and right now I'm doing the best to learn about what I'm being taught. Every day my powerblocks (study hall) are completely booked because I'm going to extra help. I have usually around four to five hours of homework everyday. I pay attention very well and take notes. I'm applying myself, how do explain that then? I'm sure there are many people trying just as hard as me who get the grades I do.
3405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/6/07

lumiina wrote:


fenderhawk wrote:

You won't get B's or C's if you listen, study, and apply yourself enough.


That's not true at all. I get B's and A's, and right now I'm doing the best to learn about what I'm being taught. Every day my powerblocks (study hall) are completely booked because I'm going to extra help. I have usually around four to five hours of homework everyday. I pay attention very well and take notes. I'm applying myself, how do explain that then? I'm sure there are many people trying just as hard as me who get the grades I do.


So you couldn't try harder? It's not like you HAVE to have a freaking 4.0 to get anywhere today. But if you just get by without really trying, what's that point? I'm trying too. I have study hall, tutors, and a lot of homework all of the time. That's not stopping me. The thing is, you can always, always try harder. But you shouldn't get obsessed.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.