First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Academics
Posted 10/6/07
^ I'm always trying harder.
1088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
without grades and constant reminder the need for improvement will lead to lack of motivation and procastration, thats why you get graded constantly and not with a year end test. Chances are you'll do better with the overall grade than the year end test
9352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
I personally think both are extremely important. The purpose of going to school is to learn after all. Grades are just a concrete sign of your commitment to your learning and a key indicator of your commitment to your teachers. If your not committed to a subject or something your learning, you won't care if you get low grades. This results in you not learning all the required material. The low grades that your receiving is a sign that helps teachers learn that you're currently not committed to your learning, and thus gives them a 'heads up' that they need to be doing something to help you. They both work hand in hand, grades and learning.
10149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Home of SeaBiscuit
Offline
Posted 10/6/07

lumiina wrote:

^ That's not slacking. Working your hardest is not slacking. If your studying the most you can, going to extra help, paying attention in class and you start off with C's and D's then work your way up to A's how is that slacking? That's learning!


TollBooth wrote:

That wouldn't work. Grades are unbiased. You get a 70 on a quiz, that is your grade for that quiz, no if ands or buts about it. But if the teachers were to write out an 'Improvement Critique', it could be very heavily biased. Not to mention, it would be too hard for teachers to take note of the improvement of EVERY single student they teach.


That's true, but that doesn't mean there still doesn't need to be a change in the way you look at how much as student has learned.


If you work hard you'll get B or As. If you still get Cs then that means you're either think your working hard but you're actually not or have horrible horrible study habits.
Posted 10/6/07
yaguang: There's nothing wrong with that, but the grades you have in the past are so looked on that getting bad grades often discourages you, rather than motivates you. If we knew we had a chance to change, I bet a lot of students would do better. Because what they've learned at the end will count more than how much they were struggling to learn it when they began.
10149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Home of SeaBiscuit
Offline
Posted 10/6/07

lumiina wrote:

yaguang: There's nothing wrong with that, but the grades you have in the past are so looked on that getting bad grades often discourages you, rather than motivates you. If we knew we had a chance to change, I bet a lot of students would do better. Because what they've learned at the end will count more than how much they were struggling to learn it when they began.


And thats why colleges don't really look at your freshmen grade. Thats a year of buffer zone. What more can a person need.
Posted 10/6/07
^ But your freshmen year to your junior year you're not learning about the same stuff, you're learning about new stuff each year. So it doesn't matter if they don't look at the freshmen year, because you could be struggling with the new stuff you are learning at the beginning of Junior year, and then finally get it and be doing well with the subjects.
228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Cambridge UK
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
wouldnt work.

Grades are a pritty good representation of how hard you work/ hoe naturally talented you are.

by the system you proposed there would be to much personal bias plus teachers would be under a huge amount of pressure not to mention fear of revenge if you tell some psycho kid he cant go to college.

Grades as they are pre collegue are pritty fair anyway, least where i live, anyone of standard intelligence can get Bs and As if they work hard at it. if you work as hard as you possibly can, pay full attention, take advantage of every extra oppertunity you get to advance your knowledge and still gets Cs and Dc then sorry as much as you may not want to admit it you are thick as lead and prolly not suited for an academic college course.
Posted 10/6/07
^ yea, I agree now that the idea I came up with wouldn't work, because it's very bias. However, I still feel there needs to be a change. I get B's and A's, and my GPA is a little over a 3.0 and if I'm so scared that if I don't understand one of the classes I'm in it'll drop below a 3.0. There's too much unessecary pressure that prevents us from focusing on learning.
10149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Home of SeaBiscuit
Offline
Posted 10/6/07

lumiina wrote:

^ But your freshmen year to your junior year you're not learning about the same stuff, you're learning about new stuff each year. So it doesn't matter if they don't look at the freshmen year, because you could be struggling with the new stuff you are learning at the beginning of Junior year, and then finally get it and be doing well with the subjects.


I know math builds off the previous course. English is the same crap for all 4 years. Language classes build up slowly. History/Econ/Geo are classes that you just need to memorize crap, no skills required. And science courses start from the VERY VERY basic. So it build up slowly. If the person can't handle starting from baby steps, you know its not the class's fault but the persons.
Posted 10/6/07
^ I don't agree they build up. Even with Science we have Biology, then Chem, then Physics which are completely different subjects.

Regardeless of whether we think they build up or not, they deffinently get more challenging throughout each grade. There's nothing wrong with a challenge, but because of the challenge, your grade should drop, unless you're teacher isn't challenging you enough.
12906 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
Grades reflect how much you've learned.

Also, I disagree about taking away grades as a basis of entry into college or university.
The institutes want to make sure that they only accept those who have the appropriate knowledge and skills. They know this through your high school grades from year 11 to 12.
I do agree that they should also look at how much a student has learned/ improved but that alone shouldn't decide if someone can get into college or not.
For example, let's say a college only accepts students with an average of 80-90. The students who can satisfy this standard will have to work hard and make sure they know their material. To do that, of course, they'll need to learn more.


Life is tough, it doesn't matter how much you've learned. What matters is the end result, whether you know what you have to know or you don't.
228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Cambridge UK
Offline
Posted 10/6/07

lumiina wrote:

^ yea, I agree now that the idea I came up with wouldn't work, because it's very bias. However, I still feel there needs to be a change. I get B's and A's, and my GPA is a little over a 3.0 and if I'm so scared that if I don't understand one of the classes I'm in it'll drop below a 3.0. There's too much unnecessary pressure that prevents us from focusing on learning.


But thats half the point of the education system from an employers view. Id be willing to estimate that half the jobs people go into after graduating are not going to require them to use even half of that which they actually learned. Its not just the amount or raw knowledge you acquire but your ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, correct mistakes, deal with tough situations, which are tested, a good grade shows that either you are capable or dealing with all of those and still pushing through and succeeding or that you are so naturally gifted that you can do it all without having to worry. both admirable for any employer.
Posted 10/6/07
^ That's true. Then I change my mind, grades do have signifigance.

^^ Why can't they tell how much you know by giving you an entrance exam, and basing it off that? Then they can tell if you have the appropriate knowledge and skills.
12906 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
If you aren't able to get good grades in high school, I doubt you'll ever pass that entrance exam.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.