First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Academics
105 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / California
Offline
Posted 10/6/07

lumiina wrote:

What do you think is more important: grades, or how much you learn?

I think society (atleast American society) has put too much focus on grades. Colleges look too much on high grades (both past and current) than how much you have learned.

I think acceptance into a college should be based on an interview, and then an entrance exam. Not your grades on the SATs, not your grades in high school. Just who you are now. Rather than looking into your past, the entrance exam would show how much you know now. This way people who haven't gotten good grades their whole lives because they've slacked off can change. People deserve a second chance.

So what do you think? Which is more important?


I think that grades are reflections of what you've learned. However, it shouldn't be used to judge a person entirely. I've known some really intelligent people who are just plain lazy. That doesn't reflect their ability to perform academically. It just shows how good you're at taking tests.
426 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Ireland
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
grades are more important because after you get them, you can forget everything you learned. Most of it is useless anyway. At least i'm honest.
10149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Home of SeaBiscuit
Offline
Posted 10/6/07

ambersjoy wrote:


happyxix wrote:


ambersjoy wrote:

after spending last 19 years studying...i can safely say grades mean shit.you gulp down all your textbooks and notes...study your ass out...and get 90%...simple.but that doesnt anyway mean all those who got 70% are less intelligent than those who got 90%.there can be many reason for their poor performance in the exams...health...stress...depression....lack of motivation....carelessness....etc.but that nowhere proves that they posses any less potential than those who got 90%.its a combined fault of teaching process....evaluation process....lack of understanding from parents...friends...family....and ofcourse...themselvs.the current evaluation process that is in place all ove the world is a big load of crap...it doesnt evaluate intelligence...nor potential...nor capabilities......it only evaluates how they performed in a particular exam.

but having said all that...its not gonna change anytime soon..grades will be there still for a long time unfortunately...so..better suck it up....and study as hard as you can..and get good grades..


That sounds like a person is just looking for excuses why their grades aren't as good as others. All of the reasons up there are mere excuses. Your job isn't going to care about all those things. They expect you to do the work and you have to do it. School is only prepping you for the real world. Its not suddenly going to get easy after school. Good grades shows your determination, ability to absorb the information, maybe a bit of natural talent.


its not an excuse...but my experience of seeing things first hand in few of the premiere institues in the world.....heres an advice...dont accept the things the way they are just because they are the way they are....question them...and THINK....and gain some knowledge before opening that mouth of yours.....now shoooo!!


Wow... you tell me to think when your argument is don't take things as they seem? I'm sorry but I don't believe in the philosophical bullcrap. A rock to me is a rock. I might also be a weapon of choice for some people but don't tell me its a rocket ship thats capable of flying to mars. Surely knowledge with age doesn't show with you.

And how many of these "premiere" colleges have you even been to and studied at. Hell George Bush went to Yale with a C- average, but since his daddy's famous, he can do whatever he wants. But for most people it doesn't work that way.

For a person at Law school, you sure fail at rebuttals, arguments and persuasion.
58645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Boston
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
I've got bad news for a lot of you. Outside of your academic advancement grades will amount to almost nothing in the real world. No one I know in the business world including myself gave GPA a second glance. Most of the people hiring look very quickly to see if you got you BA and what it was in. The school you graduated from might make a slight difference at most. Jobs positions are awarded based almost entirely on interviews, experience, and recommendations.
10149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Home of SeaBiscuit
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
^ But you have to make it thru the academic advancements before getting into the "real world."

Lol and some of the jobs I've seen for engineering requires above a 3.0 or 3.5 GPA. Of course these are entry level jobs, but its still odd seeing a job application requiring your college GPA =\
58645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Boston
Offline
Posted 10/6/07

happyxix wrote:

^ But you have to make it thru the academic advancements before getting into the "real world."

Lol and some of the jobs I've seen for engineering requires above a 3.0 or 3.5 GPA. Of course these are entry level jobs, but its still odd seeing a job application requiring your college GPA =\


I have two college degrees and I'm not using either of them.

As for your example of engineering jobs I pity anyone who ends up working some crap entry level specialized position straight out of college. Whoring yourself out to the man is a very shallow way to go through life.

If it makes a difference I have an engineering degree and am about a half a year short of having my master's degree and already have my ABET-accreditation. I got fed up with all of the crap attached to having a normal job so I quit and decided to become a lazy self-sustaining bum.
10149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Home of SeaBiscuit
Offline
Posted 10/6/07

Hopchow wrote:


happyxix wrote:

^ But you have to make it thru the academic advancements before getting into the "real world."

Lol and some of the jobs I've seen for engineering requires above a 3.0 or 3.5 GPA. Of course these are entry level jobs, but its still odd seeing a job application requiring your college GPA =\


I have two college degrees and I'm not using either of them.

As for your example of engineering jobs I pity anyone who ends up working some crap entry level specialized position straight out of college. Whoring yourself out to the man is a very shallow way to go through life.

If it makes a difference I have an engineering degree and am about a half a year short of having my master's degree and already have my ABET-accreditation. I got fed up with all of the crap attached to having a normal job so I quit and decided to become a lazy self-sustaining bum.


Really? Hmm I was planning to work a year right after school then go back and get my masters. Seeing how an Engineering BS is actually worth something right after college, I'll just get a year in the field then go back to mindless droning grad school work. What do you plan on doing then if you don't mind me asking?
58645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Boston
Offline
Posted 10/6/07

happyxix wrote: What do you plan on doing then if you don't mind me asking?


I work in real estate, mortgages, and personal finance. It's a bit complicated, three companies combined into one LLC.
2099 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Somewhere on eart...
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
well, if you learn a lot, you get good grades (applies to me at least...)... it all leads to grades!
504 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / core of abstract...
Offline
Posted 10/6/07

happyxxwrote:Wow... you tell me to think when your argument is don't take things as they seem? I'm sorry but I don't believe in the philosophical bullcrap. A rock to me is a rock. I might also be a weapon of choice for some people but don't tell me its a rocket ship thats capable of flying to mars. Surely knowledge with age doesn't show with you.

And how many of these "premiere" colleges have you even been to and studied at. Hell George Bush went to Yale with a C- average, but since his daddy's famous, he can do whatever he wants. But for most people it doesn't work that way.

For a person at Law school, you sure fail at rebuttals, arguments and persuasion.




lol...have you ever heard the quote " its better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you are an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt" ? well...guess not...

firstly...i have been an alumnus of cornell university...and currently doing MBA in an institute i have no intention of telling some anonymous person on a public forum who cant even differentiate between a law school and a business school...and no...my dad was never president of USA...and by the looks of things...am glad abt it..

secondly....you have absolutely no fucking clue what are you talking about!!...do you have any idea about grade inflation?? do you know what is the grading system at michigan university and why?...go and read before uttering nonsense....what you are calling a rock might be a diamond covered in dirt.....open your mind and learn to think.....now SCRAM!..
10149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Home of SeaBiscuit
Offline
Posted 10/6/07

ambersjoy wrote:


happyxxwrote:Wow... you tell me to think when your argument is don't take things as they seem? I'm sorry but I don't believe in the philosophical bullcrap. A rock to me is a rock. I might also be a weapon of choice for some people but don't tell me its a rocket ship thats capable of flying to mars. Surely knowledge with age doesn't show with you.

And how many of these "premiere" colleges have you even been to and studied at. Hell George Bush went to Yale with a C- average, but since his daddy's famous, he can do whatever he wants. But for most people it doesn't work that way.

For a person at Law school, you sure fail at rebuttals, arguments and persuasion.




lol...have you ever heard the quote " its better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you are an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt" ? well...guess not...

firstly...i have been an alumnus of cornell university...and currently doing MBA in an institute i have no intention of telling some anonymous person on a public forum who cant even differentiate between a law school and a business school!

secondly....you have absolutely no fucking clue what are you talking about!!...do you have any idea about grade inflation?? do you know what is the grading system at michigan university and why?...go and read before uttering nonsense....what you are calling a rock might be a diamond covered in dirt.....open your mind and learn to think.....now SCRAM!..


The law school part was a misread on my behalf. And SECONDLY, I wasn't asking which school you GRADUATED from. I was asking how many of these "schools" have you actually attended. And Michigan STILL grades like any other college. Subject on administration and the grading policies of UM are totally besides the point. That only shows people with connections are more likely to "succeed." But hey Bush went to Yale right? There are special people in every group.

And yes I have heard of grade inflation. I read about it like by passing. I frankly am un-phased by it. If theres only a certain amount of people that can get certain grades, by all means I don't give a crap. Only the top get rewarded, its understandable. But like Hopchow said, your GPA is meaningless after college (most of the time). And I certainly don't portray myself to be an idiot. You however portray yourself to be an prideful idiot that doesn't see the world around him.

Yes i have holes in this arguement BUT I'm typing this rapidly before I had to run somewhere. So I' might patch them up later.
1769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / the south
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
grades will only get a person so far in life. test scores make a person seem smart academically but wit and well formed opinions make a person seem smart in the real world. in the end, it's imposable to measure a persons true intelligence.

i took the SATs today, and the only thing that taught me was not to drink a 2 bottles of water when you know you wont be able to leave your chair for 2 hours
6787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Zealand/Auckland
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
grades cuz with out grades you wont be able to enter college or uni
3607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Queens, New York...
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
A simple quote by the man known to many as Jay-Z will basically sum up the subject of this entire thread

"Men lie.........Women lie..........Numbers DON'T"
- Jay-Z

With that in mind, grades obviously provide the most importance. Grades set the standard of how much you have learned (or tried to learn).
1686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 10/6/07
I honestly school is easy enough if you sit there, and actually pay attention rather than going home and studying x amount of hours. My grades are decent and I rarely ever study. (Minus Math--god damn dude.)
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.