First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply Favorite Weapon?
9711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Just a kamen ride...
Offline
Posted 7/22/08

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


carlrules097 wrote:

i think if someone comes at you with maybe a pipe or stick the best thing in that situation would be a staff because you can keep the enemy at a distance if you know how to use it


How so? There are many weapons that can be used.
The weapon is irrelevant to the point of the skill of the wielder. One cannot wield a weapon honestly and effectively without dedication to the training of that weapon.
While versatility is something to be desired, it is something to be desired only moderately lest one waste their effort.

There is no "best weapon" for such a situation as the method in which someone uses the weapon and the skill in the use of that method foreshadow the weapon itself.
As I said before, a weapon is a useless tool without the sufficient skill to use it and ALL weapons require skill.



my thinking was just that with the reach of a staff, and of course the knowledge of it, one could keep their body out of harms way, and take down the opponent if need be.
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 7/22/08

carlrules097 wrote:


Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


carlrules097 wrote:

i think if someone comes at you with maybe a pipe or stick the best thing in that situation would be a staff because you can keep the enemy at a distance if you know how to use it


How so? There are many weapons that can be used.
The weapon is irrelevant to the point of the skill of the wielder. One cannot wield a weapon honestly and effectively without dedication to the training of that weapon.
While versatility is something to be desired, it is something to be desired only moderately lest one waste their effort.

There is no "best weapon" for such a situation as the method in which someone uses the weapon and the skill in the use of that method foreshadow the weapon itself.
As I said before, a weapon is a useless tool without the sufficient skill to use it and ALL weapons require skill.



my thinking was just that with the reach of a staff, and of course the knowledge of it, one could keep their body out of harms way, and take down the opponent if need be.


Yes but do not so easily dismiss other weaponry. Reach isn't always the greatest advantage.
9711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Just a kamen ride...
Offline
Posted 7/22/08

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


carlrules097 wrote:


Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


carlrules097 wrote:

i think if someone comes at you with maybe a pipe or stick the best thing in that situation would be a staff because you can keep the enemy at a distance if you know how to use it


How so? There are many weapons that can be used.
The weapon is irrelevant to the point of the skill of the wielder. One cannot wield a weapon honestly and effectively without dedication to the training of that weapon.
While versatility is something to be desired, it is something to be desired only moderately lest one waste their effort.

There is no "best weapon" for such a situation as the method in which someone uses the weapon and the skill in the use of that method foreshadow the weapon itself.
As I said before, a weapon is a useless tool without the sufficient skill to use it and ALL weapons require skill.



my thinking was just that with the reach of a staff, and of course the knowledge of it, one could keep their body out of harms way, and take down the opponent if need be.


Yes but do not so easily dismiss other weaponry. Reach isn't always the greatest advantage.


I know trust me, i found that out the hard way lol, but it to me keeping my body out of the way comes first
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 7/23/08

carlrules097 wrote:
I know trust me, i found that out the hard way lol, but it to me keeping my body out of the way comes first

Good point. However keeping your body away is not always the most strategically minded defensive maneuver.

In Jujutsu I step IN, not giving my opponent enough room to move, pulling him off balance, and grabbing ahold of him all in one fluid movement. From there with a single twist of the hip, no matter how he weighs, and throw him into the ground with 450 lbs of pressure. Or I could choke him in seconds or I could shatter his arm.

Sometimes keeping your body away will end in the opponent attacking you at range. But if you get in close like me, he has no chance in hell.
That is my only question about keeping an opponent at range. I am sure though if you keep the right distance you can beat him if he tries to pull something or throw something at you though.

Member
700 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 8/5/08

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


carlrules097 wrote:
I know trust me, i found that out the hard way lol, but it to me keeping my body out of the way comes first

Good point. However keeping your body away is not always the most strategically minded defensive maneuver.

In Jujutsu I step IN, not giving my opponent enough room to move, pulling him off balance, and grabbing ahold of him all in one fluid movement. From there with a single twist of the hip, no matter how he weighs, and throw him into the ground with 450 lbs of pressure. Or I could choke him in seconds or I could shatter his arm.

Sometimes keeping your body away will end in the opponent attacking you at range. But if you get in close like me, he has no chance in hell.
That is my only question about keeping an opponent at range. I am sure though if you keep the right distance you can beat him if he tries to pull something or throw something at you though.



Some people have said that the safest place to be is to as close to your opponent as possible. of course going in close will be a definite double edged sword for whoever is fighting but if u know what youre doing it owuld be devastating for the opponent,
Member
824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/7/08
the khanjar - having both a practical and decorative meaning
Member
824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/7/08
should i elabortate ? that's the first time that i so freaking active on a forum
Head Moderator
10476 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / I go where Ryu go...
Offline
Posted 8/7/08

marjan007 wrote:

should i elabortate ? that's the first time that i so freaking active on a forum


Yup. You should. And being active is a good thing, you'll make friends.
Member
824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/8/08
then let's begin: the khanjar is the Arabic variant for the Yemenite dagger - jambyah. the khanjar is specific for Omani people (while the jambyah for the Yemenite ). its main features are: a wide, curled up blade sharpened at both sides(this is not only for showing off), the handle is made of silver (mostly) with different decoration depending on region it comes from, the hilt is also made from pretious materials like mother of perls, ivory etc.Nowadays the khanjar serves mostly a decorative purpose, though it still preserves the idea of nobility and elegance of the owner. these daggers are real "beauties" - more information u can find in history of art books with only one condition: to focuse the topic on popular craftmanship from Orient
Head Moderator
10476 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / I go where Ryu go...
Offline
Posted 8/8/08

marjan007 wrote:

then let's begin: the khanjar is the Arabic variant for the Yemenite dagger - jambyah. the khanjar is specific for Omani people (while the jambyah for the Yemenite ). its main features are: a wide, curled up blade sharpened at both sides(this is not only for showing off), the handle is made of silver (mostly) with different decoration depending on region it comes from, the hilt is also made from pretious materials like mother of perls, ivory etc.Nowadays the khanjar serves mostly a decorative purpose, though it still preserves the idea of nobility and elegance of the owner. these daggers are real "beauties" - more information u can find in history of art books with only one condition: to focuse the topic on popular craftmanship from Orient


I have a (wallhanger) khanjar actually. A cousin from Dubai (also travelled in saudi for a bit) brought one back for me. Its not a real one, probably just a manufactured souvenir, but it sure is pretty.
Member
748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Pico Mundo
Offline
Posted 8/8/08


My favorite weapon is a sabre. It's mainly used for slashing and is more effective on a horse. It was used by armies of the 19th and early 20th century. Now ,they are not intended for use as weapons, however, and now serve primarily in ornamental or ceremonial functions by some modern armies.
Member
824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/8/08

Macedonian wrote:


marjan007 wrote:

then let's begin: the khanjar is the Arabic variant for the Yemenite dagger - jambyah. the khanjar is specific for Omani people (while the jambyah for the Yemenite ). its main features are: a wide, curled up blade sharpened at both sides(this is not only for showing off), the handle is made of silver (mostly) with different decoration depending on region it comes from, the hilt is also made from pretious materials like mother of perls, ivory etc.Nowadays the khanjar serves mostly a decorative purpose, though it still preserves the idea of nobility and elegance of the owner. these daggers are real "beauties" - more information u can find in history of art books with only one condition: to focuse the topic on popular craftmanship from Orient


I have a (wallhanger) khanjar actually. A cousin from Dubai (also travelled in saudi for a bit) brought one back for me. Its not a real one, probably just a manufactured souvenir, but it sure is pretty.



well i found exquisite pictures on the internet. this is one of my favourites . it is a real "gem"
Moderator
6618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/8/08

foreverodd21 wrote:



My favorite weapon is a sabre. It's mainly used for slashing and is more effective on a horse. It was used by armies of the 19th and early 20th century. Now ,they are not intended for use as weapons, however, and now serve primarily in ornamental or ceremonial functions by some modern armies.


awww that looks so sweet. nice sabres are okay in my books
Moderator
6618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/8/08
I don't have the opportunity to take classes on these things . I would. I mean I wanna take archery the most because I dig it so much! There aren't those kind of classes in this area. all of them, the closest I could be able to find is karate. And thats it. but i'm not a karate person i guess. I'm to scared to take it because I don't like to be around people in that kind of atmosphere. I don't have a good view of karate and I think its because of where I live. I would love to take archery if I could.
Moderator
6618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/8/08
I like broadswords too. Katanas are so popular that I don't think I should try to make it a favourite weapon. I love them though! Being different is good. :D, but not too different to the point where we have different interests.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.