Pascals Wager
8000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M / california
Offline
Posted 4/8/08 , edited 4/18/08
I tried reading this...no I really tried but I keep losing focus after the 3rd sentence
2769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Monterey
Offline
Posted 4/8/08 , edited 4/18/08
in my opinion. that is cowardice.

i do not wish to believe or follow any god(s) that would rather have me cowering at their feet than having opinions learned through experience of living without real proof of their existence or even divinity..

i will live life as i see it fit.. and will not cower before the gods, for if i am their creation, then to fear them would only mean that i have failed them.. further more.. i will definitely not follow any gods that would make me suffer an eternity because my less than 100 years of human-life was not to their liking... a god of punishment is not my god and has no claim to my life.

one question though. which religion should we wager on? (if it even suggested any, kuz i mean.. come on.. even if we bet on one religion, we have like a 1 out XX chance of getting it right)

about me: i am agnostic. and would love it if Athena actually existed /sigh

9896 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / LI, NY
Offline
Posted 4/9/08 , edited 4/18/08

paperback wrote:

in my opinion. that is cowardice.

i do not wish to believe or follow any god(s) that would rather have me cowering at their feet than having opinions learned through experience of living without real proof of their existence or even divinity..

i will live life as i see it fit.. and will not cower before the gods, for if i am their creation, then to fear them would only mean that i have failed them.. further more.. i will definitely not follow any gods that would make me suffer an eternity because my less than 100 years of human-life was not to their liking... a god of punishment is not my god and has no claim to my life.

one question though. which religion should we wager on? (if it even suggested any, kuz i mean.. come on.. even if we bet on one religion, we have like a 1 out XX chance of getting it right)

about me: i am agnostic. and would love it if Athena actually existed /sigh



IAWT

Also, even coming from religion, I believe we can't truly define the divine, we can only translate it and pick it apart to the comprehension a mortal can understand and want to believe in. I think that if there is an all encompassing god, then they make as much sense to our human brains as 42 being the answer to life, the universe and everything.

That being said, if you like Athena: http://kyrene.4t.com/intro.html.
402 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Gotham
Offline
Posted 4/9/08 , edited 4/18/08
I disagree with Pascal's Wager. First, you can not just believe. There is no way to force yourself to actually change your faith in something on a whim. If you do try this then that would be false faith and God may punish this more than lack of faith.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 4/9/08 , edited 4/18/08
Wouldn't being religious "just in case" not really count as being religious? Wouldn't God or whoever think "well since you were just doing it as a safety net and you weren't really devoted to me, I'm not going to let you in."? And how are we non-believers supposed to know which religion has the highest chance of being "real?"
3769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 4/10/08 , edited 4/18/08

AHTL wrote:

Sounds like a wager doomed to fail. Besides, if it turned out that gods/goddesses do in fact exist, wouldn't that mean that the major religions are right after all? Meaning, that if you're agnostic/atheist, live a proper & good life, you'll come to the ... Muslim heaven, because coming to their heaven doesn't necessarily require faith in God/Allah, but that you live a good life with respect for other people.


Well in the same respect, isn't it possible that you could lead a knowingly sinful life without regret, because god is forgiving, and at the end of your days if you seek forgiveness it shall be granted? Organized religion in my opinion is flawed, because it is created by man. Faith should be something that you find and believe in to satisfy your own needs, not the needs of the church.
Ghost Moderator
AHTL 
87723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 4/10/08 , edited 4/18/08
Sounds like a wager doomed to fail. Besides, if it turned out that gods/goddesses do in fact exist, wouldn't that mean that the major religions are right after all? Meaning, that if you're agnostic/atheist, live a proper & good life, you'll come to the ... Muslim heaven, because coming to their heaven doesn't necessarily require faith in God/Allah, but that you live a good life with respect for other people.
Ghost Moderator
AHTL 
87723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 4/10/08 , edited 4/18/08

memphit wrote:


AHTL wrote:

Sounds like a wager doomed to fail. Besides, if it turned out that gods/goddesses do in fact exist, wouldn't that mean that the major religions are right after all? Meaning, that if you're agnostic/atheist, live a proper & good life, you'll come to the ... Muslim heaven, because coming to their heaven doesn't necessarily require faith in God/Allah, but that you live a good life with respect for other people.


Well in the same respect, isn't it possible that you could lead a knowingly sinful life without regret, because god is forgiving, and at the end of your days if you seek forgiveness it shall be granted? Organized religion in my opinion is flawed, because it is created by man. Faith should be something that you find and believe in to satisfy your own needs, not the needs of the church.


Well seems like we're thinking alike on the faith part. I don't remember exact, but I seem to recall that living a sinful life and then beg for forgiveness when you're dead won't work, because you've intentionally lead a sinful life, and are just trying to cheat your way into paradise. It would also defeat the purpose of being nice at all, making Earth Hell v.2
70633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 4/11/08 , edited 4/18/08

magnus102 wrote:

I have recently been thinking about Pascal's Wager. For those who are unaware it is the argument that while we can not know if there is a god it is more logical to just be a believer anyway. This conclusion is based around the premise that by believing in a religion we have everything to gain (heaven) and nothing to lose in this life if religion turns out to be incorrect.


When he died he woke up on a fluffy cloud surrounded by angels holding nasty-looking sticks and one of them said, "We're going to show you what we think of Mr Clever Dick in these parts..."

[/stealing from Pratchett]

This Wager seems to ignore the basic premise of belief you can't just say "I believe". You actually have to believe or it doesn't count. Unless you become catholic on your deathbed and confess your sins... or do they not let you do that any more?
Posted 7/29/08
34529 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / F / Undisclosed Location
Offline
Posted 7/16/09
OP gone.

Locked.
You must be logged in to post.