First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Atheists and Agnostics Thread
1490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/12/07
How in the world can you be an atheist and be respectful of others' religions? That is a completely invalid statement. If you are among the people who use reason and evidence (atheist) rather than fantasy and hopeful thinking (theist) to define your world, you would not be respectful of something you know is wrong. These just do not go together. These kinds of people are confused, not atheist.
Interesting enough that people that do not have faith have been branded as "atheists", it makes it sound like it's a religion of not believing in god rather than a default state of human consciousness.
3229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/12/07

anvoice wrote:

How in the world can you be an atheist and be respectful of others' religions? That is a completely invalid statement. If you are among the people who use reason and evidence (atheist) rather than fantasy and hopeful thinking (theist) to define your world, you would not be respectful of something you know is wrong. These just do not go together. These kinds of people are confused, not atheist.
Interesting enough that people that do not have faith have been branded as "atheists", it makes it sound like it's a religion of not believing in god rather than a default state of human consciousness.


Wow, you really don't grasp the concept of atheism. If an Atheist is respectful or disrespectful depends on the individual.
13606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Wales
Offline
Posted 10/12/07
This reminds me of the time when in the chatrooms, I witnessed a 1 christian defence against 6 or more atheists. It was like a slaughter o.o but the christian did very well!!

What annoyed me was that the atheists couldn't just accept that the christian had beliefs, and were telling him he was wrong.

I'm an Atheist, and for myself, personally, I believe Atheism is just a way of being lazy ^_^ for myself. It's also a way for me not to care, because I just don't.

There are more important things about, real things, material things, with evidence, than arguing 'what to believe', 'how the earth was created' and all the other crap that spews out of peopls mouths. Sure, it's interesting to know, but who really cares?

People come up to me on the street and say to me 'Do you know God loves you?'. The first time, I stopped and said I was an Atheist, and I had no reason to believe. And when she tried to explain that God was ok with that, and that he'll love me and forgive me for my sins, I found myself getting angry, and ranting on at her about how one of my close friends, who's family is strongly Christian, how her mother developed a brain hemorrage, and was left in a vegetative state. The woman then told me it was gods will, and that it's his plan. She didn't have to see the pain on my friends face, and she didn't go to the funeral, and witness how much grief my friends family had suffered.

If that is gods will, then god can go to hell. (Paradox?)

Everytime I am stopped now, I just say 'Oh, that's nice' and carry on. Or sometimes even 'I don't care', and I stick to that statement until they burst into tears or leave me alone.
4158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Migar, Spira
Offline
Posted 10/12/07

hatepainlove999 wrote:

Im an Atheists cause i dont believe theres a god that is watching us cause if he did he would have done something to help humanity out and we wouldnt be as fucked up as we are now.


so ture!
Anime=kami-san
2925 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bristol UK
Offline
Posted 10/12/07
i am an atheist cos i don't belive religious teachings improve our society as effectively as every one being atheist
3229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/12/07

Josey wrote:

This reminds me of the time when in the chatrooms, I witnessed a 1 christian defence against 6 or more atheists. It was like a slaughter o.o but the christian did very well!!

What annoyed me was that the atheists couldn't just accept the the christian had beliefs, and we telling him he was wrong.

I'm an Atheist, and for myself, personally, I believe Atheism is just a way of being lazy ^_^ for myself. It's also a way for me not to care, because I just don't.

There are more important things about, real things, material things, with evidence, than arguing 'what to believe', 'how the earth was created' and all the other crap that spews out of peopls mouths. Sure, it's interesting to know, but who really cares?

People come up to me on the street and say to me 'Do you know God loves you?'. The first time, I stopped and said I was an Atheist, and I had no reason to believe. And when she tried to explain that God was ok with that, and that he'll love me and forgive me for my sins, I found myself getting angry, and ranting on at her about how one of my close friends, who's family is strongly Christian, how her mother developed a brain hemorrage, and was left in a vegetative state. The woman then told me it was gods will, and that it's his plan. She didn't have to see the pain on my friends face, and she didn't go to the funeral, and witness how much grief my friends family had suffered.

If that is gods will, then god can go to hell. (Paradox?)

Everytime I am stopped now, I just say 'Oh, that's nice' and carry on. Or sometimes even 'I don't care', and I stick to that statement until they burst into tears or leave me alone.


Ya just keep an open mind. There are many Christians who respect atheists decision. If I had to guess, I would say that there are a higher percentage of Christians who respect Atheist's.
2357 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Peru (at last here)
Offline
Posted 10/12/07
i dun think atheist and agnostics even resemble.... they're different in so many ways... myself is an agnostic (very proud) but i respect and try to understand every religion i come across with... it's afterall just a believe... but everyone has the choice in what to believe... i can't say there is a god (specially looking at the reality as it is now) but there's no way i'd say "THERE CAN'T BE A GOD" becuz i'm not sure of that either... anyways the first post of this seems rather useless to me and should be locked
8715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 10/12/07




Josey wrote:

This reminds me of the time when in the chatrooms, I witnessed a 1 christian defence against 6 or more atheists. It was like a slaughter o.o but the christian did very well!!

What annoyed me was that the atheists couldn't just accept the the christian had beliefs, and we telling him he was wrong.

I'm an Atheist, and for myself, personally, I believe Atheism is just a way of being lazy ^_^ for myself. It's also a way for me not to care, because I just don't.

There are more important things about, real things, material things, with evidence, than arguing 'what to believe', 'how the earth was created' and all the other crap that spews out of peopls mouths. Sure, it's interesting to know, but who really cares?

People come up to me on the street and say to me 'Do you know God loves you?'. The first time, I stopped and said I was an Atheist, and I had no reason to believe. And when she tried to explain that God was ok with that, and that he'll love me and forgive me for my sins, I found myself getting angry, and ranting on at her about how one of my close friends, who's family is strongly Christian, how her mother developed a brain hemorrage, and was left in a vegetative state. The woman then told me it was gods will, and that it's his plan. She didn't have to see the pain on my friends face, and she didn't go to the funeral, and witness how much grief my friends family had suffered.

If that is gods will, then god can go to hell. (Paradox?)

Everytime I am stopped now, I just say 'Oh, that's nice' and carry on. Or sometimes even 'I don't care', and I stick to that statement until they burst into tears or leave me alone.


Oh my.... talk about rude Christians. "It was God's will ---- died." How could any TRUE christian say such a thing? That's just sooo fucking cruel of a thing to say, I mean really now... she's probably implying that the woman was a BAD christian, and she sinned like a manwoman, or something. God damn, Josey, if I were you, I'd have slapped the bitch. But I guess Josey is more calm of a person than I am :3.


princessRyoko wrote:


hatepainlove999 wrote:

Im an Atheists cause i dont believe theres a god that is watching us cause if he did he would have done something to help humanity out and we wouldnt be as fucked up as we are now.


so ture!
Anime=kami-san


Japanese = Kami-sama
Anime =/= A language
3229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/12/07

estimulation wrote:

i dun think atheist and agnostics even resemble.... they're different in so many ways... myself is an agnostic (very proud) but i respect and try to understand every religion i come across with... it's afterall just a believe... but everyone has the choice in what to believe... i can't say there is a god (specially looking at the reality as it is now) but there's no way i'd say "THERE CAN'T BE A GOD" becuz i'm not sure of that either... anyways the first post of this seems rather useless to me and should be locked


They are similar in that they have no religion. Thats about it.
1490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/12/07

openmindedatheist wrote:


anvoice wrote:

How in the world can you be an atheist and be respectful of others' religions? That is a completely invalid statement. If you are among the people who use reason and evidence (atheist) rather than fantasy and hopeful thinking (theist) to define your world, you would not be respectful of something you know is wrong. These just do not go together. These kinds of people are confused, not atheist.
Interesting enough that people that do not have faith have been branded as "atheists", it makes it sound like it's a religion of not believing in god rather than a default state of human consciousness.


Wow, you really don't grasp the concept of atheism. If an Atheist is respectful or disrespectful depends on the individual.


Not really, I believe you are not thinking into anything beyond the surface, hence you make weak statements such as this. I think very carefully about what I say, so saying "you really don't grasp" something to me is laughable. Besides, you just criticized me without offering any evidence or backup statements.

3229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/12/07

anvoice wrote:


openmindedatheist wrote:


anvoice wrote:

How in the world can you be an atheist and be respectful of others' religions? That is a completely invalid statement. If you are among the people who use reason and evidence (atheist) rather than fantasy and hopeful thinking (theist) to define your world, you would not be respectful of something you know is wrong. These just do not go together. These kinds of people are confused, not atheist.
Interesting enough that people that do not have faith have been branded as "atheists", it makes it sound like it's a religion of not believing in god rather than a default state of human consciousness.


Wow, you really don't grasp the concept of atheism. If an Atheist is respectful or disrespectful depends on the individual.


Not really, I believe you are not thinking into anything beyond the surface, hence you make weak statements such as this. I think very carefully about what I say, so saying "you really don't grasp" something to me is laughable. Besides, you just criticized me without offering any evidence or backup statements.



So i need evidence that I respect other peoples religions? I admit that I do.
3229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/12/07
By the way I meant no criticism. I guess when you stand back and look at it, it does look that way.
1490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/12/07
Please learn to read. What I meant is that you said I did not grasp something and left it at that. If you want to discuss how I am wrong, explain more clearly (hint: you are wrong because *intelligent supporting statement*).
3229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/12/07

anvoice wrote:

Please learn to read. What I meant is that you said I did not grasp something and left it at that. If you want to discuss how I am wrong, explain more clearly (hint: you are wrong because *intelligent supporting statement*).


It just looks like you are saying that people of different beliefs can't respect each other.
Posted 10/12/07
Think I'll skip this one... too in depth for me...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.