First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
Misuse of the English language
23685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 10/14/07
Oh yeah!! They go like 'Lawl'. I mean if you're saying that to make fun of it, it's fine, because I like to make fun of people *sneer*

But to actually put that into actual, normal, friend to friend convos that's gross! They used to have you're so 'wols'. I'm like what?

WOLS, you know 'w o l s'.

no.

SLOW!



I have a friend who insists on calling Cafe 'Caf' and Honour 'Hor-ner'
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/14/07
^^ I am talking about a person who instead of laughing in real life discussions chooses to say 'l o l' and they do it constantly. Before you know it, people will use all sorts of internet speak face to face. I am sorry but that deserves a punch in the face.
27417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Hayward, CA - OR...
Offline
Posted 10/14/07

Gev wrote:

Well , i have this pet peeve see. Its people who say words incorrectly , or use the wrong words in an old saying.

For example : Saying the word "can" but instead of saying can , you say "Ken". As far as i`m concerned, that warrants a punch in the dick .

You see "ken" is actually a word itself , and it means : to understand , wich you obviously don`t .

" Pillow" is not pronounced "pellow" , "milk" is not " melk" and "roof" is not "rough".

And another thing , some of our commonly used sayings are being defiled .

It is "FLIPPING the bird " not " FLICKING the bird "

Its " BAND together " Not " BAN together "

Using the wrong word doesn't stop there , There are many who use "there " in place of "their" , or "then" in place of "than".

Did none of you ever have an English class?


Oh, and Ebonics . How I hate Ebonics .
Newsflash , Ebonics is not a dialect , its laziness .

Now , don`t get me wrong , I`m not racist , but , If you want to be taken seriously , then speak correctly . Its your choice , you can either speak in a way that makes you sound intelligent in say , a job interview. Or, you can leave the interviewer thinking you " just another dumb nigger" .

Now, I`m not trying to get you t make sure your typing is flawless , without a single spelling error , or a few missed letters or punctuation marks . I just want you to take the time to think about what you are saying, or typing .

Anyone want to add, or dispute anything?

edit: ~note this is directed at the American users , I am aware that many of you live in different , non-English speaking countries and do not have as good a grasp on the language as many of us would like .


Way to go man! Whoot! I'm an IB student(classes that are harder than AP) and it freaking pisses me off when people can't use proper gramar!
Posted 10/14/07

Hawkeyemash87 wrote:

Personally , I really don't care how people type or spell things. But, I do understand were you are coming from. It can be hard to understand some people when they spell words wrong , or use things like "LOL" or "idk" too much. I know I used simple examples but, there are some people I know who can make a full paragraph with just letters like that. If I can understand them it's not bad but , it can become way to out of hand ,and it needs to be toned down a bit.

The " their" and "there" may not be thier fault . I know a lot of people have had problems with that growing up, and some of them had some mental handicaps ,but there is nothing wrong with them. They just have some problems when it comes to spelling and reading. I don't think it should bother you that much , but I understand what you are saying. For example: when it comes to the stupid alphabet soup like "lol" and "idk" that can become annoying.

But remember this isn’t a business interview . It is a friendly discussion board .So you shouldn’t worry about how people think here. It’s more importent to make sure you know when and where it is important to talk that way ,and when it isn’t.

I probably even screwed up a few whens, weres, theres,and theirs myself in this post, but oh well , I don't really care to much about it.


Fixed, cause I`m a dick
Posted 10/14/07

yuuki_tenshi wrote:

Way to go man! Whoot! I'm an IB student(classes that are harder than AP) and it freaking pisses me off when people can't use proper gramar!


So, you're saying that you're: IB = I'm Better








Anyway, I'm not a native speaker of the English language. I have trouble using the words laying and lying and lose and loose.

If you watch killar's Attention Please, some of his "your" are suppose to be "you're." But I still get the complete message. ^_^ Aya Ueto!!!!! rawwwwrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted 10/14/07
Personally I type how i want if i choose not to use capital letters, or correct punctuaction then that is my choice! I agree that it annoys me when people typle like this "hElLo iM sTuPiD" but i then just ignore them, theyre normally just young kids going through the "I think im cool coz i type like an idiot" stage...but personally I think that using the argument that those who choose to write coz instead of because etc. are stupid is wrong. Im am certainly not stupid and know how to use grammer, punctuation, correct spelling etc when its needed eg. essays, applications and interviews; but i have no problem at all with shortening my words. After all you should remember that you are on an anime/drama site not an education website so have a bit of tolerance, and is it really worth getting so stressed out over the way other people type you need to start a whole new thread?...if it bothers you that much just dont read their posts. Problem solved. Because after all it we really want to get picky then I could always bring up the American English vs British English debate.....its colour not color...and im sure everyone could argue for hours over that

...lighten up, its crunchyroll for godsake

....ok my rants over lol
3229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/14/07
Wha da fuk ya takin bout Gev. My nigga.
12887 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Through the looki...
Offline
Posted 10/14/07
IB = NOBODY FUCKING CARES AND GET THE FUCK OVER YOURSELF BECAUSE NOBODY NEEDS TO KNOW!

Yeah, I know about the caps and all, but seriously...Have a fucking clue and try not to use passive means to show superiority...It is one of many things that people can do to anger me...
32541 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/14/07
When I was reading the posts in this thread, the topic was overall very familiar to me. This really isn't anything new and I think there will always be people who type incorrectly even if they are highly competent with the english language. In fact, some people make the errors purposely because they are lazy and assume people understand what they are saying or maybe it is a way of getting on people's nerves. For myself, I've just learned to get used to it and just read whatever I am capable of and just ignore the ones I can't.

Besides, I think the ones who really have something worth while to say type properly anyways so it just kind of filters out the ones who have nothing relevant to say.
18981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 10/14/07

sheighton wrote:
There are things called "regional accents"


I'm from Pittsburgh and that accent drives me damn near insane. So many people in my family say 'sammich' instead of 'sandwich,' 'Stillers' instead of 'Steelers,' 'worsh' instead of 'wash,' etc.


mauz15 wrote:

I have heard people say 'lol' in an actual conversation. It makes me want to punch them in the face. Just laugh you idiot Grrrr! >_>

What the hell. People actually say that out loud? What's wrong with them?
23685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 10/14/07
I also skim through stuff put in a long paragraph. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
12887 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Through the looki...
Offline
Posted 10/14/07
^ Exactly the reason I tend to break my paragraphs up on forums... People on forums usually have about the attention span of a ferret on crystal meth...
21114 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/14/07
Does grammar count too? I mean..I seriously hate it when people go.."Me and she went eating on Friday~!"..does it bother you too?
Posted 10/14/07
^^ There should be a double space when people starts to write in long paragraphs. It makes me dizzy and skip sentences, which makes me don't understand anything at all. Well, I managed to read Linkx's long post in 12 Deadly Sins of CR Game.
Posted 10/14/07

Faeleia wrote:

I also skim through stuff put in a long paragraph. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^


I call that "textual vomit"
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.