First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
8-year-old girl asks for divorce in court
Posted 4/12/08 , edited 4/15/08
http://yementimes.com/article.shtml?i=1145&p=front&a=2


SANA’A, April 9 - An eight-year-old girl decided last week to go the Sana’a West Court to prosecute her father, who forced her to marry a 30-year-old man.

Nojoud Muhammed Nasser arrived at court by herself on Wednesday, April 2, looking for a judge to handle her case against her father, Muhammed Nasser, who forced her two months ago to marry Faez Ali Thamer, a man 22 years her senior. The child also asked for a divorce, accusing her husband of sexual and domestic abuse.

According to Yemeni law, Nojoud cannot prosecute, as she is underage. However, court judge Muhammed Al-Qathi heard her complaint and subsequently ordered the arrests of both her father and husband.

“My father beat me and told me that I must marry this man, and if I did not, I would be raped and no law and no sheikh in this country would help me. I refused but I couldn’t stop the marriage,” Nojoud Nasser told the Yemen Times. “I asked and begged my mother, father, and aunt to help me to get divorced. They answered, ‘We can do nothing. If you want you can go to court by yourself.’ So this is what I have done,” she said.

Nasser said that she was exposed to sexual abuse and domestic violence by her husband. “He used to do bad things to me, and I had no idea as to what a marriage is. I would run from one room to another in order to escape, but in the end he would catch me and beat me and then continued to do what he wanted. I cried so much but no one listened to me. One day I ran away from him and came to the court and talked to them.”

...

Shatha Ali Nasser confirmed that item number 15 in Yemeni civil law reads that “no girl or boy can get married before the age of 15." However, this item was amended in 1998 so parents could make a contract of marriage between their children even if they are under the age of 15. But the husband cannot be intimate with her until she is ready or mature,” said Nasser.“This law is highly dangerous because it brings an end to a young girl’s happiness and future fruitful life. Nojoud did not get married, but she was raped by a 30-year old man.”

Nasser confirmed that Nojoud Nasser’s case is not the first of its kind in Yemen, but it is the first time that a girl went to court by herself to ask for a divorce.


That's awesome. How many 8 year-olds do you know who would take things into their own hands like this, especially after having been abused this way?



UPDATE

To all the doubters out there, her marriage has been nullified:

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSL1515757520080415


SANAA (Reuters) - A Yemeni court ordered the marriage of an eight-year-old girl terminated on Tuesday because she had not reached puberty.

The court also ordered the child's family to pay about $250 in compensation to the 30-year-old ex-husband.


I don't see why the abuser deserves any compensation though. My guess is that he probably paid the crackhead father $250 for the daughter.
19849 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
69 / M / Limbo
Offline
Posted 4/12/08 , edited 4/12/08
Thats... cool...

edit. Memphit, I was seriously considering typing that...
3769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 4/12/08

shibole wrote:

http://yementimes.com/article.shtml?i=1145&p=front&a=2


SANA’A, April 9 - An eight-year-old girl decided last week to go the Sana’a West Court to prosecute her father, who forced her to marry a 30-year-old man.

Nojoud Muhammed Nasser arrived at court by herself on Wednesday, April 2, looking for a judge to handle her case against her father, Muhammed Nasser, who forced her two months ago to marry Faez Ali Thamer, a man 22 years her senior. The child also asked for a divorce, accusing her husband of sexual and domestic abuse.

According to Yemeni law, Nojoud cannot prosecute, as she is underage. However, court judge Muhammed Al-Qathi heard her complaint and subsequently ordered the arrests of both her father and husband.

“My father beat me and told me that I must marry this man, and if I did not, I would be raped and no law and no sheikh in this country would help me. I refused but I couldn’t stop the marriage,” Nojoud Nasser told the Yemen Times. “I asked and begged my mother, father, and aunt to help me to get divorced. They answered, ‘We can do nothing. If you want you can go to court by yourself.’ So this is what I have done,” she said.

Nasser said that she was exposed to sexual abuse and domestic violence by her husband. “He used to do bad things to me, and I had no idea as to what a marriage is. I would run from one room to another in order to escape, but in the end he would catch me and beat me and then continued to do what he wanted. I cried so much but no one listened to me. One day I ran away from him and came to the court and talked to them.”

...

Shatha Ali Nasser confirmed that item number 15 in Yemeni civil law reads that “no girl or boy can get married before the age of 15." However, this item was amended in 1998 so parents could make a contract of marriage between their children even if they are under the age of 15. But the husband cannot be intimate with her until she is ready or mature,” said Nasser.“This law is highly dangerous because it brings an end to a young girl’s happiness and future fruitful life. Nojoud did not get married, but she was raped by a 30-year old man.”

Nasser confirmed that Nojoud Nasser’s case is not the first of its kind in Yemen, but it is the first time that a girl went to court by herself to ask for a divorce.


That's awesome. How many 8 year-olds do you know who would take things into their own hands like this, especially after having been abused this way?


Shes gunna get stoned.
145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / San Diego/San Jose
Offline
Posted 4/12/08 , edited 4/12/08
pretty legit. But what are you going to do in that country?
that just plain suckles...
2847 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / F
Offline
Posted 4/12/08 , edited 4/12/08

memphit wrote:
Shes gunna get stoned.


ROFL.
3769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 4/12/08 , edited 4/12/08

DRO1 wrote:

Thats... cool...

edit. Memphit, I was seriously considering typing that...


You shouldve, I'm just saying what every single male muslim is thinking.
3769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 4/12/08 , edited 4/12/08

namezox wrote:


memphit wrote:
Shes gunna get stoned.


ROFL.


Either that or her dad now owes that dude like 100 heads of camel for disgracing his family like that.
26342 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Stamford, CT
Offline
Posted 4/12/08 , edited 4/12/08
very sad.....marrying an 8-year old girl!! that's just sickening!!

judging from her apperance...I'm assuming she's of the muslim culture.....what are they doing over there!!! how could her father approve this marriage???

I bet all the pedophiles in the world would move to the middle east after hearing this!
22734 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 4/12/08 , edited 4/12/08
woody?
875 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / SC USA
Offline
Posted 4/12/08 , edited 4/12/08
Wow!!!! I'm proud of her and i don't even know her!!! I hope she finds a loving support system to nurture the courage that she has at such a young age. I think we should all learn something from her, i know i sure did!!!
16044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / S1NGAPURA
Offline
Posted 4/12/08 , edited 4/12/08

memphit wrote:


shibole wrote:

http://yementimes.com/article.shtml?i=1145&p=front&a=2


SANA’A, April 9 - An eight-year-old girl decided last week to go the Sana’a West Court to prosecute her father, who forced her to marry a 30-year-old man.

Nojoud Muhammed Nasser arrived at court by herself on Wednesday, April 2, looking for a judge to handle her case against her father, Muhammed Nasser, who forced her two months ago to marry Faez Ali Thamer, a man 22 years her senior. The child also asked for a divorce, accusing her husband of sexual and domestic abuse.

According to Yemeni law, Nojoud cannot prosecute, as she is underage. However, court judge Muhammed Al-Qathi heard her complaint and subsequently ordered the arrests of both her father and husband.

“My father beat me and told me that I must marry this man, and if I did not, I would be raped and no law and no sheikh in this country would help me. I refused but I couldn’t stop the marriage,” Nojoud Nasser told the Yemen Times. “I asked and begged my mother, father, and aunt to help me to get divorced. They answered, ‘We can do nothing. If you want you can go to court by yourself.’ So this is what I have done,” she said.

Nasser said that she was exposed to sexual abuse and domestic violence by her husband. “He used to do bad things to me, and I had no idea as to what a marriage is. I would run from one room to another in order to escape, but in the end he would catch me and beat me and then continued to do what he wanted. I cried so much but no one listened to me. One day I ran away from him and came to the court and talked to them.”

...

Shatha Ali Nasser confirmed that item number 15 in Yemeni civil law reads that “no girl or boy can get married before the age of 15." However, this item was amended in 1998 so parents could make a contract of marriage between their children even if they are under the age of 15. But the husband cannot be intimate with her until she is ready or mature,” said Nasser.“This law is highly dangerous because it brings an end to a young girl’s happiness and future fruitful life. Nojoud did not get married, but she was raped by a 30-year old man.”

Nasser confirmed that Nojoud Nasser’s case is not the first of its kind in Yemen, but it is the first time that a girl went to court by herself to ask for a divorce.


That's awesome. How many 8 year-olds do you know who would take things into their own hands like this, especially after having been abused this way?


Shes gunna get stoned.



lol... no such thing...unless the people there are
3769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 4/12/08 , edited 4/12/08

archeriko wrote:


memphit wrote:


shibole wrote:

http://yementimes.com/article.shtml?i=1145&p=front&a=2


SANA’A, April 9 - An eight-year-old girl decided last week to go the Sana’a West Court to prosecute her father, who forced her to marry a 30-year-old man.

Nojoud Muhammed Nasser arrived at court by herself on Wednesday, April 2, looking for a judge to handle her case against her father, Muhammed Nasser, who forced her two months ago to marry Faez Ali Thamer, a man 22 years her senior. The child also asked for a divorce, accusing her husband of sexual and domestic abuse.

According to Yemeni law, Nojoud cannot prosecute, as she is underage. However, court judge Muhammed Al-Qathi heard her complaint and subsequently ordered the arrests of both her father and husband.

“My father beat me and told me that I must marry this man, and if I did not, I would be raped and no law and no sheikh in this country would help me. I refused but I couldn’t stop the marriage,” Nojoud Nasser told the Yemen Times. “I asked and begged my mother, father, and aunt to help me to get divorced. They answered, ‘We can do nothing. If you want you can go to court by yourself.’ So this is what I have done,” she said.

Nasser said that she was exposed to sexual abuse and domestic violence by her husband. “He used to do bad things to me, and I had no idea as to what a marriage is. I would run from one room to another in order to escape, but in the end he would catch me and beat me and then continued to do what he wanted. I cried so much but no one listened to me. One day I ran away from him and came to the court and talked to them.”

...

Shatha Ali Nasser confirmed that item number 15 in Yemeni civil law reads that “no girl or boy can get married before the age of 15." However, this item was amended in 1998 so parents could make a contract of marriage between their children even if they are under the age of 15. But the husband cannot be intimate with her until she is ready or mature,” said Nasser.“This law is highly dangerous because it brings an end to a young girl’s happiness and future fruitful life. Nojoud did not get married, but she was raped by a 30-year old man.”

Nasser confirmed that Nojoud Nasser’s case is not the first of its kind in Yemen, but it is the first time that a girl went to court by herself to ask for a divorce.


That's awesome. How many 8 year-olds do you know who would take things into their own hands like this, especially after having been abused this way?


Shes gunna get stoned.



lol... no such thing...unless the people there are


Say what you want, SHE FINNA TAKE A ROCK TO THE FACE.
8889 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 4/12/08
just what kind of invironment is around her........stupid father
2847 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / F
Offline
Posted 4/12/08

archeriko wrote:


memphit wrote:


Shes gunna get stoned.



lol... no such thing...unless the people there are


happens all the time in the Muslim world. I read an article before, a lady was raped and was charged with being alone with man in a car. She got WHIPPED.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.