Created by ShakuShogan
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
How did life come to be?
887 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / In The Middle of...
Offline
Posted 4/13/08 , edited 4/13/08
A lot of debate is going on in the United States on the idea of intelligent design. The idea that life is so complicated and so mechanical that there had to be a devine designer. This subject is being taught in schools as opposed to Evolution, which wasn't a popular or common idea until after the discovery and recognition of DNA somtime in the 1940's. The Kansas state board of education requires intelligent design to be taught in schools and as a result a man named Bobby Hendersen created a religion to protest their decision, Pastafarianism. (not going to cover it but its quite interesting, google it)

Fundamentalist christians take creationism quite literaly, the world and all its animals were created in 6 days by god and he rested on the 7th day. Intelligent design somewhat backs up this theory, but with all the sci-fi religions floating around, there is also another theory, that we are test tube experiments done by aliens, (another form of intelligent design) originally created to be slaves. Sounds ridiculous but people believe!

Evolution is the scientific approach to life and how its come to be. Darwin's theory of evolution sparked a lot of contorversy, basically his theory was Survival of the fittest. Not meaning that only the physically strong survived, but the ones who adapted the best to their environment. Natural selection, mutation, genetic drift, adaptation, etc, all fall under evolution, it sounds rational to me. However, a recent movie titled Expelled: No intelligence allowed (featuring ben stein) argues that the theory of evolution has been attatched to certain philisophical views that are counter productive to society. The movie argues that Evolutionism (darwinism) justifies ideas like racism, imperialism, slavery, nazism, social inequality, etc

There are pro's and con's to each Point Of View, none is 100% correct, but I'd like to know what you believe and why. If you marked have no clue/dont care, or other please specify why.

I'd like to keep this friendly and ask that you don't attack or pass judgements on other peoples beliefs. What you decide to response with is an OPINION and not in fact a universal TRUTH.

Personally I believe in Evolution, while not totally ruling out the possibility of a higher being. Which means I happen to be agnostic. My religion is buddhism and I'd like to point out that the Buddha was not a god, he was a philosipher who became enlightend through discipline and self realisation. But back to the topic, I just can't see how you can argue against fossils and genetic evidence.
22133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Finland
Offline
Posted 4/13/08
I believe in evolution. Fossils are almost clear evidence (of course there is always a chance of evolution being wrong)
I certainly don't believe in higher being or anykind God. It's just something that humans created to believe in better future. Well praying doesn't help you, in the end it's all up to you. Nothing more to say, at this moment evolution is the answer.
23727 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/08
intelligent design is just another pretty name the religious folks came up with for creationisim. anyone who believes that stuff are the the same type that believes praying will save their young daughter but instead it ends up killing her(reference to another thread, look it up if u want). just plain stupid.
10637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / cali
Offline
Posted 4/13/08
Religion is not a reliable source.
887 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / In The Middle of...
Offline
Posted 4/13/08

h4sk1 wrote:

I believe in evolution. Fossils are almost clear evidence (of course there is always a chance of evolution being wrong)
I certainly don't believe in higher being or anykind God. It's just something that humans created to believe in better future. Well praying doesn't help you, in the end it's all up to you. Nothing more to say, at this moment evolution is the answer.


By higher being I don't necessarily mean god, It could be a higher evolved being. I personally don't outrule the possiblty because I realise that there could possibly be things that are around that we are not capable of percieving. To think that we are alone or the highest evolved beings in the universe is just a means to stroke our egos.
22133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Finland
Offline
Posted 4/13/08

ShakuShogan wrote:


h4sk1 wrote:

I believe in evolution. Fossils are almost clear evidence (of course there is always a chance of evolution being wrong)
I certainly don't believe in higher being or anykind God. It's just something that humans created to believe in better future. Well praying doesn't help you, in the end it's all up to you. Nothing more to say, at this moment evolution is the answer.


By higher being I don't necessarily mean god, It could be a higher evolved being. I personally don't outrule the possiblty because I realise that there could possibly be things that are around that we are not capable of percieving. To think that we are alone or the highest evolved beings in the universe is just a means to stroke our egos.


At this moment i'm not sure are we alone in here, because thw space is huge and the odds that there are other species is high. But if you think how many things you need to start a life the odds come down. So again i'm saying at this moment i don't believe in higher being. I can say that i won't never believe in God. Human race is not very intelligent in general, but we do have intelligent inviduals.
887 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / In The Middle of...
Offline
Posted 4/13/08

h4sk1 wrote:

At this moment i'm not sure are we alone in here, because thw space is huge and the odds that there are other species is high. But if you think how many things you need to start a life the odds come down. So again i'm saying at this moment i don't believe in higher being. I can say that i won't never believe in God. Human race is not very intelligent in general, but we do have intelligent inviduals.


Agreed, there are a multitude of requirements for intelligent life to evolve, but surprisingly the requirements for single celled life is only water. Human beings are intelligent, with all of our advances in technology, medical science, etc. But I have to reconsider, after all, we are killing the planet.
28612 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/08
evulotion is a flawed thought process. something at some point had to create the things in the universe (i.e. the planets and the stars) evolution to me just means that something started from nothing. i dont know how it started but in order for something to evolve it has to have something to evolve from
887 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / In The Middle of...
Offline
Posted 4/13/08

clocut wrote:

evulotion is a flawed thought process. something at some point had to create the things in the universe (i.e. the planets and the stars) evolution to me just means that something started from nothing. i dont know how it started but in order for something to evolve it has to have something to evolve from


That is an interesting thought. Can you please go into detail about your theory?
28612 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/08 , edited 4/13/08

ShakuShogan wrote:


clocut wrote:

evulotion is a flawed thought process. something at some point had to create the things in the universe (i.e. the planets and the stars) evolution to me just means that something started from nothing. i dont know how it started but in order for something to evolve it has to have something to evolve from


That is an interesting thought. Can you please go into detail about your theory?


ok evolution says that one single celled organism split and changed therby evovling to a multi celled life form. and then from there mamals reptiles and amphibions came along (alot later) but the flaw in that thought is where did the single celled organism come from?

it didnt just appear.....
887 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / In The Middle of...
Offline
Posted 4/13/08



clocut wrote:

ok evolution says that one single celled organism split and changed therby evovling to a multi celled life form. and then from there mamals reptiles and amphibions came along (alot later) but the flaw in that thought is where did the single celled organism come from?


Cells and protiens and such are chemical compounds. I do believe life is a miracle, but we are made up of chemical elements. Umm... good example is Full Metal Alchemist, they had a list of what exaclty makes a human being.
28612 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/08 , edited 4/13/08

ShakuShogan wrote:




clocut wrote:

ok evolution says that one single celled organism split and changed therby evovling to a multi celled life form. and then from there mamals reptiles and amphibions came along (alot later) but the flaw in that thought is where did the single celled organism come from?


Cells and protiens and such are chemical compounds. I do believe life is a miracle, but we are made up of chemical elements. Umm... good example is Full Metal Alchemist, they had a list of what exaclty makes a human being.


ok then i ask you where did those elements come from?

evolution cant answer that question or even speculate on it thats why its flawed
22133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Finland
Offline
Posted 4/13/08

ShakuShogan wrote:

Agreed, there are a multitude of requirements for intelligent life to evolve, but surprisingly the requirements for single celled life is only water. Human beings are intelligent, with all of our advances in technology, medical science, etc. But I have to reconsider, after all, we are killing the planet.


Even water is hard to get, the planet have to be just in the right spot considering sun. Not too far awya or not too close. Humans are intelligent but most of us doesn't bother to think. Just like in this poll the option I don't care. The intelligent inviduals have thought and created technology and etc.
23727 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/08
there was a study conducted a few years ago testing the conditions of the earth millions of years ago that tried to help explain how life could have evolved. what they did was they took water and heat and one or two other things, cant remember right now since i read this study a long time ago, and pretty much just kept it boiling for a while to simulate the earths condition while it was still forming. what they found out was that a few weeks into the experiment, they had created new elements. and this was just with water and one or two elements found on earth. considering all the elements on earth, the possibility of them combining under heat and pressure and creating those single cell organisms might be high but it could happen. and probably did, which is why we're here. if i can find a link to that study again ill edit this post and link it for you guys who are interested.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.