First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
What I think about "Girls" in Shoujo Manga's...how about you?
304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Pluto
Offline
Posted 5/9/08

scarlet_09112 wrote:

I have read lots of Shoujo Manga's and noticed that girls are portrayed as weak, vulnerable and somehow lacks even common sense (Stupid!). I really hate it, they treat girls like objects, like a doll a guy can use and abuse whichever way they want and the girls still end up falling for them vice versa. But Im getting so tired of this kind of plot.

Im hoping that it would change, although there are a few shoujo's with strong heroines you can only count them within your hands fingers. Im just saying that in some scenes they could've either fought back, call for help, find an ally or reject guys but no, they just lay there like a dying fish out of water. We can do more than that right girls?

I dont want to offend any readers who enjoy reading this kind of plot. Dont get me wrong, I still read Shoujo's till now...with a little sour face and disappointment. So, my fellow ladies what do you think? Im sure the guys enjoy parts where they overpower helpless girls...its their nature. lol JK Girl power!



for the record: I am of the minority male species

While I aggree with your remarks, I detest the outright disrespect of women, unless for some reason they deserve it (I know a few).
But I have read a few Manga in which the women are portrayed in a stonger light, on the flipside I read a manga entitled "Love Celeb"
I never realy enjoyed it, but it was a page turner (for some stupid reason I had to read a chapter every night before bed) the general plot was near the borders of awful and disturbing, however at the end the two main characters remedy their quolms with each other and it works out in a beautiful way (trying not to put out spoilers *g*). Not to mention that the heroine, however crude the males of the series were, always fought back (on another note, it was more of an ecchi I stumbled upon then a shoujo). I wish I could give you some titles, but I am lacking in that department, that and you are right again, they probably can only be counted on your fingers (toes if lucky). But I must point out a series I am working on reading now, Fruits Basket, written by a woman with a ditzy helpless heroine, however the manga-ka, Natsuki Takaya, testifies that she likes creating ditzy girls. The series also has some very strong and independant girls (Tohru's mom, Uotani Arisa, etc.). In defense of the mangas and manga-kas we must also remember that the Japaneese culture still has some shadowy issues with letting the past go and watching women grow in prowess.
1368 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 5/9/08
YES! THANK U!
i read shoujo mangas and all but sometimes it's kind of painful to read. the girls in most of them are waaaaaaaay too easy on the guys. the guys can beat them up or threaten them and treat them like crap and still go "but..i love u" and start to cry or sumthin. that's why it's painful to read!
my most favorite manga are those like Beauty Pop, Red Lion, Ouran, Kill Me Kiss Me (manwha), etc. cuz the girls are friggin awesomeness~!! especially kiri from Beauty Pop! for some reason she reminds me of echizen from Prince of Tennis..
the other day i even wrote about her for my language essay! the topic was: who's your favorite celebrity or person? it doesn't have to be real. and right away i thought "MANGA"! yesh, manga has helped me a lot in school..
WAIT, I GOT OFF TOPIC AGAIN! ....oh wellz~
7960 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Riding the Galaxy...
Offline
Posted 5/9/08
I don't know about making girls in Shoujo Manga seeming weak.. I think they show girls in Shoujo manga as vulnerable as to show how girls would normally wish guys would act.. Every person in this world eventually shows their weak points, and it's up to the other person to react properly..

It's the same with guys sometimes.. I think..
1258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Dark Realms
Offline
Posted 5/9/08 , edited 5/9/08

Kizer_kun wrote:

If the girls were independent, then they don't need a romantic hero to save them. Though I do find it funny that this drama crap meant for girls even portrays girls that way. God its intense being a man.


Shoujo's can still be romantic with independent girls who stand up for themselves. And yes, i agree that its crap that we are being portayed like that in something that was made for us...tch! No matter how hot a guy is consesnual-rape is still "rape" right? (this always happen) but in the end they end up with their "i still love you bullshit!"


gillisle02 wrote:

for the record: I am of the minority male species

While I aggree with your remarks, I detest the outright disrespect of women, unless for some reason they deserve it (I know a few).
But I have read a few Manga in which the women are portrayed in a stonger light, on the flipside I read a manga entitled "Love Celeb"
I never realy enjoyed it, but it was a page turner (for some stupid reason I had to read a chapter every night before bed) the general plot was near the borders of awful and disturbing, however at the end the two main characters remedy their quolms with each other and it works out in a beautiful way (trying not to put out spoilers *g*). Not to mention that the heroine, however crude the males of the series were, always fought back (on another note, it was more of an ecchi I stumbled upon then a shoujo). I wish I could give you some titles, but I am lacking in that department, that and you are right again, they probably can only be counted on your fingers (toes if lucky). But I must point out a series I am working on reading now, Fruits Basket, written by a woman with a ditzy helpless heroine, however the manga-ka, Natsuki Takaya, testifies that she likes creating ditzy girls. The series also has some very strong and independant girls (Tohru's mom, Uotani Arisa, etc.). In defense of the mangas and manga-kas we must also remember that the Japaneese culture still has some shadowy issues with letting the past go and watching women grow in prowess.


Yeah,I read that one too and felt the same way. Too ecchi for me so i jumped a couple of chapters till the end. I also finished Fruits Basket...well the heroine there Tohru is a bit naive/dumb it kinda ticks me off a lil but she's a hard person to hate...


lilstream wrote:

YES! THANK U!
i read shoujo mangas and all but sometimes it's kind of painful to read. the girls in most of them are waaaaaaaay too easy on the guys. the guys can beat them up or threaten them and treat them like crap and still go "but..i love u" and start to cry or sumthin. that's why it's painful to read!
my most favorite manga are those like Beauty Pop, Red Lion, Ouran, Kill Me Kiss Me (manwha), etc. cuz the girls are friggin awesomeness~!! especially kiri from Beauty Pop! for some reason she reminds me of echizen from Prince of Tennis..
the other day i even wrote about her for my language essay! the topic was: who's your favorite celebrity or person? it doesn't have to be real. and right away i thought "MANGA"! yesh, manga has helped me a lot in school..
WAIT, I GOT OFF TOPIC AGAIN! ....oh wellz~


boys still get away with their handsome faces saying "after all the shit ive done to you, i love you..." and girls go "even you treat me like crap i wont leave you..." LOL its driving me crazy! but more or less, still a happy ending. I just have to settle with that.

My thoughts exactly! ! !
Beauty Pop huh,a girl version of arrogant Echizen would be awesome! I'll try to read that ^^ i also have a thread of recommendations of manga w/ strong&brave heroines. You might want to go there as well. Tnx for telling me here also.



SixthSpade wrote:

I don't know about making girls in Shoujo Manga seeming weak.. I think they show girls in Shoujo manga as vulnerable as to show how girls would normally wish guys would act.. Every person in this world eventually shows their weak points, and it's up to the other person to react properly..

It's the same with guys sometimes.. I think..


I admit that i still get the "doki-doki" feeling at the end after reading such manga's but most of time they are just way too easy and the stories are quite cliched...boys still get away with their handsome faces saying "after all the shit ive done to you, i love you..." and girls go "even you treat me like crap i wont leave you..." LOL its driving me crazy! but more or less, still a happy ending. I just have to settle with that.

Just a thought , in real life not all boys are like the prince charming in these shoujo's who would arrive in the nick of time before someone else rapes u! (this always happen right? ^^) fight back!
18981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 5/10/08
Not all of them are like that, however, the reason they are the way they are (plain, not the most popular girl in school, shy around boys, etc) is because the target audience (girls between the ages of 10 & 18) are the same way. They're able to relate to the characters.
1199 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / California. not...
Offline
Posted 5/10/08
some shojo mangas I read have sum pretty strong girls in em.
Posted 5/10/08
There are only a few shoujo that are actually good to me......and yeah, usually the heroine is so weak and dumb and head-over-heels (just cuz of the guys' looks)........it's so stupid and predictable.......i also hate it when guys in shoujo are all tough and cold towards the girl then slowly starts to like her too..........typical. the only shoujo heroine that i really like is Haruhi from Ouran. she's not typical and she's independent and strong.
1769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 5/10/08

Lucky04 wrote:

I agree with you all...The girls in shoujo mangas are just so weak, there are some situations where they can defend themselves, yet no...they stay as lame as ever. The guys are always cool and stuff, and the girls always have complex about themselves. As a girl, I feel ashamed xD.


true its soo sad it makes me angry
1493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 5/11/08

quitecrusade wrote:


Lucky04 wrote:

I agree with you all...The girls in shoujo mangas are just so weak, there are some situations where they can defend themselves, yet no...they stay as lame as ever. The guys are always cool and stuff, and the girls always have complex about themselves. As a girl, I feel ashamed xD.


true its soo sad it makes me angry


enough said! I would also like to add that "these girls" don't just lack common sense and the will to fight, but they also have a trait that is very similar to Naruto's sense of JUSTICE!!
4009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 5/11/08 , edited 5/11/08

scarlet_09112 wrote:

boys still get away with their handsome faces saying "after all the shit ive done to you, i love you..." and girls go "even you treat me like crap i wont leave you..." LOL its driving me crazy! but more or less, still a happy ending. I just have to settle with that.



Theres girls like that in real life too.

4662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / europe
Offline
Posted 5/11/08
hmm.. girls and shoujo manga.. i thing i'm okay with the guys..
1258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Dark Realms
Offline
Posted 5/11/08

riavan wrote:

Theres girls like that in real life too.



true...they are called the "MARTYR's" of society. tch!
1474 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/11/08
OMG. I hate the girls who think that they're all that and are kind of stupid. Some are okay I guess (I like Haruna from Koukou Debut, etc.) but some of the girls are really annoying. They sometimes make me not want to read the manga. But I still go through with it. Since the guys are usually uber hot and cuuute. ♥
a0i
553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/12/08
OMFG, how come I have never noticed this topic in the forums!?!?!?

All the girls are so stupid in studies and common sense, they can't do a goddamn thing, and arent good with sports. This why I come to hate Shoujos.

My Favorites that don't have weak girls is like....
Cardcaptor Sakura
Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne
a0i
553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/12/08
Which reminds me of all the manga by the author of Hot Gimmick or Honey Hunt. That author only draws those kind of weak, stupid girls.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.