First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
The 2nd Amendment
1734 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Melbourne
Offline
Posted 11/15/07

azrael910 wrote:


Tyrfing wrote:


azrael910 wrote:

Let's take a look at it instead regurgitating what your professor told you.


...it's after midnight and I really don't care.

I was interpreting the second in light of the first. That the second phrase is neccesary for the first and you really ought to look at the whole purpose if you want to take that approach... but I can't summon enough energy to care about it.

Anyone that wants to talk about the ECHO I'm all ears.

*falls asleep*


...doesn't bother reading the post, doesn't bother responding. gives a half-assed explanation and declares "i don't care" ...'nuff said.


echo123456 wrote:

It's not so Utopian actually, because most places in the world, guns are not legally available, and thus things like school shootings and accidents don't happen. What i was trying to show was that if you need a gun at your side just to feel safe then chances are, your society isn't safe, in Australia, i can walk down the street without worrying about getting shot because i looked at some one, nor am i afraid that at night my house will be peppered with gunfire because a criminal wants my TV. Why? because generally, people aren't criminals-at least over here.
Your point about criminals gaining a firearm is valid, however what i'm implying is that a criminals' ability of gaining a firearm will at least be hindered hence less likely the chances of them obtaining it. Think of it this way, if a man wanted to kill somebody because the other guy stole his girlfriend (note he's not some gangster criminal, just an infuriated man) then without the ability to purchase a firearm, it makes his job harder, hence he may be discouraged or even won't do it. A classic example of this, is when a few years ago, a man was dumped by his girlfriend, he felt betrayed so he went to her house to kill her with his shotgun. So he knocks on the door, and as soon as the door was opened, he opened fire, however to his shock the person he shot was neither his ex, or the new bf. But it was his ex's sister. I guess what i'm saying is, the possession of a firearm legally, is more dangerous because it increases the chances of shooting it.
Besides, firearms aren't for decoration, their designed to shoot and kill.


School shootings and violent crimes DO happen in the rest of the world, it just so happens that the US has the largest and most pervasive news media around so anything that happens here, you hear the loudest. There are actually quite a few stories of school shootings being stopped in progress by firearm owners, but those oddly never make it on the news.

It's funny that you say most people in austrailia aren't criminals when one of the first western uses for the continent was a penal colony. Not that that invalidates what you say, I just find it ironic.

You're falling prey to the popular international notion that we here in the US live in fear and violent crime abounds. This is only remotely accurate in large ubran areas, typically poor ones. Not that violent crime never happens outside of these areas, it just isn't near as common as people assume. Also, did you know that the most violent cities in the US have the harshest gun laws? By your logic, they should be the safest areas. Cities with the laxest gun laws should be rampant with crime, but they're not. This demonstrates that the accessibility to firearms has nothing in common with their use for violent crimes.

Impromptu violent crimes have always happened and will always happen. They simply involve the most common weapon of this day and age. Removing the current weapon of choice won't do anything to change their presence.

Yes, guns are designed to shoot and kill. That's the general idea. I really don't see the point of stating that.


Statistically, the states have an overwhelming percentage of gang related murders which involve innocents.
And yeah i do find the fact that Australia was a like a life sentence colony, and yet i'm here arguing it's completely safe ironic, however it is true that our crime rate is far fewer.
With the school shootings, i'm pointing out the fact that if the shooter didnt have access to the gun, they wouldn't get the chance to commit school shootings. Anyway, what kind of hardened underworld overlord would shoot random kids, wouldn't they rather blackmail some woman or sell cocaine? -.-" (unless their insane)
The international consensus is a representation of how concerned some of us are, it's just that i can't imagine a society where if i...say, accidentally crash my car into another, and the other guy got angry and shot me. Well, pardon the hyperbolic analogy but it just doesn't feel comfortable if i walk into a shop, and the shop keeper's brandishing his gun. Besides, if you're allowed to shoot some one because their on your property, then accidents are prone to happen- you might kill me because i walked on your patch of grass at night, and end up justifying irrationality.
70633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 11/15/07

azrael910 wrote:

after taking the time to write a well reasoned thorough response to your post, forgive me if i take offense at a haughty arrogant half assed response.

nitpicking my grammar after the content and quality of my posts in this discussion is just absurd... i just decided to give as much thought to my response to you as you gave to me.


Not, the grammar in the first response. I was referring to this

...doesn't bother reading the post, doesn't bother responding. gives a half-assed explanation and declares "i don't care" ...'nuff said
alone.

And I was using my whole ass!
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 11/15/07

echo123456 wrote:

Statistically, the states have an overwhelming percentage of gang related murders which involve innocents.
And yeah i do find the fact that Australia was a like a life sentence colony, and yet i'm here arguing it's completely safe ironic, however it is true that our crime rate is far fewer.
With the school shootings, i'm pointing out the fact that if the shooter didnt have access to the gun, they wouldn't get the chance to commit school shootings. Anyway, what kind of hardened underworld overlord would shoot random kids, wouldn't they rather blackmail some woman or sell cocaine? -.-" (unless their insane)
The international consensus is a representation of how concerned some of us are, it's just that i can't imagine a society where if i...say, accidentally crash my car into another, and the other guy got angry and shot me. Well, pardon the hyperbolic analogy but it just doesn't feel comfortable if i walk into a shop, and the shop keeper's brandishing his gun. Besides, if you're allowed to shoot some one because their on your property, then accidents are prone to happen- you might kill me because i walked on your patch of grass at night, and end up justifying irrationality.


Yes, gang violence is a major source of our violent crime, and they typically reside in areas with very strict gun laws - but yet they are still able to obtain firearms and perpetrate crimes with ease. areas with more relaxed gun laws oddly don't seem to have too much of a gang problem.

well, in order to shoot someone trespassing on your property first you have to have DAMNED good reason and ensure that the boundaries to your property are clearly labeled "private property" - and even then you'll have a hell of a time explaining yourself in court. but hypothetically, you can do it if it is necessary.

america is nothing like hollywood... shopkeepers don't brandish guns, people don't shoot each other over traffic incidents, we don't shoot random people who wander into our backyards, and not near as many americans own guns as you would think.

in bad areas of large cities things can be ugly, but the stricter gun laws have no effect there. the problem isn't firearm availability, it's criminals not being properly punished.
8138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 11/15/07
Hmm, if people don't like that fact that I own a gun, then try to take it away from me
if you don't have the balls to try, then don't say anymore to me on the matter

I live in a "ghetto-ish", part of the Southern United States
meaning, There's Crips and Bloods in the town, and the Klu Klux Klan in the boondocks, technically, I'm screwed, because in one direction I can be killed for wearing the wrong color, and in the other, I can be hung for BEING the wrong color. My point is, people are crazy in this day in age, sure it'd seem to be just dandy for the Gov't to ban firearms, the "problem" would just go away, that is, if there wasn't a black market around, anyone who wants a gun bad enough is going to get one regardless of the law, just like drugs

That being said, if you want to take away my right to own a gun, then you might as well just shoot me now, better yet, I'd like to see one of you Anti-Gun people walk down these streets unarmed and see how long you last
Posted 11/15/07
haha, i pleed the 5th.
80968 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Monterey Park, CA
Offline
Posted 11/16/07
i think the 2nd amendment is fine.

if you're scared of others bearing arms, then bear your own lol

but yea, too many restrictions would just make our country even more restrictive!
5943 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / F / Melbourne
Offline
Posted 11/16/07
Americans really seem to like their guns and I can't understand why. We don't have anything like the amount of guns here that you guys do.

As far as I know the 2nd amendment was formed in much less civilised times, where the population had to be armed to protect the country. maybe there should have been a sunset clause, judging by what i read in the newspaper and see on the internet.

If your constitution is like ours, it is very difficult to change. There has to be a majority decision in every state in response to a referendum. I can only remember it happening here once in my life. So it looks like you guys have to go on living (and dying) with your guns. In any event, what goes on in a foreign country probably shouldn't be too much of my concern, unless it directly affects Australia and the rest of the world, and American gun control doesn't.
Posted 11/16/07
My favorite of all the amendments!!
12887 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Through the looki...
Offline
Posted 11/29/07

iambill10 wrote:

I think you don't need guns because they`re dangerous.
Using gun might hit a bystander


A gun is not dangerous, people are dangerous. Therefore, using your same logic, I will conclude that you don't need people because they're dangerous...Nuclear holocaust anyone? Or maybe God will actually send an asteroid to smite us all! Yay!

6858 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Pluto
Offline
Posted 11/29/07
I believe in the right to bear arms even if the initial reasons for that have altered in face, they exist today. No, we don't need to protect ourselves entirely because we have police. Neither do we have to fear a shift in politics that would threaten our society we would have to rise up against. But we do still have the right to secure our homes and families.
Posted 11/29/07
guns for everybody!
Posted 11/29/07

sheighton wrote: Or maybe God will actually send an asteroid to smite us all! Yay!
]


Dood, I'm not that mean don't worry.

On a side note. We live in a gated community of sorts in a all white neighborhood and my father and brother collectively own probably 15 or 16 different guns (their big "recreationalists")
Does it make me feel any safer knowing i have so many weapons @ my house when I'm there... no. But that doesn't mean my father shouldn't have the right own as man damn guns as he wants.


Trevor (OP)
2728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 11/30/07
we are studying abt amendments in my US history class at current
6858 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Pluto
Offline
Posted 11/30/07
So's a kitchen knife, a car and a serious fireworks display. Doesn't stop those from being legal. But if they caused cancer... they better be bringing thier weight in taxes.

You can't justify revoking a constitutional right for "you might miss".
1403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / California
Offline
Posted 11/30/07
i can understand how they think it'd be easier for people to protect themselves, but you can't assume everyone who can legally have one will use it for good purposes just cause they got it in a good way. most people wouldn't even want a gun even if just for protection.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.