First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Questions & Tips
Creator
2527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Aussie Aussie Aus...
Offline
Posted 4/21/08
If u have any questions you want to ask eg. "A move that u can't get right no matter how hard u try." or tips how we can improve on a technique. Feel free to ask any questions here because i'm sure that many of us here have trouble with the same problem.

My Tip for you all is before applying a move try to put your target off balance first and when suprise attack is the only attack and always follow up.
What i'm saying here if you want to apply a lock to a stonger and tougher person than you, you must take their balance first then apply because some guys are really big and strong so it'll be very hard to apply the lock.
If you attack someone hit them when they're off guard or unexpected because the chances of them dodging the attack is very remote also if when a person gets hit they'll react to it right away and start will start to attack you as well, because i'm sure they wouldn't just stand there and let you hit them but if you follow up with another attack one after another they won't have the chance to attack you back because they're too busy worrying about protecting themself, unless they're also a hardcore martial artist like you guys and know what they're doin you will most of the time win the fight .
Posted 4/23/08
I think balance is the key to a successful move, so stick logs in the ground about 15 and practice standing on them for a long time then practice kicks whilst standing on the logs. they need to be smaller than your feet...that makes it harder...and thus better

It helps if you have an older, more experienced fighter (my brother) to spar with...for throws and things.
Martial Artist
9364 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / San Francisco, Ca...
Offline
Posted 4/23/08
I saw this person from another martial art's class wearing a White-Black belt..and I was like...what kind of rank is that?

Here is my class' ranks:

white,yellow,orange,green,purple,blue,red,red-black,brown,brown-black,black belt, dan1-10

I think 10 dan is highest
Posted 4/28/08
Thats weird...a white-black belt? I've heard of brown-black but a white-balck belt?

Martial Artist
164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Everywhere I need...
Offline
Posted 5/11/08 , edited 5/11/08

hapkidousa wrote:

I saw this person from another martial art's class wearing a White-Black belt..and I was like...what kind of rank is that?

Here is my class' ranks:

white,yellow,orange,green,purple,blue,red,red-black,brown,brown-black,black belt, dan1-10

I think 10 dan is highest


Well, my first question is if the person was a small child...Because if he/she was, then it could explain the reason... I heard from a friend of mine, so don't hold it against me but it would work out like this:

White
White/black stripe
yellow
yellow/ Black stripe
Purple
Purple/Black stripe
Orange
Orange/Black stripe
Blue
Blue/ Black stripe
Green
Green/Black stripe
Red
Red/Black stripe
Black

The black would mean you are an advanced-whatever other color. White would stand for beginner but white-black would be an advanced beginner, so to speak. I was also told it is usually used in YOuth karate belt ranking but it could be for any kind of martial art. But then again, I heard this from a friend so don't hold me to it, if you find out anything, let me know.^^
Martial Artist
9364 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / San Francisco, Ca...
Offline
Posted 5/11/08

hikarikeiko wrote:


hapkidousa wrote:

I saw this person from another martial art's class wearing a White-Black belt..and I was like...what kind of rank is that?

Here is my class' ranks:

white,yellow,orange,green,purple,blue,red,red-black,brown,brown-black,black belt, dan1-10

I think 10 dan is highest


Well, my first question is if the person was a small child...Because if he/she was, then it could explain the reason... I heard from a friend of mine, so don't hold it against me but it would work out like this:

White
White/black stripe
yellow
yellow/ Black stripe
Purple
Purple/Black stripe
Orange
Orange/Black stripe
Blue
Blue/ Black stripe
Green
Green/Black stripe
Red
Red/Black stripe
Black

The black would mean you are an advanced-whatever other color. White would stand for beginner but white-black would be an advanced beginner, so to speak. I was also told it is usually used in YOuth karate belt ranking but it could be for any kind of martial art. But then again, I heard this from a friend so don't hold me to it, if you find out anything, let me know.^^


Thanks for sharing this w/ me.
I went to another martial arts place and
it had similar belt ranks.
i didnt start when i was little, so i dont
actually know lol. i started when i was 11
Martial Artist
164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Everywhere I need...
Offline
Posted 5/12/08

hapkidousa wrote:


hikarikeiko wrote:


hapkidousa wrote:

I saw this person from another martial art's class wearing a White-Black belt..and I was like...what kind of rank is that?

Here is my class' ranks:

white,yellow,orange,green,purple,blue,red,red-black,brown,brown-black,black belt, dan1-10

I think 10 dan is highest


Well, my first question is if the person was a small child...Because if he/she was, then it could explain the reason... I heard from a friend of mine, so don't hold it against me but it would work out like this:

White
White/black stripe
yellow
yellow/ Black stripe
Purple
Purple/Black stripe
Orange
Orange/Black stripe
Blue
Blue/ Black stripe
Green
Green/Black stripe
Red
Red/Black stripe
Black

The black would mean you are an advanced-whatever other color. White would stand for beginner but white-black would be an advanced beginner, so to speak. I was also told it is usually used in YOuth karate belt ranking but it could be for any kind of martial art. But then again, I heard this from a friend so don't hold me to it, if you find out anything, let me know.^^


Thanks for sharing this w/ me.
I went to another martial arts place and
it had similar belt ranks.
i didnt start when i was little, so i dont
actually know lol. i started when i was 11


No problem, I have this friend who knows a lot of weird information, he wants to be a detective... BUt he doesn't have a clue, if you catch my drift..Anyways, he knows so much that sometimes i doubt it could even be true....
Creator
2527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Aussie Aussie Aus...
Offline
Posted 5/21/08
Tip of the day If someone manages to get u down bring em down with You!
8206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Republic of South...
Offline
Posted 5/21/08

nguyent91 wrote:

Tip of the day If someone manages to get u down bring em down with You!


But only if your good at grappling,otherwise use your legs to keep them back until you get a chace to get back up.
Creator
2527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Aussie Aussie Aus...
Offline
Posted 5/24/08
Todays Tip: most power usually comes from the hip.
Creator
2527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Aussie Aussie Aus...
Offline
Posted 5/26/08
Todays Tip: if you breath you'll feel less tired when you're fighting SO NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH IN A FIGHT
Martial Artist
972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 5/26/08 , edited 5/26/08
lol in Tae Kwon Do, my sash is yellow stripe (ya no kidding)
Shaolin (we dont need belts or sashes to signify our rank, what is the point?)
Tai Chi (same as Shaolin)
Kendo (we base it on our equipement. First test do 500 strikes with a wooden sword (not a shinai) while moving back and forth. congrats, you receive your shinai (bamboo sword). Second test, do the same thing as the first test except this time you have a shinai, and you got to do it 1000 times. Congrats, you get some equipment (I don't know what type of equipment to get, I haven't gotten that far yet). And after 5 months or so, you finally learn how to defend yourself (ya it kind of sounds lame, but there is a reason for that). If you are living near my area (look under my display pic), and you are interested in kendo, please inform me and I will gladly talk to you about it.


As for question of my own, how can you improve your stamina faster?
Creator
2527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Aussie Aussie Aus...
Offline
Posted 5/29/08
When fighting always use a hard tool agianst a soft spot and a soft tool against a hard spot. of course it'll be more effective to use a hard tool anywhere but u might hurt yourself during the process.
eg. -fist to gut, ribs etc. ( hard against soft )
- palm to nose, chin etc ( soft against hard )
if u follow these rules you will not hurt youself as much
Creator
2527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Aussie Aussie Aus...
Offline
Posted 5/29/08

Ghost111 wrote:

As for question of my own, how can you improve your stamina faster?


best way to improve stamina is skipping, bycycle and joggingi but u'll have to do it everyday for about an hr extending the time everyday by a bit do this for 21 days straight and you'll be able to outrun most people. What that does is get you in the habit of working out no matter what. For example: there were some days when you didn’t feel like taking showers, right? But you did it anyway so you wouldn’t stink up the place. As a result, it became a habit for all of us (I hope). Well the same applies for stamina training. If you do it no matter how you feel, it will become a habit and you’ll be getting in better shape with each passing day. Working out will soon become part of your daily schedule and you won’t have any resistance to doing it anymore. the best time to work out is when you don't feel like it
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.