First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Scientology Story time
Moderator
1783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/9/08

draw160 wrote:

once in the mall i was wearing a green day shirt that said american idiot and a security guard stopped me and started questioning me about wat it meant!!! I told him 50 times its just a CD but he wouldnt believe me!!!finally i went into the bathroom while he waited outside and changed into my MCR shirt with bullets on it just to piss him off.then i left but not without telling him off


When was it exactly that T-shirts became the billboards to our inner most "demons" on what we think of the world around us? And when did they become so relevant to third party person(s) to make comments on and judge us thereof?

It's a shirt, a piece of apparel to cover what was long ago considered a sin to show out in public, now it's considered a sin on what appears on the our wears. In my personal experience when confronted by someone angered by something I'm wearing, it's best to smile, nodded, and say "Sorry, but it's just a shirt. You being offended really has nothing to be with me." If they get more agitated or try to convey to you that them being angry is your fault, just smile more, say your "Sorry", then continue on your way.

It might sound a little weak-hearted, but in the end the ones who pissed over a shirt looked the most foolish.
34431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / lolwhut
Offline
Posted 5/10/08

Joliame wrote:


draw160 wrote:

once in the mall i was wearing a green day shirt that said american idiot and a security guard stopped me and started questioning me about wat it meant!!! I told him 50 times its just a CD but he wouldnt believe me!!!finally i went into the bathroom while he waited outside and changed into my MCR shirt with bullets on it just to piss him off.then i left but not without telling him off


When was it exactly that T-shirts became the billboards to our inner most "demons" on what we think of the world around us? And when did they become so relevant to third party person(s) to make comments on and judge us thereof?

It's a shirt, a piece of apparel to cover what was long ago considered a sin to show out in public, now it's considered a sin on what appears on the our wears. In my personal experience when confronted by someone angered by something I'm wearing, it's best to smile, nodded, and say "Sorry, but it's just a shirt. You being offended really has nothing to be with me." If they get more agitated or try to convey to you that them being angry is your fault, just smile more, say your "Sorry", then continue on your way.

It might sound a little weak-hearted, but in the end the ones who pissed over a shirt looked the most foolish.


true....................i just don't understand society these days.....
Moderator
1783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/10/08 , edited 5/10/08

draw160 wrote:


Joliame wrote:


draw160 wrote:

once in the mall i was wearing a green day shirt that said american idiot and a security guard stopped me and started questioning me about wat it meant!!! I told him 50 times its just a CD but he wouldnt believe me!!!finally i went into the bathroom while he waited outside and changed into my MCR shirt with bullets on it just to piss him off.then i left but not without telling him off


When was it exactly that T-shirts became the billboards to our inner most "demons" on what we think of the world around us? And when did they become so relevant to third party person(s) to make comments on and judge us thereof?

It's a shirt, a piece of apparel to cover what was long ago considered a sin to show out in public, now it's considered a sin on what appears on the our wears. In my personal experience when confronted by someone angered by something I'm wearing, it's best to smile, nodded, and say "Sorry, but it's just a shirt. You being offended really has nothing to be with me." If they get more agitated or try to convey to you that them being angry is your fault, just smile more, say your "Sorry", then continue on your way.

It might sound a little weak-hearted, but in the end the ones who pissed over a shirt looked the most foolish.


true....................i just don't understand society these days.....


Society at large is fairly easy to understand. It really comes down to two options: They are either pathetically moronic or embarrassingly naive.
34431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / lolwhut
Offline
Posted 5/11/08

Joliame wrote:


draw160 wrote:


Joliame wrote:


draw160 wrote:

once in the mall i was wearing a green day shirt that said american idiot and a security guard stopped me and started questioning me about wat it meant!!! I told him 50 times its just a CD but he wouldnt believe me!!!finally i went into the bathroom while he waited outside and changed into my MCR shirt with bullets on it just to piss him off.then i left but not without telling him off


When was it exactly that T-shirts became the billboards to our inner most "demons" on what we think of the world around us? And when did they become so relevant to third party person(s) to make comments on and judge us thereof?

It's a shirt, a piece of apparel to cover what was long ago considered a sin to show out in public, now it's considered a sin on what appears on the our wears. In my personal experience when confronted by someone angered by something I'm wearing, it's best to smile, nodded, and say "Sorry, but it's just a shirt. You being offended really has nothing to be with me." If they get more agitated or try to convey to you that them being angry is your fault, just smile more, say your "Sorry", then continue on your way.

It might sound a little weak-hearted, but in the end the ones who pissed over a shirt looked the most foolish.


true....................i just don't understand society these days.....


Society at large is fairly easy to understand. It really comes down to two options: They are either pathetically moronic or embarrassingly naive.


dont forget prejudice.i always say "atheists are the new black people"were not exepted by many people
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/14/08

draw160 wrote:

dont forget prejudice.i always say "atheists are the new black people"were not exepted by many people


Well, that goes both ways. Honestly I’d say that Christians and Atheists are discriminated against in roughly equal portions-and neither of these prejudices can be compared to the racism that blacks were subjected to. It’s just no where near the same thing. Still, there are just as many prejudice atheists as there are Christians.

The thing is that as an atheist prejudice against Christians doesn’t involve you. So, you’re not as quick to notice, and even if you do you’re more likely to assume the Christian is still at fault. This is human nature, they’ve even done psychological experiments to show that we do this.

Hell, there was even an amusing reality show they had once. It was a hidden camera show in which two “lovers” (actors) got into an argument. The woman was set-up to be the irrefutable antagonist-the bad guy, starting stuff for nothing. The man is walking-carrying her crap, and kindly talking to her. She accuses him of looking at another girl and he assure that he did not, and that’s she’s mistaken. (It’s set up so he’s telling the truth.) She yells at him and calls him a liar, tells him to stop ignoring her even though he’s not.

Then she gets physical and beats him, hitting him with heels, kicking him, even making him in the eyes.

They interviewed some of the women who watched it and about 2 of every three admitted that they assume he had done something to deserve it-like, cheat or something.

These women were more likely to invent something to make the guy look bad than to admit a man was correct.

I think this same thing is true of religious and secular people alike. We don’t often see the struggles present in the lives of the opposite end. This fence is sometimes larger than it needs to be, and we can’t see what’s on the other side.

This being neither modern atheists nor modern Christians have really tasted the major bite of prejudice. Satanists, Scientologists, Wiccans-these religions get it more than either one of us. Beyond them, Muslims and Sikhs get it even worse. Beyond that, -nobody- throughout history has ever suffered from it as harshly as the Jews.

Christianity says they’re Christ killers. The Qur’an says that their the devil’s chosen weapons. Atheists say their diluted maniacs-and, the media is so intensely prejudiced against them that many people are even convinced that the Jews are the ones who started all the conflict in the middle east.

Jews have it worse than any of us.

Well, whatever the case, I think you guys are being too pessimistic. There really are some educated and open minded people.

As far as why people identify us by our T-Shirts, well it’s because they assume we’re trying to advertise what we wear. When I see somebody wearing a Disturbed T-Shirt, I assume that they probably like Disturbed, you know? Now, I may be wrong-and I’m open to that possibility-but who likes to admit they’re wrong?
34431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / lolwhut
Offline
Posted 5/15/08

SeraphAlford wrote:


draw160 wrote:

dont forget prejudice.i always say "atheists are the new black people"were not exepted by many people


Well, that goes both ways. Honestly I’d say that Christians and Atheists are discriminated against in roughly equal portions-and neither of these prejudices can be compared to the racism that blacks were subjected to. It’s just no where near the same thing. Still, there are just as many prejudice atheists as there are Christians.

The thing is that as an atheist prejudice against Christians doesn’t involve you. So, you’re not as quick to notice, and even if you do you’re more likely to assume the Christian is still at fault. This is human nature, they’ve even done psychological experiments to show that we do this.

Hell, there was even an amusing reality show they had once. It was a hidden camera show in which two “lovers” (actors) got into an argument. The woman was set-up to be the irrefutable antagonist-the bad guy, starting stuff for nothing. The man is walking-carrying her crap, and kindly talking to her. She accuses him of looking at another girl and he assure that he did not, and that’s she’s mistaken. (It’s set up so he’s telling the truth.) She yells at him and calls him a liar, tells him to stop ignoring her even though he’s not.

Then she gets physical and beats him, hitting him with heels, kicking him, even making him in the eyes.

They interviewed some of the women who watched it and about 2 of every three admitted that they assume he had done something to deserve it-like, cheat or something.

These women were more likely to invent something to make the guy look bad than to admit a man was correct.

I think this same thing is true of religious and secular people alike. We don’t often see the struggles present in the lives of the opposite end. This fence is sometimes larger than it needs to be, and we can’t see what’s on the other side.

This being neither modern atheists nor modern Christians have really tasted the major bite of prejudice. Satanists, Scientologists, Wiccans-these religions get it more than either one of us. Beyond them, Muslims and Sikhs get it even worse. Beyond that, -nobody- throughout history has ever suffered from it as harshly as the Jews.

Christianity says they’re Christ killers. The Qur’an says that their the devil’s chosen weapons. Atheists say their diluted maniacs-and, the media is so intensely prejudiced against them that many people are even convinced that the Jews are the ones who started all the conflict in the middle east.

Jews have it worse than any of us.

Well, whatever the case, I think you guys are being too pessimistic. There really are some educated and open minded people.

As far as why people identify us by our T-Shirts, well it’s because they assume we’re trying to advertise what we wear. When I see somebody wearing a Disturbed T-Shirt, I assume that they probably like Disturbed, you know? Now, I may be wrong-and I’m open to that possibility-but who likes to admit they’re wrong?


i know alot about how bad blacks were treated and i know its nothing as bad as that.but the thing is people mostly dont except us.even my president doesnt and i have proof "No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God."
[George H.W. Bush, President of the United States in response to a reporters question]but i respect your opinion and understand it
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/15/08

draw160 wrote:
i know alot about how bad blacks were treated and i know its nothing as bad as that.but the thing is people mostly dont except us.even my president doesnt and i have proof "No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God."
[George H.W. Bush, President of the United States in response to a reporters question]but i respect your opinion and understand it



Yeah, Bush is an idiot. I don’t know where the quote came from, and I’m not sure I trusts its authenticity, but I’ll assume it’s true.

Whatever the case, the fact remains that religious people are discriminated against as well. Anybody with a belief is going to be discriminated against by people with different beliefs, it’s inexorable.

Was it agent J that, on M.I.B, said “A person is smart, people are dumb.” Psychologically speaking, Human kind is programmed to follow what we call a “mob mentality,” when in large groups.

The results of this is that ever individual within the group looses their sense of individuality in change for a sensation of “oneness,” and move in unison. Like dogs-an individual dog might never bite a person, but when he’s excited by group of dogs doing just that, he may betray himself and attack.

So, when an idiot like Bush antagonizes atheists like that, many Christians feel the sudden impulse to do the same thing.

However, if you pretend that it’s a one way road then you’re flatly in denial. The fact is that a great number of atheists, easily the majority (where western society is concerned), have an unfair prejudice against religious people-most notably, Christians, Jews, and Muslims.

Because people are people-and its in our nature to be this way. Not because any individual person is bad, but because large groups of organized belief create concrete divisions and violent sentiments.




Moderator
1783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/16/08

SeraphAlford wrote:

-but who likes to admit they’re wrong?


I do. I've found out that it tends to throw people for a loop when you do. It's actually kind of fun, to admit when you're wrong. Well, that's what i think anyway.
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/16/08

Joliame wrote:


SeraphAlford wrote:

-but who likes to admit they’re wrong?


I do. I've found out that it tends to throw people for a loop when you do. It's actually kind of fun, to admit when you're wrong. Well, that's what i think anyway.


Well, that may be true-but you're a minority. Most of us can't stand it.
Moderator
1783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/17/08

SeraphAlford wrote:


Joliame wrote:


SeraphAlford wrote:

-but who likes to admit they’re wrong?


I do. I've found out that it tends to throw people for a loop when you do. It's actually kind of fun, to admit when you're wrong. Well, that's what i think anyway.


Well, that may be true-but you're a minority. Most of us can't stand it.


I usually don't like to say the word "minority" when it comes to ethic-ness stuff. But in this one case of where I'm the minority, kind of pisses me off. I think more people should be willing to admit they are wrong more often and not feel less superior to whom they are arguing with. My whole statement in life; my entire being in life, is to confuse and surprise people in every way i can. Not so much to shock them out of spite, but to wake them up for the everyday people they are use to encountering, I could give less than a shit if i'm remembered. But i want people to remember that they have been asleep for a long time and need to stop exploring the mundane thinking that the answers are somewhere else far more exotic. If me surprising them with a smile and saying, "I'll be damned. You're right. You're absolutely fuckin' right. Sorry i was so stand-off-ish before. Lets change the subject. How's your mom doing lately? She ask about me?" then i'm more than willing to be that guy. To play that roll.

I'm not "unique". I think that word has been dragged through the "night-soil" enough times by emo-kids and people on Prozac. Instead, i have adopted another word that fits me better and that is: "character". As in, i have it and I am one.
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/20/08
Well, we all have our different strengths. Your strength may be in admitting your wrong, but it wouldn’t be a strength if we all had it. If everyone had everything that anyone could ever desire, than nobody would want anything, and nothing would be desired, except desire, which we could inexorably not have if we had everything we could conceivably desire.

?
O_O

So, while it might in one way be cool if everyone could admit their wrong, you shouldn’t be angry that they can’t. Anyway, our weaknesses give us room to improve.

Anyway, it’s not always arrogance-it can also be simply obstinacy. But, that is a feature I wish I had.



34431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / lolwhut
Offline
Posted 5/25/08

SeraphAlford wrote:


draw160 wrote:
i know alot about how bad blacks were treated and i know its nothing as bad as that.but the thing is people mostly dont except us.even my president doesnt and i have proof "No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God."
[George H.W. Bush, President of the United States in response to a reporters question]but i respect your opinion and understand it



Yeah, Bush is an idiot. I don’t know where the quote came from, and I’m not sure I trusts its authenticity, but I’ll assume it’s true.

Whatever the case, the fact remains that religious people are discriminated against as well. Anybody with a belief is going to be discriminated against by people with different beliefs, it’s inexorable.

Was it agent J that, on M.I.B, said “A person is smart, people are dumb.” Psychologically speaking, Human kind is programmed to follow what we call a “mob mentality,” when in large groups.

The results of this is that ever individual within the group looses their sense of individuality in change for a sensation of “oneness,” and move in unison. Like dogs-an individual dog might never bite a person, but when he’s excited by group of dogs doing just that, he may betray himself and attack.

So, when an idiot like Bush antagonizes atheists like that, many Christians feel the sudden impulse to do the same thing.

However, if you pretend that it’s a one way road then you’re flatly in denial. The fact is that a great number of atheists, easily the majority (where western society is concerned), have an unfair prejudice against religious people-most notably, Christians, Jews, and Muslims.

Because people are people-and its in our nature to be this way. Not because any individual person is bad, but because large groups of organized belief create concrete divisions and violent sentiments.






yeah your right.i admit im a bit prejudice towards christians but i don't know enough about muslims to say anything.my best friends are both christian and they don't know im atheist because they both assume i'm christian like them.i remember one day Emily called the Bible a storybook by accident(i did too)so she quickly prayed an apology i guess and she got mad(only a bit)that i didn't apologize to god.i simply answered "so".im trying to be more open.now i say"you have your beleifs I have mine,but we are both people"
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/25/08

draw160 wrote:

yeah your right.i admit im a bit prejudice towards christians but i don't know enough about muslims to say anything.my best friends are both christian and they don't know im atheist because they both assume i'm christian like them.i remember one day Emily called the Bible a storybook by accident(i did too)so she quickly prayed an apology i guess and she got mad(only a bit)that i didn't apologize to god.i simply answered "so".im trying to be more open.now i say"you have your beleifs I have mine,but we are both people"


Well, I’m glad you’re being open minded, it really means a lot to me. People are naturally prejudice, and I don’t fault you for being slightly leery of religious people. I’ve written it before and I’ll write it again. People are leery of religious people because of religious people-and mind you, I’m a Christian. Christians gave Christianity a bad name-not atheists, so if I want to get mad it’s not going to be at the atheists for stereotyping us, but rather the ignorant Christians for breeding those stereotypes.


As far as calling the bible a story-book…isn’t it just that? Maybe a divinely inspired story book, but a story book none the less.


34431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / lolwhut
Offline
Posted 5/25/08

SeraphAlford wrote:


draw160 wrote:

yeah your right.i admit im a bit prejudice towards christians but i don't know enough about muslims to say anything.my best friends are both christian and they don't know im atheist because they both assume i'm christian like them.i remember one day Emily called the Bible a storybook by accident(i did too)so she quickly prayed an apology i guess and she got mad(only a bit)that i didn't apologize to god.i simply answered "so".im trying to be more open.now i say"you have your beleifs I have mine,but we are both people"


Well, I’m glad you’re being open minded, it really means a lot to me. People are naturally prejudice, and I don’t fault you for being slightly leery of religious people. I’ve written it before and I’ll write it again. People are leery of religious people because of religious people-and mind you, I’m a Christian. Christians gave Christianity a bad name-not atheists, so if I want to get mad it’s not going to be at the atheists for stereotyping us, but rather the ignorant Christians for breeding those stereotypes.


As far as calling the bible a story-book…isn’t it just that? Maybe a divinely inspired story book, but a story book none the less.




it means alot to me that you respect us and treat us with equality.It gives me hope that someday Christians will become better towards us.I don;t like it how people think the Bible isn;t a story book, when it's filled with stories.I like some of those though.The fact you agree also gives me hope.
Moderator
1783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/25/08

draw160 wrote:


SeraphAlford wrote:


draw160 wrote:

yeah your right.i admit im a bit prejudice towards christians but i don't know enough about muslims to say anything.my best friends are both christian and they don't know im atheist because they both assume i'm christian like them.i remember one day Emily called the Bible a storybook by accident(i did too)so she quickly prayed an apology i guess and she got mad(only a bit)that i didn't apologize to god.i simply answered "so".im trying to be more open.now i say"you have your beleifs I have mine,but we are both people"


Well, I’m glad you’re being open minded, it really means a lot to me. People are naturally prejudice, and I don’t fault you for being slightly leery of religious people. I’ve written it before and I’ll write it again. People are leery of religious people because of religious people-and mind you, I’m a Christian. Christians gave Christianity a bad name-not atheists, so if I want to get mad it’s not going to be at the atheists for stereotyping us, but rather the ignorant Christians for breeding those stereotypes.


As far as calling the bible a story-book…isn’t it just that? Maybe a divinely inspired story book, but a story book none the less.




it means alot to me that you respect us and treat us with equality. It gives me hope that someday Christians will become better towards us. I don't like it how people think the Bible isn't a story book, when it's filled with stories like some of those though. The fact you agree also gives me hope.


Hm, this seems interesting. A story-book? Never mind the fact i'm an Atheist, but calling the Bible a story (a divine "super" story) seems.... Well, i'll just say that i can understand how other Christians would find that disrespectful. But along the lines of you two, i sometimes think of myself as a open-mind oriented person.

Such as: I may not believe in God, and i my sneer at some beliefs, but i still hope that i'm wrong. I sometimes hope there is a God, because at least someone will have all the answers. I hope, but i don't have faith in it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.