First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Will to live
16179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 4/24/08
The Cherry Blossoms are in full bloom.
Soon, they shall be no more.
Greetings and salutations, I bid you welcome. I cannot fathom what you had in mind when deciding to pick up this copy of my self-declared semi-educated rant, however I am confident in my hypothesis that something was indeed on your mind. For it recently has come to my attention that it is necessary for all living beings to have at least one goal or dream, no exceptions.

In my self indulged search for a truth of things I have pondered much and questioned more. Within these questions one always seems to repeatedly surface on various different occasions, yet each time a clear answer has always eluded me. Not for the difficulty of the question itself, but perhaps I was rather scared to acknowledge the situation that the answer would mean for the world. You see I'm not one to waste effort on the pointless and it is quite easy for a clear and logical mind to discover that our world itself is pointless. In the grand scheme of things that were and things that will come to be, the mere existence of a single human being is completely and infinitely pointless. So I must ask myself again and again this very disturbing question, only to be greeted with an awkward mental silence in the end:
Why do I choose to live?

Many of you might not be in the same pinch as I currently am, for you have found a spark in your life to live for. Yet have you ever slowed down and carefully examined or questioned that spark? No matter which way and which turns are made, in the end it only comes down to one basic reason for the spark to exist, and that reason is pleasure.

So far in this paper, I have accomplished three things. I have declared our existence pointless and I have called everyone in the entire world a hedonist. Inadvertently, I have also denied the existence of God. Pretty good for only 3 paragraphs. The first declaration will undoubtedly unnerve some and the second declaration will anger most of the rest, but if you're still not unsettled at this point, I'm sure the nonexistence of God will get to you. However if a miracle does occurs and you still do not feel the need to burn this piece of unholy corruption to oblivion while calling me a spawn of Satan, please do read on. I'm sure you will find yourself willing to join the ranks who wish to burn me at the stake soon enough.

Think of something of the utmost importance and sacred to your being. Whether it be a loved one or an idea that you wish to uphold, we shall call this X. Now let us thoroughly dissect the reasons behind its importance. Ask yourself if you will, a very simple question. Why is X important to me? Is it because you 'love'? A fleeting moment of happiness caused by the will to reproduce? My dear sir or ma'am, you do realize how silly this sounds? How can one possibly hold a mere evolutionary benefit for the survival of the species to be sacred? It is but a means for continuity of animals. However we may take a step back and declare that human beings are themselves animals, and the propagation of the species is indeed sacred and of the utmost importance. Even so, as we expand our perspective to the ultimate grand scheme of things, it again becomes infinitely pointless. Almost disgustingly we come to the realization that 'love' is but a morphed and overly emphasized feeling of either the aspect of carnal pleasures or the obligation to protect and ensure the survival of the young. Most disgustingly of all, it seems to have risen to such a preposterous degree of awe based almost completely on social impregnation of the mind, and a will of our minds to believe in magic! The origin of many of the traits that are considered to be honorable or chivalrous in our society can be explained with some application of very basic logic. Go through the process carefully that I have outlined above and you will surely see that all of them are just morphed forms of very basic instincts and survival needs. It seems to be a common practice with these 'humans' to take an extremely simple subject or topic and blow the level of importance completely out of proportion.(watch the news) Thus is the folly of man.

So how do we move at this point? If you don't yet think I am completely crazy, I will applaud you on your cognitive capabilities. However it seems that we are in a bind of sorts here unless we discard some more traditional notions of existence itself.
First, let's discard a need of purpose, for purpose seems to be the result of an over-inflated ego. Along with that, throw out the feeling of 'unique' or 'special'. Being conceited of ourselves and of our species will only cloud our judgment. We must now try to realize that if modern science holds true, we are just a huge assembly of quarks, much like any old rock you would find laying insignificantly on the floor. In fact, much like anything else in the universe itself, we have the same components, just a different formation. This is key to understanding the oft hard to grasp concept that anything is everything, and everything is anything, yet at the same time nothing at all.
Next we must discard the need of a miracle, for miracles are just a disguised inevitability. Every choice we make and every action we commit ourselves to have already been predetermined by the structure of the quarks which comprise you. It is imperative for us to come to realize that it is not ourselves as individuals who interact with the world, but the world which interacts with itself. For we are the world and we are also 'itself'. All things are predictable if one has the capacity and the capability to predict all things, so true randomness does not exist and neither does 'miracles'.

It would seem that if the above holds true, it does not matter what we choose, nor does it matter what our answer to my original question is. We do not need reason to exist and we do not need reason to live. All things have been determined and all things will come to pass, as time the catalyst unfolds the schematics of the universe. Why don't we just sit back and enjoy the show for however briefly we are able. And soon, as inevitable as all other things, we shall come to realize that we are a part of the show itself.

----------------
Random paper I wrote at 2am, go me!
397 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 4/24/08
Nah.

In the grand scheme of things, the universe itself is pointless, isn't it?

If you wish to search for meaning, searching for bigger and bigger things don't help. Meaning is self-derived, self-constructed, and self-given. We exist. The world exists. At the end none of it matters, but if it matters to me right now, at this point in time, in my bare insignificance, then that is good enough for me.

But yup, if you read philosophy, nothing matters. And if everything is anything and anything is everything but yet in the end nothing, then everything matters. Who cares about logical fallacies anyway, right?
13685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere.... per...
Offline
Posted 5/25/08
Will... to live....
hmmm... thats a deep topic
1505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Well, Who knows?...
Offline
Posted 5/25/08

The will to live is also the will to die. For Despair and Hope are but one the same, they're just a blade that cuts both ways.

Realizing that your insignificant, and so is everything that you hold, is the same as being a fool. Yet, not realizing them too are you a fool. At one point of time, we might ask ourselves whether or not what is existence, what are values etc...But does all of it matters? Are you sure you're questioning existence and such? Or are you sure that you are not fabricating another pillar for you to lean on?

In one way or another, we are being seen as the actors, then the directors and vice versa. Everything we find pleasing, or harmful, is but what we see. While we still remember, we knew that we're there, one way or another. But somewhere else, we were never there to begin with. So what's the point in asking such questions? And what's the point in not asking?

No one knows, yet we already knew it. It was always there, yet it was not.
16316 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 5/25/08

excalion wrote:

The Cherry Blossoms are in full bloom.
Soon, they shall be no more.
Greetings and salutations, I bid you welcome. I cannot fathom what you had in mind when deciding to pick up this copy of my self-declared semi-educated rant, however I am confident in my hypothesis that something was indeed on your mind. For it recently has come to my attention that it is necessary for all living beings to have at least one goal or dream, no exceptions.

In my self indulged search for a truth of things I have pondered much and questioned more. Within these questions one always seems to repeatedly surface on various different occasions, yet each time a clear answer has always eluded me. Not for the difficulty of the question itself, but perhaps I was rather scared to acknowledge the situation that the answer would mean for the world. You see I'm not one to waste effort on the pointless and it is quite easy for a clear and logical mind to discover that our world itself is pointless. In the grand scheme of things that were and things that will come to be, the mere existence of a single human being is completely and infinitely pointless. So I must ask myself again and again this very disturbing question, only to be greeted with an awkward mental silence in the end:
Why do I choose to live?

Many of you might not be in the same pinch as I currently am, for you have found a spark in your life to live for. Yet have you ever slowed down and carefully examined or questioned that spark? No matter which way and which turns are made, in the end it only comes down to one basic reason for the spark to exist, and that reason is pleasure.

So far in this paper, I have accomplished three things. I have declared our existence pointless and I have called everyone in the entire world a hedonist. Inadvertently, I have also denied the existence of God. Pretty good for only 3 paragraphs. The first declaration will undoubtedly unnerve some and the second declaration will anger most of the rest, but if you're still not unsettled at this point, I'm sure the nonexistence of God will get to you. However if a miracle does occurs and you still do not feel the need to burn this piece of unholy corruption to oblivion while calling me a spawn of Satan, please do read on. I'm sure you will find yourself willing to join the ranks who wish to burn me at the stake soon enough.

Think of something of the utmost importance and sacred to your being. Whether it be a loved one or an idea that you wish to uphold, we shall call this X. Now let us thoroughly dissect the reasons behind its importance. Ask yourself if you will, a very simple question. Why is X important to me? Is it because you 'love'? A fleeting moment of happiness caused by the will to reproduce? My dear sir or ma'am, you do realize how silly this sounds? How can one possibly hold a mere evolutionary benefit for the survival of the species to be sacred? It is but a means for continuity of animals. However we may take a step back and declare that human beings are themselves animals, and the propagation of the species is indeed sacred and of the utmost importance. Even so, as we expand our perspective to the ultimate grand scheme of things, it again becomes infinitely pointless. Almost disgustingly we come to the realization that 'love' is but a morphed and overly emphasized feeling of either the aspect of carnal pleasures or the obligation to protect and ensure the survival of the young. Most disgustingly of all, it seems to have risen to such a preposterous degree of awe based almost completely on social impregnation of the mind, and a will of our minds to believe in magic! The origin of many of the traits that are considered to be honorable or chivalrous in our society can be explained with some application of very basic logic. Go through the process carefully that I have outlined above and you will surely see that all of them are just morphed forms of very basic instincts and survival needs. It seems to be a common practice with these 'humans' to take an extremely simple subject or topic and blow the level of importance completely out of proportion.(watch the news) Thus is the folly of man.

So how do we move at this point? If you don't yet think I am completely crazy, I will applaud you on your cognitive capabilities. However it seems that we are in a bind of sorts here unless we discard some more traditional notions of existence itself.
First, let's discard a need of purpose, for purpose seems to be the result of an over-inflated ego. Along with that, throw out the feeling of 'unique' or 'special'. Being conceited of ourselves and of our species will only cloud our judgment. We must now try to realize that if modern science holds true, we are just a huge assembly of quarks, much like any old rock you would find laying insignificantly on the floor. In fact, much like anything else in the universe itself, we have the same components, just a different formation. This is key to understanding the oft hard to grasp concept that anything is everything, and everything is anything, yet at the same time nothing at all.
Next we must discard the need of a miracle, for miracles are just a disguised inevitability. Every choice we make and every action we commit ourselves to have already been predetermined by the structure of the quarks which comprise you. It is imperative for us to come to realize that it is not ourselves as individuals who interact with the world, but the world which interacts with itself. For we are the world and we are also 'itself'. All things are predictable if one has the capacity and the capability to predict all things, so true randomness does not exist and neither does 'miracles'.

It would seem that if the above holds true, it does not matter what we choose, nor does it matter what our answer to my original question is. We do not need reason to exist and we do not need reason to live. All things have been determined and all things will come to pass, as time the catalyst unfolds the schematics of the universe. Why don't we just sit back and enjoy the show for however briefly we are able. And soon, as inevitable as all other things, we shall come to realize that we are a part of the show itself.

----------------
Random paper I wrote at 2am, go me!



One of my 9th grade classmates once wrote "Love is nothing but a fascinating reaction of chemical hormones reciprocating each other"

13685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere.... per...
Offline
Posted 5/25/08

lovestarrs wrote:

this is like such a deep topic. but it's time for some of us to pause and think (: and reflect what we're living for in this world (:

Agree....
haha ^_^
468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Iloilo,Philippines
Offline
Posted 5/25/08
ThOuGh ThIs Is SuCh A deEP ToPiC, I FiND The aNsweR and It Goes ThIs way...

fOr me, aS a ChriStIAN I'M LiviNg in ThIs WoRlD FiRsT, To Give GloRy anD PRaIse to OuR AlMiGhty God... SecoNd, to SharE The Love Of God To EvErYOne.. To Be ThankFul, bEcaUse of God'S lOve He SenT His OnLy BegoTten sOn To save as From OuR siNS. ThIrd, To FiNd The meaNing Of ThIs woNderFul & BoRrowEd LiFe froM God AnD lAstLy To walK WiTh Him In My whoLe lifE..

GoD BleSs Us all always.....
To God Be The GlOry anD PraIse forever....

9980 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
114 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 5/25/08
holy... too long to be readed xD btw im here just to spam :s
2546 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 5/25/08 , edited 5/25/08
I'm gonna post now and then read to see how long it takes me to read.

EDIT: OK.
Nicely expressed.
Really not much I can discuss but I'd like to add that though it may be pointless for us to live, the fear of killing ourselves (pussies) keeps us from doing so, be it due to pain or shame or whatever. Our inability to imagine ourselves as non-existent along with our embedded desire for thrills or "happy moments" would probably give us some hope and a reason to keep on living too.
But other than that, you're all a bunch of pussies =) (Ironic how we call people who kill themselves cowards too).
1433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 5/26/08 , edited 5/26/08
The writing itself is somewhat pretentious, but I'll just confront the main idea. Unfortunately, speaking of determinism accurately is difficult...

Suggesting that we "sit back and enjoy the show" is, on one hand, silly in that a pre-determined world does not allow for the freedom to make such a choice; on the other hand, I can't criticize it because it, too, was pre-determined and may serve to push others towards that goal. I could go on and on, reflecting back on what you and I have said and laughing at its absurdity while realizing the absurdity of laughing as well... and hopefully you get the point.

I don't think it's logical to conclude that we, too, are pre-determined. This is not, however, to say that we necessarily have free will, which seems to require some kind of spiritual aspect to be possible. (How is it that one could genuinely transcend the physical world's effects on his identity?) The truth is that a world containing free will and a world that is pre-determined are identical in how they are experienced such that neither can be demonstrably proven. I believe it is accurate to say that we naturally feel a sense of free will, so I choose to affirm it out of the convenience of that fact and a lack of evidence to prove otherwise. Besides, if it is inevitable that I conclude something negative about the world and myself (that I am not special, for example) by accepting determinism, why would I do so? As I said, though, speaking of determinism is tricky, and we really just end up going in circles.

Anyway, what is the requirement for something having a point? Does it apply to some kind of pleasure-pain principle in the context of time, i.e. action X has purpose insofar as it saves me from never-ending suffering or gives me eternal happiness? If so, then the lack of "God" makes the world of free will pointless as well. Is it that genuinely having a choice means our actions have an impact on the world? If so, then the pre-determined world is precisely the same, as every action is part of a chain of events.

Perhaps there is no perfectly functional definition for "purpose" that distinguishes one from the other.
16179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 5/26/08
Truth is usually not evident in philosophy, for philosophy does not employ the scientific method. Rather, it cannot employ the scientific method because most of it cannot be tested. In other words, they are unfalsifiable. With that in mind, one can claim any claim he wishes, as long as it does not conflict with logic. So really, other than interesting discussion and food for thought, philosophical dialogues are just an endeavor to look for logical fallacies. Yet something cannot possibly be logically fallible if claimed in the light of epistemology.

In essence, there are three possible situations we could be in:
1. We are shut in a box with no means of information exchange with the outside, and our brain has fabricated everything we have experienced so far.
2. We are shut in a box and the walls are made of extremely intricate and efficient holograms and forcefields that has fabricated everything we have experienced so far.
3. We are shut in a box made of glass, what we see is actually the outside world.

basically:
1. We are essence and only essence.
2. We are essence and body trapped in a world of lies.
3. We are essence and body in a world of truth.

The only way to determine which one is actually true is comparing what we experience with what we already know to be true. But in order for us to know what is true, we need to compare, yet we have nothing to compare with for we have no idea what is true. a.k.a. we're fucked

All humans live in a delusion, some delusions might be a replica of the truth however, but just because someone might be the lucky guesser doesn't give their delusion any more merit than the others.

So, good luck finding your very own delusions everyone, cheers!
2546 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 5/26/08

excalion wrote:

So, good luck finding your very own delusions everyone, cheers!


But wait!
Isn't there already one made by our fellow human beings from a long time ago for us to live in? I think they call it "Society".
15358 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Insert Tampon Here.
Offline
Posted 10/30/10
In my opinion, we are all improved bits of bacteria; we have transformed ourselves due to the abilities we have developed. Scientifically we are here to reproduce and keep the human species alive, as excalion stated, it is an animal's continuity.

Since humans have a mind they have created a utopia for many of their desires such as God, heaven, or 72 virgins in Paradise--all of which, in my opinion do not exist. After death, is nothing. Once you have died, you crumble to dirt and become one with Earth once more as it moves on, leaving everything of you behind. However, because the Human race has this need to save things for reminiscing because we simply need to “Remember who we are and how we became”.

As stated: Life is Pointless or rather: There is No actual Point in Life. The world turns. Life goes on about in the same ways. I wanted to commit suicide to run away from this monotony we call Life. For the first 18 years of your life, you are educated (by the standards mankind has created). Then one has to chose a subject to specialize in and continue to do this until death. We work until retirement, and even then, some still choose to work on.

I have a goal: To die happy. Happiness is what is sacred. It is important to me because I have never been able to experience this pure euphoric high. Other than that, I have no desire to do anything more, make any other goals. A series of events in my life has made me come to realize it.


The euphoric high I seek is the difference in each moment I must endure. The want to travel and see and discover things. Fascination and enlightenment are pure gifts of happiness because they cannot be stolen nor destroyed because they are not objects that man has created.

Such Fascination and Enlightenment do not exist within the barriers of my life, thus creating this depressing void in my life which consequently feeds a desire for suicide.


==
Gah…I’m horrible at keeping things flowing together smoothly…I get sidetracked all the time @___@ I’m such a loser……
Posted 10/30/10

PhoungSeppuku wrote:

In my opinion, we are all improved bits of bacteria; we have transformed ourselves due to the abilities we have developed. Scientifically we are here to reproduce and keep the human species alive, as excalion stated, it is an animal's continuity.

Since humans have a mind they have created a utopia for many of their desires such as God, heaven, or 72 virgins in Paradise--all of which, in my opinion do not exist. After death, is nothing. Once you have died, you crumble to dirt and become one with Earth once more as it moves on, leaving everything of you behind. However, because the Human race has this need to save things for reminiscing because we simply need to “Remember who we are and how we became”.

As stated: Life is Pointless or rather: There is No actual Point in Life. The world turns. Life goes on about in the same ways. I wanted to commit suicide to run away from this monotony we call Life. For the first 18 years of your life, you are educated (by the standards mankind has created). Then one has to chose a subject to specialize in and continue to do this until death. We work until retirement, and even then, some still choose to work on.

I have a goal: To die happy. Happiness is what is sacred. It is important to me because I have never been able to experience this pure euphoric high. Other than that, I have no desire to do anything more, make any other goals. A series of events in my life has made me come to realize it.


The euphoric high I seek is the difference in each moment I must endure. The want to travel and see and discover things. Fascination and enlightenment are pure gifts of happiness because they cannot be stolen nor destroyed because they are not objects that man has created.

Such Fascination and Enlightenment do not exist within the barriers of my life, thus creating this depressing void in my life which consequently feeds a desire for suicide.


==
Gah…I’m horrible at keeping things flowing together smoothly…I get sidetracked all the time @___@ I’m such a loser……
Individual happiness? Young miss, you can aim higher and much better than that with authentic happiness stemmed from altruism.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.