First  Prev  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  Next  Last
Post Reply Should people be allowed to own guns?
12 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / I'm on your team.
Offline
Posted 1/6/13
A lot of comments here tend to be we should have guns because we are only going to use it for protection and saying that they can be trusted with it. Can you say for certain that their firearms will never get stolen or that they will lose it? Will their kids want to show the gun to other kids and bring it to school?
Is it easy to get a gun? Is it easier to get a firearm license than it is to get a driving license? What if the gun dealer doesn't care that you don't have a license and is just looking for a tidy profit? Why did you want to get a firearm in the first place? Not because it was the easiest or maybe a sure way to protect yourself and others was it?
I wonder why Holmes was never shot by his countless victims. Was it because they thought it was part of the performance? Were they afraid of subduing another person? What if he was actually doing a performance? Would you shoot him?
Holmes obtained his guns legally.
What are the odds that there won't be another mass killing caused by a gun wielding maniac in the future? I don't think it's zero.

The way I see it is that there needs to be fewer or no people with guns. Other people blame the wielder of the firearm rather than the firearm itself. If that's the case then there needs to be tougher regulations. But how are you going to screen out the applicants?
In the future I hope to see most buildings have "no firearm" signs like the "no smoking" signs at least.
16 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/6/13
Well I've been searching the interwebs for some actual data on this and found this page on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate.
It shows that, compared to other countries, quite a lot of people die through the use of firearms.
Could this be because a lot of people in the US own guns, or could there be another reason?
4582 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / ireland
Offline
Posted 1/6/13
Far too many idiots about to be trusted with a gun. You just know there are people out there, who if they had a gun, would need to find some excuse to use it.

Not even the police have guns where I am.
67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/6/13 , edited 1/6/13

Guardian_Bob wrote:


dark_paradox_21 wrote:

I have seen several comments about how guns take lives. Do you know how many people housecats kill every year (between the diseases they carry and the people they asphyxiate by sleeping on their faces)? Do you know how easy it is to smother someone with a pillow? I had a relative who was murdered in a bathtub-- all that happened was that someone grabbed and held her legs up so that she couldn't raise her head out of the water -- done.

Yes, it is the purpose of a weapon to take life. Life is not a safe thing and all life ultimately ends in death for everyone. The question is whose death and when. Ammonia and Bleach mixed can create a basic mustard gas. I can smother a sleeping person with a pillow. A broken mercury thermometer added to a nasal spray would do the trick. A blown-out pilot light and one gas stove could kill a household all silently. A person can be killed quite easily with a little trick, a little plastic, a tiny bit of poison, some gas, a bit of wood, or even a pillow.

Weapons don't kill any more than spoons make people fat. Evil people will do evil things with whatever resources are available. Guns are the great equalizer. A 5' woman is the equal of a 6'4" man in a fight if she has a gun. By eliminating guns you do not prevent evil, you only remove the tool which levels the playing field in favor of the meek.


Again unless you can provide evidence, put up or shut up. What makes guns a great equalizer as compared to a cross bow or grenade? Do you have any stats or are you talking out of your a**?


To be fair a crossbow or grenade would probably also banned or restricted if it hasn't been already.

67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/6/13

miserykitsune wrote:

Far too many idiots about to be trusted with a gun. You just know there are people out there, who if they had a gun, would need to find some excuse to use it.

Not even the police have guns where I am.


Well if you're a cold hearted social darwinist you could advocate for universal armament. and make sure you're wearing body armour as evolution removes all the people too dumb not to shoot their own gonads off. ... But... I'm not, so... yeah. I'm with you.

598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 1/6/13
Yeah!

I believe the people should be allowed to own guns. But only people who are sane, good, responsible, peaceful and have the proper training.
31018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / Florida,USA
Offline
Posted 1/6/13
If your some where you dont think you need a gun fine its your choice we dont have cops around every corner so it comes down to personal resposibilty I am licenced to carry and do so 99.9 percent of the time its amazing how fast a criminal can run when they see your armed and will use it if you need to
768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 1/6/13
Only with extreme mental health checks and constant checks for violent behavior. That's my opinion, but may help with these loose canons.
17739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 1/6/13

If nothing else, this is turning into an education in philosophy for me; never studied the subject in school. Never heard of most of these terms. If you don't mind my asking, is philosophy a focus of your studies?

Also, while I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of psychological egoism, that wasn't my base principle.
Whether psychological egoism is accurate or not, people can take actions they believe are altruistic.
I don't care if the motivation is truly altruistic or if it is that it makes them feel good about themselves; the result is the same.

The problem is that while the direct result of their action is to help somebody, which is good, it is rare that helping somebody doesn't give them some advantage over somebody else, which can be considered harmful.

Thus, the question is, can one actually take an action that is good?
That question is what leads to psychological egoism, because if one cannot take an action that is good, isn't psychological egoism all that is left?

Also, regarding the problem of only explaining how things are and not how they should be, the only way for everyone to have only good in their life is for each person to have a reality that caters to their whims. Perhaps with technology we can fake this one day, but people living together in the real world will never be completely happy. So, if happiness is the end goal, the answer is multiple realities, i.e. virtual reality.

After this is attained, though, what then? If reality caters to one's whims, is there any motivation to do anything? If not, then is there any point to living?
23138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / The Sarlacc Pit
Offline
Posted 1/6/13
Yes, but they should absolutely be required to have psychological testing and test in proficiency, as well as checkups. The amount of people who legally own guns and use them to commit these shootings everyone hears about is like the amount of people who go and rape high-school girls because they saw it in a VN. The sins of the few should not infringe on the rights of the many.
14217 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Shizzx wrote:

Should people be allowed to own baseball bats? Kitchen knives?... etc.


A kitchen knife isn't much threat from a clock tower. A bullied kid can't take out his whole high school and the jocks he hates with baseball bat.
sorry. Firearms occupy a different level of risk and threat. This argument doesn't carry any water.



So I assume you would not be scared if you were cornered by a psychopath wielding a kitchen knife, just because it doesn't occupy the same level of risk and threat?
What i meant was....
Should idiotic people be allowed to own any item wich can hurt or kill someone else?..... The dumbass shooting is the one who kills not the weapon.
13617 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/6/13
Lol, provide evidence of WHAT exactly?
27044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/13

M1keymike1 wrote: The sins of the few should not infringe on the rights of the many.


Guns should be allowed. If that Adam kid who shot all those kids didn't have a gun I don't think it would of stopped him. I don't think people realize how easy it is to make bombs/poisons/gases. If he didn't have a gun , he would of found another way... that could of been worse. It's sad to think of it this way.. since it's how the NRA guy thinks... BUT if there was a couple guards or something at that school with guns... pretty sure that shit wouldn't of happened.
13617 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/6/13
What can a kitchen knife do?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_school_massacre
67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/6/13

Shizzx wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Shizzx wrote:

Should people be allowed to own baseball bats? Kitchen knives?... etc.


A kitchen knife isn't much threat from a clock tower. A bullied kid can't take out his whole high school and the jocks he hates with baseball bat.
sorry. Firearms occupy a different level of risk and threat. This argument doesn't carry any water.



So I assume you would not be scared if you were cornered by a psychopath wielding a kitchen knife, just because it doesn't occupy the same level of risk and threat?
What i meant was....
Should idiotic people be allowed to own any item wich can hurt or kill someone else?..... The dumbass shooting is the one who kills not the weapon.


So you're okay with bringing a knife to a gun fight?

First  Prev  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.