First  Prev  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  Next  Last
Post Reply Should people be allowed to own guns?
17824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 1/23/13 , edited 1/24/13
This is a very political topic, but to state my opinion without delving into my political views, I'm going to say it from a logical standpoint.

Yes, people should own them, especially for self-defense.

Some argue that guns kill people, but that's not true. I know plenty of people who own guns that are perfectly normal. Regardless of the method, people will kill people. I like my fists personally, always have them on me and they never run out of ammo ;)

On the topic of self-defense, if you have the gun visibly on your person (with a license) it should be fine. I've heard of crimes (in states where gun-toting is encouraged) being stopped because someone came in shooting people so the others pulled out theirs and shot back.

If you take guns from citizens, the criminals will be the only ones left with guns on them. Don't believe me? Bring me a felon charged with shootings who adheres to gun laws then. That's why it's a felony most of the time, because guns (or deadly force) is involved.

Plus, they're loads of fun to take to the shooting gallery, or to take hunting (if you have a license). They do have practical uses beyond violence.


Hope that answered it clearly. I tried to state things from an unbiased viewpoint, since I can see both sides of the argument.
12098 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Olympia
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
Whether its yes or no there will never be an agreement between two sides. Instead of finding a solution, people result to hate towards the opposing side. Guns would be fine if every owner was responsible and had basic knowledge of a firearm. Where is a Tree of Genesis when you need it? Maybe a bit too extreme.
16032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

that's the saying everyone is naive for opting for a crime-free world by creating laws that prevent crimes.
"There will always be criminals, so what's the point of laws?" <- exactly what you are inferring


What is the point of a law who's target doesn't follow the law anyway.

I mean the complaint isn't against legal gun use. It's against those using them illegally (aka murder).

If someone's already determined to go on a killing spree do you really think that he's going to suddenly stop because guns are illegal?

It's one thing to make a law against a reckless behavior that you want law abiding citizens to stop such as talking on a cell phone while driving, but it's pointless to make a law to try to make a lawbreaker avoid an action when he's already planning on breaking ove of those very laws in the first place.
64259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / N.C.
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
It has to due with the availability of guns. People in other countries don't have the ridiculously easy access to firearms we have here in the states. That's way there are far far less gun related deaths in other countries...
25878 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Living Life
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
i say yes we all need our form of protection just becaue some bad eggs misuse them does not mean we should be with out that some can pick up so easily that will only leave the cops and military with weapons and we all know SOMEONE in there will be a bad egg to give those weapons to someone who should not have it that is why outlawing guns will never happen
13012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / F / Fontana, Californ...
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
Citizens in the US are already allowed to own guns. It's part of our constitution, and I have family members who own guns and use them for sport and home defense. They need better gun control laws here, however and I believe some types of guns need to be banned for the average citizen and depending on the job for some officials as well. I just spent part of my evening letting my voice be heard on the fact that they rid the schools in our area of much needed counselors claiming that the district didn't have enough money, but announced that they are arming school police with automatic rifles. Needless to say, I and many other parents spoke out in opposition of this. My son was beaten by school police. It was a mistake on the part of the police. We are going through the courts right now for this. When I spoke to the school police chief about what happened he claimed that it was due to lack of training on their part. Now with them armed with assault rifles my fear is that if a mistake is made again, it won't be a beating that a parent will be facing but a death. Did I mention, I'm the mother of a dead child too. No parent should have to outlive their children, but it seems like that's going to be the future all over the country here. Where does the madness end? I would never own a gun, I don't like them, and have been robbed at gunpoint, kidnapped at gunpoint, and neither time did police do their job with their guns and catch the bad guys. F*ck guns...nuff said.
Posted 1/24/13
Regulations are okay. You can check for illnesses, anything, but I believe owning guns is a right we should have regardless of the constitution.
25878 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Living Life
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

Angryelfwise wrote:

Citizens in the US are already allowed to own guns. It's part of our constitution, and I have family members who own guns and use them for sport and home defense. They need better gun control laws here, however and I believe some types of guns need to be banned for the average citizen and depending on the job for some officials as well. I just spent part of my evening letting my voice be heard on the fact that they rid the schools in our area of much needed counselors claiming that the district didn't have enough money, but announced that they are arming school police with automatic rifles. Needless to say, I and many other parents spoke out in opposition of this. My son was beaten by school police. It was a mistake on the part of the police. We are going through the courts right now for this. When I spoke to the school police chief about what happened he claimed that it was due to lack of training on their part. Now with them armed with assault rifles my fear is that if a mistake is made again, it won't be a beating that a parent will be facing but a death. Did I mention, I'm the mother of a dead child too. No parent should have to outlive their children, but it seems like that's going to be the future all over the country here. Where does the madness end? I would never own a gun, I don't like them, and have been robbed at gunpoint, kidnapped at gunpoint, and neither time did police do their job with their guns and catch the bad guys. F*ck guns...nuff said.


tis why its a point to have your own
64259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / N.C.
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

Angryelfwise wrote:

Citizens in the US are already allowed to own guns. It's part of our constitution, and I have family members who own guns and use them for sport and home defense. They need better gun control laws here, however and I believe some types of guns need to be banned for the average citizen and depending on the job for some officials as well. I just spent part of my evening letting my voice be heard on the fact that they rid the schools in our area of much needed counselors claiming that the district didn't have enough money, but announced that they are arming school police with automatic rifles. Needless to say, I and many other parents spoke out in opposition of this. My son was beaten by school police. It was a mistake on the part of the police. We are going through the courts right now for this. When I spoke to the school police chief about what happened he claimed that it was due to lack of training on their part. Now with them armed with assault rifles my fear is that if a mistake is made again, it won't be a beating that a parent will be facing but a death. Did I mention, I'm the mother of a dead child too. No parent should have to outlive their children, but it seems like that's going to be the future all over the country here. Where does the madness end? I would never own a gun, I don't like them, and have been robbed at gunpoint, kidnapped at gunpoint, and neither time did police do their job with their guns and catch the bad guys. F*ck guns...nuff said.


Now they want to arm the janitors and have them defend our children. Can you think of anything more frightening then a minimum wage custodian with a 5hr training course roaming the halls armed? Not to mention studies have shown that armed guards in schools aren't effective. I'm sorry about your son and I hope the "authorities" are punished accordingly. This guns issue is so divisive and it really shouldn't be. It's a common sense issue IMO. I'm seriously considering moving to Denmark. Mainly for work, but also to get away from this wacka-doodle society we've become here in the states....
22478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Amegakure
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
No. Just...No..
35089 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
He was beat with a Club? We need to catch the murderer!
He was stabbed with a knife? We need to catch the murderer!
He was shot with a gun? Abolish gun control!

That's the argument I see behind that. In all honesty, I'd give everyone a gun. $5 and you can own a gun! However, make the bullets cost about $1,000 per each bullet. Then ask how many people will pull that trigger knowing thier bank account just took a hit.
cero69 
36245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / warwick
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

Bashment wrote:


cero69 wrote:

Also guns aren't just meant to kill just people, but wild animals like bears, feral hogs, cougars, etc...


Caveman- I sure could have used a gun hunting this sabertooth instead of this sharp stick :(



i'm not sure if your being sacastic but are you a hunter. because there have been many hunting stories about people who lives were saved within a few seconds. for example my friend uncle was out hunting feral hogs it when a small hog from what i was told could have been less than a 100 lbs. he didn't have time to grab his rifle luckily had his .357 magnam shot 6 rounds at it while it was chasing him, he ended up in a tree until it left. there are other stories were hogs like these taking peoples legs. and caveman didn't use just a spear they used a combination a pitfalls and traps, also survivablity was fairly low if a lone hunter went against them put it this way scientist say that if they could clone 2 sabertooth tigers they would cause the exitinction of the majority of animals on the continent it was on so don't think caveman always won even with gun hunters lose there lives.
cero69 
36245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / warwick
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

darkknght wrote:

He was beat with a Club? We need to catch the murderer!
He was stabbed with a knife? We need to catch the murderer!
He was shot with a gun? Abolish gun control!

That's the argument I see behind that. In all honesty, I'd give everyone a gun. $5 and you can own a gun! However, make the bullets cost about $1,000 per each bullet. Then ask how many people will pull that trigger knowing thier bank account just took a hit. :)


most gun owner who shoot on a regular basis actually make their own ammo so that puts a hole in your theory and then all your doing is making gun manufacturers losing money in turn would cost many peoples jobs, pensioin, health care and put all those workers not the executives out of work so think about the concequences of your actions. also throughout history many people disregarded these laws at one point owning a sword in japan was considered illegal that why many of them looked like a walking stick and umbrellas during the warring period.
cero69 
36245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / warwick
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
to add one more point because i'm tired of defending it. ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE JUST OPPRESSING ONE ANOTHER AND YOUR JUST TAKING AWAY RIGHTS FROM PEOPLE FROM "FEELING SAFE AND SECURE" yes guns are built to kill but using them responsibly is the key just like everything else in this world
ksiri 
63058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Orlando, FL
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
- 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the United States

Where is self defense, personal protection, hunting, or sporting mentioned in this line?

The founding fathers of the US understood the context of their times, but also were planning the foundation of a government for future generations. They wanted the final and absolute check on government to be the people themselves. Just like they overthrew the British, they wanted the people to overthrow even them if necessary. And the people needed the right to use power for that purpose. As previously ruled in Supreme Court case Miller vs United States, weapons that should be protected are those that serve a purpose for defense of the nation. These are weapons used by the "militia" or the military itself. Meaning the average citizen could rise up and either join to fight on equal terms, or fight our own government with equal weaponry.

This is why the founding fathers would want us to have these so called "assault weapons" because these are close analogues to weapons our own government uses.

Oh yeah I forgot about the tanks and drones and helicopters. Of course we can't fight our government head on with all that hardware, but we at least need to be put up a stiff resistance as possible. And do you really think ALL of the military will fight its own people? It didn't happen during the Arab spring. That's how the Syrian rebels started getting tanks and artillery, from military units that changed sides.

Some would call us paranoid and delusional. And that the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply anymore.

I agree, right now it doesn't.

But those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. And we need to respect the 2nd Amendment for future generations to be free from persecution, if not by outsiders, than by our own people.
First  Prev  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.