Remove this ad
First  Prev  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  Next  Last
Post Reply Should people be allowed to own guns?
15136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
People hunt with semi automatics all the time for followup shots in densely wooded area's.
Part of hunting is doing so humanely, and if your second shot can put it down quickly if the first didn't why not?
You only get moments as an animal runs by.
ksiri 
59058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Orlando, FL
Online
Posted 1/24/13

wreckboy wrote:

You know the saying " It's not guns that kill people but people.......". I say it's access to guns that encourages people to kill people.

Reduce the access to guns and you reduce the murder rate. Period!

I like that joke about the king of England.......totally works.

Maybe if you give guns to all Americans they'll just all kill each other........that is just sarcasm and I hate the idea but that is what
the NRA seems to want! Guns in school, guns for everyone.

I'm from Canada BTW. but have American friends.


Absolutely true, when someone is determined to hurt someone else, even kill them, they will go for the most effective tool readily available.

Now put aside mass killings for a moment, which the FBI defines as the killing of 4 or more individuals at one time. These events are exceedingly rare but definitely stir the fear of nations. Look at Norway for example. Yes guns make perpetrating these kind of acts more easy but this is so statistically rare I would venture that you're more likely to die in a car accident than be shot by a mass shooter.

But will removing a gun from the equation lower the death rates? Most likely. But is that better? Does a victim that is severely beaten, raped or rendered permanently disabled but survives make everything better?

I'm going to post a video where crime statistics are compared in American and the United Kingdom. If you've never gone over these statistics they are absolutely fascinating and I will leave you to make your own conclusions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa98FHuaU0&list=WLC54946E3821AF7F9

And to address your last point the NRA doesn't want everyone armed with a gun. It wants people to HAVE THE OPTION. And until there can be guarantees that NO ONE can get a gun, then we should not be allowed to forfeit our right to have one as well.

64794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ???????? ?? ?????
Offline
Posted 1/24/13 , edited 1/24/13
Not sure why people are so hell bent over guns. It's been statistically proven that cars and drunk driving kill as many, or more, people each year than guns do. Yet I don't see people screaming for prohibition and stricter "car enforcement".

Drunk driving statistics for 2009 - 12,744 people killed from drunk driving. (http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-driving-statistics.html)

Gun deaths (total, meaning accident, suicide, and homicide) in 2009 - 31,347. Of those deaths, 11,493 were gun homicides (1,013 Handgun homicides, 640 long gun homicides, 9,840 are listed "other" gun homicides). (http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states)

Statistics blow my mind. People screaming for more restrictions, weapons bans, and so on.

It just reminds me of history repeating itself. The prohibition was not helpful at all and actually increased crime up until it was repealed.


Everyone has access to cars/vehicles. Guns are a lot stricter. Yet people are more worried about firearms than they are about something that EVERYONE has access to and uses almost daily.
34130 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Milwaukee,Wiscons...
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
"banning guns is like banning kitchen knifes and forks"

I also use guns to cut my meat and put food into my mouth.
ksiri 
59058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Orlando, FL
Online
Posted 1/24/13 , edited 1/24/13

panzerveps wrote:

Pistols and revolvers for protection, hunting rifles for hunting. A man who hunts with a semi or fully automatic rifle is no hunter.


I will post the Second Amendment again to our overseas friends who do not understand our constitution.


"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."


There is NOTHING in this Amendment, part of our bill of rights guaranteed to every citizen that talks about having a gun for hunting or personal protection.

And to educate those who are not fully aware of US firearm laws or culture, ownership of fully automatic guns is exceedingly rare and highly controlled. Hunting with these weapons is also illegal because most states limit the round capacity of firearms used in hunting.

Pistols are definitely for self protection

Hunting rifles are for hunting.

A semi-automatic "assault rifle" exists to fight those who would oppress us. Either foreign or domestic. And in plain terms, it was meant to kill PEOPLE. Now does this happen? Are we all trading fire in the streets like some bad Call of Duty game? No. More people are killed in this country by hands and feet than by rifles(this includes ALL rifles, bolt action, semi-auto, assault rifles etc.)

The Second Amendment wanted the people to have a fair shot at either resisting invasion, or overthrowing their own government. Just look what the Reds did after overthrowing the Tsars, they made gun ownership illegal.

It may be a deranged or paranoid insurance policy, but it's what our founding fathers wanted. They just overthrew a Tyrant, and knew that they could become just as tyrannical in the future.

I can't speak for those living in other countries that don't have a gun culture and aren't allowed to own any guns. And just as I respect and admire your countries for having that kind of existence, I only ask that you try and understand where we Americans are coming from. (Some of us at least...)
44319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / SoCal
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

LynnTerra wrote:
Everyone has access to cars/vehicles. Guns are a lot stricter. Yet people are more worried about firearms than they are about something that EVERYONE has access to and uses almost daily.


Yup! Time for every criminal to start driving their cars through farmers markets or schools and mow down all the students and faculty. Oh wait... Since they don't abide by the law they'll still have access to their guns to shoot down innocent people, after mowing them down in their cars of course. I swear those people who cry and whine about needing restrictions are stupidly ignorant. Most people who seem to be complaining about it aren't even Americans to begin with. I hear/read Aussies and Russian citizens telling us to stay armed because their situations after their gun bans quickly turned to shit.
12480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / its a secret!
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
It isn't the guns that hurt people its people that hurt people, and bad people are going to get guns anyway, legal or not. So, we should be allowed to own guns.
9119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Under the Bed
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
Yes, but restrictions should be put into place to keep the mentally ill from accessing them and more emphasis should be put into place on educating people on how to use them safely.
On the topic of carrying guns in public, I think that it should only be done by police forces. People should be free and keep guns in their cars and homes, for self-defense, recreation,
ksiri 
59058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Orlando, FL
Online
Posted 1/24/13 , edited 1/24/13

Alanj95 wrote:

Yes, but restrictions should be put into place to keep the mentally ill from accessing them and more emphasis should be put into place on educating people on how to use them safely.
On the topic of carrying guns in public, I think that it should only be done by police forces. People should be free and keep guns in their cars and homes, for self-defense, recreation,


I agree wholeheartedly. That's why every chance I get I always educate and practice safe firearm handling.

And I agree guns should be regulated as best as possible to be kept out of the hands of those who should not have them. Those who have by committing crimes have waved their individual rights because they have trampled on the rights of others. We also have a poor database of those diagnosed with mental illness because reporting of these illness are kept private by physician patient confidentiality. We need to do more to put up road blocks on this front.

I don't think everyone should carry guns. Hell I don't WANT everyone to carry guns. But keep in mind there are some mindful civilians, like me, that regularly practice with their weapons. By God we hope to never use it, but should that day come we will be ready to defend ourselves and those around us. And not to knock any police officers but I doubt most of them go through my monthly ammo bill. That's how much I try and practice.

And we'll keep to ourselves, mind our own business. If you live in a concealed carry state I bet you've been next to someone else who's been packing heat and not even realize it. Here in Florida we have the highest concealed carry permits issued and ever since I myself started carrying a gun it's been a fun game of seeing how many other people are carrying too.
13032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

Reduce the access to guns and you reduce the murder rate. Period!


Not necessarily true. There are other countries that have banned guns but have a much higher violent crime rate.
312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / my mother's womb
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

ksiri wrote:


wreckboy wrote:

You know the saying " It's not guns that kill people but people.......". I say it's access to guns that encourages people to kill people.

Reduce the access to guns and you reduce the murder rate. Period!

I like that joke about the king of England.......totally works.

Maybe if you give guns to all Americans they'll just all kill each other........that is just sarcasm and I hate the idea but that is what
the NRA seems to want! Guns in school, guns for everyone.

I'm from Canada BTW. but have American friends.


Absolutely true, when someone is determined to hurt someone else, even kill them, they will go for the most effective tool readily available.

Now put aside mass killings for a moment, which the FBI defines as the killing of 4 or more individuals at one time. These events are exceedingly rare but definitely stir the fear of nations. Look at Norway for example. Yes guns make perpetrating these kind of acts more easy but this is so statistically rare I would venture that you're more likely to die in a car accident than be shot by a mass shooter.

But will removing a gun from the equation lower the death rates? Most likely. But is that better? Does a victim that is severely beaten, raped or rendered permanently disabled but survives make everything better?

I'm going to post a video where crime statistics are compared in American and the United Kingdom. If you've never gone over these statistics they are absolutely fascinating and I will leave you to make your own conclusions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa98FHuaU0&list=WLC54946E3821AF7F9

And to address your last point the NRA doesn't want everyone armed with a gun. It wants people to HAVE THE OPTION. And until there can be guarantees that NO ONE can get a gun, then we should not be allowed to forfeit our right to have one as well.



To everyone comparing cars to guns, the two simply cannot be compared to each other. Cars are not made to inflict pain; they are made to ease our long distance traveling. Arguing that cars cause higher death rates than guns is not even logically correct because everyone in America owns a car and obtaining a car is easier than getting a college degree. Following this logic, of course there would be higher death rates related to vehicles. Not everyone carries a gun around...
And you cannot possibly say that until no one can get a gun, there shouldn't be restrictions. If we follow what you say, then there shouldn't be a law against murders because people still murder. Just because there are a few rulebreakers, no one is exempt from the rules.
In addition, saying that there are those of you who practice firearms regularly and go through classes and evaluation and such doesn't eliminate the fact that there are many others, and maybe even you someday, who experience emotional traumas and go crazy.
Having a restriction is just a preventative.
If one is concerned with having liberty stripped away, then complain about all the laws we have that restraint people from certain things like drinking, smoking, etc.
11774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
guns don't kill people, people kill people XD
ksiri 
59058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Orlando, FL
Online
Posted 1/24/13



To everyone comparing cars to guns, the two simply cannot be compared to each other. Cars are not made to inflict pain; they are made to ease our long distance traveling. Arguing that cars cause higher death rates than guns is not even logically correct because everyone in America owns a car and obtaining a car is easier than getting a college degree. Following this logic, of course there would be higher death rates related to vehicles. Not everyone carries a gun around...
And you cannot possibly say that until no one can get a gun, there shouldn't be restrictions. If we follow what you say, then there shouldn't be a law against murders because people still murder. Just because there are a few rulebreakers, no one is exempt from the rules.
In addition, saying that there are those of you who practice firearms regularly and go through classes and evaluation and such doesn't eliminate the fact that there are many others, and maybe even you someday, who experience emotional traumas and go crazy.
Having a restriction is just a preventative.
If one is concerned with having liberty stripped away, then complain about all the laws we have that restraint people from certain things like drinking, smoking, etc.


I never said we should not have restrictions. I merely stated what the anti-gun lobby wants, complete disarmament. Which I believe to be impossible. The Supreme court already has ruled that the government has the right to regulate firearms through laws and certain restrictions, but it cannot deny the right of an individual to own a gun. It gets sticky when you start arguing over which ones and what kinds. Which is what currently is going on right now. Therefore we should still have have the right to own firearms. But of course just because I don't believe universal disarmament is possible, I don't want universal ARMAMENT. Those who chose to carry arms should be allowed it, if permitted by law.

Your second point is what also irritates most gun owners. To the other party we are immediately branded is either a criminal, or a potential criminal. Which is frankly unfair but you are entitled to your own opinion. But it devolves again into the idea that NO ONE is trustworthy and therefore no one should be allowed to have a gun because you're just a potential murderer at some point. If you want to start labeling and judging people that's fine. But it again shows that it's PEOPLE that are the problem, not guns.

Last point, who says I'm not concerned with laws that restrict other freedoms people have? My philosophy is that you should have the right to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. Life, LIberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

15013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / walking along a l...
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

koji8123 wrote:


joshrl wrote:


koji8123 wrote:

Not only is it a constitutional right. It gives you the freedom to protect yourself, freedom to hunt your own game, and last and most important the freedom to fight the government if you believe they are reigning with tyranny.


Please dont say this bullshit about protect yourself. If I wanted to kill you with a gun. Id should you before you saw it coming, you would have no time to pull a gun out and shoot me, you would be dead on the floor. Guns dont protect you they just help you kill. Yes someone could then shoot your killer but your dead, it didnt protect you, it just help get your revenge.


I don't think you understand gun use age very well. Ideally if you have a firearm for self protection you conceal it and use it when you feel you or another human beings' life is in danger of an immediate threat. Then you stop the threat. If you specifically targeted someone for murder. Chances are you're right. You'd be able to kill them before they had the reaction to stop you from achieving your goal. But think. What if EVERY ONE (who isn't a criminal or mentally wronged) was carrying or concealed. Like you said. After the murdered victim is felled another could protect themselves and others against the new criminal threat.

And as I stated before. The government can also be a threat if they strip you of your freedoms. Hopefully no one would have to murder, but it's unlikely that a corrupt power would restore rights if it has evil intentions. Guns often do not kill people without users' intent.


Guns kill, yes idiot behind the gun kills, but take away the weapon, you make it harder for that idiot to kill someone. Your idea of freedoms. You seriously think you are free. Your not free what ever little sense of freedom you have is just an illusion, government control you :P. Now lets talk serious unless your saying you have freedom to carry a weapon of murder. Im bored of listening to american conspiracy.

More then half american shootings in last 10 years, the shooter got there guns legally. Guns are for war not for a civilian. You want the right to kill someone go join the army. Honestly you think america would have learn after each shooting they just forget and let it happen again. Your suppose to learn from history. Your gun lobby is pretty much pure evil, one of the strongest lobby in america. Stop giving excuse its your right, no one has right to hold a weapon of murder, guns are made to kill not to defend.
17417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Iowa
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

joshrl wrote:


koji8123 wrote:


joshrl wrote:


koji8123 wrote:

Not only is it a constitutional right. It gives you the freedom to protect yourself, freedom to hunt your own game, and last and most important the freedom to fight the government if you believe they are reigning with tyranny.


Please dont say this bullshit about protect yourself. If I wanted to kill you with a gun. Id should you before you saw it coming, you would have no time to pull a gun out and shoot me, you would be dead on the floor. Guns dont protect you they just help you kill. Yes someone could then shoot your killer but your dead, it didnt protect you, it just help get your revenge.


I don't think you understand gun use age very well. Ideally if you have a firearm for self protection you conceal it and use it when you feel you or another human beings' life is in danger of an immediate threat. Then you stop the threat. If you specifically targeted someone for murder. Chances are you're right. You'd be able to kill them before they had the reaction to stop you from achieving your goal. But think. What if EVERY ONE (who isn't a criminal or mentally wronged) was carrying or concealed. Like you said. After the murdered victim is felled another could protect themselves and others against the new criminal threat.

And as I stated before. The government can also be a threat if they strip you of your freedoms. Hopefully no one would have to murder, but it's unlikely that a corrupt power would restore rights if it has evil intentions. Guns often do not kill people without users' intent.


Guns kill, yes idiot behind the gun kills, but take away the weapon, you make it harder for that idiot to kill someone. Your idea of freedoms. You seriously think you are free. Your not free what ever little sense of freedom you have is just an illusion, government control you :P. Now lets talk serious unless your saying you have freedom to carry a weapon of murder. Im bored of listening to american conspiracy.

More then half american shootings in last 10 years, the shooter got there guns legally. Guns are for war not for a civilian. You want the right to kill someone go join the army. Honestly you think america would have learn after each shooting they just forget and let it happen again. Your suppose to learn from history. Your gun lobby is pretty much pure evil, one of the strongest lobby in america. Stop giving excuse its your right, no one has right to hold a weapon of murder, guns are made to kill not to defend.


Guns were made on accident and first used to kill for food since it was better than bow and arrow. It just happened to be easier to kill human life as well. The second amendment was made for defense, not for murder. A Government gets it's power from it's people. But people give in to easily, which is why freedoms are stripped away. Guns are for civilians.
First  Prev  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.