First  Prev  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  Next  Last
Post Reply Should people be allowed to own guns?
15384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Houston
Offline
Posted 12/23/13

The world sucks. It's a much darker place than most people are willing to acknowledge. People do horrible things, for seemingly no reason.


This is the reason everyone should have an AR-15 strapped to their backs everywhere they go...criminals would be a lot less likely to commit a crime if they knew the penalty was immediate execution. Eventually, all of the idiots would get sorted out if every, single person on this planet had a gun of some sort.

By the way, mankind has found a way to kill each other since Cain & Abel (and before that for the non-religious types), why on Earth do you think "banning" guns would decrease mankinds ability (and ingenuity I might add) to kill each other?

The only sane person is me.
3216 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/12/14
I believe that we should be permitted to own firearms of almost any caliber. Registered weapons with good tracking and other safety measures. The problem isn't the fire arm it's the operator. Murder and robbery can be successfully committed with any and every kind of weapon. Most that are used however, are acquired illegally. Eliminating crime is impossible but reducing it drastically is and this can be done without the removal of firearms.
134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / M / [Insert Reference...
Offline
Posted 1/12/14
Removing all guns-
OH DURR CRIMINALS AREN'T ABLE TO GET GUNS THROUGH ILLEGAL MEANS NOW

In 'merica it's a bigger deal because we literally have more guns than people. We couldn't do that shit if we tried.

Removing all gun laws-
OH DURR NOW EVERYONE'S A NICE GUY CAUSE WE GAVE THEM HIGH CALIBER KILLING MACHINES

Just because there's people out there who know how to use guns correctly doesn't mean there isn't people out there who don't know how to use guns correctly- or won't.

Point is, just agree what's fucking practical for self defense/hunting/whatever the fuck. I don't mind a rifle or two, but I would mind a guy with a fucking RPG.
1679 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 1/13/14
If you look at countries with low gun violence, you will find that this is because of proper regulation and respect for the gun. You can even own a gun in Japan, but there are literal mountains of paperwork, tests, and background checks to get a license to own and use firearms. The problem with this is that it would reduce sales, and that is something that the firearms businesses do not want. We have similar problems with the oil industry, and it is hard to fight them with the way our government currently works since campaigns are directly funded by these businesses. This is why politicians usually hate environmentalism when it comes to oil and gas.


Yes, people should be allowed to own guns, but they also need to be properly regulated with laws.
7112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Alhambra, CA
Offline
Posted 1/13/14
Yes! People should be allowed to own firearms provided they are responsible, trained, and educated on firearms safety and usage. I just don't want some nutcase owning a gun or any firearms.

Guns don't kill people. People kill other people. Anyone can use every day things like a pencil to injure or kill.
14243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Mars, Mt. Olympus
Offline
Posted 1/14/14 , edited 1/14/14
Most of the argument's used by the anti-gun advocates often times perpetuate the idea that pro-gun owners are latent criminals.

Despite the fact that violent crime has down substantially the opposing side tend to rationalize the argument by stating that "despite that, gun deaths have risen as a result of more gun ownership." However, they fail to consider the fact that those who are counted in the "gun death statistics" include those who were "shot attempting to break into someones home aka breaking the law/committing a crime."

There are many reasons to own a gun, but respect for personal responsibility and accountability is the most overlooked aspect of the subject despite it's fundamental importance.
41287 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / End of Nowhere
Offline
Posted 1/14/14

thomascgty wrote:

Yes! People should be allowed to own firearms provided they are responsible, trained, and educated on firearms safety and usage. I just don't want some nutcase owning a gun or any firearms.

Guns don't kill people. People kill other people. Anyone can use every day things like a pencil to injure or kill.


And with current laws and regulations you know that person with a concealed pistol next to you is responsible, trained, and educated how?

Just because they have a permit does not make them responsible, trained, and educated. It means they showed up to a 2 hour class and passed a test.

Also, it is actually relatively difficult to kill someone with a pencil or ruler. It is possible, but not as easy as the movies make it out to be. Especially with modern medical services. But mostly, a protractor or pen or ruler or vending machine all have uses beyond their ability to kill or injure. They all have primary purposes that do not include those things. A gun has only one purpose, to fire bullets that are designed to injure or kill. Sure, some may be able to fire non-lethal rounds, but those are not in general circulation. If people want to go the non-lethal route they will likely be carrying a taser rather than a gun with non-lethal ammunition.

So equating a gun to some other instrument that can kill, but has a primary purpose other than killing is really a fallacy. Because you are comparing two different things that just happen to be able to cause the same effect. It is like saying a Plastic Wrapped Ball Bearing and an Orange are the same thing because you can peel both of them and swallow them.
7112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Alhambra, CA
Offline
Posted 1/14/14

Cellory wrote:


thomascgty wrote:

Yes! People should be allowed to own firearms provided they are responsible, trained, and educated on firearms safety and usage. I just don't want some nutcase owning a gun or any firearms.

Guns don't kill people. People kill other people. Anyone can use every day things like a pencil to injure or kill.


And with current laws and regulations you know that person with a concealed pistol next to you is responsible, trained, and educated how?

Just because they have a permit does not make them responsible, trained, and educated. It means they showed up to a 2 hour class and passed a test.

Also, it is actually relatively difficult to kill someone with a pencil or ruler. It is possible, but not as easy as the movies make it out to be. Especially with modern medical services. But mostly, a protractor or pen or ruler or vending machine all have uses beyond their ability to kill or injure. They all have primary purposes that do not include those things. A gun has only one purpose, to fire bullets that are designed to injure or kill. Sure, some may be able to fire non-lethal rounds, but those are not in general circulation. If people want to go the non-lethal route they will likely be carrying a taser rather than a gun with non-lethal ammunition.

So equating a gun to some other instrument that can kill, but has a primary purpose other than killing is really a fallacy. Because you are comparing two different things that just happen to be able to cause the same effect. It is like saying a Plastic Wrapped Ball Bearing and an Orange are the same thing because you can peel both of them and swallow them.


Oh boy! Here we go. You did not understand what I have posted, did you? I said "provided" means it is a condition to owning a firearms. Let me ask the same question you just asked me, "How are you able to tell if a person is irresponsible, not trained, and uneducated in firearms safety and usage?" You cannot tell by just looking at a person do you? So you told about just sitting into a 2-hour lecture regarding gun safety and usage does not show the person is responsible. Do you really think that criminals or would be criminals go to training sessions and buy firearms legally when it can be traced by the law enforcement if done that way?

Keywords are "COMMON SENSE", "PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY", AND "PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY". Do you just sit and wait for the government to spoon feed you? Of course not, if you have those that I have mentioned; then you know what to do on certain situations.

A pencil can be as deadly as a knife or a gun. It is wishful thinking that that can only happen in the movies. Think of the human anatomy. The vulnerable parts are mouth, eyes, nose, ears, and neck. A thrust in the mouth with any pointed or sharp object is enough to do internal hemorrhage that can block or interrupt the function of the human body. Or a thrust in a nose can shoot the brain to cease function. Do you know how the mentally ill was thought be cured before but that practice has became illegal? It is done through the nose with a sharp or pointed object.

So by your argument that a gun's purpose is to kill or injure, then same thing can be said about knives. Knives exists to kill or injure. But that does mean we have to ban knives? Okay, so you might say that knives are used for cooking. True, but it is in the same sense as guns. Guns are used to defend yourself either form wild animals or some nut case. Originally, knives are used for hunting that is the same as guns. No, it is not a fallacy.

How can you even compare Plastic Wrapped Ball with an Orange? Are you that retarded? Why would you even eat or swallow a Plastic Wrapped Ball? This is the reason why the United States is in a mess right now. Common sense is so rare these days.
14243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Mars, Mt. Olympus
Offline
Posted 1/14/14 , edited 1/14/14

Cellory wrote:


thomascgty wrote:

Yes! People should be allowed to own firearms provided they are responsible, trained, and educated on firearms safety and usage. I just don't want some nutcase owning a gun or any firearms.

Guns don't kill people. People kill other people. Anyone can use every day things like a pencil to injure or kill.


So equating a gun to some other instrument that can kill, but has a primary purpose other than killing is really a fallacy. Because you are comparing two different things that just happen to be able to cause the same effect. It is like saying a Plastic Wrapped Ball Bearing and an Orange are the same thing because you can peel both of them and swallow them.


While you make some decent points, your core argument is ludicrous at best.
Imagine if early humanity thought of fire as something that can only burn and harm. We wouldn't be here today now would we?

You miss the fairly obvious point, that bad people are really good at committing their crimes with things that aren't even meant to kill. And average-joes are doing a really good job racking up the kill count in the highways with something thats just suppose to take people from A to B.

Do you want to attribute an item to a crime as if it had magical properties that badly? Or are you deeply under the impression that gun owners are just latent criminals. What is this, Psycho-pass?

Here's a question, are we at a point where we can no longer hold individuals accountable and instead we rather attribute their acts of evil to inanimate objects?

I can already guess your answer, but based on what I've read you wont even come close to getting the point.
PRose- 
12339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / F / GDragon's bedroom...
Offline
Posted 1/15/14
I'm not sure anymore ..

recently an ex cop just shot a couple for texting in the movie theater.

Can't really trust anyone with guns.
37812 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Bucks county, PA
Offline
Posted 1/15/14
Yes! I should be allowed to own any firearm that I want! Period! End of discussion! There is nothing that anyone can say that will convince me otherwise!
14243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Mars, Mt. Olympus
Offline
Posted 1/15/14 , edited 1/15/14

PRose- wrote:

I'm not sure anymore ..

recently an ex cop just shot a couple for texting in the movie theater.

Can't really trust anyone with guns.


Then consider this question, are people accountable for their actions or do their methods account for their acts of evil? Let's say we get rid of these "death machines", should we as people cultivate the idea that people aren't responsible to handle themselves?

When are we gonna stop incriminating the masses because of a few deranged people decided to make the wrong move? How is that any different when they could of easily stabbed or use chemical weapons? What do we create when we indoctrinate people to have no respect for self preservation?

If anything, why do we on cheer fictional characters on a daily basis when they do exactly what proponents of the anti-gun agenda really want?

Imagine an anime where characters just let the villain do their bidding and no one stood up top do anything. I don't think anyone would advocate or support the underlying message of the show. Not even the anti-gun advocates would cheer for the situation that the people in that show are going through.

Where I grew up (Philippines) people will stab or jump you just because they had a bad day and you happened to be an easy target near by. A no-other-reason than "just because" hit and run. The ironic thing is despite that I once believed for a long time that people shouldn't be allowed to empower themselves with weapons. Of course, that has since changed. And I'm not gonna pretend that something like that can't happen to me in the USA.

The battle about right to gun own-ship goes beyond the right to just own them. It involves each and every persons individual right to self preservation regardless of the methods. If we strike down right the gun, everything else follows suit. Soon enough self defense will become a concept that people will sneer, gnarl, and spit on. Although arguably it's already happening as we speak.
PauPow 
17038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/14 , edited 1/15/14
I think everyone feels like they have two options or everything or nothing. Personally I think people should being able to purchase and own guns for self-defense but always small caliber. Nothing good comes out of making easy to own an M-16 or A-47 that sprays bullets like a freaking water hose. Even if you use rifles to hunt, if you are in the USA you are hunting deer or wild boars not elephants. The same thing goes for grenade launchers and shotguns design for maximum damage for the victim. It's way to easy for a mentally disturbed person to own these kind of weapons. A recently article in ABC news mentioned that in less than two months and a half you can purchase a grenade launcher. That's just crazy.
13137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂╰⋃╯
Offline
Posted 1/16/14
311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Australia
Offline
Posted 1/16/14
No because guns are weapons that you can too easily acquire and use to hurt someone, anyone. I mean if you have a gun you could just drive down the street and kill lots of people that you don't even know. No one should have guns
First  Prev  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.