First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply What is the meaning of life?
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/07

ollie_p wrote:

What is is about humans that make us so curious as to why we are here?


To paraphrase some of my philosophy notes:
It is self-awareness. We cannot help doing so, asking things like "what is death?" "What's the meaning if life?" "Is doing act A or act B morally correct?" etc, is the "price we pay" for our enhanced self-awareness. A realization of one's death for example; is the other side of the coin, the necessary correlate to having a self.
by the way what is the Self? http://www.crunchyroll.com/showforumtopic?id=1040
78 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / London, England
Offline
Posted 1/24/07
If people believe in the existence of God then people should also believe there is a meaning to life. I have no doubt in my mind that God exists. Look at the structure of the DNA. Its design is so intricate and complex that it is calculated that a chain of DNA small enough to fill a teaspoon has the capacity to store all the information contained in all the books ever written! Such an amazing structure could have never occurred by chance. Let alone the creation of the universe and everything in it. In fact Francist Crick and James Watson after discovering the DNA, (being confirmed dawirnists themselves) admit such a structure as complicated as the DNA could have never occurred by a mere coincidence.

Therefore I see the existence of God to be undeniable. An so if God does exist so must there be a reason for him to create us.
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/07
^ Weak argument (not saying you're wrong, but the way you're presenting is flawed). If you want to elaborate more about it do it here please
http://www.crunchyroll.com/showforumtopic?id=186
(I'm just taking precautions because I don't want this thread to turn into a religious debate )
78 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / London, England
Offline
Posted 1/24/07

SenbonzakuraMaster wrote:

Personally people say you are meant to live your life true correct.
So why do those who believe in heaven get sad when their loved ones pass away they are sad. I mean if the afterlife is so good why dont we all commit harakiri. Or is it just a false belief or human nature?



Committing Suicide is considered a sin in many religions and therefore increasing there chance to go to hell.

Also its human nature to miss and sadden at the loss of a loved one despite how strong ones belief is. There is no law in religion commanding us to not be sad, that would just be inhumane.
7413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / By the water
Offline
Posted 1/24/07
Wait a minute, did I miss something? I know death is a part of life, but how did committing suicide enter a topic about the meaning of life? Unless the meaning of life is eventually dying, which personally I find depressing. Just because it happens does not mean that is all there is.
6212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / US
Offline
Posted 1/24/07
Uh Crick was a self proclaimed agnostic, leaning towards atheism. Heck, I like the guy , when he deduced the double-helix structure of dna he was on tabs. I'd like to see things backing up those bits about books and crick on coincidence. Also, just to let you now, over 95% of the members of the national academy of science disagree with you on that part about God being undeniable.

If I made responses like this to every post however, this thread would be half mine...
767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Slowly fading awa...
Offline
Posted 1/24/07
To die. That's all. People live to die, there's nothing else for us to do. Whatever excuses we make up for us to be on this earth, the only thing we all do in the end is die.
1191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / a place in the world
Offline
Posted 1/24/07
the meaning of life is to live and be happy. think of it this way, there is not point in NOT living! ^^
114 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
S.K
Offline
Posted 1/24/07
I don't know what the real meaning of life is but I try to live everyday as happy as I can. I try but there are those days when everything I plan for goes wrong. I like my life to be as simple as possible but it isn't.
mkt
1458 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
74 / F / myPlace
Offline
Posted 1/24/07
life = to live and be as happy as possible. then when it's your time to go you go.
thats how life is....you come and go. so live life to the fullest
until it all fizzes away into darkness.
1834 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.K
Offline
Posted 1/24/07

wiggy wrote:

If people believe in the existence of God then people should also believe there is a meaning to life. I have no doubt in my mind that God exists. Look at the structure of the DNA. Its design is so intricate and complex that it is calculated that a chain of DNA small enough to fill a teaspoon has the capacity to store all the information contained in all the books ever written! Such an amazing structure could have never occurred by chance. Let alone the creation of the universe and everything in it. In fact Francist Crick and James Watson after discovering the DNA, (being confirmed dawirnists themselves) admit such a structure as complicated as the DNA could have never occurred by a mere coincidence.

Therefore I see the existence of God to be undeniable. An so if God does exist so must there be a reason for him to create us.


Hmmm....I'm not so sure. I'd like to ask a question - do you believe in fate? Do you believe that humans have no choice? If you don't, I'd say that pretty much makes your argument void. This, I believe, is due to the huge amount of chance we experiance every day of our lives.
Here is a simple example. Say, someone stops you and talks to you. Then, you say goodbye, walk off and slip on a wet floor and break your neck. Imagine the web of chance leading to this moment. Why is the floor wet? Imagine the amount of people involved in this, the exact specifications needed, the intricate timing, required to bring you to that exact moment, everything from the amount of time you stopped to talk, to the position of your foot as it hit the ground. Does this seem like mere chance to you? It seems to me like it was planned out. It seems like it has structure. And so does DNA. Its incredibly, mind bogglingly complex, it seems like it could never be chance. Yet, if you believe in free-will (and if you believe in God, you probably do) then how can you say it was not (possibly) chance? It seems to me that the amount of pure chance that goes on everyday is just as complicated, if not more so, than DNA.

78 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / London, England
Offline
Posted 1/24/07

Eros wrote:

Uh Crick was a self proclaimed agnostic, leaning towards atheism. Heck, I like the guy , when he deduced the double-helix structure of dna he was on tabs. I'd like to see things backing up those bits about books and crick on coincidence. Also, just to let you now, over 95% of the members of the national academy of science disagree with you on that part about God being undeniable.

If I made responses like this to every post however, this thread would be half mine...


Even if thats true it does not necessary mean that the most popular methodology is the reality. For example in the 6th century BC it was popularly held that the earth was flat, especially by Greek philosophers from that time period were prone to form conclusions similar to those of Anaximander. Of course that is untrue!

Science tends to take u - turns, with fall of dawarnism coming at hand, who knows "intelligent design" may well be the new approved theory for the existence of man.

Some of the greatest minds believed in God. I quote from Albert Einstein who said "Science without religion is lame". Imagine! The father of physics proclaiming this.
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/07
(Eros please, don't try) ^ wiggy, like I said


mauz15 wrote:

^ Weak argument (not saying you're wrong, but the way you're presenting is flawed). If you want to elaborate more about it do it here please
http://www.crunchyroll.com/showforumtopic?id=186
(I'm just taking precautions because I don't want this thread to turn into a religious debate )

78 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / London, England
Offline
Posted 1/24/07

Jozephz wrote:


wiggy wrote:

If people believe in the existence of God then people should also believe there is a meaning to life. I have no doubt in my mind that God exists. Look at the structure of the DNA. Its design is so intricate and complex that it is calculated that a chain of DNA small enough to fill a teaspoon has the capacity to store all the information contained in all the books ever written! Such an amazing structure could have never occurred by chance. Let alone the creation of the universe and everything in it. In fact Francist Crick and James Watson after discovering the DNA, (being confirmed dawirnists themselves) admit such a structure as complicated as the DNA could have never occurred by a mere coincidence.

Therefore I see the existence of God to be undeniable. An so if God does exist so must there be a reason for him to create us.


Hmmm....I'm not so sure. I'd like to ask a question - do you believe in fate? Do you believe that humans have no choice? If you don't, I'd say that pretty much makes your argument void. This, I believe, is due to the huge amount of chance we experiance every day of our lives.
Here is a simple example. Say, someone stops you and talks to you. Then, you say goodbye, walk off and slip on a wet floor and break your neck. Imagine the web of chance leading to this moment. Why is the floor wet? Imagine the amount of people involved in this, the exact specifications needed, the intricate timing, required to bring you to that exact moment, everything from the amount of time you stopped to talk, to the position of your foot as it hit the ground. Does this seem like mere chance to you? It seems to me like it was planned out. It seems like it has structure. And so does DNA. Its incredibly, mind bogglingly complex, it seems like it could never be chance. Yet, if you believe in free-will (and if you believe in God, you probably do) then how can you say it was not (possibly) chance? It seems to me that the amount of pure chance that goes on everyday is just as complicated, if not more so, than DNA.



Thats quite interesting, I admit you do have a valid point. However that is not my only argument in support of the existence of God. Just by disproving evolution alone, leaves man with no other alternative but to turn to the fact that man was created as man on earth and not as primitive being or an unicellular organism. Hence if man came on this earth as man, then the only explanation is divine intervention.

Evolution is a flawed theory that was endorsed by an armature biologist at a time when science was primitive. For example, at that time the theory of "spontaneous combustion" was widely held. This theory states that life would come to being spontaneously. Odd experiments were held to prove this. When meat was left unpreserved, over time maggots would begin to appear on the surface of the flesh. It was believed that maggots came to being spontaneously from dead meat. However what they were not aware of was that flies deposited microscopic larvae onto the meat which then gradually grew to become maggots.

The theory of evolution is reliant on the theory of "spontaneous combustion" to be true. It is widely known that life comes from life. It is impossible for life to originate from an inanimate object. Matter cannot organise itself to form life. No one has ever experience life to come into existence from non living matter. Infact with the technology of the 20th century, countless experiments were held in order to reproduce life from non living matter. All experiments ended as failure. Indeed today all attempts to produce living cells from non living matter has be abandoned and is fully acknowledged to be impossible!
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/07
For the last time stick to the topic.
If you still want to unsoundly argue about the existence of God and evolution do it here:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/showforumtopic?id=186
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.