First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Taboos in Japan
3583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / ?????
Offline
Posted 4/28/08
I heard that in Japan, its taboo to talk loudly inside the train. They consider it rude and will look at you strange. I'm just wondering if this is true or false..or maybe only half true? When I watch Jdramas I noticed that mostly they sleep,text message or just stare into nothing but never talk.

If any of you guys have been to Japan or live there or whatever, why not share infos of taboos that you know in Japan? It'd be interesting to know.
Posted 4/28/08
Don't stick your chopsticks straight up in your rice bowl. It looks like incense that's being burned for the dead.
Ghost
AHTL 
91489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 4/28/08
Apathy is the answer! That's at least what I concluded where I live.

People try to avoid strangers, so they don't want to listen to strangers. I've noticed myself that people tend to just be silent on the bus. Some listen to music, while others just look around, mainly outside.
204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Live in Los Angel...
Offline
Posted 4/28/08
yes they get mad at you for being loud or leaving trash. but if your not Japanese or only half like me they tend to look at you funny sometimes anyway so theres not much you can do on those days. My family over there told me that even more important over there is to keep your hands up on the train if your a guy if you accidentally touch a girl and she calls you on it you could possibly spend a night in jail or be deported. sorry for the long answer.

Also one of the biggest taboos is that you ALWAYS need to finish all of your rice they take it as an act of disrespect because rice is a treasure over there. even if you skip on finishing the main portion of your meal. just eat all the rice first.
935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / north germany
Offline
Posted 4/28/08
- try to not wipe your nose in public. it´s impolite to do it.
- don´t give a japanese man candys. sweets are only for woman so you rarely see a japanese man sitting in an icecreme café.
- don´t only say ´no´. put your hands in your neck and they will understand^^
- never talk bad about the emperor and don´t point a finger on a picture of the emperor or his relatives
- bring your host a present( it´s alright even if it´s only a pencil^^)
- before you take a bath you must take a shower... no soap into the bath!
- if you go into an openly bathhouse don´t wear a swim suit etc..you must go naked!
- you should take some toiletpaper with you b/c pulic toilet often haven´t got any: in private houses are extra shoes for the toilet...
- be4 you eat you need to wipe your hands with the oshibori(a wet, warm towelette)
- never ´speak with your hands´ if you hold chopsticks....for a japaner it looks frowningly( came from the samurai age)
- never refill your glass on your own...it will look like you´re bibber: if you don´t want to have any more just let a little bit left in your glass

I know alot more but think its enough^^

334 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Philippines
Offline
Posted 4/28/08

nihat-ay wrote:

- try to not wipe your nose in public. it´s impolite to do it.
- don´t give a japanese man candys. sweets are only for woman so you rarely see a japanese man sitting in an icecreme café.
- don´t only say ´no´. put your hands in your neck and they will understand^^
- never talk bad about the emperor and don´t point a finger on a picture of the emperor or his relatives
- bring your host a present( it´s alright even if it´s only a pencil^^)
- before you take a bath you must take a shower... no soap into the bath!
- if you go into an openly bathhouse don´t wear a swim suit etc..you must go naked!
- you should take some toiletpaper with you b/c pulic toilet often haven´t got any: in private houses are extra shoes for the toilet...
- be4 you eat you need to wipe your hands with the oshibori(a wet, warm towelette)
- never ´speak with your hands´ if you hold chopsticks....for a japaner it looks frowningly( came from the samurai age)
- never refill your glass on your own...it will look like you´re bibber: if you don´t want to have any more just let a little bit left in your glass

I know alot more but think its enough^^





i think you almost know nothing in japanese culture.... <_<;
some of your considerations are wrong!
and the topic is taboo in japan!
and i think you don't KNOW ALOT from japanese taboos..

by the way sex is not taboo in japan it only became taboo if 17yrs old and below
have sex and reading ero or watching it....18 yrs and up i think is liberated and depends upon the person
i can't confirm if this is a absolute truth but i read it on a japanese article
i'm a japanese addict by the way
5796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Santa Destroy
Offline
Posted 4/28/08

ryujidanma wrote:

My family over there told me that even more important over there is to keep your hands up on the train if your a guy if you accidentally touch a girl and she calls you on it you could possibly spend a night in jail or be deported.


LMAO. I can't help but laugh at this one.
5245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/28/08 , edited 4/28/08

BlackRagDoll wrote:

I heard that in Japan, its taboo to talk loudly inside the train. They consider it rude and will look at you strange. I'm just wondering if this is true or false..or maybe only half true? When I watch Jdramas I noticed that mostly they sleep,text message or just stare into nothing but never talk.

If any of you guys have been to Japan or live there or whatever, why not share infos of taboos that you know in Japan? It'd be interesting to know.


Isn't it taboo to talk loudly in a train everywhere? I mean, it is in my country too.


Oooh, and I thought of something.

Two of my friends, a guy and a girl, where hugging each other in public. And some japanese tourists stopped to take pictures of them. We could hear them talk japanase, so.. Is it taboo to hug in public or something?
3583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / ?????
Offline
Posted 4/28/08

Hitoli wrote:


BlackRagDoll wrote:

I heard that in Japan, its taboo to talk loudly inside the train. They consider it rude and will look at you strange. I'm just wondering if this is true or false..or maybe only half true? When I watch Jdramas I noticed that mostly they sleep,text message or just stare into nothing but never talk.

If any of you guys have been to Japan or live there or whatever, why not share infos of taboos that you know in Japan? It'd be interesting to know.


Isn't it taboo to talk loudly in a train everywhere? I mean, it is in my country too.


I don't know about other countries really but in my country its not,we can talk...oh well ok but just don't scream or shout. Yeah I guess a person gets frowned upon if he or she talks like really really extremely loud but from what I see (from dramas and movies and youtube) they do not talk at all in the train or bus. So I just want to confirm whether people are not supposed to talk at all OR just can't speak loudly.

1106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/28/08

komenasai12 wrote:


nihat-ay wrote:

- try to not wipe your nose in public. it´s impolite to do it.
- don´t give a japanese man candys. sweets are only for woman so you rarely see a japanese man sitting in an icecreme café.
- don´t only say ´no´. put your hands in your neck and they will understand^^
- never talk bad about the emperor and don´t point a finger on a picture of the emperor or his relatives
- bring your host a present( it´s alright even if it´s only a pencil^^)
- before you take a bath you must take a shower... no soap into the bath!
- if you go into an openly bathhouse don´t wear a swim suit etc..you must go naked!
- you should take some toiletpaper with you b/c pulic toilet often haven´t got any: in private houses are extra shoes for the toilet...
- be4 you eat you need to wipe your hands with the oshibori(a wet, warm towelette)
- never ´speak with your hands´ if you hold chopsticks....for a japaner it looks frowningly( came from the samurai age)
- never refill your glass on your own...it will look like you´re bibber: if you don´t want to have any more just let a little bit left in your glass

I know alot more but think its enough^^





i think you almost know nothing in japanese culture.... <_<;
some of your considerations are wrong!
and the topic is taboo in japan!
and i think you don't KNOW ALOT from japanese taboos..

by the way sex is not taboo in japan it only became taboo if 17yrs old and below
have sex and reading ero or watching it....18 yrs and up i think is liberated and depends upon the person
i can't confirm if this is a absolute truth but i read it on a japanese article
i'm a japanese addict by the way


WTF are you talking about.
Posted 4/28/08

nihat-ay wrote:

- try to not wipe your nose in public. it´s impolite to do it.
- don´t give a japanese man candys. sweets are only for woman so you rarely see a japanese man sitting in an icecreme café.
- don´t only say ´no´. put your hands in your neck and they will understand^^
- never talk bad about the emperor and don´t point a finger on a picture of the emperor or his relatives
- bring your host a present( it´s alright even if it´s only a pencil^^)
- before you take a bath you must take a shower... no soap into the bath!
- if you go into an openly bathhouse don´t wear a swim suit etc..you must go naked!
- you should take some toiletpaper with you b/c pulic toilet often haven´t got any: in private houses are extra shoes for the toilet...
- be4 you eat you need to wipe your hands with the oshibori(a wet, warm towelette)
- never ´speak with your hands´ if you hold chopsticks....for a japaner it looks frowningly( came from the samurai age)
- never refill your glass on your own...it will look like you´re bibber: if you don´t want to have any more just let a little bit left in your glass

I know alot more but think its enough^^




wow...thats awesome...like there are somany rules and like things like that...guatemalans have nothing like that
935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / north germany
Offline
Posted 4/29/08

komenasai12 wrote:


nihat-ay wrote:

- try to not wipe your nose in public. it´s impolite to do it.
- don´t give a japanese man candys. sweets are only for woman so you rarely see a japanese man sitting in an icecreme café.
- don´t only say ´no´. put your hands in your neck and they will understand^^
- never talk bad about the emperor and don´t point a finger on a picture of the emperor or his relatives
- bring your host a present( it´s alright even if it´s only a pencil^^)
- before you take a bath you must take a shower... no soap into the bath!
- if you go into an openly bathhouse don´t wear a swim suit etc..you must go naked!
- you should take some toiletpaper with you b/c pulic toilet often haven´t got any: in private houses are extra shoes for the toilet...
- be4 you eat you need to wipe your hands with the oshibori(a wet, warm towelette)
- never ´speak with your hands´ if you hold chopsticks....for a japaner it looks frowningly( came from the samurai age)
- never refill your glass on your own...it will look like you´re bibber: if you don´t want to have any more just let a little bit left in your glass

I know alot more but think its enough^^





i think you almost know nothing in japanese culture.... <_<;
some of your considerations are wrong!
and the topic is taboo in japan!
and i think you don't KNOW ALOT from japanese taboos..

by the way sex is not taboo in japan it only became taboo if 17yrs old and below
have sex and reading ero or watching it....18 yrs and up i think is liberated and depends upon the person
i can't confirm if this is a absolute truth but i read it on a japanese article
i'm a japanese addict by the way


I´m sorry if something is wrong. I read this on a lot of sides. Guess someone wrote it and everyone believed it and wrote it too. Sorry again

sygish 
35188 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 4/29/08
Receiving a business card and putting it in your trouser pocket is pretty rude to Japanese businessmen. That's why they have pocket card holders "to keep you close to the heart" or somesuch.

Don't mention the war!

Don't go sticking your chopsticks into your ricebowl vertically and unattended by your hands. It looks like incense sticks symbolising death. Well, the taboo level of that is dependant on your belief in superstition and how much you'd like to die i suppose ...
32215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Denver
Offline
Posted 4/29/08

BlackRagDoll wrote:


Hitoli wrote:


BlackRagDoll wrote:

I heard that in Japan, its taboo to talk loudly inside the train. They consider it rude and will look at you strange. I'm just wondering if this is true or false..or maybe only half true? When I watch Jdramas I noticed that mostly they sleep,text message or just stare into nothing but never talk.

If any of you guys have been to Japan or live there or whatever, why not share infos of taboos that you know in Japan? It'd be interesting to know.


Isn't it taboo to talk loudly in a train everywhere? I mean, it is in my country too.


I don't know about other countries really but in my country its not,we can talk...oh well ok but just don't scream or shout. Yeah I guess a person gets frowned upon if he or she talks like really really extremely loud but from what I see (from dramas and movies and youtube) they do not talk at all in the train or bus. So I just want to confirm whether people are not supposed to talk at all OR just can't speak loudly.



Huh. I've never heard of that! Whenever I take the train or light rail there's always some crazy person walking around harassing people or some gangster listening to loud hip hop on a music player. And I will usually have conversations with whoever sits next to me. I don't think it's taboo here... but maybe I just never noticed? O.O
3583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / ?????
Offline
Posted 4/29/08

DreadDenimPirate wrote:

Huh. I've never heard of that! Whenever I take the train or light rail there's always some crazy person walking around harassing people or some gangster listening to loud hip hop on a music player. And I will usually have conversations with whoever sits next to me. I don't think it's taboo here... but maybe I just never noticed? O.O


Yeah its different in other countries and as for that taboo talking in trains in Japan probably only in a few places like Tokyo, but not the whole country. This is what I heard of in a few shows and I've never really seen it with my own eyes so.. *shrugs*


First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.