miracles in Edmonton: 2002
17087 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Within the remnan...
Offline
Posted 11/9/07
I was thumbing through random books in my school's poor excuse for a libary when I found a rather interesting book. I turned to a random page in the book and this is what I read:

“On the night of February 25,2001, Erika felt restless. She was in strange surroundings and wasn’t finding it particularly easy to sleep. Eventually she decided to take a little stroll. She climbed out of bed and, without bothering to dress, headed for the back door. It was bitterly cold outside –Canadian winters can be brutal and the temperature in Edmonton that night had fallen to –30C (-22F) –but one-year-old Erika was too young to understand the danger. Dressed only in a lightweight T-shirt and a diaper, she toddled barefoot out into the snow.
Within minutes, her toes, fingers, ears, and the tip of her nose fell victim to frostbite. The condition occurs when extreme heat loss from the living tissue allows ice to form inside the cells. The frozen crystals cut through the cellular membranes, causing damage that can be irreversible in severe cases.
Erika continued to loose heat dramatically. The skin is the first thing to shut down when a human being exposed to extremes of cold. This is a survival mechanism that allows the body heat to withdraw inward, protecting the vital organs. But it also allowed the frostbite to spread rapidly across her exposed arms and legs. The toddler felt no pain. Her skin was becoming hard, white and bloodless. Erika pressed on regardless.
In a twenty-five pound child, heat loss is terrifyingly swift. Her total body temperature began to plummet like a stone. Erika struggled on through a garden gate and across a yard. Degree by degree her temperature dropped. As it did so, she began to feel sleepy. When it reached 24C(75.2F), some 13C below normal, her heart stopped. No more than thirty feet from the house, Erika collapsed face forward into the snow and died.
Time crept by in the darkness. The little body continued to chill. The toes frozen together. A bubble of saliva turned t o ice and sealed her lips. Blood pooled in the stomach and facial tissue. Core temperature dropped to 16C(60.8F). Skin surface hardened. Internal organs began to freeze. Dr. Allen DeCaen of the Stollery Children’s Health Center at the University of Edmonton Hospital Remarked later that “by every textbook definition she was dead.”
At 3am, Erika’s mother, Leyla Nordby, woke to discover her daughter was no longer sharing her bed. She got up to find out where on earth the toddler might have got to. At first the thought that Erika could be outside simply did not occur to her. She began, with increasing panic, to search the house. Then, after nearly an hour, she noticed the door was ajar. Tiny footprints lead her directly to Erika’s body.
Less than ten minutes later an ambulance arrived. Among its crew was Krista Rempel, a paramedic who had been on call seven years previously when another little girl froze so completely that hypodermic needles broke on her skin. Krista forced a breathing tube between Erika’s frozen lips and wrapped her in a blanket. The ambulance team alerted the Stollery clinic.
Shortly after 4A.M., Erika’s body arrived a Stollery. Standard treatment for frostbite is a rapid thawing of the hands or feet in warm baths, but Erika was well beyond this. Doctors wheeled in a heart-lung machine and prepare her for an urgent blood transfusion which, it was hoped, might warm the body.
Then something absolutely unpredictable occurred. Before she could be attached to the machine, Erika came back to life. Her heart began to spontaneously beat again. Her temperature began to climb. Within days she was sitting up in bed complaining because her nurse wouldn’t let her watch Barney on TV.” (Death: The Mystery of Life, By: Herbie Brennan, pg. 71- 72)

I was amazed to read such an event and began to debate with myself whether this was a miracle or just a scientific phenomon. What do you guys think?
704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 11/9/07
is that true? i mean, i heard about some miracles of the appearance of Mary Mother of Jesus, survivors of cancers and some health condition or some calamities but this one is different... a child in a frozen town of edmonton survived the freaky temperature.... w0w!

same thing happens to Mr. Night creator of The Village, Lady in water and the ever famous movie the sixth sense... he got drown in a frozen pond when he was a kid, they saw him and took him out of it, they tried to gave him a heart pumping thingie and yet they lost him... they said he was dead for about 30-50 min or less, i couldn't remember the time coz i got freak out of a boy passing in a mirror, which turns out to be the one he drew when he was a kid.............

oohw... enough already...... me alone here huhuhuh

anyways, i do believe in miracles...and i don't know why.....
4021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / singapore :)
Offline
Posted 11/9/07
wow. izzit true? gosh. miracles har? sometimes u just gotta believe it. ahhh...its just so amazing! ;D
Kiki's Customer Support Service
Kiki 
100408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Nova Scotia
Offline
Posted 8/20/09
I'm going to leave this alone. I don't see how it's outdated. It's news, just like all the other news out there. =__=;
Just because it has fewer replies doesn't mean it's outdated.
I heard about this news before. Makes me want to believe in miracles.
Posted 11/9/07
wow thats amazing...
Posted 8/20/09
wth
was I supposed to read all that

~summary plz sum1
Posted 8/20/09
Ew.
Nasty.
So her body is like all blue and shit now due to the frostbite?
Kiki's Customer Support Service
Kiki 
100408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Nova Scotia
Offline
Posted 8/20/09

-Turbo- wrote:

wth
was I supposed to read all that

~summary plz sum1


=__=; Why must you have such a short attention span?
Basically a 1 year old little girl woke up at night, climbed out of her moms bed, went outside and started to freeze. Her heart stopped pounding, she fell face first into the snow, and her entire organs all started to freeze. Apparently she was completely dead (Canadian winters are extremely harsh.)
Her mom woke up, and started to search around the house, eventually she went outside and found her daughter. She called the ambulance, but the time they got to the hospital and were ready to exchange blood so it can warm up her body. Her heart randomly started to beat again.
Slowly she started to recover on her own. Basically she died and came back to life without medical attention.
Posted 8/20/09 , edited 8/20/09

Kippu wrote:


-Turbo- wrote:

wth
was I supposed to read all that

~summary plz sum1


=__=; Why must you have such a short attention span?
Basically a 1 year old little girl woke up at night, climbed out of her moms bed, went outside and started to freeze. Her heart stopped pounding, she fell face first into the snow, and her entire organs all started to freeze. Apparently she was completely dead (Canadian winters are extremely harsh.)
Her mom woke up, and started to search around the house, eventually she went outside and found her daughter. She called the ambulance, but the time they got to the hospital and were ready to exchange blood so it can warm up her body. Her heart randomly started to beat again.
Slowly she started to recover on her own. Basically she died and came back to life without medical attention.


wth
why r u being nice 2 me now, is this the new mod version of kippu

nice story, but what was the miracle?
didnt her mom like wrap her up ina blanket
or something and so her body got warm again

I was expecting, "her mother then whispered
in her ear...remember your promise after daddy
left us on christmas eve to 'never let another
little girls heart hurt during beautiful snowy holiday time.'"
Then her mother kisses her and her heart starts back up...

I coulda wrote a better miracle haha
this just sounds like some irresposible parenting
Kiki's Customer Support Service
Kiki 
100408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Nova Scotia
Offline
Posted 8/20/09 , edited 8/20/09

-Turbo- wrote:

wth
why r u being nice 2 me now, is this the new mod version of kippu

nice story, but what was the miracle?
didnt her mom like wrap her up ina blanket
or something and so her body got warm again

I was expecting, "her mother then whispered
in her ear...remember your promise after daddy
left us on christmas eve to 'never let another
little girls heart hurt during beautiful snowy holiday time.'"
Then her mother kisses her and her heart starts back up...

I coulda wrote a better miracle haha
this just sounds like some irresposible parenting


I was never rude to you to begin with.
As for the miracle, she was completely dead. Her entire body was frozen, including her organs and heart. She came back to life without doctors touching her. And your story seems something ripped out of a movie

As for the mother. I thought it was pretty irresponsible too. But then again when I was 2, I would sleep on my moms bed as well, and sometimes sneak out in the middle of the night when I got scared or bored.



Edit to below:

leilockheart you talking to me? o_O
311274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/20/09 , edited 8/20/09
^ wow! these two guys spammed the thread..

anyway, no comment,,

edit:
nothing is impossible..

17562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 8/20/09
oh my god O.O
Posted 8/20/09 , edited 8/20/09

Kippu wrote:


-Turbo- wrote:

wth
why r u being nice 2 me now, is this the new mod version of kippu

nice story, but what was the miracle?
didnt her mom like wrap her up ina blanket
or something and so her body got warm again

I was expecting, "her mother then whispered
in her ear...remember your promise after daddy
left us on christmas eve to 'never let another
little girls heart hurt during beautiful snowy holiday time.'"
Then her mother kisses her and her heart starts back up...

I coulda wrote a better miracle haha
this just sounds like some irresposible parenting


I was never rude to you to begin with.
As for the miracle, she was completely dead. Her entire body was frozen, including her organs and heart. She came back to life without doctors touching her. And your story seems something ripped out of a movie

As for the mother. I thought it was pretty irresponsible too. But then again when I was 2, I would sleep on my moms bed as well, and sometimes sneak out in the middle of the night when I got scared or bored.



Edit to below:

leilockheart you talking to me? o_O


are you telling me you love me? o_o
Im loved by kippu? idk what 2 say...but you know how I feel about animoo >_>
so you want me to give you a chance?

(and yes ur always mean, i brace myself when i see ur name in my notifications)

haha thanks, Ill take that as a compliment..wow my off the top of my
head imagination is movie worthy?...fantastic...ya kno i was gona go 2 film skol 1nce
I still think her mom just warmed her up and her body slowly started
working again, I still didnt read the whole story though...
still my version Im sure is better
your mom was irresponsible too
mayb thats why u went on to become a crunchyroll forum mod Lulz!
Just teasing hehehe

but thanks you made me want to write a screenplay now
ill mention kippu when im winning my academy award
Posted 8/20/09
^Definitely feel the heat between these two.
Kind of like an old, married couple.
How sweet.
Posted 9/19/09
That was quite fascinating... i do believe in miracles.
You must be logged in to post.