First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Why not live without religion?
155 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/29/08 , edited 4/29/08

AbtanKeroS wrote:

hmmm~!! i'm aethiest but i feel no different about people with or without a religion c'mon guys settle down... there really shouldn't be a religion thread like this... it always ends very badly.


True as long as we keep it civil and no names calling :). It's always good to have some debates on it. You must appreciate the freedom of writing and thinking sometimes... And to think that you do really get kill for just saying something in different parts of the world.
6067 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Philippines
Offline
Posted 4/29/08

sabekuji_kaneda wrote:
I don't believe that part either, about Humans dominating over all the other life forms on Earth. I blame that little fact to the cause of pollution and illegal logging. It would mean that if we start caring for the environment than we would be going against what God wanted us to do, to dominate everything. This is why I don't know how to categorize myself into: an Atheist or a Believer?


Looks like everyone has similar problems with their 'faith'. The actions people are taking nowadays make it seem like religion is just an excuse to abuse our surroundings. It's a different topic though, if we talk about the capability of humans to actually 'dominate' this planet.
7474 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Parañaque, Philip...
Offline
Posted 4/29/08

kakashix2006 wrote:

Sabekuji:

I fully appreciate your point of view on this topic and the explanations (finally! ). Religion is quite a sensitive topic; it involves one's whole belief system and with it, his own personality too. I, myself, am Atheist (some might consider being Atheist as an religion too!!!) but was raised as a Protestant.

To resume your first statement, you referred religion as guidelines and directives and you also noted the fundamentals of religion on laws and constitutions for countries. With this in mind, two questions for you: Religion = Mass control? And whom does it profit?


Religion = Mass Control? It could be. Osama did succeed in using Islam as a tool to wage war on the world. Some religions (especially Christianity) did benefit from this in the past but now there is a separation of the Church and State. There are people in the Church that are greedy and take profit from their preachings and such.
7474 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Parañaque, Philip...
Offline
Posted 4/29/08

greenbane wrote:


sabekuji_kaneda wrote:
I don't believe that part either, about Humans dominating over all the other life forms on Earth. I blame that little fact to the cause of pollution and illegal logging. It would mean that if we start caring for the environment than we would be going against what God wanted us to do, to dominate everything. This is why I don't know how to categorize myself into: an Atheist or a Believer?


Looks like everyone has similar problems with their 'faith'. The actions people are taking nowadays make it seem like religion is just an excuse to abuse our surroundings. It's a different topic though, if we talk about the capability of humans to actually 'dominate' this planet.


The problem lies with the translations of holy scriptures. Sometimes translators of holy scriptures would misinterpret the said material that's why some people become confuse on which to follow. What "dominate the world" would mean to a translated Bible would mean differently to the original. To eliminate such confusion, my Theology professor told us to interpret the Bible (or any scripture for that matter) in our own way and that it's up to us if we should take it seriously.
609 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 4/29/08
I agree with you for some reason religion just causes war instead of peace, for me I could care less about religion. I've always asked people if there was a religion for those who didn' t care if God existed or not. It's not that I don't believe its just I don't care. I'm a catholic and the only religious event I celebrate is Christmas.
6067 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Philippines
Offline
Posted 4/29/08

sabekuji_kaneda wrote:
The problem lies with the translations of holy scriptures. Sometimes translators of holy scriptures would misinterpret the said material that's why some people become confuse on which to follow. What "dominate the world" would mean to a translated Bible would mean differently to the original. To eliminate such confusion, my Theology professor told us to interpret the Bible (or any scripture for that matter) in our own way and that it's up to us if we should take it seriously.


That sounds like the Martin Luther days. It seems like the best way to understand the scriptures. There're are constant debates about the scriptures' meanings, but I guess the problem lies in the people who don't want to think for themselves, and they just follow whatever the preachers call the Word of God...
4122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / just here.
Offline
Posted 4/29/08
im gonna be blunt but i think religion is really not necessary.
i think its something that people use to lean on to
in times of need because tangible things are no longer of any use
...or something like that.

:3
343 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / London, uk
Offline
Posted 4/29/08

sabekuji_kaneda wrote:


hikura wrote:


sabekuji_kaneda wrote:

Hmm... I guess without religion, the world will have no laws or morals. I mean, it is in religion where you'll find most things like "forgive and you shall be forgiven" and "do unto others what you want others to do to you". Basically, you can trace most laws found in any country's constitution to a religion. Without religion, I guess the world wouldn't be as it is right now. Besides, without a God to fear, what's stopping you to do anything you wish like hurting someone or stealing things?

(correct me if I'm wrong) -_-


Lol, religion does not stop us from doing these things the law and police does, those quote's are just quote's, plenty of them from non-religious places.
Everyone has a sense of wrong and right, Without religion the world would be a better place, all these pointless wars and lifes lost because of some beleife someone else doesnt beleive in, well maybe it wouldnt be that different, without a god to fear? lol does your religion require you to fear your god? if so im confused at what kinda religion your following, to rule with fear is to rule unjustly and inhumanly, ruling with fear is good maybe you'd say? *not saying you would* just saying supposidly*
If you have to rule with fear what kinda god are you, if there is a god why is the world such a fucked up place, if their is a god why is there so many religions, if there is a god why did every religion start from a human?
Why is it that the older something is and the less you know about something the more you beleive it, wouldnt normally you think the other way around?
and when did religion form? where you there, how do you know of this religion? when you were born was it the first thing you knew?
stop living your life for someone else.
*sorry if i offended anyone* just proving my point :P
and if you think i have no experience with religion, your wrong, my family are muslims, i am not lol.


Umm... the quotes just served as an example. I couldn't recall any phrases from the Bible so I used those quotes as an example. But the lesson found in those quotes can also be found in almost every religions scriptures. What I'm saying in that particular sentence is that laws in this world are born from the lessons learned in the many holy scriptures found throughout.

Without religion, I'm guessing it would be hard to sense right from wrong, wouldn't it? Your judgment of the two would be limited to fearing the punishment the society would befall to you if ever you did something wrong or the prizes it would give you if you did something right. It would then be easy to ignore the punishments the law has provided if you wish (for example) you want to get back at someone. Now, if you believed in a religion then maybe people would think twice of committing such atrocities since they believe that they will be punished in the after life. This also what I meant about "fearing God". In my religion (Christianity) God is merciful and forgiving but he will punish those who take advantage of this.

There are also many religions in the world because people have many interpretations about God. It does not mean that each religion has a different God, it just means that they see God differently than others and that they wish to believe in Him in their own way.

I personally believe that God just watches and that no matter how much I pray to him to help me with my problems, he won't come down and give me and helping hand.

This is, of course, with respect to your point of view.



Heh glad we both recpect each other's PoV :P
Back to anime yataa lol

11277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Iloilo City, PH
Offline
Posted 4/29/08
control the people with the fear of eternal damnation and that you have a monopoly on morality...? sure why not...
sygish 
32188 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 4/29/08
At its base religion can be stripped down to a life philosophy. You'd still have one with atheism. Yours can still differ when compared to another's even if you are both atheist. Removing supernatural, divine or spiritual aspects won't suddenly make all people's viewpoints uniform. Atheists who proclaim peace would come about simply by removing some portion of faith from people are usually more delusional than the people they despise for having that faith.
Posted 4/29/08

music190 wrote:

WELL THAT WILL BE GREAT! Because if there is no Religion, then that means you're either a Christian or an Atheist.


wait how does that work?
15270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / in a parallel uni...
Offline
Posted 4/29/08
I think it's because teh people say that you need aguidence of your life and that what brought religion so that their lives would have meaningand not to have fear of dying cause with out the existance of teh affter life more people will be affraid to die but give the person a reason to not fear death and he would accept it as a part of life cause that person believes that he would live again in another place
15396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/29/08
The Soviet Union. Communism. Stalin. Marxism. It's a good thing we all pay attention to history.
Posted 4/29/08
I don't really have a religion. I don't go to church although I've gone with friends (respectively for them) but I just felt so out of place. I definitely talk to myself when I'm down. But I live a pretty happy, lively and honest life
Posted 4/29/08 , edited 4/29/08

music190 wrote:


sad120 wrote:


music190 wrote:

WELL THAT WILL BE GREAT! Because if there is no Religion, then that means you're either a Christian or an Atheist.


wait how does that work?


Jesus Christ: God’s Way of Getting to Heaven
The big lie is that being a part of a religion will get you to heaven. Religion has done more to send people to hell than all the porno dealers and drug dealers combined. Satan has used religion as a counterfeit and a substitute to keep people away from Jesus Christ.

The biggest lie of the snake is that all religions lead to God. If you believe in the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man you will be going to heaven. All roads lead to heaven and we are all going to end up at the same place.

I have a friend who says that he is 33 percent Catholic, 33 percent Mormon, 33 percent Jewish and 1 percent Christian. He simply says he is covering all his bases. He likes the rituals and architecture of the Catholics, the family values of the Mormons, the higher education of the Jewish people, and concludes that because he believes in Christ and attends Spirit-filled, evangelical fellowships, he is an authentic Christian. This is truly a picture of a person’s conscience hiding behind religion.

Religion is based on human achievement. Christianity is based on God’s divine achievement. Religion is man’s way of getting to heaven. Jesus is God’s way of getting to heaven. Read this incredible proclamation from Jesus Christ. Jesus saith unto him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6 King James Version).

Religions have their own prophets
Muslims – Prophet Mohammad
Catholics – Pope
Jews – Abraham, Isaac, Jacob
Mormons – Joseph Smith
Protestants – Reformers
God Almighty – Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ is not a religion. I cannot over emphasize that entrance to heaven comes through an encounter with Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is not a religion, denomination, doctrine, or a cult. He is not a set of rules and philosophies. He is not a Catholic, Protestant, or a Mormon or a Muslim. He is God Almighty and He went to the cross to suffer for your sins and save you from eternal death. He is a living God who wants to save you from your sins and its penalty.

The word Jesus means Jehovah – God saves. The word savior means to rescue from danger. Jesus loves you so much that he became a man. He suffered in your place for your sins so that you could be forgiven. He rose from the dead to rescue you from being separated from God forever. Name one other religious leader or prophet who proclaimed he could forgive your sins and rise from the dead. Authentic Christianity is a relationship with Jesus Christ not a religion.



no its still a religions, people still believe in it, and what u just said any one from any of those religions can say something like that, and no i cant name a religion that includes a prophet returning from the dead, but every religion believes in a god so its still a religion because u still believe in god, and its not a relationship its a belief in jesus, u cant have a relationship with jesus, unless u have a word for that relationship?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.