First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Ancestry: Un/Importance of it
6598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Colorado
Offline
Posted 4/28/08 , edited 1/11/09
I'm curious about the people's views in knowing their family's lineage and how much it matters.

There are a lot of people who live out the lives of their ancestors. Some get obsessed about finding out who there ancestors are or who they are related to at present. There were tons of articles published saying that Obama was 10th cousins with Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie with Clinton and Celine Dion, McCain with Bush, et cetera et cetera.

Here's a fact that I would like to share with all of you:
There's a term called Ancestor-worship, aka Ancestor Veneration or Ancestorism. Basically, it's the belief that the deceased relatives are still existing and that the family must continue on its filial duty to take care of these 'ancestors.'

What is up with this obsession of knowing your whole family lineage?


So what's your opinion about it? You could also share some of your family history/ancestry if you know of it
Hm, I'll begin by...
stating my own family history, my family was from mainland China, and they basically are very traditional and has this thing with telling all the young children that we should be proud of our clan since we descended form the royals. My ama (grandma) and angkong (grandpa) kept telling me that our family are descendants of the Li family who founded the T'ang dynasty, and basically they never stopped blabbing about it, well my ama stopped cause my angkong died so she didn't have anyone who would willingly blab about it. But it's nice to know where I came from, it's just not something that I really need to take at heart, cause well the T'ang dynasty is over, and I really don't care about what happened in the past although it is nice knowing about one's past.

For me, it's nice knowing about my own family history but I think it's really unnecessary to dwell on it or obsess about it. Live your own life and not someone else's. Make your own legacy and not continue the legacy of others. Carpediem I say. But that's just my opinion.
2011 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Inside your head...
Offline
Posted 4/29/08 , edited 4/29/08
Only really good reasons to know family lineage is just to find out any genetic conditions that may pass on health problems, as well as to avoid marrying any close siblings/relatives that may have been legitimately or illegitimately spawned by my parents. lol.

Plus its fun to know where your ancestors come from, some may be from completely different countries and have had their own unique culture that they have originated from.

I for one was shocked that my great grandma was Chinese from my dad's side. I didn't see that one coming. I still need to find out more though.
8715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 4/29/08
Oh dear, someone actually made a thread about this... Well actually I agree with you complete geeene_16. I get really pissed off when asian people all of the suddenly attack someone because the person isn't obsessed with his/her culture. For example: Tila Tequila. The girl is a complete slut, a complete whore bag, and she's an ugly attention whore. You may know that she got herself a show, and then people started complaining about her changing her name (which it's really just her stage name), they also complained about her not caring for her heritage. She did have Vietnamese food in one episode near the end, but I was just annoyed at the people expecting her to talk about being Vietnamese every episode. I don't like the girl, but responses I heard from people just totally pissed me off.

When I was younger many asians would always call me a disgrace, but I really didn't get offended, I just got annoyed. Many people are just too obsessed with their race now, including asians. They keep going "ASIAN PRIDE!!! GOT RICE!?"... they become less flamboyant over the years, but you can tell it's still in them. I want to know what my ancestors were like, but I'm not going to show off about it if I have nothing to do with it. I saw basically the same thing you say with the "Make your own legacy and not continue the legacy of others." I'm myself, not my grandfather.
6598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Colorado
Offline
Posted 4/29/08 , edited 4/29/08

HokiePokie wrote:

Oh dear, someone actually made a thread about this... Well actually I agree with you complete geeene_16. I get really pissed off when asian people all of the suddenly attack someone because the person isn't obsessed with his/her culture. For example: Tila Tequila. The girl is a complete slut, a complete whore bag, and she's an ugly attention whore. You may know that she got herself a show, and then people started complaining about her changing her name (which it's really just her stage name), they also complained about her not caring for her heritage. She did have Vietnamese food in one episode near the end, but I was just annoyed at the people expecting her to talk about being Vietnamese every episode. I don't like the girl, but responses I heard from people just totally pissed me off.

When I was younger many asians would always call me a disgrace, but I really didn't get offended, I just got annoyed. Many people are just too obsessed with their race now, including asians. They keep going "ASIAN PRIDE!!! GOT RICE!?"... they become less flamboyant over the years, but you can tell it's still in them. I want to know what my ancestors were like, but I'm not going to show off about it if I have nothing to do with it. I saw basically the same thing you say with the "Make your own legacy and not continue the legacy of others." I'm myself, not my grandfather.


Exactly. That's why I made this thread, because I was also curious if someone feels the same way I do. I mean, that was the past, so why do people want to repeat or relive it? There's nothing wrong with being proud of your race or where you came from, but keep it down a notch. I mean some people just go to extremes, and they even boast that they're related to this guy who's famous et cetera, while they're far relatives. (T.T") I just don't get why some people don't realize that it's the past for a reason. And they're ancestors are dead for a reason. Oh and I have the same thoughts about Tila Tequila. What she's doing is really demeaning to women, how can you expect to fall in love with someone when you're practically letting yourself be shared by everyone? And it's the same for any other reality dating shows (-.-")
8715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 4/29/08

geeene_16 wrote:


HokiePokie wrote:

Oh dear, someone actually made a thread about this... Well actually I agree with you complete geeene_16. I get really pissed off when asian people all of the suddenly attack someone because the person isn't obsessed with his/her culture. For example: Tila Tequila. The girl is a complete slut, a complete whore bag, and she's an ugly attention whore. You may know that she got herself a show, and then people started complaining about her changing her name (which it's really just her stage name), they also complained about her not caring for her heritage. She did have Vietnamese food in one episode near the end, but I was just annoyed at the people expecting her to talk about being Vietnamese every episode. I don't like the girl, but responses I heard from people just totally pissed me off.

When I was younger many asians would always call me a disgrace, but I really didn't get offended, I just got annoyed. Many people are just too obsessed with their race now, including asians. They keep going "ASIAN PRIDE!!! GOT RICE!?"... they become less flamboyant over the years, but you can tell it's still in them. I want to know what my ancestors were like, but I'm not going to show off about it if I have nothing to do with it. I saw basically the same thing you say with the "Make your own legacy and not continue the legacy of others." I'm myself, not my grandfather.


Exactly. That's why I made this thread, because I was also curious if someone feels the same way I do. I mean, that was the past, so why do people want to repeat or relive it? There's nothing wrong with being proud of your race or where you came from, but keep it down a notch. I mean some people just go to extremes, and they even boast that they're related to this guy who's famous et cetera, while they're far relatives. (T.T") I just don't get why some people don't realize that it's the past for a reason. And they're ancestors are dead for a reason. Oh and I have the same thoughts about Tila Tequila. What she's doing is really demeaning to women, how can you expect to fall in love with someone when you're practically letting yourself be shared by everyone? And it's the same for any other reality dating shows (-.-")


Lol, I actually have a famous cousin in Vietnam. He's a singer.. he's even on CR. But I really wouldn't show off about it because the music he sings isn't good at all, lets just say I'd be embarrassed. I wish I had a cousin who wasn't a crappy pop music singer... Yeah, showing off that you have a famous cousin is pretty pathetic imo. Basically what you're saying is "This guy is better than me, I'll take some of his fame to make me look better." :-/
6598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Colorado
Offline
Posted 4/29/08

HokiePokie wrote:


geeene_16 wrote:


HokiePokie wrote:

Oh dear, someone actually made a thread about this... Well actually I agree with you complete geeene_16. I get really pissed off when asian people all of the suddenly attack someone because the person isn't obsessed with his/her culture. For example: Tila Tequila. The girl is a complete slut, a complete whore bag, and she's an ugly attention whore. You may know that she got herself a show, and then people started complaining about her changing her name (which it's really just her stage name), they also complained about her not caring for her heritage. She did have Vietnamese food in one episode near the end, but I was just annoyed at the people expecting her to talk about being Vietnamese every episode. I don't like the girl, but responses I heard from people just totally pissed me off.

When I was younger many asians would always call me a disgrace, but I really didn't get offended, I just got annoyed. Many people are just too obsessed with their race now, including asians. They keep going "ASIAN PRIDE!!! GOT RICE!?"... they become less flamboyant over the years, but you can tell it's still in them. I want to know what my ancestors were like, but I'm not going to show off about it if I have nothing to do with it. I saw basically the same thing you say with the "Make your own legacy and not continue the legacy of others." I'm myself, not my grandfather.


Exactly. That's why I made this thread, because I was also curious if someone feels the same way I do. I mean, that was the past, so why do people want to repeat or relive it? There's nothing wrong with being proud of your race or where you came from, but keep it down a notch. I mean some people just go to extremes, and they even boast that they're related to this guy who's famous et cetera, while they're far relatives. (T.T") I just don't get why some people don't realize that it's the past for a reason. And they're ancestors are dead for a reason. Oh and I have the same thoughts about Tila Tequila. What she's doing is really demeaning to women, how can you expect to fall in love with someone when you're practically letting yourself be shared by everyone? And it's the same for any other reality dating shows (-.-")


Lol, I actually have a famous cousin in Vietnam. He's a singer.. he's even on CR. But I really wouldn't show off about it because the music he sings isn't good at all, lets just say I'd be embarrassed. I wish I had a cousin who wasn't a crappy pop music singer... Yeah, showing off that you have a famous cousin is pretty pathetic imo. Basically what you're saying is "This guy is better than me, I'll take some of his fame to make me look better." :-/

Yeah, I mean it's okay with saying hey I'm related to this famous bla bla bla bla like what you said. But some people actually boast about it to other people and it's not even their life. That's disturbing.
1433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 4/29/08 , edited 4/29/08
I tend to look down on behavior that follows tradition simply for the sake of tradition (if the tradition is actually useful in its accomplishment of some worthwhile purpose, that's fine), including behavior of this sort. As far as I know, this is the only life I get, so I'm not going to re-live that of another.

Even worse is this ancestor worship you mention. I see no evidence to believe that those who came before me still exist today nor that I should be necessarily proud or interested in them.

Until I find a good reason to consciously follow a rule that dictates how I should think, feel, and act, I dismiss it.
4095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Los Angeles, Cali...
Offline
Posted 4/29/08
i don't know much about my family history, but on my dads side the first record of a stiteler was a german living in the alsace-lorraine region of france in the 1600's. the rest of the family speculate he was a hessian mercenary under british command who migrated there after a war.

on my other side, its less clear. there are tons and tons of mckormicks in the world and we can't tell where exactly our family came from. and i don't really know anything about the russian side of my family either....
3929 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / My body lives in...
Offline
Posted 4/30/08
The Mormon Church (LDS or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) is well known for their collection of genealogy records--you might want to check the site

http://www.ancestorhunt.com/mormon_church_records.htm
1328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Closing in
Offline
Posted 4/30/08
They say you must have someone who made something of himself in your family. I've seen my family tree. Just peasants, fishermen, railroad workers and miners everyone of them. So depressing. I shall never look again. Also: they never did anything. Like during the occupation: nothing. Except for the one that slept with a German. The future can be the same as the past, but it can't be worse unless we turn into a lineage of prostitutes or something.
Posted 4/30/08 , edited 4/30/08

HokiePokie wrote:
When I was younger many asians would always call me a disgrace, but I really didn't get offended, I just got annoyed. Many people are just too obsessed with their race now, including asians. They keep going "ASIAN PRIDE!!! GOT RICE!?"... they become less flamboyant over the years, but you can tell it's still in them. I want to know what my ancestors were like, but I'm not going to show off about it if I have nothing to do with it. I saw basically the same thing you say with the "Make your own legacy and not continue the legacy of others." I'm myself, not my grandfather.


Yeah, back in the day when "AZN PRYDE" was in, I was called a disgrace by a former friend. It was ridiculous, because he only got on my back for not being fluent in my native tongue. LOL, looking back at it now, "AZN PRYDE" really made no sense, seeing as how wearing all black and having dyed, spiky hair had nothing to do with an Asian individual's heirtage or history.

Anyways, I like knowing my heritage, because as my parents always say, "Remember where you come from." It's cool knowing your grandparents were orphans and fled to America during the Vietnam War, or that your dad came to America when he was only 17 and only had 50 bucks in his pocket and didn't know any English.

It's kind of inspiring, no?

And while on I'm on a nostalgia trip, I might as well bring up a video that was cool during the "AZN PRYDE" movement. (Yes, that's what all the Asian guys tried to look like back then--At least where I lived.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVWHH7Er3KE

And to think many young, impressionable Asian kids (myself included) thought that was the shit back then. LOL.

6598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Colorado
Offline
Posted 5/8/08

ATAndTruong wrote:


HokiePokie wrote:
When I was younger many asians would always call me a disgrace, but I really didn't get offended, I just got annoyed. Many people are just too obsessed with their race now, including asians. They keep going "ASIAN PRIDE!!! GOT RICE!?"... they become less flamboyant over the years, but you can tell it's still in them. I want to know what my ancestors were like, but I'm not going to show off about it if I have nothing to do with it. I saw basically the same thing you say with the "Make your own legacy and not continue the legacy of others." I'm myself, not my grandfather.


Yeah, back in the day when "AZN PRYDE" was in, I was called a disgrace by a former friend. It was ridiculous, because he only got on my back for not being fluent in my native tongue. LOL, looking back at it now, "AZN PRYDE" really made no sense, seeing as how wearing all black and having dyed, spiky hair had nothing to do with an Asian individual's heirtage or history.

Anyways, I like knowing my heritage, because as my parents always say, "Remember where you come from." It's cool knowing your grandparents were orphans and fled to America during the Vietnam War, or that your dad came to America when he was only 17 and only had 50 bucks in his pocket and didn't know any English.

It's kind of inspiring, no?

And while on I'm on a nostalgia trip, I might as well bring up a video that was cool during the "AZN PRYDE" movement. (Yes, that's what all the Asian guys tried to look like back then--At least where I lived.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVWHH7Er3KE

And to think many young, impressionable Asian kids (myself included) thought that was the shit back then. LOL.


AZN PRYDE? Seriously, I never heard of that even though I'm Asian. (T.T") Is that an extremist trend of Asian rules and others suck kind of thing?
1112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / F
Offline
Posted 5/8/08
It would be nice to know my ancestors, but I'm surviving fine w/o knowing a thing about most of them. I know that on my fathers side they were don cossacks and kulaks at the same time. My grandmother on my dad's side comes from a well known Latvian family. I honestly don't know why they were respected in Latvia. Her last name was Podense if anyone wants to know. That's pretty much all I know about my ancestory.
Posted 5/8/08

geeene_16 wrote:


ATAndTruong wrote:


HokiePokie wrote:
When I was younger many asians would always call me a disgrace, but I really didn't get offended, I just got annoyed. Many people are just too obsessed with their race now, including asians. They keep going "ASIAN PRIDE!!! GOT RICE!?"... they become less flamboyant over the years, but you can tell it's still in them. I want to know what my ancestors were like, but I'm not going to show off about it if I have nothing to do with it. I saw basically the same thing you say with the "Make your own legacy and not continue the legacy of others." I'm myself, not my grandfather.


Yeah, back in the day when "AZN PRYDE" was in, I was called a disgrace by a former friend. It was ridiculous, because he only got on my back for not being fluent in my native tongue. LOL, looking back at it now, "AZN PRYDE" really made no sense, seeing as how wearing all black and having dyed, spiky hair had nothing to do with an Asian individual's heirtage or history.

Anyways, I like knowing my heritage, because as my parents always say, "Remember where you come from." It's cool knowing your grandparents were orphans and fled to America during the Vietnam War, or that your dad came to America when he was only 17 and only had 50 bucks in his pocket and didn't know any English.

It's kind of inspiring, no?

And while on I'm on a nostalgia trip, I might as well bring up a video that was cool during the "AZN PRYDE" movement. (Yes, that's what all the Asian guys tried to look like back then--At least where I lived.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVWHH7Er3KE

And to think many young, impressionable Asian kids (myself included) thought that was the shit back then. LOL.


AZN PRYDE? Seriously, I never heard of that even though I'm Asian. (T.T") Is that an extremist trend of Asian rules and others suck kind of thing?

It was a fad back in like 2000. This is the song that started it all:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LlfnM_GIs04

Disregard the video. I was only trying to find the song (not a Naruto fan, myself).

Here's a Wiki article on "AZN PRYDE".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_pride
Posted 5/9/08 , edited 5/9/08

chinky_sonny wrote:
The Mormon Church (LDS or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) is well known for their collection of genealogy records--you might want to check the site

That's because they believe that you need to go find who your dead relatives were so they can be properly LDS baptized post mortum. It's almost a sort of ancestor worship.

I think some of this has to do with people trying to feel better about themselves, but it can also make you feel worse. My mother claims that my father's side of the family "might" be descended from some guy who signed the US declaration of independence, but it's a fact that some ancestors on my mother's side owned slaves. For either thing I don't care because I wasn't alive then and didn't have anything to do with anything they were doing.

As for the Tang dynasty, well China has been going through hell for the past few hundred years so it's not surprising that people want to think about the Tang dynasty, when China dominated the rest of the world, rather than the last two or three centuries. Why do you think they have so many historical dramas on TV?

I wish Chinese people would make more sci-fi shows but then the communist party will get pissed off if they don't exist in the future :)

Anyway, veneration of ancestors is part of Confucianism and it does relate to holding society together. It's hard to care about shaming your ancestors if you don't know who they are or don't think they're anyone special.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.