First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Ancestry: Un/Importance of it
79213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 5/9/08
I think it is interesting to know your ultimate roots, my family has roots in the family of Leif Eriksson.

It is always good to know your roots. But it should not rule your life. You should not run around declaring you are the 10th cousin of famous people. Or that you are a different ethnicity because you have another, severely deluded, ethnicity in your family tree. We should all find definition in the here and now, not in the past.

Because on some level we are all related to each other.
1104 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 5/9/08
Yes I think it's very important to know your lineage. It makes you more interesting as person. and you'll be open to more things.
2386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Wilson, NC
Offline
Posted 1/9/09
yes, it's important because it's part of who you are. It would make you think on how to view life.
1186 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Leading your nigh...
Offline
Posted 1/9/09 , edited 1/9/09
Not really. I just know mine because throughout my life I picked up bits an pieces from here an there and put it all together.

My mom's side is way more interesting than my dads. My great grandmother (from grandfathers side) was Italian. After struggling for a long time she was finally able to marry my great grandfather who was Moroccan). My other great-grandmother (from my grandmothers side) was turkish and she married my other great-grandfather who was also Italian.

My fathers side is more straight forward. His mom is Moroccan and his dad is Sudanese. In one word I am: Mulatto!
20924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 1/9/09
aristocratss.......
7442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Tampa, FL
Offline
Posted 1/9/09
Umm...well, I just know bits and pieces.

My mom's side is Cuban. On my grandma's side, my great great grandmother from her mom's side came from the Canary Islands. Her dad had the last name Casanova, which means there is likely Italian ancestry, if not a relation to Casanova himself. On my grandpa's side, we traced back his ancestry to a woman with the last name Perez from the Canary Islands in the 1500s.

My dad's side is Asian Indian. Most likely with some British and Chinese mixed in which can be assumed from some of the coloring and facial features. They deny it, though.

Eh...my family's history from the last few generations is way more interesting than anything from a long time ago. I would tell, but it's too long.
915 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Arizona
Offline
Posted 1/10/09
I actually want to know where i'm from..

I would like to know my bloodline beyond my great great grandmother..

I want to know my history..
2319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / where the grass i...
Offline
Posted 1/10/09 , edited 1/10/09
to original poster: its not all about continuing their legacy. It's knowing how your ancestors lived and if you should be proud of it or not.

Your ancestors also can be your good example in life.

Mother side.
My mother side came from a Chinese race. During the rise of communism in China, my angkong have to flee where in the process, she left his first wife. My ankong, who maybe was a peasant, said that life was so harsh in China back that they have to make their own slippers. My ankong arrived in Jolo, Sulu (in Philippines) where he met my grandmother, a country girl from Dumaguete. In the long run, angkong made a living, and had children then grandchildren (including me) then great grand children.

Father side
My father side came from Ilokos (our family name is Delizo, which means "of seed"). Four brothers from Ilocos Sur ventured to find their fortune. One went to Baguio, second, went to Nueva Ecija, third, went to Pangasinan and fourth went to Bulacan.

blah blah blah. Our family has a long history. Oh, my grandfather fought in the world war II, my father is a military officer, and me, a nurse. My father said, " Let me be the last killer in the family." LOL. As if he killed a thousand.

BTW, our clan is so small that if we have the same family name and lives in the locations where the four brothers went (including cotobato and ilolilo), he/she must be a relative.
894 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 1/10/09
i heard im the decendent of superman..
2510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/10/09
I think one should know his/her ancestry, especially those born in different countries.
Posted 1/10/09
Knowing one's ancestry is not important in the least. I don't know my ancestry, and if I did, I don't see how it would impact my life or personality in any way.
2279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Omnipresent
Offline
Posted 1/10/09

geeene_16 wrote:

I'm curious about the people's views in knowing their family's lineage and how much it matters.

There are a lot of people who live out the lives of their ancestors. Some get obsessed about finding out who there ancestors are or who they are related to at present. There were tons of articles published saying that Obama was 10th cousins with Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie with Clinton and Celine Dion, McCain with Bush, et cetera et cetera.

Here's a fact that I would like to share with all of you:
There's a term called Ancestor-worship, aka Ancestor Veneration or Ancestorism. Basically, it's the belief that the deceased relatives are still existing and that the family must continue on its filial duty to take care of these 'ancestors.'

What is up with this obsession of knowing your whole family lineage?


So what's your opinion about it? You could also share some of your family history/ancestry if you know of it
Hm, I'll begin by...
stating my own family history, my family was from mainland China, and they basically are very traditional and has this thing with telling all the young children that we should be proud of our clan since we descended form the royals. My ama (grandma) and angkong (grandpa) kept telling me that our family are descendants of the Li family who founded the T'ang dynasty, and basically they never stopped blabbing about it, well my ama stopped cause my angkong died so she didn't have anyone who would willingly blab about it. But it's nice to know where I came from, it's just not something that I really need to take at heart, cause well the T'ang dynasty is over, and I really don't care about what happened in the past. Only the present matters for me.

For me, it's nice knowing about my own family history but I think it's really unnecessary to dwell on it. Live your own life and not someone else's. Make your own legacy and not continue the legacy of others. Carpediem I say. But that's just my opinion.


Who are you to tell them about their family's history?
8221 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / yamaku
Offline
Posted 1/10/09

JacopeX wrote:



Who are you to tell them about their family's history?


She's geeene_16 duh
6598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Colorado
Offline
Posted 1/11/09

JacopeX wrote:


geeene_16 wrote:

I'm curious about the people's views in knowing their family's lineage and how much it matters.

There are a lot of people who live out the lives of their ancestors. Some get obsessed about finding out who there ancestors are or who they are related to at present. There were tons of articles published saying that Obama was 10th cousins with Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie with Clinton and Celine Dion, McCain with Bush, et cetera et cetera.

Here's a fact that I would like to share with all of you:
There's a term called Ancestor-worship, aka Ancestor Veneration or Ancestorism. Basically, it's the belief that the deceased relatives are still existing and that the family must continue on its filial duty to take care of these 'ancestors.'

What is up with this obsession of knowing your whole family lineage?


So what's your opinion about it? You could also share some of your family history/ancestry if you know of it
Hm, I'll begin by...
stating my own family history, my family was from mainland China, and they basically are very traditional and has this thing with telling all the young children that we should be proud of our clan since we descended form the royals. My ama (grandma) and angkong (grandpa) kept telling me that our family are descendants of the Li family who founded the T'ang dynasty, and basically they never stopped blabbing about it, well my ama stopped cause my angkong died so she didn't have anyone who would willingly blab about it. But it's nice to know where I came from, it's just not something that I really need to take at heart, cause well the T'ang dynasty is over, and I really don't care about what happened in the past. Only the present matters for me.

For me, it's nice knowing about my own family history but I think it's really unnecessary to dwell on it. Live your own life and not someone else's. Make your own legacy and not continue the legacy of others. Carpediem I say. But that's just my opinion.


Who are you to tell them about their family's history?


I wasn't aware that I told whoever this "them" you speak of about "their" family's history.

2279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Omnipresent
Offline
Posted 1/11/09

geeene_16 wrote:


JacopeX wrote:


geeene_16 wrote:

I'm curious about the people's views in knowing their family's lineage and how much it matters.

There are a lot of people who live out the lives of their ancestors. Some get obsessed about finding out who there ancestors are or who they are related to at present. There were tons of articles published saying that Obama was 10th cousins with Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie with Clinton and Celine Dion, McCain with Bush, et cetera et cetera.

Here's a fact that I would like to share with all of you:
There's a term called Ancestor-worship, aka Ancestor Veneration or Ancestorism. Basically, it's the belief that the deceased relatives are still existing and that the family must continue on its filial duty to take care of these 'ancestors.'

What is up with this obsession of knowing your whole family lineage?


So what's your opinion about it? You could also share some of your family history/ancestry if you know of it
Hm, I'll begin by...
stating my own family history, my family was from mainland China, and they basically are very traditional and has this thing with telling all the young children that we should be proud of our clan since we descended form the royals. My ama (grandma) and angkong (grandpa) kept telling me that our family are descendants of the Li family who founded the T'ang dynasty, and basically they never stopped blabbing about it, well my ama stopped cause my angkong died so she didn't have anyone who would willingly blab about it. But it's nice to know where I came from, it's just not something that I really need to take at heart, cause well the T'ang dynasty is over, and I really don't care about what happened in the past. Only the present matters for me.

For me, it's nice knowing about my own family history but I think it's really unnecessary to dwell on it. Live your own life and not someone else's. Make your own legacy and not continue the legacy of others. Carpediem I say. But that's just my opinion.


Who are you to tell them about their family's history?


I wasn't aware that I told whoever this "them" you speak of about "their" family's history.



Meh, you're right.

To me, it is crucial since I come from a very important past that has been overthrown and erased forever. That is why I find important to family history just to understand which incan tribe I started out as. Just for the interest. As for those who believe that it is their entire life, they should understand it makes no difference, I agree.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.