First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Public schools in america
26261 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/13/07
O_o... wow.

I live in Canada and go to a public school. Nothing like what they say in the video. Except in fifth grade.
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 11/13/07
Has anyone even watched the second video?
710 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / England
Offline
Posted 11/13/07
that sh*t dont happen in england lmao.
25255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Hell
Offline
Posted 11/13/07
public schools here in the Us is ok...........i have been attending public schools and it was great.............and sometimes it is a little bit crowded
105 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/13/07
That video was so slanted it belongs on fox. It was almost propaganda. If you want to get your point across what do you do... go to the schools that have some of the worst results, then go to the below average classes to find the answer to your question. Also there's a video exactly like the Americans are stupid one in england. They do the exact same thing there's only 1 question answered correctly.
Most people look at this video from other countries and say, "Wow they must be so stupid". No not really, I'd like to see a credited study done with facts to prove that just because someone's from America they're less intelligent then someone from another country.
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 11/13/07

csc708 wrote:

That video was so slanted it belongs on fox. It was almost propaganda. If you want to get your point across what do you do... go to the schools that have some of the worst results, then go to the below average classes to find the answer to your question. Also there's a video exactly like the Americans are stupid one in england. They do the exact same thing there's only 1 question answered correctly.
Most people look at this video from other countries and say, "Wow they must be so stupid". No not really, I'd like to see a credited study done with facts to prove that just because someone's from America they're less intelligent then someone from another country.

I am well aware the videos are biased, however it was the best I could find. There's not much else availible on youtube because people enjoy exagerated news. I also am not implying that the British aren't stupid, I'm just focusing on the USA at the moment.
1646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Columbus, OH
Offline
Posted 11/13/07
I really like my public school. Diverse student body, lots of clubs, teachers are amazing. Though some I'll admit aren't great. My middle school was terrible, and honestly, 8th grade we barely learned any of the requirement that were made for 8th grade.
3782 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / SD....dati sa MN
Offline
Posted 11/13/07
even if Philippines is poor they still have better standards ...but then...not all public schools are that bad..i mean im in a public school myself...thank goodness it's in Minnesota...im in honors classes but it's a piece of cake compared to what we were doing in the Philippines...
10149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Home of SeaBiscuit
Offline
Posted 11/13/07

csc708 wrote:

That video was so slanted it belongs on fox. It was almost propaganda. If you want to get your point across what do you do... go to the schools that have some of the worst results, then go to the below average classes to find the answer to your question. Also there's a video exactly like the Americans are stupid one in england. They do the exact same thing there's only 1 question answered correctly.
Most people look at this video from other countries and say, "Wow they must be so stupid". No not really, I'd like to see a credited study done with facts to prove that just because someone's from America they're less intelligent then someone from another country.


Its 20/20 a respected source.

The problem is that the public schools here are EPIC failures as a whole. Everyone knows that already. As the testing results showed, Canadian education system was in the top 10 (5 I believe...forgot) and the United States were far back.

Both are taught in Mainly in English. Hell those Belgium kids have better English then so many people I know. The video proved valid points on how we can change the system but as always fricken retarded unions stops everything.
9140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Sunny San Diego,...
Offline
Posted 11/13/07
O-O
no comment..
1452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / U.S.A
Offline
Posted 11/13/07
well i am not sure rite now but after summer i'll if INDIA or AMERICA have harder stuff cause i am going to india and my friend is there so i'll just look at her hw and tests and stuff though i do think they have higher standards cause i studied there till 5th grade when i moved to america
Posted 11/13/07

Mondo09 wrote:


lumiina wrote:

Education is corrupt in America, atleast in public schools it is.

So? What can we do about it? Why are we just sitting here and ranting? We should complain to the people in charge. To people who can complain to even bigger people in charge. Complain to your school heads, complain to the government, complain to the news. It may be too late for us, since we're almost completely done with our high school education, and are moving onto college, but it could change for the future generations.


Not in public school anymore, I'm home-schooled. I've learned more than I could have ever dreamed of in public school! I can't quite remember what, but somewhere in the 60's something fucked the public school system. If you can become smart and successful after surviving the public school system, you are an elite! Sure are a lot of Americans who survive it too.



Does it really matter how much we learn in public school? Whether we're learning less or more than you. I mean, I love history, and math, and science is okay, but are we going to use it? Being intellectual is great, and I love having knowledge, but success does not come from knowledge alone! Success comes from wisdom, the application of knowledge. And depending on what you want to do with your life, you don't absoluetly need all the stuff you're learning in school, instead you need the knowledge in the area that you want to work in.

For example, I want to teach English as a second language to highschoolers in Japan. Not even my English class is going to help me with that in my public school, because that English is far too advanced for me to be teaching. My French class doesn't help much either, because I totally disagree with the way my school teaches languages. I'm teaching Japanese to myself, gaining experience on my own, hoping that I can use my own expeirences learning a language, and show my future students how they can learn one too. I use the method from www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/ , not a method I found in my public school, but one I found on my own. It's not a method that would be taught in private schools either.

When it comes down to it, the knowledge you obtain from any school, public, or private, isn't going to make that much of a big difference. School is where we become more interesting, where we widen our opinions. And it's good to be smart, but how smart you are doesn't determine your successfulness. Only your wisdom may, and wisdom can be saught in many places, not just in schools.

Even though I do agree that public schools could be so much better than they are now, just because one goes to a public school doesn't mean that he or she has a lower chance of becoming successful.
8978 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / U A E (United Ara...
Offline
Posted 11/13/07
tried it for 2 month and soon fled back to private school....
10149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Home of SeaBiscuit
Offline
Posted 11/13/07

lumiina wrote:


Mondo09 wrote:


lumiina wrote:

Education is corrupt in America, atleast in public schools it is.

So? What can we do about it? Why are we just sitting here and ranting? We should complain to the people in charge. To people who can complain to even bigger people in charge. Complain to your school heads, complain to the government, complain to the news. It may be too late for us, since we're almost completely done with our high school education, and are moving onto college, but it could change for the future generations.


Not in public school anymore, I'm home-schooled. I've learned more than I could have ever dreamed of in public school! I can't quite remember what, but somewhere in the 60's something fucked the public school system. If you can become smart and successful after surviving the public school system, you are an elite! Sure are a lot of Americans who survive it too.



Does it really matter how much we learn in public school? Whether we're learning less or more than you. I mean, I love history, and math, and science is okay, but are we going to use it? Being intellectual is great, and I love having knowledge, but success does not come from knowledge alone! Success comes from wisdom, the application of knowledge. And depending on what you want to do with your life, you don't absoluetly need all the stuff you're learning in school, instead you need the knowledge in the area that you want to work in.

For example, I want to teach English as a second language to highschoolers in Japan. Not even my English class is going to help me with that in my public school, because that English is far too advanced for me to be teaching. My French class doesn't help much either, because I totally disagree with the way my school teaches languages. I'm teaching Japanese to myself, gaining experience on my own, hoping that I can use my own expeirences learning a language, and show my future students how they can learn one too. I use the method from www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/ , not a method I found in my public school, but one I found on my own. It's not a method that would be taught in private schools either.

When it comes down to it, the knowledge you obtain from any school, public, or private, isn't going to make that much of a big difference. School is where we become more interesting, where we widen our opinions. And it's good to be smart, but how smart you are doesn't determine your successfulness. Only your wisdom may, and wisdom can be saught in many places, not just in schools.

Even though I do agree that public schools could be so much better than they are now, just because one goes to a public school doesn't mean that he or she has a lower chance of becoming successful.


That sounds like a stupid person talking. You wonder why most modern day philosophers are not exactly what you call "rich"? Because they have too much of this so called wisdom and not enough smarts. Being smart does depend on your success. No boss would hire a person incapable of doing their job.

You want to teach English in Japan? Great. If you don't have the credentials to show it, who cares, no one will want you. And to get those credentials you have to lab our your way thru education, public or private.

3208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / dont worry about it
Offline
Posted 11/13/07
ok but not all public schools are bad.....you cant just make a black or white statement thats just a bias answer.....
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.